Aug 8, 2017
Another thing to keep in mind is that DRM can vary from a fixed cost to an ongoing drain. I haven't seen any signs of the DRM changing for a while, so I expect that it hasn't been a significant drain on recent development. As a contrast, you can look at the Lovecraft thread for an example of the dev playing cat-and-mouse to the point of completely rearchitecting the game towards a server-based multiplayer model. Even that didn't keep the hackers away, but it did contribute to spending a lot of resources on stuff that didn't contribute to making the game a better experience.

Reactions: Rexaureus

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Another thing to keep in mind is that DRM can vary from a fixed cost to an ongoing drain. I haven't seen any signs of the DRM changing for a while, so I expect that it hasn't been a significant drain on recent development. As a contrast, you can look at the Lovecraft thread for an example of the dev playing cat-and-mouse to the point of completely rearchitecting the game towards a server-based multiplayer model. Even that didn't keep the hackers away, but it did contribute to spending a lot of resources on stuff that didn't contribute to making the game a better experience.
well yea, surely didn't equate to making the game better, but it sure did equate to them having full pockets, which didn't really come from their form of DRM imo, but rather from it being an excuse for the patrons which kept paying and paying thinking "well developing a server DOES take time...I'll keep subscribed to them" while all they were doing was writing shite netcode that cut the game performance into a fifth lol.
whatever though, agree with you two as well
Imo ist's always a balance (for the dev regarding the 'how much DRM' question). If you concentrate too hard on DRM you're wasting work hours and getting more inconvenient for paying customers. But some devs (legitimately) do want to keep the risk at bay that the latest release gets leaked if their business model uses patreon/ss and therefore some protection is added. But if your game is actually good (like in this case, imo) then it'll attract attention from people capable of cracking it. But if you release older versions (not too old though, half a year for this game are pushing it) then you reduce the risk these people seeing the need.

I think the DRM vs. free-for-all debate on principles will lead nowhere. Yes, nobody likes DRM; yes, DRM is still used almost everywhere; but DRM does not equal DRM. It's the balance of how much do you give for free and how much time do you want to spend on DRM. And the 'right' ratio is purely subjective.

Imo, the dev doesn't spend 'too much time perfecting the DRM' (and it can be broken), but he could be reducing the gap between free and latest release as half a year is quite a lot.

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
...and at the same time he sacrifices the quality of the product by spending time implementing DRM and possibly by taking up resources from the other game functions to run said DRM depending on how he implemented it...

I don't really care, DRM is shit, and a lot of the time it WILL be cracked, because some indie dev won't make a better DRM than the mainstream DRM's like the infamous Denuvo, which have all been cracked or worked around for a while at this point.

The way I see it, the best way to make people buy your stuff is to either make something that downright abuses people that are unable to think for themselves (like the LOK, Pure Onyx or Operation Lovecraft teams) or invest everything in quality (like the Wild Life team, Runey, Octopussy, Konashion and so on), and only one of these has at least a scrap of morality in it.
Wait. Did Konashion finally reappear, and start doing another project?

D-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N

Game Developer
Sep 28, 2020
yes, it was absolutely fixed cost, now just here and there tiny changes, literally just responding here takes 50x more time atm so its nothing as well as zero performance cost

Reactions: Jorin Direfrost

DustyX

Jun 16, 2017
Only just discovered this game (demo) yesterday and while I'm admittedly easy to impress I still feel I gotta say: "Wow"

Visually purty environments, animations, textures (particularly bodies) and pretty smooth gameplay imho.

Certainly looking forward to the full release.

I will say one additional thing though, "Eh gadz, my kingdom for a crouch feature" @_@;

RisenKill

Feb 20, 2021
Only just discovered this game (demo) yesterday and while I'm admittedly easy to impress I still feel I gotta say: "Wow"

Visually purty environments, animations, textures (particularly bodies) and pretty smooth gameplay imho.

Certainly looking forward to the full release.

I will say one additional thing though, "Eh gadz, my kingdom for a crouch feature" @_@;
Well, you better get ready to hand over that Kingdom, the option to Crouch is coming in the next free release (release 9) along other snazzy things like a new H-animation, new clothes, weapons resting on surfaces and a Safezone.

Reactions: DustyX

Knuckel

Jan 30, 2018
...and at the same time he sacrifices the quality of the product by spending time implementing DRM and possibly by taking up resources from the other game functions to run said DRM depending on how he implemented it...

I don't really care, DRM is shit, and a lot of the time it WILL be cracked, because some indie dev won't make a better DRM than the mainstream DRM's like the infamous Denuvo, which have all been cracked or worked around for a while at this point.

The way I see it, the best way to make people buy your stuff is to either make something that downright abuses people that are unable to think for themselves (like the LOK, Pure Onyx or Operation Lovecraft teams) or invest everything in quality (like the Wild Life team, Runey, Octopussy, Konashion and so on), and only one of these has at least a scrap of morality in it.
I think HentaiWriter has one of the beast stances on piracy I've seen. Piracy will always be a thing, with almost no way to avoid it. So why not take advantage of it being a great way method for free advertisement, and try your best to make the pirates WANT to spend money to support your game. While I know some devs, such as Selebus from Lessons in Love (Amazing game BTW) despise piracy and see it as nothing more than highway robbery, you can not deny how much traffic F95 gets daily and how many people discover games through sites like this.

Edit: Link to HentaiWriters take on piracy
https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-27ex-march-2022-demo-hentaiwriter.1550/post-717788

RisenKill

Feb 20, 2021
it's a pity that there are no adult content changes in the 11th
the game turns into a regular nude shooter. The highlight disappears
Hmm :unsure: its almost like the Dev is working on creating the world and actual Gameplay first, before adding the stuff that is not as important to the main Gameplay loop of a raid shooter. Also do not forget that this project is being developed by one guy and he does not really enjoy animating stuff (I can relate to that, its a fucking pain in the ass).
There is also the thing that he is trying to make a Version of the game that is more SFW, so he can try to get more passive advertisement from streamers playing the game in the hope to get more funding and, maybe, get some other artists interested in helping with the game.

Now, the "Highlight" is not disappearing, because even on the new map, if you get caught, you will still get fucked. Its just that one man can only do so much, so certain parts will have to wait. Still, H-animations are still being worked on, it will just take some time till the Dev does them himself or finds an animator that has the skills and is not too expensive.

Also, on a personal note, Id rather have a game with Gameplay and a World that is well build and a few Animations that fit into the world, rather than having Hundreds of animations in a World and Gameplay that was created after the Animations and now has to try to fit all of it in.
Again, this is supposed to be a game, not a loose collection of animations.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
I think HentaiWriter has one of the beast stances on piracy I've seen. Piracy will always be a thing, with almost no way to avoid it. So why not take advantage of it being a great way method for free advertisement, and try your best to make the pirates WANT to spend money to support your game. While I know some devs, such as Selebus from Lessons in Love (Amazing game BTW) despise piracy and see it as nothing more than highway robbery, you can not deny how much traffic F95 gets daily and how many people discover games through sites like this.

Edit: Link to HentaiWriters take on piracy
https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-27ex-march-2022-demo-hentaiwriter.1550/post-717788
yea the dude actually seems to think unlike a lot of devs and is able to break down and respond to pretty much anything you throw at him, like a developer SHOULD be able to. I like the guy and agree with all that.

I'm in no financial position to be buying games myself and if piracy weren't a think, I just wouldn't have played anything...because I need to eat, and some DRM wouldn't have made me give up eating and paying bills lol...

Thinking that DRM solves anything, in my opinion, is just a sign of an uneducated person that has no actual idea who their 'enemy' (pirates) are at all

AnonymousAutist

Aug 20, 2022
War on piracy is like the war on drugs. Yeah, maybe you will fend off some people, but the others will find new ways to fuck the whole system over. It is unwinnable. At least the DRM does not require a lot of resourses most of the time.

3.80 star(s) 53 Votes