madchef

Jan 10, 2020
It exists. It is called Free Cities--an ironic game given that it is all about slavery.
Think of free cities as autonomous city states, representing new sociopolitical entities growing out of collapsing ancien regimes. Actually, numerous microstates in Europe (Holy Roman Empire, to be precise) used to have 'Free City' titles in their official names: Basel, Cologne, Strasbourg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, to name a few. They all but dissapeared after unification of Germany by Prussia and the last free city in history has been interbellum Gdańsk (Danzig).

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
Think of free cities as autonomous city states, representing new sociopolitical entities growing out of collapsing ancien regimes. Actually, numerous microstates in Europe (Holy Roman Empire, to be precise) used to have 'Free City' titles in their official names: Basel, Cologne, Strasbourg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, to name a few. They all but dissapeared after unification of Germany by Prussia and the last free city in history has been interbellum Gdańsk (Danzig).
No no no.
A "Freie Reichsstadt" was not autonomous. It was a direct subordinate of the emperor.
It was "free" from any obligations to neighboring counts, dukes or bishops. But this freedom was guaranteed by the emperor.
It was still bound by numerous laws, rules and customs.
If a "Freie Reichsstadt" ever had decided to enslave the neighboring peasants, it would have been obliterated before the emperor could have raised an eyebrow.

Jun 10, 2020
Not sure if this is a bug, but no matter what I change the settings to, they all go back to default. I changed all npcs to females, edited the named npc settings as well but it all reverts after I finish. Any tips?

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug, but no matter what I change the settings to, they all go back to default. I changed all npcs to females, edited the named npc settings as well but it all reverts after I finish. Any tips?
did you confirm the settings

madchef

Jan 10, 2020
No no no.
A "Freie Reichsstadt" was not autonomous. It was a direct subordinate of the emperor.
It was "free" from any obligations to neighboring counts, dukes or bishops. But this freedom was guaranteed by the emperor.
It was still bound by numerous laws, rules and customs.
If a "Freie Reichsstadt" ever had decided to enslave the neighboring peasants, it would have been obliterated before the emperor could have raised an eyebrow.
I never said that Imperial Free Cities were fully autonomous or dealt in slave trade, just mentioned that there were historical political entities which had 'free city' title in their names. As regards slavery, everybody knows that Italian city-states (mainly Venice, Genoa and Amalfi) were involved in early medieval slave trade, with a substantial portion of slaves being of Slavic origin (hence the term) and the Byzantine Empire and Arab Caliphates being the largest clients.

Reactions: Furabia

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
I never said that Imperial Free Cities were fully autonomous or dealt in slave trade, just mentioned that there were historical political entities which had 'free city' title in their names. As regards slavery, everybody knows that Italian city-states (mainly Venice, Genoa and Amalfi) were involved in early medieval slave trade, with a substantial portion of slaves being of Slavic origin (hence the term) and the Byzantine Empire and Arab Caliphates being the largest clients.
There is a very high possibility that the creator of Free Cities was more inspired by the writings of game of thrones, instead of actual historical ones:

Then again, GoT itself draws a lot of inspiration from real life (stated by GRRM himself) to create a more authentic setting based on that historical period, so yes it can be said that it was indirectly inspired by those city-states of old.

madchef

Jan 10, 2020
There is a very high possibility that the creator of Free Cities was more inspired by the writings of game of thrones, instead of actual historical ones:

Then again, GoT itself draws a lot of inspiration from real life (stated by GRRM himself) to create a more authentic setting based on that historical period, so yes it can be said that it was indirectly inspired by those city-states of old.
Yeah, the Song of Ice and Fire's Free Cities could also be an inspiration, although Martin's universe is a low-fantasy quasi-medieval-early modern world, while FC is set in a dystopian near future. Martin's Braavos is more or less Venetian La Serenissima (not to be confused with Serenissima Res Publica Poloniae).

Oct 6, 2019
Braavos is more or less Venetian La Serenissima
Fifteenth Century Italy would be the perfect setting for Free Cities. The city-states were ruled by tyrants or cabals. Slavery was everywhere along with endlessly creative ways to torture them. The lords were often famous for being perverted psychos. Everyone was trying to kill eachother. You would lose the sci-fi stuff, but, meh.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
It exists. It is called Free Cities--an ironic game given that it is all about slavery.
Not when you realize it's got a lot of ancap shit in it and those types of dipshits are the exact kind of people to think that's representative of "true freedom" so long as it falls under some vague definition of "voluntary".

Oct 6, 2019
Not when you realize it's got a lot of ancap shit in it and those types of dipshits are the exact kind of people to think that's representative of "true freedom" so long as it falls under some vague definition of "voluntary".
It is an irony that I suspect even the voluntarist developers are aware of. I mean, they are aware that the narrative that they are crafting is of a nightmarish dystopia that makes no real sense, just like Vrelnir is aware that he is doing the same with Degrees of Lewdity, althought Vrelnir at least gave Degrees of Lewdity an underlying--if hidden--logic, fantastical as it is.

I really want to find out more about East Rapechestershire. The story of the Ivory Wraith is a tantalizing glimpse at a history and internal logic that we have not yet been given.

Karkhel

May 15, 2017
Is new update coming any time soon? Seems like around the time we would get one. Can't access their discord without phone tied to my account.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
Is new update coming any time soon? Seems like around the time we would get one. Can't access their discord without phone tied to my account.
there's never set deadlines, if an update is taking long, it's probably gonna be a big one or something happened in the meantime

Karkhel

May 15, 2017
there's never set deadlines, if an update is taking long, it's probably gonna be a big one or something happened in the meantime
I didn't mean for this to came across as 'where the hell is the damn update' my bad if it did, just if anyone read any rumors/estimates on official discord. Either way thanks for responding.

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
I didn't mean for this to came across as 'where the hell is the damn update' my bad if it did, just if anyone read any rumors/estimates on official discord. Either way thanks for responding.
There are no secrets on Discord. At least not for commoners.
You can look at the release dates on the blog and make your own guess.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
There's something I've noticed recently and I'm wondering is it a bug for Kylar to not be getting any Jealousy from eating lunch with someone else when they're Jealousy stat is at zero, as it seems to never increase regardless if I do it with Robin or Sydney. Or does the value increase by such a small amount from that that it doesn't ever actually increase to 1% unless you completely ignore Kylar for a while?

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
There's something I've noticed recently and I'm wondering is it a bug for Kylar to not be getting any Jealousy from eating lunch with someone else when they're Jealousy stat is at zero, as it seems to never increase regardless if I do it with Robin or Sydney. Or does the value increase by such a small amount from that that it doesn't ever actually increase to 1% unless you completely ignore Kylar for a while?
Dunno if intended or not, but the canteen-scenes do nor raise jealousy.
You can only lower it by eating with Kylar.
1% is already the smallest amount.

4.50 star(s) 185 Votes