D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N

Game Developer
Sep 28, 2020
1. Offering other non-intensive forms of AA can help. TXAA is one of the newest types of AA, so, it doesn't work as great on older hardware. Same idea with other forms of post-processing. You could have it set in compatibility settings, to change various intensive post processing methods to lower-cost ones, for low-end machines (my machine is technically low end at this point, even though in 2015, it was top of the line).

2. Okay.

3. Okay.

4. Okay.

5. Well, then:
-> Many games have gotten away with lower quality shadow maps, of 1k size. Original skyrim did that for most of its shadow maps, and people rarely noticed bad shadowing; except closeups on characters. For things that need more detail, 2k is usually sufficient, and 4k+ is overkill.
-> Try to avoid upscaling resolutions. Any game that has used upscaling to reach a higher resolution, usually has to render the same screen 4 times and then combine the image together. Like many initial games that said their game was 4k supported, was 960p x4 screens, merged together to get the 4k effect, which has a much higher performance cost than just having the 4k screen rendered from the beginning.
-> With fog resolution, can you have two volumes/layers of fog? So the leading edge of the fog could be a higher resolution, but the rest of the fog is lower resolution? OR... have a volume centered around the player and the base volume of fog, and only the volume around the player is higher resolution. If that makes any sense.
-> Can any of those objects that cast shadows be set to static shadows over dynamic shadows? UE4 as you probably know is super efficient with baked shadows, but it has issues with dynamic shadows and thus suggests limiting them as much as possible. Additionally, can any of those objects be set to not cast soft shadows, as soft shadows is quite expensive.
-> Additionally, Skyrim's settings file had quite a few settings for manually modifying shadows, and maybe some of that information might be useful to you, for fine-tuning your shadows costs.
-> Can you reduce the number of objects that cast shadows? ie instead of having 5 trees next to eachother casting individual shadows, replace with a very large tree casting 1 shadow. Or having grass placed intelligently under a tree's shadow so that the grass doesn't have to cast a shadow.
-> For the GPU things, can any of it be sent to regular RAM instead? Most users have more RAM than VRAM and their RAM is often better cooled than their GPU VRAM. Also does your method of virtual textures abuse the VRAM or uses RAM? I believe if memory serves, that ID TECH shoved the data into RAM, and then extracted specific things from there into VRAM on a need-to-use basis, and then unloaded it once it was no longer needed.

6. I can't comment on other users, but I often will manually degrade water quality, to get better quality elsewhere. If the water is murky, I try to make it clear and visible; I like to see where I am going. So you might be able to reduce water quality without users noticing. I certainly don't notice lower water quality, unless its a game where I'm underwater a lot... lot Subnautica.

Hope some of that helps.

1. not using taa is quite short sighted, temporal upscaling gives much better visuals to performance ratio
- I obviously downscale shadow res depending on settings, but simply said you cant have nice shadows for free
- with upscaling I think you are missing the point. Upscaling is to gain a tons of performance, its like upscaling from 1080p to 1440p so good sharp visuals for good loweres performance
- object cant have static shadows with dynamic lighting, and baking stuff is out of the question
- I tweak like 5 variables to get best looking game for best performance, since people are clueless and would set it wrong and complain about it later. Its a bit restricting but better this way in general
- I cant set each tree to cast or not cast shadow individually because its instance based (each tree has same settings) and it would be too labour intensive
- sending data into regular ram is the problem I'm having, it instantly reduces fps almost by half
also I'm not a rendering engineer, changing those things take few experts in industry years to do, I'm left with what guys at epic make
6. I obviously try as much as possible to avoid water rendering so every water surface futher than few meters is blended into opaque material that is quite fast to render, I just didn't mention these things here as it would be too much text

as said all my answers are overly simplified and these things go into way way deeper detail and its often not intuitive at first glance

Hornyy69

Dec 27, 2020
are there huggers planned in future updates? huggers that stick to her waist and continuously breed her till we get a cure or technique to remove huggers that would be awesome af.

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
1. not using taa is quite short sighted, temporal upscaling gives much better visuals to performance ratio
- I obviously downscale shadow res depending on settings, but simply said you cant have nice shadows for free
- with upscaling I think you are missing the point. Upscaling is to gain a tons of performance, its like upscaling from 1080p to 1440p so good sharp visuals for good loweres performance
- object cant have static shadows with dynamic lighting, and baking stuff is out of the question
- I tweak like 5 variables to get best looking game for best performance, since people are clueless and would set it wrong and complain about it later. Its a bit restricting but better this way in general
- I cant set each tree to cast or not cast shadow individually because its instance based (each tree has same settings) and it would be too labour intensive
- sending data into regular ram is the problem I'm having, it instantly reduces fps almost by half
also I'm not a rendering engineer, changing those things take few experts in industry years to do, I'm left with what guys at epic make
6. I obviously try as much as possible to avoid water rendering so every water surface futher than few meters is blended into opaque material that is quite fast to render, I just didn't mention these things here as it would be too much text

as said all my answers are overly simplified and these things go into way way deeper detail and its often not intuitive at first glance
Not offering other forms of AA is short-sighted. Not everyone has the power to run TAA and most games offer more than one form of AA. I don't know what kind of RAM usage TAA uses, but if a simpler AA consumes only 100 mb of RAM and TAA offers better visuals but consumes 400 mb of RAM, users might prefer a loss in visual acuity to the increased RAM requirements.

As you are a fairly competent programmer, you probably know that everything has a cost, usually in the form of GPU / CPU Cycles. Do too many fancy effects and you'll bottleneck the Cycles and have massive framerate loss. Also, the number of pixels rendered at 1080 vs 1440 is quite different, and as a result consumes more VRAM to do it. Especially if it is a wide screen monitor. Especially if the game was designed with 1080p in mind and now has to do approximate pixels which adds further cost. It is always more performant to build the elements and save them on the hard-drive, than to calculate them at runtime. Its like doing a pre-made animation of a cum effect vs calculating out the geometry at runtime. The pre-made stuff is always going to run more efficiently, but it doesn't have the dynamic nature of calculating at runtime, so there is always tradeoffs. Sometimes its better to have less visual fidelity and more performance, and other times its better to push performance as much as possible and try to achieve that visual fidelity.

UE4 was designed specifically in mind with baked shadows, with extremely sparingly usage of dynamic shadows and lighting effects. UE5 appears to be better for dynamic shadows, so you might have to upgrade to UE5, if your game relies too heavily on dynamic effects.

Personally I like having the options, because I'd rather have an okay-ish looking game at a solid 60 fps than a super pretty game at 20 fps. Now I might choose the wrong options and make it uglier than necessary, but, in video games I prefer framerate and gameplay stability over visuals and will always degrade the visuals if my performance is terrible. And working with a 2015 built computer, I often have to make visual sacrifices to reach 60 fps. It is a still a decently powerful rig, but it can't do modern stuff like raytracing and has trouble with games that require HDR over Bloom.

Data sent into RAM works best when it stays there for a while. If you are sending extremely transient data to it, you are sending the wrong data to it. VRAM works best with transient data. The issue is primarily heat-management and clock speed of the RAM itself. VRAM clock speed is much higher and works better at higher temperatures, while RAM is typically 500mhz or slower than VRAM, and is much more sensitive to heat, but as it isn't being accessed and deleted from constantly, its usually not a problem. Every time you send data to the RAM, it requires electricity and that generates heat. More times you do it, the more heat generated. At a raw physics level, regular RAM just cannot cope with the stresses typically placed on VRAM, so if you are sending the type of data that VRAM typically processes to RAM, you are definitely going to have a framerate loss. So, if you can think of ways of keeping certain transient data more fixed, then you could do what you are trying to do.

Think of it like this:
1. VRAM is short-term memory in a human. Usually lasts for 1 hour or less.
2. RAM is medium-term memory in a human. Usually lasts for 3 months (the typical life cycle of any cell in 3 months)
3. HDD/SSD is long-term memory in a human. Usually lasts until the cells die and fail to transfer the data over to a new cell.

SylvanaHellsing

Mar 22, 2019
When your game is finished, what platform are you going to post it on so we can buy it?
I would love to help you financially, but for the moment, I dare not too much..

D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N

Game Developer
Sep 28, 2020
Not offering other forms of AA is short-sighted. Not everyone has the power to run TAA and most games offer more than one form of AA. I don't know what kind of RAM usage TAA uses, but if a simpler AA consumes only 100 mb of RAM and TAA offers better visuals but consumes 400 mb of RAM, users might prefer a loss in visual acuity to the increased RAM requirements.

As you are a fairly competent programmer, you probably know that everything has a cost, usually in the form of GPU / CPU Cycles. Do too many fancy effects and you'll bottleneck the Cycles and have massive framerate loss. Also, the number of pixels rendered at 1080 vs 1440 is quite different, and as a result consumes more VRAM to do it. Especially if it is a wide screen monitor. Especially if the game was designed with 1080p in mind and now has to do approximate pixels which adds further cost. It is always more performant to build the elements and save them on the hard-drive, than to calculate them at runtime. Its like doing a pre-made animation of a cum effect vs calculating out the geometry at runtime. The pre-made stuff is always going to run more efficiently, but it doesn't have the dynamic nature of calculating at runtime, so there is always tradeoffs. Sometimes its better to have less visual fidelity and more performance, and other times its better to push performance as much as possible and try to achieve that visual fidelity.

UE4 was designed specifically in mind with baked shadows, with extremely sparingly usage of dynamic shadows and lighting effects. UE5 appears to be better for dynamic shadows, so you might have to upgrade to UE5, if your game relies too heavily on dynamic effects.

Personally I like having the options, because I'd rather have an okay-ish looking game at a solid 60 fps than a super pretty game at 20 fps. Now I might choose the wrong options and make it uglier than necessary, but, in video games I prefer framerate and gameplay stability over visuals and will always degrade the visuals if my performance is terrible. And working with a 2015 built computer, I often have to make visual sacrifices to reach 60 fps. It is a still a decently powerful rig, but it can't do modern stuff like raytracing and has trouble with games that require HDR over Bloom.

Data sent into RAM works best when it stays there for a while. If you are sending extremely transient data to it, you are sending the wrong data to it. VRAM works best with transient data. The issue is primarily heat-management and clock speed of the RAM itself. VRAM clock speed is much higher and works better at higher temperatures, while RAM is typically 500mhz or slower than VRAM, and is much more sensitive to heat, but as it isn't being accessed and deleted from constantly, its usually not a problem. Every time you send data to the RAM, it requires electricity and that generates heat. More times you do it, the more heat generated. At a raw physics level, regular RAM just cannot cope with the stresses typically placed on VRAM, so if you are sending the type of data that VRAM typically processes to RAM, you are definitely going to have a framerate loss. So, if you can think of ways of keeping certain transient data more fixed, then you could do what you are trying to do.

Think of it like this:
1. VRAM is short-term memory in a human. Usually lasts for 1 hour or less.
2. RAM is medium-term memory in a human. Usually lasts for 3 months (the typical life cycle of any cell in 3 months)
3. HDD/SSD is long-term memory in a human. Usually lasts until the cells die and fail to transfer the data over to a new cell.
I don't want to spam this thread with tech talk
but need to assure you that you need to go deeper into technical details, for example, you didn't even mention multiple temporal algorithms that can be used, their cost etc... also how many things rely on temporal aa, like ss shadows...
Basically I tried and tested all combinations and simply picked ones that worked the best. disabling taa would be a really horrible alternative which would make game look so much worse with worse performance
in relation to static and dynamic lighting, there are lots of nuisances, where if you have static lighting with many dynamic objects and stationary shadows, it will destroy performance but dynamic shadows run ok. UE4 was built to have fully dynamic lighting tho.
I assume you have never tried to compare same game in ue4 vs ue5, but to bring news, performance is exactly the same. If you add lumen, it gets worse for better visuals, but it's still not relevant since ue5 is quite useless for many things they messed up so I will stay in ue4 (ue5 will be kinda useful maybe in 2-3 years) you can notice all their ue5 demos are specially made to hide all its flaws

talk about vram and ram is pretty much useless since I can't do absolutely anything about how engine handles data, I can only try to make sure everything fits into vram, and if not performance suffers

Last edited:
Reactions: NRcod and mamaboiii

Hellrider666

Aug 8, 2017
Hello there, just discovered the thread, but unfortunately, every links on OP are either dead or downloads a .iso instead of the .zip of the build...
Could someone please fix the links if possible ?
Thanks in advance !

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N :
I wasn't referring to offering other forms of temporal AA. I was referring to offering things like the ones mentioned in this webpage, like FXAA or MSAA. Link =

Yes many things rely on Temporal AA, but then you disable them when not using Temporal AA, and offer a lower-cost option, with degraded overall visuals for sure, but greater overall performance.

On the topic of AA: Does the game offer motion blur and can it be disabled? Its often something that eats up a lot of performance and provides marginal visual benefits (though it helps with atmosphere and immersion building).

=====

Many people, including myself, will prefer to degrade certain aspects of visual quality, in favor of keeping other things looking good. Yes, it causes things like character models to stick out like sore thumbs in a trashy environment, but if that means you get a solid 60 fps, that is often more desirable to players. Its also why on consoles, the visuals are worse than the PC version so that they maintain a good framerate. And a good framerate is critical to a First Person Shooter.

=====

UE4 was built to handle dynamic lighting, but it doesn't work so great when everything uses dynamic lighting and shadows.

Actually UE5 does perform better, IF, it is using DX12. If you are running an older rig that can't handle DX12 or isn't Windows 10/11, then yes the performance will be the same, as both UE4 and UE5 can run many of their games on DX11 just fine.

=====

Question: Some older games would provide a numerical figure of how much RAM / VRAM and the approximate FPS you'll get if you leave settings alone. It might be interesting to see what various settings cost, by having it calculate for you. Then, users could fine-tune their visuals to try to get as close to stable 60 fps, while not degrading visuals too much.

D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N

Game Developer
Sep 28, 2020
Just update whats in works atm, building vertical city street to give game finally some cyberpunk looks even if on small area, then started on new tentacle anim set so one anim doesn't always repeat, and hopefully I get to make new consensual animset with humans for new release, free release 09 will eventually come here too, lots of cool stuff to look forward to
here is a test of lightweight crowds done with shaders and some shops with fog, once I fully populate city with models and lights, it will look super nice
1663202809603.png

Last edited:

pepertje

Aug 1, 2018
I might be a brainlet, but copy/pasting the password on the front page into the User ID field does nothing, just tells me to get a User ID. How do I get the free uncensored version?

AnonymousAutist

Aug 20, 2022
I might be a brainlet, but copy/pasting the password on the front page into the User ID field does nothing, just tells me to get a User ID. How do I get the free uncensored version?
Delete everything in that field before pasting and make sure that you didn't copy any spaces. Works fine for me, but I still manage to fuck it up somehow from time to time. Also, make sure that nothing is written in that field.

StevieJobs

Oct 6, 2018
related to new nsfw content, to be transparent, I hadn't had that much luck finding new animator who is capable reaching quality, animators are really hard to come by, most of them have work ethics below zero or are already hired in aaa studios or just don't want to animate nsfw stuff.

anyway if anybody knows about someone suiting this project I would gladly get someone onboard

this month I will try again to get someone reliable to help out on it so each release has at least two new h-animation types (4 loops per type)

otherwise the project is going pretty well, step by step I'm turning all those ideas and plans into reality
Contact adeptus steve, I'm positive he knows someone since his animation standards are quite high.

Jul 31, 2018
freedemo dont work. Has the dev removed it?

EDIT: im an idiot didnt see the pass changed.

Anyway. Is there a way to enter the city yet? If my cloth break completely where can i find a spare change?

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 53 Votes