VN Ren'Py Color of My Sound [Ch.3A v6] [Gallant Trombe]

4.30 star(s) 69 Votes

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I think one of the dev's post in this thread explained why he chose to not have music. It's missing for a reason that fits the story.
Ohh I would like to know that.

The main character did say he has some trouble hearing music, anymore, that he can only hear noise. Maybe it is related to that.

Unless the reason is just outstanding on the story, though, I tend to believe music is really essential in a good VN. But I will give the benefit of doubt!

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Ohh I would like to know that.

The main character did say he has some trouble hearing music, anymore, that he can only hear noise. Maybe it is related to that.

Unless the reason is just outstanding on the story, though, I tend to believe music is really essential in a good VN. But I will give the benefit of doubt!
Yes, the lack of music or more specifically, MC's inability to hear music, is directly related to the trauma he experienced on the day of infamy and his traumatic experiences during the war that followed. As you are likely aware, MC was a budding young musician prior to those fateful and tragic events.

As a retired professional musician, I have made several suggestions on how MC's altered perception of music could be demonstrated in game and still include a sound track. I even offered to help find royalty free music to use for said soundtrack however none of those ideas resonated with the dev who has a rather specific vision for this project. I can certainly respect that and appreciate that POV. I could not bring myself to tell another artist how to create their art. I do make suggestions but they are just that, suggestions, never demands. You are merely asking the same questions that many of us have asked ourselves so you are in good company, my friend. I certainly appreciate it when a dev has a specific vision and executes that vision on point. So many devs just put up one patron poll after another and rarely have an original thought of their own. That is not the case here, fortunately. I am a big proponent of devs telling the story they have and want to tell rather than story by committee vote! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: This dev is delivering their unique vision in a very special way. There may even be music coming on the horizon but it is too early to tell at present.

This AVN has been conceived and executed on a masterpiece level thus far IMHO. I long to see more in time. I hope my little input here helps you...:)

Adventure ever on my friend, Phat;)(y)

Last edited:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Yes, the lack of music or more specifically, MC's inability to hear music, is directly related to the trauma he experienced on the day of infamy and his traumatic experiences during the war that followed. As you are likely aware, MC was a budding young musician prior to those fateful and tragic events.

As a retired professional musician, I have made several suggestions on how MC's altered perception of music could be demonstrated in game and still include a sound track. I even offered to help find royalty free music to use for said soundtrack however none of those ideas resonated with the dev who has a rather specific vision for this project. I can certainly respect that and appreciate that POV. I could not bring myself to tell another artist how to create their art. I do make suggestions but they are just that, suggestions, never demands. You are merely asking the same questions that many of us have asked ourselves so you are in good company, my friend. I certainly appreciate it when a dev has a specific vision and executes that vision on point. So many devs just put up one patron poll after another and rarely have an original thought of their own. That is not the case here, fortunately. I am a big proponent of devs telling the story they have and want to tell rather than story by committee vote! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: This dev is delivering their unique vision in very special way. There may even be music coming on the horizon but it is too early to tell at present.

This AVN has been conceived and executed on a masterpiece level thus far IMHO. I long to see more in time. I hope my little input here helps you...:)

That is very interesting. We will have to wait and see, then.

Besides that, I have no complaints, and if this was a decision made by dev, I can only wait to see what happens. Anyway, so very happy with the result.

gAngel123

Feb 9, 2023
I was really doubtful whether the intentional lack of sound would work or not, but I have to say that it really feels fitting and I think it's definitely used well.

I'm not caught up on the latest content but I'm really enjoying so far, good job.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020

As a retired professional musician, I have made several suggestions on how MC's altered perception of music could be demonstrated in game and still include a sound track. I even offered to help find royalty free music to use for said soundtrack however none of those ideas resonated with the dev who has a rather specific vision for this project. I can certainly respect that and appreciate that POV. I could not bring myself to tell another artist how to create their art. I do make suggestions but they are just that, suggestions, never demands. You are merely asking the same questions that many of us have asked ourselves so you are in good company, my friend. I certainly appreciate it when a dev has a specific vision and executes that vision on point. So many devs just put up one patron poll after another and rarely have an original thought of their own. That is not the case here, fortunately. I am a big proponent of devs telling the story they have and want to tell rather than story by committee vote! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: This dev is delivering their unique vision in a very special way. There may even be music coming on the horizon but it is too early to tell at present.

My suggestion would be to put it in a title card at the start of the game. Something along the lines of what you said but in one sentence. As in:

THE LACK OF MUSIC IN THIS GAME IS AN INTENTIONAL ARTISTIC CHOICE AND HAS A PLOT EXPLANATION.

That would both clear things up for everyone and turn a seeming negative (lack of soundtrack) to a positive in the form of getting the player hooked.

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
My suggestion would be to put it in a title card at the start of the game. Something along the lines of what you said but in one sentence. As in:

THE LACK OF MUSIC IN THIS GAME IS AN INTENTIONAL ARTISTIC CHOICE AND HAS A PLOT EXPLANATION.

That would both clear things up for everyone and turn a seeming negative (lack of soundtrack) to a positive in the form of getting the player hooked.
I wouldn't say I like spelling out my design intentions in-game. I'm fine with people not liking the game because of the lack of music. Even if it weren't an artistic choice, it would have been a practical choice. Either way, some people won't enjoy it, and that's fine.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
I wouldn't say I like spelling out my design intentions in-game. I'm fine with people not liking the game because of the lack of music. Even if it weren't an artistic choice, it would have been a practical choice. Either way, some people won't enjoy it, and that's fine.
Do your thing homie... no soundtrack, red fullscreen light flash, this is all your vision. Don't compromise.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Fair enough I guess. But I would at least suggest putting it in the opening post so that people don't come here every 5 minutes asking the same question.

Reactions: EndlessNights

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018

In theory you are correct. But in reality a title card providing some game-related info is very often ignored and discussion boards still get filled with "why is this game like that?" questions.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
In theory you are correct. But in reality a title card providing some game-related info is very often ignored and discussion boards still get filled with "why is this game like that?" questions.
Yes, but at the very least if it's in the game or at least the opening post we get to shame the people who post anyway instead of having the same circular discussion until we or the dev gets fed up. And that's more fun.

4.30 star(s) 69 Votes