UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Dev Update #81
Very productive week! Got a lot done and have some cool stuff created as well. I had to make a few new characters as well as environments but still plowed ahead. Now sitting at 920 renders and also did a couple really complex animations bringing that number up to 54.
Writing front is going well and knocked out multiple scenes this week. Things are certainly getting interesting.
The upgrades still seem to be working very well, so I think I am in the clear there. I actually haven't had a crash in quite sometime where that would be a daily occurrence.
As always guys, stay awesome!
Philly

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

Dev Update #81
Very productive week! Got a lot done and have some cool stuff created as well. I had to make a few new characters as well as environments but still plowed ahead. Now sitting at 920 renders and also did a couple really complex animations bringing that number up to 54.
Writing front is going well and knocked out multiple scenes this week. Things are certainly getting interesting.
The upgrades still seem to be working very well, so I think I am in the clear there. I actually haven't had a crash in quite sometime where that would be a daily occurrence.
As always guys, stay awesome!
Philly
Philly completed 83 static renders and 2 animations this week. His overall average is about 48 statics and 2.8 animations per week, though it improves to 64.3 statics and 3.9 animations per week if we factor out the December vacation. Here are the carts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
We've nearly matched the size of Chapter 8, so we're probably getting close. Philly didn't mention anything about seeing the finish line so presumably there are at least a couple weeks left. We're probably looking at an April release, but it's hard to be any more precise.

I am curious how little impact Philly's new upgrades have made. He says they are working, yet his static render rate is almost unchanged since the new year. I don't think he could be that consistent if her didn't have a backlogged render queue; if that's the case, though, why isn't the rate increasing? He said this week's animations were very complex but even so it seems unlikely they consumed all the improved bandwidth. Perhaps Philly only upgraded some of his setup and he's been leaving the statics to the older hardware?

Meanwhile Ellen looks good, though I continue to find the background rather different that I envisioned when I first heard of "The Pit." Hopefully we'll have some answers in the not too distant future.

_Berto_

Feb 17, 2018
I am curious how little impact Philly's new upgrades have made. He says they are working, yet his static render rate is almost unchanged since the new year. I don't think he could be that consistent if her didn't have a backlogged render queue; if that's the case, though, why isn't the rate increasing? He said this week's animations were very complex but even so it seems unlikely they consumed all the improved bandwidth. Perhaps Philly only upgraded some of his setup and he's been leaving the statics to the older hardware?
Just want to chime in and give you more context from experience.

I am an Octane Render subscriber. They only recently released 30 series card update (late February) that allowed denoising. This really impacts how many samples you require for each render. Think 20-30K samples vs. 5-10K samples (~10 mins. vs. 30 mins. per image). Low light rendering with multiple light sources is not an easy task and Philly also doesn't cut corners - path tracing, no upscaling from what I can see and lots of render samples with little denoising and he does post work. If you look at most games, they limit the number of figures in a scene, have bright global illumination and tend to have short ~3 second animations. I think we will see much more impact in the future with longer animations, more complex scenes and better moody, low light rendering which is awesome imho.

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 410 Votes