D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N

Game Developer
Sep 28, 2020
Release 06 is out now, here is a trailer:

I think I will put Release 05 out for free this Christmas, so there is something to look forward :D
Issue for me is uploading game builds, even for legit supporters it was quite a hassle (mega literally works for half people well and half people cant download it, etc...)

Last time I did free release, I even made secondary gdrive link but both got their quota reached insanely fast

Craltiplayer69420

Oct 13, 2020

I think I will put Release 05 out for free this Christmas, so there is something to look forward :D
Issue for me is uploading game builds, even for legit supporters it was quite a hassle (mega literally works for half people well and half people cant download it, etc...)

Last time I did free release, I even made secondary gdrive link but both got their quota reached insanely fast
Damn really making us wait huh :D

• Haha
Reactions: StevieJobs

Jackapp

May 31, 2017

Any chance for a different website for that trailer? Sadly twitter is aweful for video quality

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
So if version 5 is coming out, then what is in it vs what was shown in the version 6 trailer?

Feb 27, 2018

Why not just post a magnet link and do it like that? (for the public builds that is)

edit: I just read someone saying you've got some sort of DRM, if you think it has a snowball's chance in hell of working, why not just put up a magnet so the people who give you money can access the game more easily? If you don't think DRM will work, why don't you just get rid of it and not penalize your patreons for no reason? There are other devs on this site that release patron builds and don't get them shared by simply being chill enough that people feel bad about doing it, Harem Hotel comes to mind. Your forte seems to be smut and game development, if your drm is good enough to be hard to break you're going to attract someone who takes it as a challenge (it probably isn't, good drm is basically malware, and if somebody decompiles your game to crack the drm and finds out you're doing something sketchy, you'll probably end up losing all your patrons), and if your drm isn't good it's more of a vulnerability for the people who pay you money than it is for any potential pirate. I don't know anything about your DRM except that it sounds like it involves a Patreon login, and sounds like a recipe for disaster. You really don't want to be the motherfucker who got all his patrons hacked, even indirectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmoredRacoon
Feb 27, 2018
Or you just wait till the Dev makes the Release 05 free this Christmas. See it as a kinky christmas present.
why are you suggesting "wait for an older version to be posted without the part people are concerned about" as an option for fulfilling the request of "Mind sharing it anyway? I've got a hunch."? If the dev doesn't want people who aren't his patrons to play his game, he can either try to create a situation where people cannot get a copy of his game without being a patron, or he can treat the person running his software as his adversary and try to control what other people do with their own computers. The first option is fine, and works pretty well for a lot of games. Weirdly though he seems to be trying to do both even though he seems to already be succeeding with just the first option, so using the second option as a backup seems stupid given all the ways it can go wrong.

Another thing that does kinda baffle me: I went back through some of the devs previous posts in this thread, and he calls his public releases "pirate releases" even though he's releasing them publicly himself, I suspect he is having trouble getting used to being the client of his patrons instead of selling a product with them being his clients. His patrons are paying him to continue making work because they want that work to exist, he's not selling them the product of the game. Of course his patrons get special privilege in terms of first access to that work, but he's not selling the game, so why does he think in terms of piracy at all?

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomsphere

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
Because people on Patreon feel entitled to get paid for posting barely functional, barely feature-complete, pre-alpha builds of their games. I get that people need money to make their projects succeed, but the way most use Patreon to get that money means DRM or censorship. Usually a bit of both.

Feb 27, 2018
Because people on Patreon feel entitled to get paid for posting barely functional, barely feature-complete, pre-alpha builds of their games. I get that people need money to make their projects succeed, but the way most use Patreon to get that money means DRM or censorship. Usually a bit of both.
I haven't really paid attention to many patreon financed projects, but the ones I have seen don't seem to follow that pattern, or at least not the ones that stick around for more than a few updates. Amateur game development is hard, and if you're trying to have a (remotely) stable(ish) build available at any given time during development you're going to have to sacrifice a lot in flexibility and speed. Patronage isn't about selling a completed project, you're paying them because you want them to work on things that appeal to you instead of spending that time on something else. It's an arrangement that has worked pretty well historically. Crowd sourcing and democratizing patronage does mean that people who aren't familiar with how it works will make mistakes with it, especially in these early days.

I haven't seen much of this project, and I haven't downloaded the demo myself, but if the screenshots and trailers are anything to go off of, my impression is that this project doesn't need DRM, and his choice to use it is probably just that he has a mistaken impression about the costs vs benefits. I'd say that if he actually wants to make money off it he'd probably have better chances just making it as widely available as possible so more people play it and decide to support the development, possibly incentivized by things that inherently can't be "pirated" like a patrons only chatroom or the option to vote in polls about what new thing will be worked on next.

some interesting interviews with the gog/cdprojectred folks about drm

spitfirexv

Mar 18, 2019

Hi man, can I buy latest release of the game somehow, but not on the patreon? May be personal or on any other platform like fanbox?

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
Well I have followed a lot of patreon funded projects, and the typical thing they do is to either have a launch manager that requires a specific key and login information (that is DRM) or releases censored builds for free or releases a build that is technically censored, but a specific password or cheat disables it. This project uses the last option. But as there isn't any real gameplay or combat, the only reason people download this project is currently for the sexy stuff, and you can only access that if you have the password.

A rare set of patreon funded projects uses a different format: they release a new build for their patreons and then two-four weeks later releases the build for everyone. This developer had "claimed" they were going to do that, but then changed their mind. They had released one build in August (ver 3?) and then were planning on doing the same with Ver 4, but then didn't. And then didn't again for ver5, and is now with ver6 out, they claim they'll release ver5, but I'll believe it when i see it.

If you haven't seen much of this project or even downloaded the demo, why are we having this discussion? Most patreon funded projects don't need DRM, but they do it because they want to be exclusive to their patreons. And the only way to do that is DRM and other anti-consumer policies. What do I mean by that? For example, some people will upload the game to Steam, but then rarely update it. A great example of that is Breeders of Nephylem (or w/e) that is 6-8 months behind the Patreon version. Why pay money on Steam to get access to an ancient build.

If he wanted to make money, he'd place it on Itch.io, GoG, and Steam, in their early access style programs. But he doesn't want money, he wants to be exclusive to Patreon funders, so that isn't going to happen.

Feb 27, 2018
Well I have followed a lot of patreon funded projects, and the typical thing they do is to either have a launch manager that requires a specific key and login information (that is DRM) or releases censored builds for free or releases a build that is technically censored, but a specific password or cheat disables it. This project uses the last option. But as there isn't any real gameplay or combat, the only reason people download this project is currently for the sexy stuff, and you can only access that if you have the password.

A rare set of patreon funded projects uses a different format: they release a new build for their patreons and then two-four weeks later releases the build for everyone. This developer had "claimed" they were going to do that, but then changed their mind. They had released one build in August (ver 3?) and then were planning on doing the same with Ver 4, but then didn't. And then didn't again for ver5, and is now with ver6 out, they claim they'll release ver5, but I'll believe it when i see it.

If you haven't seen much of this project or even downloaded the demo, why are we having this discussion? Most patreon funded projects don't need DRM, but they do it because they want to be exclusive to their patreons. And the only way to do that is DRM and other anti-consumer policies. What do I mean by that? For example, some people will upload the game to Steam, but then rarely update it. A great example of that is Breeders of Nephylem (or w/e) that is 6-8 months behind the Patreon version. Why pay money on Steam to get access to an ancient build.

If he wanted to make money, he'd place it on Itch.io, GoG, and Steam, in their early access style programs. But he doesn't want money, he wants to be exclusive to Patreon funders, so that isn't going to happen.
it's passworded? why don't people just hit it with john the ripper? I haven't downloaded it yet because I figured I'd wait until at least the second release since the first demo sounded like it didn't have much content.

3.80 star(s) 53 Votes