slackster

Feb 1, 2017
Keeping your brand fresh is important so maybe Mr.Dots and his team will experiment with a different story angle while DMD is still active. Some deviation could help pull fans into the new game and take his team out of their comfort zone to challenge their skills.

Another constant feature (if 2 games constitute a pattern) of the Mr.Dots team seems to be a girl who ends up being involved in a "glamorous" profession
Would like to see a young female politician just starting out in that shark infested world. Lots of choices and temptation to stay true to your values or succumb to corruption

Last edited:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
A young politician is an interesting concept but unfortunately this theme could lead to politics and infecting the VN.
We are inundated by political rhetoric enough in the real world, VNs like DMD and places like F95 are one of the few havens from this unrelenting socio-political babble.
Ironically these threads seem to be one of the few places where people feel comfortable expressing their thoughts and sharing ideas with each other without fear of judgement.
AND now I got political.

Reactions: fbass

robertfierce

Donor
Nov 13, 2017
It's to prevent the game from being too large for people to easily download; if it was one large game, it'd be about 8GB, and a lot of people were getting annoyed at the size when the game was about 3GB. To fix the problem, Mr. Dots decided to split the game into smaller chapters. Is it a perfect solution? No, it is not. Is it a decent one? I'd say so. YMMV, of course.
It would have been the perfect solution if not for the fact that here on F95 you don't have access to each chapter in it's entirety. Take chapter 2 for example. It's missing the last part and can not be played fully because of it.

-Chapter 1 ends at 0145
Updates 17,18 ,19 ,20, 21 MISSING
-Chapter 2 ends at 0215
Updates 0220 and 0225 are MISSING
-Chapter 3 starts at 0230

This is what's pissing everyone off. Not the fact that he split the game in chapters. But the fact that there are whole chunks of the game missing. And there is no reason what so ever for doing that. File Size or otherwise. I have a MEGA subscription, I don't mind high file sizes. There's other games here on F95 as big as 16-20GB each.

Fine, you want to split the game and make the download size smaller? OK, but why cut chunks off from the game? Moreover, why not just post the individual update files? Why does everyone have to download all the game assets worth 3-4GB everytime instead of just a few hundred megas worth of, you know, actual updated files and new files? Everyone installs inc patches and knows how to unzip and copy into the base folder / game folder. If the size is such a problem and the main reason for mangling the game into tiny parts is size alone, then why not just provide individual links with archived / compressed files that can just be unzipped and copied over the base game files?

Very rarely does a game need a full redownload. Like when the game engine gets changed. Everything else in an update just replaces your already existing files with new versions of them that contain either updated data and/or new data. That means your only download for every new version would only be up to 1 GB. Nice and easy for everyone. UI changes only requires several files changed, not the whole game. Text changes only require 1 file updated. New animations can just be copied onto the already existing base game.

1. You don't need to download the whole game every time there's an update.
2. And you don't have to cut content off due to size limits because "see nr. 1"

Last edited:

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
It would have been the perfect solution if not for the fact that here on F95 you don't have access to each chapter in it's entirety. Take chapter 2 for example. It's missing the last part and can not be played fully because of it.

-Chapter 1 ends at 0145
-Chapter 2 ends at 0215

This is what's pissing everyone off. Not the fact that he split the game in chapters. But the fact that there are whole chunks of the game missing. And there is no reason what so ever for doing that. File Size or otherwise. I have a MEGA subscription, I don't mind high file sizes. There's other games here on F95 as big as 16-20GB each.

Fine, you want to split the game and make the download size smaller? OK, but why cut chunks off from the game? Moreover, why not just post the individual update files? Why does everyone have to download all the game assets worth 3-4GB everytime instead of just a few hundred megas worth of, you know, actual updated files and new files? Everyone installs inc patches and knows how to unzip and copy into the base folder / game folder. If the size is such a problem and the main reason for mangling the game into tiny parts is size alone, then why not just provide individual links with archived / compressed files that can just be unzipped and copied over the base game files?

Very rarely does a game need a full redownload. Like when the game engine gets changed. Everything else in an update just replaces your already existing files with new versions of them that contain either updated data and/or new data. That means your only download for every new version would only be up to 1 GB. Nice and easy for everyone. UI changes only requires several files changed, not the whole game. Text changes only require 1 file updated. New animations can just be copied onto the already existing base game.

What are you talking about?
Chapter 1 was 0.0.1-0.14
Chapter 2 was 0.14-0.21
Chapter 3 starts from 0.22
There is no missing parts of the game.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

-Chapter 1 ends at 0145
-Chapter 2 ends at 0215

Whole chunks of the game missing? No, they're not. Chapter 2 starts where chapter 1 ends. Chapter 3 starts where chapter 2 ends. I downloaded each chapter using the links in the OP, and I have the entire story (so far). Nothing missing.

Why does he release a new version with all previous stuff in that chapter included?
  1. It's easier to hit a button to make the latest release than it is to hit that button, then unpack that release and create a patch from the previous release. Creating the patch can be a PITA.
  2. There will always be people who, no matter how detailed and step-by-step you make the patching instructions, will fail at doing the patch correctly. If you disagree with me, I invite you to go to the Ecchi Sensei thread and see how many people have problems installing the Dark Mind patch. Or the Timestamps thread and see how many people unzip the patch, even though the instructions clearly say not to, and to just drop the zip in a specific place.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
This is what's pissing everyone off. Not the fact that he split the game in chapters. But the fact that there are whole chunks of the game missing.
I'm pretty much a technological functional illiterate and I've had no issues downloading any DMD update.
If you mean chunks missing in game play the Mr.Dots team did time jump a few times. And it is not uncommon for books in a trilogy to time jump from one volume to the next.

Heller

Dec 19, 2017
I only get a white screen when opening the game (ch2). What's the problem?

Someone with the same problem posted here before, but his solution didn't work for me, any other ideas?

Sleep202

Feb 20, 2019
I have to know. Is Lucas in all the chapters? Since I hate those types of characters, they really ruin an other good adult or non adult story. I just did the photo shoot and he saw us kissing, please tells me nothing comes of that and he is just deleted from the story pretty soon otherwise I can't play this anymore, since all my enjoyment just disappears the moment he appears. I hate this kind of cheap drama.

Magixian

Feb 2, 2017
I only get a white screen when opening the game (ch2). What's the problem?

Someone with the same problem posted here before, but his solution didn't work for me, any other ideas?
Hi. Does this happen with any other renpy game, or really just dmd ch.2 ? Test it.
Did it just start now and worked earlier (what did you do since last it worked) / Is it starting like this (not opened before on this computer) ?
What did you test from an earlier solution, that didn't work ?

*edit: If it continues, try to read the log.txt in the game folder after a failed launch to get a hint at what breaks.

Saraf

Mar 16, 2018
Okay Im a bit confused here.
Playing alongside the walkthrough for those sweet sweet points Im running a D+E run with activated relationship flag and still get scenes flagged as non-relationship(more specifically Early morning scene with Elena and Shower scene with Elena)?
Version bug?Walkthrough wrong?Screwed up savegame?
Anyone experiencing the same?

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
Okay Im a bit confused here.
Playing alongside the walkthrough for those sweet sweet points Im running a D+E run with activated relationship flag and still get scenes flagged as non-relationship(more specifically Early morning scene with Elena and Shower scene with Elena)?
Version bug?Walkthrough wrong?Screwed up savegame?
Anyone experiencing the same?
Wt wrong

Reactions: Saraf
3.80 star(s) 324 Votes