molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
wait. it does?
how long has this been a thing?
That person is suspicious to me. Says it steals Discord Data but he is a new member not active? Seriously and he even hides his profile yet supposedly joined in 2019? That screams someone who made an account just to hurt other peoples games. I think I may report it because it's just too suspicous.. hides profile, new member, created almost 3 years ago.

I reported the post it looks too much like someone trying to hurt developer or game reputation it is way to sus.

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
That person is suspicious to me. Says it steals Discord Data but he is a new member not active? Seriously and he even hides his profile yet supposedly joined in 2019? That screams someone who made an account just to hurt other peoples games. I think I may report it because it's just too suspicous.. hides profile, new member, created almost 3 years ago.

I reported the post it looks too much like someone trying to hurt developer or game reputation it is way to sus.
This game has Discord integration on by default and you have to manually turn it off.

Finally, to everyone who doesn't want the Discord integration: Just... turn it off. It's literally in the changelog right below the notification about the Discord integration ;) The Discord thing doesn't trigger on the start screen, only when you're playing the game so nobody ever needs to see you playing CK if you don't want them to.
2022-06-22_20-15-53.png

GarbageCat

Jun 17, 2020
...hurt this game? hahaha That's cute. Not sure anyone could hurt this game... unless Arc starts Review bombing his own game or something. Some dev did that, if I recall correctly, and they shut off reviews.

Fuscen

Dec 21, 2020
overzealous fans have to be one of the most harmful factors to a game's reputation (see also: Star Citizen), perhaps second only to actively malicious or grossly incompetent developers. by all means debate the opinion, but don't attack their character unprovoked.

nzn

Aug 9, 2019
overzealous fans have to be one of the most harmful factors to a game's reputation (see also: Star Citizen), perhaps second only to actively malicious or grossly incompetent developers. by all means debate the opinion, but don't attack their character unprovoked.
did i miss an attack? all i've seen was a person complaining about discord link privacy which is behind an amount of menus per usual (a legitimate complaint from what it seems, thank fuck i don't do discord or allow rnd games past firewall) and then got reported for being a newbie. seems a tad dis-proportioned and frankly hostile and overzelous. i hope mods are sane or that i missed something to warrant this report.

Reactions: vilewe7570

Fuscen

Dec 21, 2020
did i miss an attack?
molitar accused Iliketoeatspaghetti of active malice against the game's development in an attempt to bring the latter's character into question. I would consider that a personal attack even if name-calling isn't involved.

the bigger issue at hand is of course molitar's misuse of the reporting function in an attempt to silence a fact-based observation ("stealing" was perhaps too strong of a word, but the spirit of their observation remains proven). I don't think I need to elaborate on why censorship/suppression of freedom of speech is bad.

personally I think the "how to turn off Discord integration" tidbit should be in its own section (say, dev notes) in the OP (not that forum users ever read the OP but still).

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
personally I think the "how to turn off Discord integration" tidbit should be in its own section (say, dev notes) in the OP (not that forum users ever read the OP but still).
It's one of those options people don't think to turn off until after they discover it exist... I guess you could make a tutorial about it and report that post as Other to see if a mod would do it :)

Since the dev doesn't care to change it from an Opt-Out to an Opt-In maybe an icon on the main menu to say it's enabled would work. Meh I'm not going on discord to suggest that.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I would say that there ought to be a big, bold 'Warning: This game has Discord integration turned on by default' message right above the download links.

Reactions: nzn and vilewe7570

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
It's one of those options people don't think to turn off until after they discover it exist... I guess you could make a tutorial about it and report that post as Other to see if a mod would do it :)

Since the dev doesn't care to change it from an Opt-Out to an Opt-In maybe an icon on the main menu to say it's enabled would work. Meh I'm not going on discord to suggest that.
There is a different reason to care. It is Illegal per GDPR, CCPA, etc. Games cannot collect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) without purposeful acknowledgement from the person. Ie. You have to agree to integration of Discord into the game. I never knew it existed (and I have been playing it for many years) until this recent thread. Since I play on PC - the integration doesn't work properly (I think, since I don't have the app on my PC), but that is shady as hell from a security perspective. Since this is Ren'Py - I can view the source code and can view exactly what it is doing (when I get time). My name/email/etc. are none of this Dev's concern and I can submit a GDPR request to forget them, and they have 30 days. Technically he is already in violation for the integration without approval, and would be subject to fines - but I won't report him.

Just saying - I do this shit for a living - this is nothing to joke at. All it takes is 1 person to report, and this Dev is toast as they cannot get out of the fines. Fines are 10m Euro or 2% of worldwide sales, which ever is HIGHER if found guilty in European court. And after representing many companies/persons - so far - they have not gone lightly on this - and ignorance has not been counted as an excuse. Nor has being a small company.

nzn

Aug 9, 2019
molitar accused Iliketoeatspaghetti of active malice against the game's development in an attempt to bring the latter's character into question. I would consider that a personal attack even if name-calling isn't involved.

the bigger issue at hand is of course molitar's misuse of the reporting function in an attempt to silence a fact-based observation ("stealing" was perhaps too strong of a word, but the spirit of their observation remains proven). I don't think I need to elaborate on why censorship/suppression of freedom of speech is bad.

sadly that was my first impression as well, hence hope for sane mods. can we report this misuse or do anything? on related note how does one start a petition to have the discord info on front page (sadly as my tag Newbie suggests i never payed too much attention to the logistics of this site) because especially in light of the mass comment deletion in recent history i dont feel that safe discussing things here.

also based on legal arguments per EU rules too strong may not apply. as mordred93 said this is legal nightmare. anything where one might be liable in court of law is not much of an exageration

Last edited:

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
What personally identifiable information would Discord integration collect anyway?
Let's see what the fuss is about...

At a glance it collects the game title, version, current time, and if you're on the main menu, prologue, or playing. It then passes this to your discord client to update your status to say you're playing the game.

For detailed info about the Discord plugin used

Files to look at if you're technically inclined
game\python-packages\discord_rpc

The part that the dev sets up the plugin.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: vilewe7570

Sharpen

Apr 19, 2020
My download is 12.6. Some in game context for where it's at: school rep capped at 3, only Gwen has final heart unlocked, Lyx capped at 2... flasks? I guess? No progress with Morgana at all or Chastity at all.

My question is, if I fresh download the newest version, can I safely move my save somehow so that I do not have to start over? And would that even be a good idea, or is it better to start fresh if there has been more content added earlier in the game?

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
My download is 12.6. Some in game context for where it's at: school rep capped at 3, only Gwen has final heart unlocked, Lyx capped at 2... flasks? I guess? No progress with Morgana at all or Chastity at all.

My question is, if I fresh download the newest version, can I safely move my save somehow so that I do not have to start over? And would that even be a good idea, or is it better to start fresh if there has been more content added earlier in the game?
No more early game content for a long time I don't think, you should be able to move your save to a new version OK, though skipping so many versions it's never sure.

Reactions: Sharpen

nzn

Aug 9, 2019

most renpy games are fine to move a save to a new version (infact it saves in 2 places thus moving automaticaly). from my experiance best results happen if you save in a neutral area (like the map). you may see an error screen when you load witch has ignore and rollback options i would try those a cople of times (ignore especialy). that being save this is a lot of versions behind so it is far from guaranteed (backup your saves just in case). and of cource after sucess importing saves make a fresh save

Reactions: mrttao and Sharpen

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
After playing for a couple hours this almost feels like a kinetic novel. There is a false sense of choice. It says " You are the hero - or possibly villain" but from everything I have seen there is no "hero" or "villain". The fact you are forced to use mind control pretty much means you have to be closer to the villain.

Sharpen

Apr 19, 2020
most renpy games are fine to move a save to a new version (infact it saves in 2 places thus moving automaticaly). from my experiance best results happen if you save in a neutral area (like the map). you may see an error screen when you load witch has ignore and rollback options i would try those a cople of times (ignore especialy). that being save this is a lot of versions behind so it is far from guaranteed (backup your saves just in case). and of cource after sucess importing saves make a fresh save
Ah okay, that makes sense. TBH tho my version is so far behind that if this does not work, I'll probably just continue waiting for a later version and just start over since the more time that passes the less likely moving my save will work.

The last thing I am not sure of is, should I move my whole Save folder, or just the most recent manual save file? I am still reasonably new to managing my games in such a manner, since I would normally just wait for full release.

4.40 star(s) 234 Votes