Deleted member 2744688

Come Home
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
rjrhodes
Playing your game I see strange things. You often have a text description of a character, including facial features, color of hair and so on. And more than one time what I read is not what I see. It seems like two different men making this game, one for text and another one for renders. And it looks like they don't really connected to each other.
Another strange thing I noticed. When MC meets police detective, she offers her hand for a handshake. Left hand. With working right hand, with no explanation in text. Why is that?
Hi there. Just one person making this game - me.

The issues you're talking about are due mostly to me writing all the script at one point and then going back to add in all the images later. The models are all made from assets that I have to buy, and sometimes I don't have the money or the ability to create exactly what I'd written earlier. I've tried to go back and change all those descriptions to make them match the images, but obviously if you're seeing them, then I've missed a few. I'd appreciate if you'd point them out to me so I can fix them. I've changed my process now to where I write and create images at basically the same time to avoid this type of thing.

The left hand right hand thing is just a mistake. I didn't notice. I'll go back and look at that at some point.

I'm just one person. I don't have a big crew of testers that play the game before you do. I just do what I can and release it. I appreciate when I get feedback like this though, as I'm constantly making adjustments and fixing things with every chapter, trying to make the game better.

Thanks for playing :)

Last edited:

okokok

Aug 19, 2016
Getting an exception after a dream scene in 2.04.5
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/Scenes/Prologue/activatephone.rpy", line 19, in script call
    call advancetime from _call_advancetime_3
  File "game/Functions/processes.rpy", line 45, in script call
    call checkavailablescenes from _call_checkavailablescenes
  File "game/Functions/affection.rpy", line 212, in script call
    call screen affectionmenuscreen
  File "game/Scenes/Jamie/Jamiewindow/jamiewindow.rpy", line 19, in script call
    call jamiewindow0 from _call_jamiewindow0
  File "game/Scenes/Suzy/suzy2.rpy", line 101, in script call
    call advancetime from _call_advancetime_62
  File "game/Scenes/Jamie/Jamiewindow/jamiewindow.rpy", line 21, in script call
    call jamiewindow1 from _call_jamiewindow1
  File "game/Scenes/Other/nicedream.rpy", line 48, in script
    jump endchapter2
ScriptError: could not find label 'endchapter2'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    jump endchapter2
  File "D:\Game Files\Renpy\Started\ComeHome-.2.04.5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1697, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "D:\Game Files\Renpy\Started\ComeHome-.2.04.5-pc\renpy\script.py", line 898, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Come Home .2.04.5
Wed Oct 21 18:49:09 2020

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
use spoilers not code.

as for fix try re-dling game and see if that fixes it. also normal or compressed version?

Deleted member 2744688

Come Home
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
Getting an exception after a dream scene in 2.04.5
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    jump endchapter2

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    jump endchapter2
  File "D:\Game Files\Renpy\Started\ComeHome-.2.04.5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1697, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "D:\Game Files\Renpy\Started\ComeHome-.2.04.5-pc\renpy\script.py", line 898, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Come Home .2.04.5
Wed Oct 21 18:49:09 2020
Hi there. Curious, did you make a save file on a previous version and then update to the new version?

This error should only be happening if the game thinks that you are in Chapter 2, which I don't believe can happen on the newest version of the game.

Chapter 4 was a restart-required chapter. Pretty sure it will be the last restart-required chapter, because I changed the way all the variables work in the game there to make it more update friendly.

Sorry you're getting this error. If you want to go into the code and fix it, just look for the variable in the systeminfo file called currentchapter and change it to 4. If you don't feel like messing with that, downloading the newest version and starting a new game should make it to where that error can't happen.

Reactions: Punto

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Going on a second or more dates with Mari throws two errors. It happens post MC's question, and then also on Mari's question.

This was on a brand new save of this latest version.

The having the knowledge of having maxed out relationship is fine, it would also be nice to know if you had seen all content. Like you can max out with the school counselor very fast, but have not finished conversation choices.

Deleted member 2744688

Come Home
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
Going on a second or more dates with Mari throws two errors. It happens post MC's question, and then also on Mari's question.

This was on a brand new save of this latest version.

The having the knowledge of having maxed out relationship is fine, it would also be nice to know if you had seen all content. Like you can max out with the school counselor very fast, but have not finished conversation choices.
I've completely rewritten the date structure for the next chapter because the way that the basic dates were written in Chapter 4 was a little wonky and could throw errors like that. It'll be fixed next chapter.

Letting the player know about all the content that they have remaining for a character is a good idea. Maybe I'll make it so you can click on a character in the affection menu and it will show a more detailed stat page with all the things that you have done or haven't done with that character. I'll put it on the list of things to work on.

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
This is, essentially, a complaint, but it is meant as constructive criticism. This is an easily solvable problem. The TL/DR is that I feel like I wasted my whole first play-through, because I didn't know I had limited time, which seems like an unexpected feature for a sandbox game. Also, the game's reference to "chapter 1" at a certain point, led me to believe it would tell me when I hit "chapter 2," which it doesn't.

I just came in on this update, my first time playing. Upon reaching the point where it says, "This is the end of chapter 4 ... you can continue, but games saved after this point won't work in the next update," I became VERY confused. My first thought was, "when did I get to chapter 4?" By continuing on anyway to see what would happen, I saw there is a lot I could have done that I haven't.

I stopped talking to Suzy a while ago, when it said I had maxed her affection "for chapter 1." When I saw that, I had been expecting that something might trigger some sort of "chapter 2" title screen that never came. I expected it to relate to the main story, so I never called the Detective. I was kind of guessing that might be the trigger to start "chapter 2," so I was putting it off to try and complete everything in "chapter 1."

If by "chapter" you really just mean "update," than I would recommend just using the word update. The purpose of chapters is to break up a large story into clearly defined parts. If there is no clear separation, start, or end to the "chapters," than that's not really chapters, and it feels confusing.

I saw that the actual calendar date is tracked, but I didn't really think much about that. I figured the days would just go on indefinitely until I completed all the available content, like most sandbox style adult games I've played.

Eventually, I read through all the updates in the change-log and I think I understand now. It's sandbox, but you have a limited number of days to play, and not enough time to do everything that can be done. So, you'd have to play more than once to see all the scenes with all the different characters (which is fairly common), and if you divide your time wrong you might not reach the end of paths you've been following before running out of time (that's a new one for me). If that's the case, it would be really nice for the game to make that clear at the beginning.

Usually, games like this that end after a given number of days don't also feature sandbox game-play and freely trainable stat points. I'm not used to thinking of game time and game progress as potentially conflicting factors, at least not in this genre of games. If this works the way I now suspect it does, that's ... interesting, and kind of cool (I think?). It does make it seem more "game-like" in the sense that I could "run out of time" to solve the mystery of what happened to dad if I'm too distracted by dating, like there's some actual challenge happening in the game. I would even say it makes the game more realistic too, but ... again, I wish I'd known this when I started.

For instance, I would have kept separate save tracks for different characters. Now, I feel like I've kind of blown the whole thing by exploring too much or wasting too much time training at the gym instead of focusing on specific characters, and I should just delete all my saves to start over. So, not only do I have to play it more than once, which is fine, but this entire first play-through is a bust and a waste of time that could have been prevented if the game told me this was how it would work. It kind of feels like I've been punished for exploring ... in a sandbox game.

As someone who grew up in an age where you were expected to read the instruction manual rather than being fed all the how-to during play, I don't think I've EVER said this before, but I kind of wish this game had started with a tutorial.

Deleted member 2744688

Come Home
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
This is, essentially, a complaint, but it is meant as constructive criticism. This is an easily solvable problem. The TL/DR is that I feel like I wasted my whole first play-through, because I didn't know I had limited time, which seems like an unexpected feature for a sandbox game. Also, the game's reference to "chapter 1" at a certain point, led me to believe it would tell me when I hit "chapter 2," which it doesn't.

I just came in on this update, my first time playing. Upon reaching the point where it says, "This is the end of chapter 4 ... you can continue, but games saved after this point won't work in the next update," I became VERY confused. My first thought was, "when did I get to chapter 4?" By continuing on anyway to see what would happen, I saw there is a lot I could have done that I haven't.

I stopped talking to Suzy a while ago, when it said I had maxed her affection "for chapter 1." When I saw that, I had been expecting that something might trigger some sort of "chapter 2" title screen that never came. I expected it to relate to the main story, so I never called the Detective. I was kind of guessing that might be the trigger to start "chapter 2," so I was putting it off to try and complete everything in "chapter 1."

If by "chapter" you really just mean "update," than I would recommend just using the word update. The purpose of chapters is to break up a large story into clearly defined parts. If there is no clear separation, start, or end to the "chapters," than that's not really chapters, and it feels confusing.

I saw that the actual calendar date is tracked, but I didn't really think much about that. I figured the days would just go on indefinitely until I completed all the available content, like most sandbox style adult games I've played.

Eventually, I read through all the updates in the change-log and I think I understand now. It's sandbox, but you have a limited number of days to play, and not enough time to do everything that can be done. So, you'd have to play more than once to see all the scenes with all the different characters (which is fairly common), and if you divide your time wrong you might not reach the end of paths you've been following before running out of time (that's a new one for me). If that's the case, it would be really nice for the game to make that clear at the beginning.

Usually, games like this that end after a given number of days don't also feature sandbox game-play and freely trainable stat points. I'm not used to thinking of game time and game progress as potentially conflicting factors, at least not in this genre of games. If this works the way I now suspect it does, that's ... interesting, and kind of cool (I think?). It does make it seem more "game-like" in the sense that I could "run out of time" to solve the mystery of what happened to dad if I'm too distracted by dating, like there's some actual challenge happening in the game. I would even say it makes the game more realistic too, but ... again, I wish I'd known this when I started.

For instance, I would have kept separate save tracks for different characters. Now, I feel like I've kind of blown the whole thing by exploring too much or wasting too much time training at the gym instead of focusing on specific characters, and I should just delete all my saves to start over. So, not only do I have to play it more than once, which is fine, but this entire first play-through is a bust and a waste of time that could have been prevented if the game told me this was how it would work. It kind of feels like I've been punished for exploring ... in a sandbox game.

As someone who grew up in an age where you were expected to read the instruction manual rather than being fed all the how-to during play, I don't think I've EVER said this before, but I kind of wish this game had started with a tutorial.
Thank you so much for this criticism! I truly appreciate it and will definitely be thinking about it.

Calling the updates Chapters is probably a mistake, you're right. It's something that I did at the beginning, because I'm a novel writer and that's how my brain organizes things. I've been thinking about changing that, because I agree with you, it doesn't quite fit here. This post is a push to make me go ahead and do that.

The calendar days is something else I've thought a lot about. When I started this game, I had just finished playing Persona 5 and I was going for something like that - where you have to actually decide how you want to spend your time and you're not able to do everything that you want to do. I'll admit that it may be a little too gamey for the adult genre. I've been thinking hard about changing it so that you can play indefinitely and move the time forward as you want, but then that takes away from the actual game-ness of the game, and makes your choices not really matter all that much. I'm still not sure how I want to move forward on this.

I will definitely be adding a tutorial at the beginning, or at least some small thing that tells you how the date system work. If I don't just change the date system completely.

Thanks again for the feedback. I know that you found it frustrating, but I hope you had some fun with what you played and you'll give it a try again in the future.

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
Thank you so much for this criticism! I truly appreciate it and will definitely be thinking about it.

Calling the updates Chapters is probably a mistake, you're right. It's something that I did at the beginning, because I'm a novel writer and that's how my brain organizes things. I've been thinking about changing that, because I agree with you, it doesn't quite fit here. This post is a push to make me go ahead and do that.

The calendar days is something else I've thought a lot about. When I started this game, I had just finished playing Persona 5 and I was going for something like that - where you have to actually decide how you want to spend your time and you're not able to do everything that you want to do. I'll admit that it may be a little too gamey for the adult genre. I've been thinking hard about changing it so that you can play indefinitely and move the time forward as you want, but then that takes away from the actual game-ness of the game, and makes your choices not really matter all that much. I'm still not sure how I want to move forward on this.

I will definitely be adding a tutorial at the beginning, or at least some small thing that tells you how the date system work. If I don't just change the date system completely.

Thanks again for the feedback. I know that you found it frustrating, but I hope you had some fun with what you played and you'll give it a try again in the future.
I definitely had fun playing it, and despite the "set-back" I fully intend to play through it again a time or two, now that I know what's up. I actually do find the idea cool, and I definitely have no problem with an adult game being an actual game. So, I say if that was your idea from the start, than stick with it, calendar and all (see my Dr.PinkCake quote, below :p ). Adding some explanation/tutorial will totally fix it, for me at least. You might also include in the update logs what the current "last day" is, but that's really up to you as well, I wouldn't say it "needs" that. Not knowing would create more tension, after all.

Thanks for making the game. I'm enjoying the story and looking forward to more! I know some people feel like a lot of games in this genre are derivative, but what many people call "cliche" I call a friendly familiar "trope." Often tropes are in and of themselves clues as to how to proceed. You can trust that genre fans will see what needs to happen, because they know the trope. Speaking of which, somebody said something about girls being mad at their brothers for leaving for college in these games. I think you'll find that usual calls back to their father not being present. In other words, it's about abandonment issues. This tells you the character is looking to you for support, even if she won't admit it, as opposed to say, a girl that wants to dom you.

Kuniyoshi

May 24, 2017
I enjoyed the game up until the last update. It can be a pain to have to restart, but I wasn't that fussed honestly....What I didn't like were the school mini-games- but that's just me - they have completely put me off catching up to where I was and doing the new content. I agree with most criticisms posted before me, I definitely want to be able to do everything in one playthrough personally. At least I wouldn't be bothered to play through multiple times considering the studying and mini-games are tied and time consuming...Maybe if you had one or the other, studying to pass or just the mini-games with a set casual time limit? As for your inspiration from Persona 5, I think the homing in on only a few ideas concept only works for the Persona games because there is a new game + option involved.

Don't get me wrong though, I've enjoyed the story so far and I like all the girls. I am looking forward to where you go with it all :)
Obviously, I don't expect to be catered to, just giving my opinion. Do whatever makes you happy!

Deleted member 2744688

Come Home
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
I enjoyed the game up until the last update. It can be a pain to have to restart, but I wasn't that fussed honestly....What I didn't like were the school mini-games- but that's just me - they have completely put me off catching up to where I was and doing the new content. I agree with most criticisms posted before me, I definitely want to be able to do everything in one playthrough personally. At least I wouldn't be bothered to play through multiple times considering the studying and mini-games are tied and time consuming...Maybe if you had one or the other, studying to pass or just the mini-games with a set casual time limit? As for your inspiration from Persona 5, I think the homing in on only a few ideas concept only works for the Persona games because there is a new game + option involved.

Don't get me wrong though, I've enjoyed the story so far and I like all the girls. I am looking forward to where you go with it all :)
Obviously, I don't expect to be catered to, just giving my opinion. Do whatever makes you happy!
Hi, I'm not sure what mini-games you mean? They were removed completely in the last update. There are no minigames in the game anymore. Make sure you are playing the newest version (.2.04.5). It's available for free on my Patreon as well - link in sig.

As for doing everything in a single playthrough - that's something I'm still considering (honestly it would make the game much easier to program and write as well). I put it up for a vote to my Patrons and they are leaning that way as well. I'll likely be getting rid of the calendar system in a future update.

Thanks for playing :)

Vince Ergaron

Jun 4, 2017
Hi,
I like the game and the way it´s going.
The only thing i try to avoid is Adrian , cause she looks like a guy ^^ .
But there are enough other girls :) .
Go on, it´s cool

GAMEPLAY7

May 4, 2020

Hello everybody! Update 5 is now available for all to download. Links are below, along with a new walkthrough.
If you're enjoying the game and you're not already a patron, consider throwing a few bucks my way. I love making games and I want to be able to do this for a long time, but I need food and your support helps me a ton.
Love you all and hope you enjoy the new content.
Downloads

mdmnsjs1

Nov 21, 2018
so whats new with this update? i played it just now and had some things i didnt get the teacher said she was going to reward the mc also you sent an email to someone in your dads office BUT you cant go back and check it also it (hints) says call andrian to help with dads laptop but how would you call her when her numbers not in your phone so are these achievable in this update? thanks

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
so whats new with this update? i played it just now and had some things i didnt get the teacher said she was going to reward the mc also you sent an email to someone in your dads office BUT you cant go back and check it also it (hints) says call andrian to help with dads laptop but how would you call her when her numbers not in your phone so are these achievable in this update? thanks
talk to adrian at school or elsewhere.

Cirdon

Nov 27, 2019
Is anyone able to get Ms. Mills hint? When I click on it I get the hint for the lady above.

4.30 star(s) 108 Votes