Mar 29, 2018
I dont like melody simply because its killing this game, because melody exists and is taking priority this game gets 1 update every 3 months verses melodies 2 updates every 3 months. Kind of scummy IMO as this was first and dots was milking patreon subscription money but cant complain over what an independent developer chooses to do with his time I guess.
You remind me of the Big Brother but that's a h'all other different story. I know what your concern is so no hard feeling at all... I might as well comply with what you say and admit that's a bummer with all devs that are doing this. Just might as well end the freaking game before starting a new one XD, darn it

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
I get where you're coming from, I didn't want to like Melody for the same reason, but I just can't help it. Melody is just as well done as DMD and I'm glad we're now getting two quality games from Mr.Dots, even if DMD has slowed down some as a result.
He could have finished DMD and then started on melody. Just feels like a scummy move for the donaters considering they invested money into DMD for DMD and now new content is slowed to turtle speed because dev wants to work on another game at the same time for reasons.

bjornt2

Mar 9, 2018
I'll surely try it for sure XD It's gonna take me some time tho till I make up my mind... But just my opinion in advanced, I really liked Melody. From the walkthrough, to the characters, down to the plot... simple and straight forward. Time will tell though since it hasnt been finished yet. So I dont wanna rush things.
That spoiler gave me a crack though. XD God damn. haha
It is something different but it gives more choices in my opinion. Hit me up if u got questions

Reactions: ChocolateDouchebag

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
He could have finished DMD and then started on melody. Just feels like a scummy move for the donaters considering they invested money into DMD for DMD and now new content is slowed to turtle speed because dev wants to work on another game at the same time for reasons.
Mr.Dots supporters knew why he had to run Melody.
I do think D's total pervy transformation will never happen now as it was planned before we only got seasonal updates.
Like everyone I too wish DMD could have gone on as a monthly update, but you know fuck Patreon.

bjornt2

Mar 9, 2018
I do think D's total pervy transformation will never happen now as it was planned before we only got seasonal updates.
Like everyone I too wish DMD could have gone on as a monthly update, but you know fuck Patreon.
That is very true, but I hope when he gets enough Donations he can get a team on both games... (I hope he will..)

Would not mind a new version :D.

Edit: I checked this was on his website: Stay tuned here at mrdotsgames.com for news and information about the release date for DMD v19, which will be posted up at the end of July.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah we would all like that.
DMD is definitely the star of the show. However Melody does have its own fan base, but I think having to go through the uncertainty of DMD's future has made its core fan base more invested in the game.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017

Patreon games are kind of a "scam" in the first place. As a content creator you have all the incentive in the world to milk harder then naruto fillers, draw out the content instead of you know, getting to the point and completing a game? Every DMD update I find myself bored and skimming through all the filler to get to the freaking point. For the adult fetish game genre content is so starved devs can do whatever the fuck they want and still grow fanbase, no real competition.

In theory though patreon is just a platform that can be replaced with a simple donate button via paypal. People like tokens, participation trophies, feeling good and badges so not sure if it would make as much as 5 dollar a month look at me I am supporting your game patreon badge provides.

Reactions: bjornt2

bjornt2

Mar 9, 2018
Patreon games are kind of a "scam" in the first place. As a content creator you have all the incentive in the world to milk harder then naruto fillers, draw out the content instead of you know, getting to the point and completing a game? Every DMD update I find myself bored and skimming through all the filler to get to the freaking point. For the adult fetish game genre content is so starved devs can do whatever the fuck they want and still grow fanbase, no real competition.

In theory though patreon is just a platform that can be replaced with a simple donate button via paypal. People like tokens, participation trophies, feeling good and badges so not sure if it would make as much as 5 dollar a month look at me I am supporting your game patreon badge provides.
I very agree with, you about Patreon. Tbh there should be coming something for Adult "stuff".

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
I very agree with, you about Patreon. Tbh there should be coming something for Adult "stuff".
Bro the point though is its just a platform to send someone money. You dont need a platform to even do that. For example you could just submit a game here, and provide a link to a paypall donate feature if you want to support the content.

Its just a structured donation system thats only needed because people are strange. Nah i wont donate 5 dollars a month unless I can feel good about myself and have a pledge badge to go with it, with a private chat with a community of other pledgers. (Discord or even this could replace that).

The whole system is just asinine, but its needed because people are dumb.

Reactions: bjornt2

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

I think practicality, the notoriety of the Patreon platform along with the relative ease of collecting payments with Patreon are reasons many dev.s don't go it alone. It would be very hard to attract doners to a game if no one knows the game exists. Patreon is well known enough that people will browse the site looking for games. Going it alone means you either are so famous people come looking for you or you have a bag of capital with which to pump into advertising.
Apparently paypal banning adult content is often sited as one of the reasons Patreon began to limit content.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
I think practicality, the notoriety of the Patreon platform along with the relative ease of collecting payments with Patreon are reasons many dev.s don't go it alone. It would be very hard to attract doners to a game if no one knows the game exists. Patreon is well known enough that people will browse the site looking for games. Going it alone means you either are so famous people come looking for you or you have a bag of capital with which to pump into advertising.
Apparently paypal banning adult content is often sited as one of the reasons Patreon began to limit content.
I understand a lot of work gos into making a game, but from what I have seen patreon, much like steam early access, is a way to setup a milk farm with no real motivation to complete the game. Why not complete the game first, then release it with a donate button? Thats my 2 cents on the issue.

But for example in DMD he could have just asked his fanbase to make direct donations. Its not a structured milk factory but it will get the job done. If I ever become a content creator I am going to release a game and be like here is a donate button.

I am in a position to do that, but if I wasnt I wouldn't rely on Amoral adult taboo content to pay my bills, rather get a real job.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
Worked for Hugh Hefner. lol
And Hugh Hefner produced finished products and sold them. It takes capital to start a business. Dont know his background but I am sure he was in a position to do that instead of begging for donations for meager monthly updates in a naruto filler style milk factory.

Adult games are such a niche market, incest taboo even more so. If you are getting into this business for the $$$ you are doing it wrong.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
I also cant help but wonder how many people are still supporting MrDots on Paytreon, even when they only want DMD. Since they know he still creates it, im pretty sure quite a few people just never stopped their pledges. And it kinda makes sense, the platform was meant to support a creator, not a single project. Just hope he also recognizes that all his current supporters might not necessarily be for Melody only.

Personally, Melody doesnt really cut it for me, a Paytreon sanctioned project is slightly too vanilla for me, thats not what I play fictional games for. And from what I heard, he did also get quite a few bucks through the Buy me a coffee thing, and that was mostly for DMD production only. I wouldnt be against faster DMD cycle but well, at least its not abandoned.

Mar 7, 2018
I wish the scheduling would have been flipped with DMD coming out every 2. That way Melody is still being developed to save DMD, DMD gets to be completed sooner. Which then allows Melody to be the focus.
Yes, this would be more fair, as it is now, it really sucks for those of us that love DMD and supported that game so long. I hoped that Melody 2 and DMD 1 would only be in the beginning to get that game "started" but does not seem so sadly.

Mar 7, 2018
I also cant help but wonder how many people are still supporting MrDots on Paytreon, even when they only want DMD. Since they know he still creates it, im pretty sure quite a few people just never stopped their pledges. And it kinda makes sense, the platform was meant to support a creator, not a single project. Just hope he also recognizes that all his current supporters might not necessarily be for Melody only.

Personally, Melody doesnt really cut it for me, a Paytreon sanctioned project is slightly too vanilla for me, thats not what I play fictional games for. And from what I heard, he did also get quite a few bucks through the Buy me a coffee thing, and that was mostly for DMD production only. I wouldnt be against faster DMD cycle but well, at least its not abandoned.
I am one of those I supported Mrdots for DMD for 7-8 months now and never stopped my pledge, I also buy the coffee from dmdgame.com, there are many of those I think.

A game that is made with severe restrictions and limitations to creativity of the creator is always going to suffer from that, they have to send every copy of the game first to Patreon staff to review the game for release. That can not feel very nice when you try to create your own game, basically its a Patreon apporoved product like TV-shows for big networks... really a sad thing.

And about the cycle, as it is now, DMD with current corruption stats would take I guess 3-4 more years to complete, with a normal release cycle probably just around 1 years. :disappointed:

Reactions: Les_Riggs
Mar 29, 2018
I am one of those I supported Mrdots for DMD for 7-8 months now and never stopped my pledge, I also buy the coffee from dmdgame.com, there are many of those I think.

A game that is made with severe restrictions and limitations to creativity of the creator is always going to suffer from that, they have to send every copy of the game first to Patreon staff to review the game for release. That can not feel very nice when you try to create your own game, basically its a Patreon apporoved product like TV-shows for big networks... really a sad thing.

And about the cycle, as it is now, DMD with current corruption stats would take I guess 3-4 more years to complete, with a normal release cycle probably just around 1 years. :disappointed:
Can't developers just continue the game and upload it to another site or something... and in the meantime have the goal on the patreon higher in order to finish both games or just make a paypal site with a similar kind of process to donate. Or patreon have claimed their game so no matter what they have to finish it on their site? If that's not the case it doesnt make sense not to go with the one as I said above.

3.80 star(s) 325 Votes