armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
All this talk about patronage and income got me interested. Thought I might share what I found.

Mr.dots was doing around $12k before tax+patreons cut. That number almost tripled before 'the purge'. You'll ofc adjust your living expensed based off your income, but with such an increase over the months leading up to it, I'd think he'll manage 1 month without a payout avoiding major repercussions. And yes, things would be an uproar is he didn't release the planned v.17 update. Don't see him doing that as a gesture, but more as an necessity.
You are in big mistake.He was making 12k jan 2017 when reach 1000+ patrons.Easy to count that with 3175 patrons he makes around 25-30K:)

ninja_robot

Jan 29, 2018
I'm still on the pure Daughter route for my first run. According to the chapter 1 guide I can open the MFF route with Elena on day 12 but it doesn't say anything about that interfering with any rewards or any of the routes. Can I still get the MFF feature with Elena on the pure Daughter route?
Also, is there a reward guide (or even rewards at all) for chapter 2? Maybe that could help me in this to see what this potentially affects. They were very useful in the Chapter 1 guide to decide how to navigate the routes. I'm assuming my decisions in Chapter 1 affect Chapter 2 rewards.
(God, this Chapter stuff is really dumb. It should just be one game.)

ninja_robot

Jan 29, 2018
The "Rewards" thing in Chapter 1 was to placate players when 0.14 had few new scenes (especially on the D-only route). What you have to try to do is manage your "hidden points" such as ass, boobs, sharing etc. which allow you to see certain EXTRA scenes (I for instance have insufficient exhibitionism points to see D flashing). Tips on choosing these options to max out your preferred extra scenes are available in both walk throughs of Chapters 1 and 2.
Splitting the game into chapters is the BEST practical way. When a dl reaches ~3 gb, no one is happy. That's the reason for separate chapters. That reason is so important that it trumps ALL other reasons combined to not split the game into chapters, which are several.
I see, thanks. What about the pure Daughter route thing? Is that only relevant to that one reward in Chapter 1? Or will I lock myself out of exclusive pure daughter scenes if I have her fool around with Elena?
The Chapter 2 guide in the OP seems a little less detailed. It also doesn't mention any point requirements for scenes. Are those not a thing anymore in Chapter 2?

ninja_robot

Jan 29, 2018
The Reward way in Chapter 1 was usually : accomplish Action A, or Actions A + B. That unlocked a CG.
Hidden points are different. They add up throughout DMD. If you do not want BDSM for instance, ALWAYS avoid that option ; if you want a fuck-'em-all harem, accept whoever whenever. The walk throughs should clearly inform a player what game consequences ensue from a particular choice. But sure, the best way is to choose a consistent path.
When you like more than one option, make a save before choosing. Put details within the save--Day, Babes path--to easily go back to that spot in future. The key is to be CONSISTENT along each path. That would get you every extra scene if you played every path.
Good luck!
Elena can fuck right off then, thanks.
I probably should've gone with the harem route, it seems less stressful for a first run. But the faithful roleplaying is a lot of fun too.
I also kinda liked the rewards, even after finding out about why they exist. They are a nice addition. I'd like more of them in later versions, just with ingame tips instead of a guide.

Reactions: virtuvoid

Magixian

Feb 2, 2017
You are in big mistake.He was making 12k jan 2017 when reach 1000+ patrons.Easy to count that with 3175 patrons he makes around 25-30K:)
Fair. It was worded abit badly. What I meant is, he was making that amount of money earlier on. He then disabled showing the information like you pointed out. Since then the patreonage number has tripled. I speculate he's doing more than triple that income, as mrdots showed reliability which over time. Which should attract more committed payers instead of those tipping in a lower amount to see where this all goes.

I strongly question your graph methodology.
It was only specuation on my part, and a rough hyphothesis based of a very low amount of data. Just thought it was funning reading a few pages back, that dmd-update was released as a gesture and talks about how exceptionel it was of him to forego one month of patreon-income. That is of course nothing I would bring to the table to as a definitive explanation of why x and y is happening, but it shows something measureable in this context. Sure hope nobody would advance some agenda based of such little information. But as you share, I might be wrong there :)
Never really thought of the creators boosting their numbers by buying own 1$ patreon level access. Guess that is a thing.. Luckily for mrdots, what numbers showed before he disabled them publicly is the average$ increased. I presume in general average$ normalizes after 10$, which in any case makes a decent monthly income most people could live a few months off. Even with project and living cost.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Again, there are mysterious people--a few have actually claimed to be--who financially bankroll projects BEFORE they start. These things are NEVER mentioned so pledgers can believe only their pledges can do this and that. So it's even unclear about where the pledges go.
When BB was banned, the dev--Dark Silver--came to that thread and denied any obligation/duty to the players whatsoever. Since less successful devs simply lack the wherewithal to make a meaningful "gesture" to players (even if they actually wished it), only a successful dev would be in such a position.
I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due. The pledge system allows a dev to produce very little--perhaps a tweak of a prior scene--except excuses and say "that's all I could do that month". I'd think such shenanigans couldn't last long, but it could be done. Players don't know how much time and effort is being put into a project--all we have is a rough guess based on output. MrDots giving a "free" month qualifies as a fine gesture that I believe few other devs would have done--something like I'll keep the pledges but give you a CG gallery as an extra.
People who want to be too positive about things are probably "embellishers" or just deluded/lovestruck. People who are too negative may be right about things but it's often a deadend. I love D and I love this thread, rather than DMD. This whole VN scene is somewhat confusing because a lot of it is "smoke and mirrors".
You are right players have to take it on good faith that a dev is really doing what the dev claims, and is working to put out a quality game that is more for the players entertainment than the dev's bank account. There are devs I would say that do put players first and want to tell a well thought-out story, I can think of 2 off hand.
It seems a dev can only use a game as a cash cow for so long before players start to get frustrated and leave.
Like many DMD fans I am willing to give Mr.Dots the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to out out a good story (DMD).

♥♦ Xander Salvatore ♣♠

Salvatore Studios
Donor
Feb 11, 2018
well.. only negative i see is she's a dirty pirate.. lol.. now if she's one of those legendary disease free female pirates, she can dominate me all she wants, sex is sex :D

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
maybe we’ll get treated to one more preview picture before next friday’s release.

and then hopefully after that some news about v0.18 DMD.

T-dog

Dec 22, 2017
Probably be several months before a DMD update. He'll be focusing 90% of his attention to the new patron friendly game. We'll only see sporadic updates to DMD.

3.80 star(s) 324 Votes