• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
Dev is active on Discord, and the time between updates required for an abandoned tag is FAR longer than 6 months. What you're calling for is just an annoyance for the mods...
That only aplies if he posts on Patreon, or whatever site he uses for billing, the rules for abandoned tag are: 3 months without any post on billing site or 18 months without an update, so this game has the requirements for the abandoned tag, since it's been close to 4 months since the last Patreon post, and no, Discord means absolutely nothing, if the dev can't take 10 minutes to make a post in patreon every 3 months to update on the progress, for me it shows that he doesn't care about the game.

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
hope this will not be abandoned , i really like this vn..i liked bare witness too...but i have a fear about that one

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
That only aplies if he posts on Patreon, or whatever site he uses for billing, the rules for abandoned tag are: 3 months without any post on billing site or 18 months without an update, so this game has the requirements for the abandoned tag, since it's been close to 4 months since the last Patreon post, and no, Discord means absolutely nothing, if the dev can't take 10 minutes to make a post in patreon every 3 months to update on the progress, for me it shows that he doesn't care about the game.
It's the biggest sign that things for the game are in the shitter. It's the same pattern every time. Dev stops interacting with the community, Devs Patreon postings slow down to a crawl. Eventually they retreat to their discord and that's usually that. There hasn't been much time since the last post but the tell tale signs are there already.

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
hope this will not be abandoned , i really like this vn..i liked bare witness too...but i have a fear about that one
Bare witness is fine, they're just taking more time because next update will be the last, they're making all the endings in 1 go, so in a few months, it should get the completed tag, unless the devs are lieing (doesn't seem likely tho) the only thing left is rendering a lot, if you look through the last few pages, you will probably find some posts of the devs telling people what's left.

As for this one, doesn't seem like it's abandoned, it's just the dev being lazy and not posting on Patreon, if you're half as me, you'll totally ignore this game until it's completed, since a dev that can't keep up with Patreon (I don't understand how some devs can't even make 1 post every 3 months, doesn't even take long to do), doesn't seem trustworthy to me.

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
there are games that didn't received any update in 2 years (bare witnes) and got no abandon tag...this is only a few months and got the tag...weird

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
Bare witness is fine, they're just taking more time because next update will be the last, they're making all the endings in 1 go, so in a few months, it should get the completed tag, unless the devs are lieing (doesn't seem likely tho) the only thing left is rendering a lot, if you look through the last few pages, you will probably find some posts of the devs telling people what's left.

As for this one, doesn't seem like it's abandoned, it's just the dev being lazy and not posting on Patreon, if you're half as me, you'll totally ignore this game until it's completed, since a dev that can't keep up with Patreon (I don't understand how some devs can't even make 1 post every 3 months, doesn't even take long to do), doesn't seem trustworthy to me.
but he posted on discord....2 years ia a hell of a lot time , if u ask me...

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
but he posted on discord....2 years ia a hell of a lot time , if u ask me...
As I said a few posts back, Discord is not taken as oficial here, they only look activity on billing sites like Patreon or Subscribestar.

Yes, 2 years is a long time, but I'm pretty sure that if you stopped paying for 3 months, he would not give you the perks of those3 months for free, so why would you let him slip, if he wont let you? If you're doing something like this, you need to be constant, or explaing why you're not, maybe this time is not abandoned, but it shows that he maybe is starting to get burned with the project, and that's why he didn't post anything on Patreon for 3 months, like Makoto said, this is normally the first hint to an eventual abandoned, if people didn't show interest in his lack of posts, I'd be more worried, since it would mean no one cares about the game.

Its only been 6 months since the last game update and 4 months since the last patreon post.
The rule is 3 months without post on billing sites (this is the one why the abandoned tag was given here) or 18 months with no updates, maybe it's harsh, but you tell me how hard is it to take not even 10 minutes, to make a patreon post every 3 months to just say "I'm still working on the update".

Joey's Conscience

Sep 28, 2020
If that is the case, then it's just flawed ruling. It goes both ways, you said it yourself, takes the dev 10 mins to write something on Patreon, regardless if the game is being developed or not. If we're assuming a dev is lying on discord, why exactly are we taking any pieced together Patreon post at face value? We either belive the dev or we don't, I don't see logic in disregarding one method of communication over another. Just look at how long Icstor was able to avoid an Abandoned tag.

Sure, not posting progress reports for that long is concerning, and maybe this game might end up Abandoned. But to me, the actual time since the last release should bear FAR more weight than Patreon posts. There are games in here that haven't updated in over 2 years that aren't tagged as Abandoned, while this one gets tagged after 6 months...

Reactions: MasterChild

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
was an interetsing game so far. shame all these interesting games seem to get the creator abandonment

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
If that is the case, then it's just flawed ruling. It goes both ways, you said it yourself, takes the dev 10 mins to write something on Patreon, regardless if the game is being developed or not. If we're assuming a dev is lying on discord, why exactly are we taking any pieced together Patreon post at face value? We either belive the dev or we don't, I don't see logic in disregarding one method of communication over another. Just look at how long Icstor was able to avoid an Abandoned tag.

Sure, not posting progress reports for that long is concerning, and maybe this game might end up Abandoned. But to me, the actual time since the last release should bear FAR more weight than Patreon posts. There are games in here that haven't updated in over 2 years that aren't tagged as Abandoned, while this one gets tagged after 6 months...
I never said that we're assuming the dev is lieing, and I see a few things wrong with your logic there, first, this site manages a lot of games, so asking for them to refer to all possible ways of communication the dev might have is just not an option, they refer to the most important one, where the billing happens, second, connected to the previous one, Discord is totally optional, the only place where a dev is 100% sure to reach all his followers, is the billing site (at least the ones that pay which are the only ones that matter really), so that's where everyone would expect to see the last news on the game.

The time between updates is in fact more important, but if you were a paid subscriber, and only looked at updates, by the time you noticed the game was abandoned, you'd have paid god knows how many months while the dev wasn't even working on the game anymore, so the communication requirement is just a way to preemptively notice that something might be wrong with the development, and you might start thinking about if the dev diserves that sub, or another dev that cares more should have it.

This is not about knowing if the game is really abandoned or not, or if the dev is lieing or not (which is impossible to know really), it's about the fact that when a dev stops posting on Patreon, you can only expect it to go worse as time goes, for me, the Abandoned tag doesn't really mean the game is abandoned, it means the dev is not turstworthy enough to follow a schedule, and that doesn't exactly makes me want to pay him, all the work he does doesn't matter to me, if he can't post updates on his work.

So, when you see abandoned, take it more as a warning like: "hey, this dev didn't comunicate in the official site for long, be advised that he might have abandoned the game, or maybe he doesn't take this seriously".

As for games that don't have the abandoned tag, but should, that's probably because no one is following that game closely enough to notice, I'd imagine the mods don't really check all games, most of those are people reporting to ask for the abandoned tag, so if a game is past 2 years with no updates, or posts, it's either because no one cares and no one noticed, or because it has some special condition, some people for example, though Bare Witness was abandoned because there are no updates in a very long time, but the devs have said that it's taking longer, because they want the next update to be the last, and will be completed after that one.

Sorry, this was way too long, don't even know if I repeated myself anymore... At least I hope my point was stated fully and it's understandable, if you want something else, I'd rather continue on PM, I think that continueing this on this thread is pointless, snce it's not really about the game anymore xD.

Deleted member 7704

Dec 17, 2016
Honestly it takes a year to develop 1 update for this game which is really interesting but now days not unexpected. I went back 2 updates and each one took a year or so to be released. So I wouldn't expect one anytime soon. For how long the updates are it is kinda pathetic to take a year to develop something. You would think it would add some length to the game but it doesn't. But each developer is different in how they do things so you can't really hold them all to the same standard.

Crevanille

Oct 27, 2021
While it is true that the devs of of indie games are doing this in without the genuine expectation of getting paid for their work and/or have little experience with only their passion driving them, there's no excuse for a complete lack of communication with their community/playerbase. ESPECIALLY if even one or more among said playerbase do support them on platforms like Patreon and/or Subscribestar. The instant someone drops money in supporting a project and the dev takes it, regardless of whatever their circumstances are, they have an obligation to respond to that trust by at least communicating.

Trust is EVERYTHING in this line of work, with a bulk of the burden put on the devs the moment they put their first build out. If they plan to dip for any length of time, then say something about it.
If they plan to quit, then say something about it.
Otherwise, just delete the game and spare ppl the false hopes, expectations, and misplaced sympathy. Time is money.
That might sound harsh and insensitive but if the devs just don't say anything than that's really all I need to hear to lose trust and stop supporting them. And there is ZERO excuse for year long gaps between updates if the end result is ppl wondering what the hell is going on. That's not any fair to the players/supporters than it is to the devs when being unreasonably rushed.
It's a matter of accountability and good work ethics as a creator, amateur or not.

4.30 star(s) 106 Votes