ItzSpc

Oct 7, 2020
The game really had potential, I know version 3 would be more straight up fucking, but I found the underlying story interesting.
But I stopped supporting him a while back due to the lack of updates and the time they took. It being labelled abandoned either jolts him into action, or people realize that it's dead and gone.
Unlikely the abandoned tag would jolt him into action from beyond the grave, the dev is dead.

RabidSloth

Dec 4, 2018
I knew it was going to sting when the Abandoned tag was finally applied.

While part of it is because I know a lot about what he was working on (characters, events, etc.), what he had planned for the future, and how much I was looking forward to it all, mostly I just miss my friend. This game was Matt's passion project. His baby. Even through just text I could feel his excitement and enthusiasm whenever he would talk about it (along with how he was pushing himself too hard).

I think that after only running on a few hours a sleep a day for several weeks, his body just wasn't in a condition to handle the dengue hemorrhagic fever when he came down with it. I wasn't the only one who told him that he needed to slow down and take better care of himself. I wish he'd listened. I think he was just locked into a tunnel-vision of "I'll catch up on sleep when this update is out." 0.3 was like 95% complete IIRC, and I think he was just trying to sprint to the finish line. I have a bunch of what was WIP and preview images and animations from what was going to be in 0.3. It's about 1.4gb. I know Matt would have probably been fine with me sharing them with other fans under the circumstances. But I'm not sure if there are any site rules that I'd be breaking or anything if I posted a link here. Does anyone know?

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016

While part of it is because I know a lot about what he was working on (characters, events, etc.), what he had planned for the future, and how much I was looking forward to it all, mostly I just miss my friend. This game was Matt's passion project. His baby. Even through just text I could feel his excitement and enthusiasm whenever he would talk about it (along with how he was pushing himself too hard).

I think that after only running on a few hours a sleep a day for several weeks, his body just wasn't in a condition to handle the dengue hemorrhagic fever when he came down with it. I wasn't the only one who told him that he needed to slow down and take better care of himself. I wish he'd listened. I think he was just locked into a tunnel-vision of "I'll catch up on sleep when this update is out." 0.3 was like 95% complete IIRC, and I think he was just trying to sprint to the finish line. I have a bunch of what was WIP and preview images and animations from what was going to be in 0.3. It's about 1.4gb. I know Matt would have probably been fine with me sharing them with other fans under the circumstances. But I'm not sure if there are any site rules that I'd be breaking or anything if I posted a link here. Does anyone know?
Should be totally fine as far as my past experience tells me.....

Echoesinthedarkness

May 18, 2020

damn your willingness to stick to absolutely wild ideas and rationalize them in your head instead of accepting simple fact that the guy lacked basic accountability and commitment is truly astonishing.

RabidSloth

Dec 4, 2018
Alright I guess I'll just post it then. Hopefully it's not against a rule or anything.

The folders are somewhat organized, except for the one for the twins, which could have been better. There are hundreds of images for them, and I didn't feel like going through them all, organizing them further, and looking for the repeats. But everything/everyone else should be more-or-less organized. Most of the organization was his, but I went in and tried to add a few more folders to divide up any kinks that some people might not care to see. I hope the other fans get some enjoyment out of it, even if it's bittersweet.

Dude, just stop. You are either a troll or a "crusader" at this point. Little facts and alot of yapping
I appreciate it btw. I knew there were going to be people like that. I knew Matt. They didn't. So I'll keep my own counsel on what happened. Thankfully there's an Ignore button.

Echoesinthedarkness

May 18, 2020
Dude, just stop. You are either a troll or a "crusader" at this point. Little facts and alot of yapping
who am I trolling and which crusade I am participating? there is 0 evidence to these absolutely wild speculations about guy's death, and there is a mountain of past Apes' posts, both here and on patreon, probably some in my dms too, where the guy missed every deadline, nothing came out as he planned, etc etc. like hell, why we arent talking about him being snatched by ufos or something then
oh my and he said he knew Matt. thats some really funny shit

Jaga Telesin

Apr 19, 2023
who am I trolling and which crusade I am participating? there is 0 evidence to these absolutely wild speculations about guy's death, and there is a mountain of past Apes' posts, both here and on patreon, probably some in my dms too, where the guy missed every deadline, nothing came out as he planned, etc etc. like hell, why we arent talking about him being snatched by ufos or something then
oh my and he said he knew Matt. thats some really funny shit
Because despite the fact that he usually over-burdened himself with his workload and ended up missing deadlines, he'd still stay in touch with friends and people helping with the project, nearly constantly. I had a discussion with him about helping and did so for a while as a tester, he would usually reply within a day or two. And I know he had friends working on the project and talking with him regularly.

Since then - nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Friends haven't heard anything, Discord hasn't been logged into, PMs here go unanswered. He could have abandoned the project, but he wouldn't abandon friends he made along the way. Currently the optimistic of us label him "MIA", but the chances are also good he's departed this realm. We won't know until enough time passes.

Echoesinthedarkness

May 18, 2020
Because despite the fact that he usually over-burdened himself with his workload and ended up missing deadlines, he'd still stay in touch with friends and people helping with the project, nearly constantly. I had a discussion with him about helping and did so for a while as a tester, he would usually reply within a day or two. And I know he had friends working on the project and talking with him regularly.

Since then - nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Friends haven't heard anything, Discord hasn't been logged into, PMs here go unanswered. He could have abandoned the project, but he wouldn't abandon friends he made along the way. Currently the optimistic of us label him "MIA", but the chances are also good he's departed this realm. We won't know until enough time passes.
dude I think you are putting to much weight into whole friends thing. I mean, no one knew him irl, all of it was over internet - not even mentioning the fact that he might have been viewing this "friendship" differently. and yeah he was quite active and very eager/descriptive responding to dms, but thats usual for someone of choleric temperament, same as inability to create and follow through with long-term plans. he left right after there was some flaming going on here or discord, I dont remember exactly when, but that also adds to suspicion.

Reactions: ubira and Dwemer

Cenwen

Sep 28, 2018

Can confirm that he was very enthusiastic about this project. I even got the snippets of knowledge from his work. Apparently his... 1080 GPU wasn't nearly strong enough to allow him do further renders and animations. Lot of the time he was overworking and spending time tweaking everything in photoshop.
With amount of content in 2 updates, I'd assume he was overworked as hell from that. Combined with fact that he had a day job.

I have to side with majority here. It's extremely uncharacteristic. Enthusiasm for the project was there. Activity on both F95 and patreon was present. He was actively engaging.
Amount of work alone in 2 updates is testament of how much he worked. I saw in a comment shit about "missing every deadline"
That was likely due to fact that each of the updates dropped was the size of what people make in several updates. He did really push for as much as he could possibly make so update felt like an update.
Not a 5 minute scrolling through meaningless dialogue for 2 scenes and an uninstall after that.

Shame. Such a shame :/

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes