Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
It's a beautifully made game. The dialogue isn't bad like most others that I've tried. I like the extreme scene with Shanlon, but the response choices are a bit weak. The animation could be improved too. Not just the Shanlon bits, but everywhere else. Frankly if you don't have anyone to make good animations, I am sure your users wouldn't mind just stills. At least for me, a good story, dialog and graphics is what I enjoy most. Great work! Hope you continue to do this!
The animations could be improved? He should get someone who can make better animations?
Man, CoBD has some of the top animations on this site. Everything in life can be improved, but with all due respect you're making no sense.

What's wrong with Shanlon's scene?
I think it was superbly written :unsure:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

AlienEDM

Oct 2, 2018
Can someone give me his save file beginning of new update?
Here, take my save game. I create it right in the end of chapter 8. Extract and place it on BrokenDreamers/game/saves. You will find it on the tier "Quick Saves". Enjoy!

PS: If you need to change the MC's name on my save game, just let me known.

beef-devourer

Dec 5, 2020
Exactly. I love Katie that's why she's my avatar.
Just curious, do you prefer Katie over Jill from BaDIK, or viceversa, and why?
Not in terms of appearance, only based on the personalities.

My vote for K and the reason I'll get stoned for is that J is a tad caricature character like Tybalt and Dawe. I like her as a character though.

I consider the absense of obviously grotesque characters in Philly's games as a great advantage of his scripting and writing skills.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020

My vote for K and the reason I'll get stoned for is that J is a tad caricature character like Tybalt and Dawe. I like her as a character though.

I consider the absense of obviously grotesque characters in Philly's games as a great advantage of his scripting and writing skills.
You wouldn't get stoned for that, I think. Within the last week or so there was an extended discussion in the BaDIK thread on exactly that, how Jill - especially as her virginity and naivety just keep getting played up - is becoming more and more of a caricature with every update. With any luck the scenes toward the end of the latest update will reverse the trend.

And while I'm not Takagi, I will definitely +1 Katie. She really feels like an actual human being. She lashes out when stressed, she can strongly disagree with you, she can truly dislike you depending on your choices, she has insecurities and things she won't easily compromise on, etc etc. Really feels like the whole package from a writing stand-point, and best of all, she's just lovely.

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021

I've had enough of that game. Katie to me is much more wholesome. It's a different setting, different type of VN. It's much more grown-up than the college/university drama and BS that goes along with it. I have a much deeper connection with Katie than her. Katie and Jill are both friendly, both caring, and both require trust before you can go deeper with them on an emotional level.

Katie has a bit of a fiery side of she gets pushed and she can take control of a situation when we wants to (like the initial meeting with Henry.) Jill is naïve, almost a pushover, when it comes to her situation with the MC/blackmail. Katie is much more intelligent and I'm sure much more aware of the dangers around her, while Jill really isn''t.

But overall (looks and personality) definitely Katie. Personality alone, most certainly Katie. I stopped playing DIK (took 3 games to replace it) but Katie is my #1 (well, co-#1)

I hope that's a good enough answer. (y)

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
You wouldn't get stoned for that, I think. Within the last week or so there was an extended discussion in the BaDIK thread on exactly that, how Jill - especially as her virginity and naivety just keep getting played up - is becoming more and more of a caricature with every update. With any luck the scenes toward the end of the latest update will reverse the trend.

And while I'm not Takagi, I will definitely +1 Katie. She really feels like an actual human being. She lashes out when stressed, she can strongly disagree with you, she can truly dislike you depending on your choices, she has insecurities and things she won't easily compromise on, etc etc. Really feels like the whole package from a writing stand-point, and best of all, she's just lovely.
Perfect. Love this response.

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
Totally agree with you on that. And thanks for not throwing stones.

By the way, this is just beyond my understanding why Philly's supporters number is that low, especially in comparison to Icstor. The world has gone crazy or it is some marketing&PR magic.
Agreed Philly does not get the credit he deserves. In my opinion, he's higher than DPC (I'm sure that'll ruffle a few feathers) but it's true. Everything about CoBD is perfect; art, writing, renders, girls, hell even the soundtrack is wonderful.

If I was to do a top 5 of Devs here is what it would be:

1 - Philly
2 - Drifty
3 - DPC
4 - Nyx
5 - Az/DarkBlue/TLGGames

beef-devourer

Dec 5, 2020
Agreed Philly does not get the credit he deserves. In my opinion, he's higher than DPC (I'm sure that'll ruffle a few feathers) but it's true.
I would particularly focus on dialogue writing, scripting, characters, story pacing etc.

It feels mature and while playing his games you feel that Philly is experienced himself and it is not some childish fanstasies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
I would particularly focus on dialogue writing, scripting, characters, story pacing etc.

It feels mature and while playing his games you fell that Philly is expirienced himself and it is not some childiah fanstasies.
Well even with Depraved Awakening, it was more grown up in my opinion than Acting Lessons. It's darker, the tone is somber. Yes the animations weren't as on point as they are in CoBD but it just had a great feel to the game. DPC's games seem to focus on that college/20s crowd, which I'm sure why DIK is so popular. But Philly's games have an edge, more adult-oriented, darker, more dangerous, more cutting edge.

Philly does everything right in CoBD. No two ways about it.

beef-devourer

Dec 5, 2020
Dark story sequences in DA at least were substantiated by the setting and story, as you play a criminal detective novel and since the start you feel some dark horrfic activities nearby to be exposed.

As for the drama part, I'd suggest to compare Maya's "drama" in BaDIK and Gloria's drama in CoBD.

Without touching the graphical and technical side, I would only mark that some characters in DA went underused and some characters' background was not properly disclosed.

Regarding CoBD, Philly significantly improved his skills compared to his previous game. It means he tries to learn new techniques to make the game experience better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
Maya's drama crap never pulled me in and it wasn't as engulfing as Gloria's, but like I said, two different settings and themes (it sill works though,) but yes, still drama and a big part of the "main storyline" of BaD.

Certain characters in DA could've (and should've) had more screen time and depth to them but he certainly fixed that in CoBD.

Reactions: beef-devourer

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Agreed Philly does not get the credit he deserves. In my opinion, he's higher than DPC (I'm sure that'll ruffle a few feathers) but it's true. Everything about CoBD is perfect; art, writing, renders, girls, hell even the soundtrack is wonderful.

If I was to do a top 5 of Devs here is what it would be:

1 - Philly
2 - Drifty
3 - DPC
4 - Nyx
5 - Az/DarkBlue/TLGGames
Really, Halfway House is that good? I remember trying it at some point, but it didn't take me long to decide that the people barely acted like people (though come to think of it, maybe it was just the one character...). But I like your taste, so maybe I'll give it a proper shot.

I'd personally squeeze 'Zanith' and 'Mutt & Jeff' into that list, though.

So, on the subject of writing and Depraved Awakening, I felt DA had way less weight behind the characters because everyone seemed to take everything so well in stride. Like, "Oh no, this is terrible, literally traumatic!" at first, and then the scene would quickly transition to "Oh well, let's bang, wanna try anal?" or something equally tone-deaf. I'm exaggerating because I can't actually recall any of the scenes that made me feel that way, but to me it did feel like the characters were somehow very detached from everything going on around them (unlike in CoBD), which makes it especially odd to me that people in here seem to go nuts about Carli.

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
Really, Halfway House is that good? I remember trying it at some point, but it didn't take me long to decide that the people barely acted like people (though come to think of it, maybe it was just the one character...). But I like your taste, so maybe I'll give it a proper shot.

I'd personally squeeze 'Zanith' and 'Mutt & Jeff' into that list, though.

So, on the subject of writing and Depraved Awakening, I felt DA had way less weight behind the characters because everyone seemed to take everything so well in stride. Like, "Oh no, this is terrible, literally traumatic!" at first, and then the scene would quickly transition to "Oh well, let's bang, wanna try anal?" or something equally tone-deaf. I'm exaggerating because I can't actually recall any of the scenes that made me feel that way, but to me it did feel like the characters were somehow very detached from everything going on around them (unlike in CoBD), which makes it especially odd to me that people in here seem to go nuts about Carli.
Well to me HH is good (maybe just because of how much I really like Emily...?)

It's got some rough areas with the wording and dialogue, but Az said it was meant to be that way for the MC. It's a very enjoyable game to me.

And about Carli, oh mama. I get the cold chills and warm fuzzies seeing Carli in the VR segment in CoBD. Talk about one of my all-time favorite VN girls.

Reactions: MoarDakka123
4.70 star(s) 417 Votes