InfamousGuy

Apr 4, 2019
Whomever opened the pandora's box on discord, letting the fucked up "I NEEDZ TO HAZ LIKES TO FEEL SPECIUUL"-folk get access.

Know that I would grip my hands around the airpipes and squeeze.
Allow me to translate,

If you posted the public gm and gn images on here, you're whack. Why? Because literally anyone can join the public discord and see it for themselves. So if you posted it here than you're only doing it for the likes which is whack.

At least thats my interpretation of it

TheFinder

Jun 10, 2018
Allow me to translate,

If you posted the public gm and gn images on here, you're whack. Why? Because literally anyone can join the public discord and see it for themselves. So if you posted it here than you're only doing it for the likes which is whack.

So, someone reposted here pics that are available on a public discord and this is a problem?

InfamousGuy

Apr 4, 2019
So, someone reposted here pics that are available on a public discord and this is a problem?
Well its not okay when the mindset is getting those likes. Like you said, its a public discord so anyone can join. We, as in patrons, just spammed the public chat with those gm and gn renders so that everyone on that discord can see them. I would much rather have people seeing those renders on discord than here, but to each their own.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheFinder

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Allow me to translate,

I wouldn't even bother.

TheFinder

Jun 10, 2018
Well its not okay when the mindset is getting those likes. Like you said, its a public discord so anyone can join. We, as in patrons, just spammed the public chat with those gm and gn renders so that everyone on that discord can see them. I would much rather have people seeing those renders on discord than here, but to each their own.
I see, but what is the difference between seeing them in a public discord, that even non patrons can join, and any other site?

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
I see, but what is the difference between seeing them in a public discord, that even non patrons can join, and any other site?
I honestly didn't even care much other than when no context was provided with the content. (Non canon or from game). It would be nice to have it as a perk for those who participate on the discord, but I've given up on stuff staying just over there outside of the private channel.

InfamousGuy

Apr 4, 2019
The like insensitive on this site. Other patrons allowed the gm and gn renders on the public chat because they were kind enough or just didn't care. But when it makes it way here, the ones who post don't do it because they wanna share the content amongst the masses, they do it for the likes. That's why I'd much rather have people see it on discord than this site, but like I said before, to each their own.

• Angry
Reactions: Ceesko

TheFinder

Jun 10, 2018
But when it makes it way here, the ones who post don't do it because they wanna share the content amongst the masses, they do it for the likes.
That's your opinion however, there are a lot of people in here that post to share content with others, in fact many of them do so anonymously; anyway, like you said, we'll just have to agree to disagree, have a nice day.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
The like insensitive on this site. Other patrons allowed the gm and gn renders on the public chat because they were kind enough or just didn't care. But when it makes it way here, the ones who post don't do it because they wanna share the content amongst the masses, they do it for the likes. That's why I'd much rather have people see it on discord than this site, but like I said before, to each their own.
You can also view posting things from discord, twitter etc. as advertisement. People might not go there until they see something from there posted here. I semi-regularly post things from twitter and public dev updates (mostly for smaller games) and I post in the appreciation threads quite a bit. Someone might see that appreciation post and check out the game, or the smaller game that hasn't had a comment in a week gets bumped and more people could see it. People might follow the devs twitter etc.

If they really wanted likes (no doubt some do) they'd be an uploader and post game threads. Thats where the likes are.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
You can also view posting things from discord, twitter etc. as advertisement. People might not go there until they see something from there posted here. I semi-regularly post things from twitter and public dev updates (mostly for smaller games) and I post in the appreciation threads quite a bit. Someone might see that appreciation post and check out the game, or the smaller game that hasn't had a comment in a week gets bumped and more people could see it. People might follow the devs twitter etc.

If they really wanted likes (no doubt some do) they'd be an uploader and post game threads. Thats where the likes are.
This post may go long, but I'm probably only going to do this once and as polite as I can. I've personally had a shift in attitude towards how I've spent patron money and where (not gonna go into it), so I'll just share my perspective.

Now....this may not apply to the guys who have reached what I'd call critical mass (Summertime....ICSTOR....Dr. PC....and to a slightly lesser extent Philly now anyway...these guys market in multiple places at this point)...but this is really geared towards devs making that 1k, 2k or so range...and there are a pile of them with popular games on this site. Many of these guys are supported by a few higher dollar supporters...which have been with the dev for a good chunk of time. All it takes is a few of these guys, however it happens, to get jaded and pull support....either because they stop seeing value in providing the funds (content quick to leak...burnout...whatever the reason) for games to be at risk in development. I've seen devs that get half of their entire patron receipt from 20-30 people....games that are VERY highly rated over here.

The point is...you don't have to kiss these guy's asses when talking about the game or in discussion...but I would be VERY careful when being sarcastic or obnoxious about undercutting these guys. Some joke about it and almost wear it as a badge of honor. The more that continues....the more abandoned tags you'll see on this site. Trust me.

TheFinder

Jun 10, 2018
This post may go long, but I'm probably only going to do this once and as polite as I can. I've personally had a shift in attitude towards how I've spent patron money and where (not gonna go into it), so I'll just share my perspective.

Now....this may not apply to the guys who have reached what I'd call critical mass (Summertime....ICSTOR....Dr. PC....and to a slightly lesser extent Philly now anyway...these guys market in multiple places at this point)...but this is really geared towards devs making that 1k, 2k or so range...and there are a pile of them with popular games on this site. Many of these guys are supported by a few higher dollar supporters...which have been with the dev for a good chunk of time. All it takes is a few of these guys, however it happens, to get jaded and pull support....either because they stop seeing value in providing the funds (content quick to leak...burnout...whatever the reason) for games to be at risk in development. I've seen devs that get half of their entire patron receipt from 20-30 people....games that are VERY highly rated over here.

The point is...you don't have to kiss these guy's asses when talking about the game or in discussion...but I would be VERY careful when being sarcastic or obnoxious about undercutting these guys. Some joke about it and almost wear it as a badge of honor. The more that continues....the more abandoned tags you'll see on this site. Trust me.
I have a hard time believing that people that decided to pledge a lot of money to a developer would drop their support simply because someone had a sarcastic attitude towards them on a pirate site, especially to such an extent that would endanger the survival of the game itself, it seems a very childish reaction to me.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
I have a hard time believing that people that decided to pledge a lot of money to a developer would drop their support simply because someone had a sarcastic attitude towards them on a pirate site, especially to such an extent that would endanger the survival of the game itself, it seems a very childish reaction to me.
Not even directly towards them. Most of these guys don't even bother to have an account or at least not be active over here. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess. But if you don't think some of these guys get sick of content showing up over here minutes after its released when they are paying north of 30-40 a month...I've got some news for ya. haha And to a dev that makes 1k a month....it only takes a few of them to cut that check in half. Like I said....this is my perspective...and its coming from a guy who just cut his patreon commitments in half. Eventually...if what you are paying for is always out there for free...you quit paying for it.

MadMac-88

Dec 8, 2017
Before things get heated...

How long has Philly been gone, 36 hours? Maybe we need to bring in a substitute Canadian to make sure things stay civil? :FacePalm: :LOL:

I know it's beyond frustrating to pay/support a dev and see Patreon content posted here, but that's the nature of entertainment today. Every thing can be had for free if you know where to look. And since this is a piracy site it's really pointless to make an issue of exclusive content (I know what started this was the Discord images, but you get my point) getting posted here. That's how this place works. And does it really matter if it's posted all for the Likes or out of generosity? Is a patron going to be less annoyed if it's done because someone simply feels like sharing? Doubtful. May as well accept this place for what it is or ignore it. There must be some value to this circus of a website or devs wouldn't post here at all, right? How much value is a whole other topic.

edit: Supporting the developers should always be encouraged. If you have the funds you should donate instead of pirate, obviously. My point was that one shouldn't expect exclusive content to not be posted here. This site is based on piracy. That's all I was getting at. Also, there is no developer who is more deserving of your extra cash than Philly. He and his small group always put out superb entertainment.

We need Canto Forte to get in here to change the...M .O .O .D...of this place ... N...O...W ...
Someone is gonna have to post some "sweet cotton candy dames" on this page in order to entice The Enigma here... Maybe we'll get a Canto Post™ and you'll Shirley get some Likes for your own post ;)

Last edited:

Burt Reynolds Mustache

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 19, 2017
OK, not going to call it too heated, as this discussion has been pretty fair all across the board.

But I will say, and this is just coming from me, if you like a game, and you can, please do donate. Even if it's only a few bucks a month every little bit helps. Nearly everyone in this space works their butt off getting these games out. High-quality stuff like you see here, from Hopes, Domiek, motkeys, Belle, and Mr. Knobb, to name way too few, isn't cheap in either time taken, or cost of assets. Nearly everyone here also codes their own games as well, so add that on to the commitment. The dark secret of this community is that if a game breaks even for the cost of assets they are lucky. If a dev is able to make a real living off of it? That's not quite hit the lottery rare, but still pretty rare. And that cost isn't counting the hours that are put in each and every month, which even if you wanted to say was paid at minimum wage, would be even more. I can also count on one hand the number of devs I know of who don't also have a day job. Devs as a general rule do this because they love it.

So please, donate when you can, if not to us, then to another game you love. (We won't say no, though!) If you honestly can't afford it, or have other issues, no one will judge you for it, but help in whatever ways you can. Tell others about CoBD, and all the other games that are special. Put one of Krull's awesome sig banners down there with a link to the Patreon, tell any let's players you like to give us a shot. In a space like this, every little bit helps. Philly has IMO the best fanbase in the adult gaming space, so let's expand it!

I like the community in this thread a whole lot, there is great discussion here and people are respectful, which is something that cannot be taken for granted around here. I for one am always psyched to read your reactions and speculation both here and on our discord. And I hope to see more of it, some of you might even be getting close to figuring some stuff out.

4.70 star(s) 420 Votes