StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
The one linked for mega rendered. So .10, I believe.
Odd, perhaps I forgot to post the fix for that or something. I'm releasing version 0.11 publicly later today though, and I physically ran through that part of the dungeon to make sure it works, so you should be able to move your save over to that and then go further in. That update adds a lot to the dungeon anyways, so you'll have more to do.

MaskOfMirth

Mar 7, 2020
Odd, perhaps I forgot to post the fix for that or something. I'm releasing version 0.11 publicly later today though, and I physically ran through that part of the dungeon to make sure it works, so you should be able to move your save over to that and then go further in. That update adds a lot to the dungeon anyways, so you'll have more to do.
Yeah I don't ever play RPGM games, until recently, so I've got no idea how to move saves.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
Yeah I don't ever play RPGM games, until recently, so I've got no idea how to move saves.
Oh, it's pretty simple. Assuming you aren't using the html5 version, just copy the save folder from your current version of the game, and paste it into the new game folder. The filepath is CiC 0.11 Anime\www\save, just make sure you put the save folder in the right place. If you are using the html5 version, then all you need to do is put your new game folder in the same place as the old one and rename it to be the same as the old game folder. Or you could copy the www folder from the new version into where the old one was, that should also work. (I'd recommend copying your game first just in case something goes wrong, but there shouldn't be any issues.)

MaskOfMirth

Mar 7, 2020
Oh, it's pretty simple. Assuming you aren't using the html5 version, just copy the save folder from your current version of the game, and paste it into the new game folder. The filepath is CiC 0.11 Anime\www\save, just make sure you put the save folder in the right place. If you are using the html5 version, then all you need to do is put your new game folder in the same place as the old one and rename it to be the same as the old game folder. Or you could copy the www folder from the new version into where the old one was, that should also work. (I'd recommend copying your game first just in case something goes wrong, but there shouldn't be any issues.)
I guess I'm just an idiot? I did what you said, I can see my saves in the save folder, but they don't show up in the load menu in-game. I think I might just wait a couple of updates for more content and then restart. Thanks though

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
I guess I'm just an idiot? I did what you said, I can see my saves in the save folder, but they don't show up in the load menu in-game. I think I might just wait a couple of updates for more content and then restart. Thanks though
Are you using the windows version of the game? Only thing I can think of, if you try to just move individual save files over you may encounter issues, because you have to have the "global.rpgsave" file from your old version moved over as well, so moving the entire save folder is recommended. I didn't know this until I just tested it out, or I would have mentioned it before.

Kotaff

Apr 29, 2018
html version didn't actually seem to have a html link, the 2 I found were for files that didn't seem to be the main game, and didn't lead anyhwere anyways.

Tried the rpgm version, and even if it seems to be a version that was made quickly in order to have a functionning game, it isn't really playable either. There doesn't seem to be many checks to make sure progression is structured. Multiple areas open at once, and you are able to go in regardless of your progression, and the game will act as if you are way past where you should be. It was a bit disorienting, and hard to know where to go, so I'm gonna wait for an update I guess.

Also, is there any depiction of your character outside of character creation? There didn't seem to be any, and that was a bit disappointing.

aruyegakk

May 12, 2018
i keep getting the error Failed to load: img/characters/actor4.png whenever i try to load my old save on 0.11 does anybody know how to fix this?

shakey2

Mar 6, 2018
If you needed a better engine for dungeon exploration/combat then you could have used a room based engine like Quest or rags. RPGmaker games need a fundamentally different approach than text based engines like Twine. You can't just copy paste your twine game into RPGmaker and call it a day. If you are gonna use RPGMaker you need a full redesign; The way you write/format scenes, learn to make decent map designs, etc. And then there is the combat engine, it's generic as fuck, how mind numbingly boring/grindy is the combat gonna be if you just use the built in system. I mean some people might enjoy that but I think most people have seen enough default rpgmaker combat for a lifetime (you can thank the DLsite market and their mass produced rpgmaker copy paste for that).

I just cannot see rpgmaker as a good choice for this particular game. Especially after playing around with what you have already. Honestly if it's gonna be rpgmaker no matter what, I'd rather see you toss the default combat entirely and opt for more simplified choice based encounters.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
html version didn't actually seem to have a html link, the 2 I found were for files that didn't seem to be the main game, and didn't lead anyhwere anyways.

Tried the rpgm version, and even if it seems to be a version that was made quickly in order to have a functionning game, it isn't really playable either. There doesn't seem to be many checks to make sure progression is structured. Multiple areas open at once, and you are able to go in regardless of your progression, and the game will act as if you are way past where you should be. It was a bit disorienting, and hard to know where to go, so I'm gonna wait for an update I guess.

Also, is there any depiction of your character outside of character creation? There didn't seem to be any, and that was a bit disappointing.
To run the game on html you have to open the www folder and run the index.html file. If you can run it on a different version though I recommend doing that, because the plugin for the character creator doesn’t work in the html version.

The multiple areas open at once was a bug with this version specifically, if you apply patch 0.11.5 that should be fixed.

There currently aren’t any depictions of the character's appearance changing outside of character creation, though you see their face when talking to other npc's. One thing I want to do is make sprites for the different clothing options for the character so it changes whenever you put something new on, but that will take quite a bit of time to do so it’s a bit down the list of my priorities.

Every time I try either of the html versions, it just gives me "Game has Encountered a Bug".
i keep getting the error Failed to load: img/characters/actor4.png whenever i try to load my old save on 0.11 does anybody know how to fix this?
I think both of these issues are due to permissions within your browsers, try the instructions in this link to fix them

If you needed a better engine for dungeon exploration/combat then you could have used a room based engine like Quest or rags. RPGmaker games need a fundamentally different approach than text based engines like Twine. You can't just copy paste your twine game into RPGmaker and call it a day. If you are gonna use RPGMaker you need a full redesign; The way you write/format scenes, learn to make decent map designs, etc. And then there is the combat engine, it's generic as fuck, how mind numbingly boring/grindy is the combat gonna be if you just use the built in system. I mean some people might enjoy that but I think most people have seen enough default rpgmaker combat for a lifetime (you can thank the DLsite market and their mass produced rpgmaker copy paste for that).

I just cannot see rpgmaker as a good choice for this particular game. Especially after playing around with what you have already. Honestly if it's gonna be rpgmaker no matter what, I'd rather see you toss the default combat entirely and opt for more simplified choice based encounters.
I was able to basically recreate the combat system I had in Twine in RPG Maker, so I don't see how the switch to RPG Maker effected that at all, outside of the addition of combat animations.

shakey2

Mar 6, 2018
I was able to basically recreate the combat system I had in Twine in RPG Maker, so I don't see how the switch to RPG Maker effected that at all, outside of the addition of combat animations.
Again, you can't just copy paste stuff from twine. You are using a graphics based engine which is completely different from a text based engine like twine. In twine it was all about mechanics and using your imagination. But now you are working with a graphics based combat system. The mechanics in the twine version are not that far from RPGmaker's, but that was fine because it was twine and it had the visual appeal of the text-based engine. Now what you have instead is a generic low effort looking RPGmaker game. Yes it's not the exact same vanilla mechanics. But if you combine that with the vanilla rpgmaker menus, battlers, and arrangement, it makes the game far less appealing than it was in twine.

But the combat system isn't the only issue here. I feel like you ignored everything else I said and focused on that.

Last edited:

Geralt_of_Trivia

Jan 27, 2019
game occasionally crashes but i dont get an error msg or anything, it just closes usually during dialogue but sometimes while walking around inside locations

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
Again, you can't just copy paste stuff from twine. You are using a graphics based engine which is completely different from a text based engine like twine. In twine it was all about mechanics and using your imagination. But now you are working with a graphics based combat system. The mechanics in the twine version are not that far from RPGmaker's, but that was fine because it was twine and it had the visual appeal of the text-based engine. Now what you have instead is a generic low effort looking RPGmaker game. Yes it's not the exact same vanilla mechanics. But if you combine that with the vanilla rpgmaker menus, battlers, and arrangement, it makes the game far less appealing than it was in twine.

But the combat system isn't the only issue here. I feel like you ignored everything else I said and focused on that.
I’m already using commissioned enemy artwork as battlers in-game, though so far I’ve only gotten the Lizardman done, and though I’m not sure of the exact ratio, a lot of the music in-game is not default RPG Maker music, so I guess I just need to work on the menus? I just personally don’t see how going from text-based combat to the same combat with animations and music can be a downgrade, even if it were all stuff you’d seen before. The only downside I see is that it makes combat take longer, but if you set combat animations to max speed it’s still not going to take a lot of your time, and I’ve tried to set up encounter rates to avoid tedious amounts grind.

I felt like I’d addressed your other point in some way or another already, as I’ve been discussing the pros and cons of switching to RPG Maker quite a bit for the last few months, so I did pretty much just gloss over it. If you are suggesting I redesign the entire game all at once to better fit RPG Maker, that just isn’t very realistic for me, as it would take several months to do, and would become pretty draining and boring to not be working on new content as well. If you are suggesting I go back to the old content and rework it for RPG Maker while also working on new content, that’s been my plan the entire time. While adding new content, I’m going to finish porting over everything from Twine, and then go back and event things, add facial expressions to characters, ect. If I tried to do all of that at once, I’d still be porting the game over from Twine at this point. It’s going to take a while, so I’d rather put out updates and rework old content at the same time then halt updates for several more months to rework things.

game occasionally crashes but i dont get an error msg or anything, it just closes usually during dialogue but sometimes while walking around inside locations
I had actually previously fixed the error that is probably causing this, and then forgot to port that over to version 0.11. Patch 0.11.6 should fix this, but let me know if you still have issues.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
The patch is 11.4 tho...
Or am I missing something?
This thread isn't actually managed by me, I just comment on it. I just have one link to a mega folder with all available versions and patches on my TfGamesSite page, while on here there is a download link for each version, and a link with the latest patch. Sometimes the latest patch will be a bit behind though, since it's being managed by someone else, and I haven't updated the entry version myself either yet. Here is the link to patch 0.11.6

Reactions: TotallyNotFappin

shakey2

Mar 6, 2018
Saying "giving a text based game graphics can't be a downgrade" is like saying 'adding ingredients to a recipe can only make it better'. In the game design industry there is a thing called "stylistic choice", games go for an overall visual style, matching the background, characters, menu, world, etc to that style. Some styles are more appealing to some people, but the point is it's all unified so that they do not conflict with each other. That said it seems you plan on changing the menus at least (hopefully the rest of the vanilla rpgmaker assets eventually), so I will leave it at that.

I didn't really mean you should start from scratch so much as pointing out the rpgmaker assets combined with a combat system that "feels" close to the vanilla combat makes it feel like another generic rpgmaker game. I definitely think starting from scratch is a terrible idea and a recipe for development hell.

To be fair I haven't sifted through everything you have said (don't have the time) so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the rest of it, and see where this goes. It may not seem like it, but your game is one of the ones I look forward to updates for the most.

Reactions: dudefighter

Krezlik

Feb 22, 2019
As someone who's been playing this game from the very first HTML version, I think that the swap to RPGmaker can actually be a positive change overall, despite the growing pains that are currently harming the game. The engine allows you to do much more. My biggest hope for the game personally is that art gets commissioned for a paperdoll for the main character's body so we get visual feedback for their changes/transformations instead of focusing too much art on side characters and one off scenes, as this is a transformation game after all.

Reactions: StickyIckyCiC

tontoman

May 4, 2017
Sticky.. do you have some heavy custom scripts? Just curious as I use joiplay, link to app is on f95, to run rpgm renpy and html on android and it works well but not on this. Rpgm or html versions.
They mention custom scripts can be a problem. Tx.

4.00 star(s) 32 Votes