VN Ren'Py Abandoned Delusion [v0.4] [Shirahoshi Studio]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

soulninja

Dec 12, 2018
Thanks, that means a lot. If I want to do something I'd rather do it right, or at least try to.
I'm not that confident in my abilities as this is my first renpy game, but I want to try and do something good.

It's not so much as contorting the story, more like a combination of: Having to add a "if-else" to each event, doing double the work for sex scenes, straight male writing a lesbian (or bi) female.
Still, I want to try to please as many people as I can as long as I don't compromise the story or the lore(or my sanity).

So if adding a female MC means more people will enjoy the game, then I'll try my best at adding one.

#ventigang
Truth be told, in my opinion, having a female MC should be the least of all prioritys. Having more people to bang is way better than having a re-skin.

Also, canon in-game, the protagonist is Aether and Lumine has been awaken way before him (and the MC, since he's going around at the same age period of the characters in-game). Saying that this MC (if he's not Aether) came way before him, like Lumine does in the story, would mean that most of the events in game would either take too long to happen or have characters with other problems (and age).
So Mona would not be in Mondstadt, probably being in Fontaine with her tutor. Missing the most ero girl in the game would be the worse possible path.

That's why, from my POV, the MC should either be Aether or replace him in wtv Isekai bullshit shenanigan, following the events in the same timeline.

Just my humble opinion, as usual.
(Sorry if my english sucks)

Shine_

Sep 1, 2018
The new early release is ready on my .

I severely underestimated the workload of making a game, and that combined with the fact that I'm still learning and some other outside factors. I didn't manage to have the new release ready for last week.

I added two new scenes and two other missions that will lead to scenes later on. Also finished the questlog system and added a textbox that appears when you hover a location on the map.

I'll keep working on it and I believe the full release will come in a day or two, so please wait until then.

weirddude94

Jan 12, 2018
Just my two cents as I see a lot of people telling the dev what to do, they're going to make the game that they're going to make or they're eventually going to get burned out by it. As they've already voiced here, game development is hard work, even if it doesn't look like it because there are a bunch on this website. Developers here are fueled more by passion than by trying to appeal to the most people.

That said, to contribute to the discussion on "missable scenes", I agree that there's nothing wrong with having them. My only caution would be that the writing leading up to them needs to be relatively unambiguous, some logic helping you determine how to reach it. The only reason I bring this up is, while the example in the current content isn't "difficult" with it only being two choices, I'm unclear as to why those particular choices result in the sex scene as opposed to the others. Why is trying not to worry her or complimenting her name a "wrong" choice? The parts of the conversation immediately after both choices are pretty similar and seem like just slightly different choices with slightly different reactions before the conversation goes back to the normal route (which is fine on its own). The issue is, without knowing there was a scene from the screenshots and conversation in this thread, I would not know the content existed to have been missed. I spent more time after completing the initial conversation attempting to search the town for a second encounter with Barbara, found nothing, returned to this thread and found it was a result of the two choices I had made.

There are plenty of ways to make this clearer going forward (if you want to), but it of course comes down to what your goal is for players of this game. If your goal is "have an interesting story set in Teyvat where you can find sex scenes if you dig around", you're set, no change needed. If your goal is a "play as continental journey across the seven nations as a serial romantic", some slight adjustments might be needed to avoid players complaining in the future as scenes get bigger and the character stats come into play.

Of course, if you already have plans for all of this, feel free to ignore me, you're the one doing the work and realizing your vision (though I'll happily supply some ideas for how to fix this mechanically with little effort if you haven't gotten there). I'd just like to help avoid any potential outrage from people with less restraint. This will likely be a successful project no matter what due to the subject, and I'm happy to just wait for a walkthrough mod someone will inevitably make if the game gets too confusing. Best of luck!

Shine_

Sep 1, 2018
Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it.
I'm unclear as to why those particular choices result in the sex scene as opposed to the others.
I understand that it may be confusing. It's just that I don't really like when a game gives you two choices, with one of them being an obvious bad choice that serves no purpose other than telling you "This is a wrong choice, load your last save and choose the one I want you to choose."

So in Barbara's case, the two choices are not necessarily right or wrong, these are just choices. For example, the "Don't worry her" choice will give you +1 Kindess, but the "Be honest" will give you +1 affection (As of now there's no way to see how much affection you have with the girls, I'll include that soon).
That way, even if you didn't get Barbara's scene, you can still get these stat point increases that will be helpful in other events down the line.
And as to why those choices have that effect in this scenario, the "Don't worry her" option shows the main character's kindness, being in pain but not wanting to make her worry because she looks tired. But in turn making her frustrated, as she knows he's in pain and wants to help.
The "Be honest" option would be something Barbara appreciates, because as a healer, she can't help you if you don't tell her what's wrong. She's the one in charge of taking care of the city's injured people, so I felt that she would appreciate being told when a patient is in pain.

I also know this may be confusing, and probably not very fun to play to some. As you said before, you wouldn't even know there was a scene there if you didn't see the images and people talking about it, and I'm afraid this is just the result of my lack of experience. I did mention before that this is my first game, so I'm trying to find a middle ground between what I want to make and what people want, but that same lack of experience will get in the way sometimes.

Reactions: Throwing Pumpkins

chickenmaid

Oct 9, 2019
The new early release is ready on my .

I severely underestimated the workload of making a game, and that combined with the fact that I'm still learning and some other outside factors. I didn't manage to have the new release ready for last week.

I added two new scenes and two other missions that will lead to scenes later on. Also finished the questlog system and added a textbox that appears when you hover a location on the map.

I'll keep working on it and I believe the full release will come in a day or two, so please wait until then.
Any news on the next update?

Reactions: Shine_

weirddude94

Jan 12, 2018
I don't really like when a game gives you two choices, with one of them being an obvious bad choice that serves no purpose other than telling you "This is a wrong choice, load your last save and choose the one I want you to choose."
So (correct me if I'm wrong) the focus is on the story as a whole and sometimes missing a sex scene is simply part of the journey. I only say this because, if the sex scenes are a central part of the experience, missing one would be perceived as a "wrong" choice. I like not being channeled into one specific chain of dialogue, it's just it needs to not conflict with the sex scenes if they're something player is meant to be prioritizing. I only say this because if every scene has a series of specific conversation choice requirements (and perhaps even stat requirements dependent on your choices in previous conversations), an "all sex scenes" run would end up pushing players into the exact opposite of what you're intending. Again, this might already be something you've considered and have a solution for (and the open-world-ish exploration of Mondstadt makes me think you probably do), so this is mostly for the sake of conversation.

I did mention before that this is my first game, so I'm trying to find a middle ground between what I want to make and what people want, but that same lack of experience will get in the way sometimes.
Totally makes sense, you'll figure it out.

So in Barbara's case, the two choices are not necessarily right or wrong, these are just choices. For example, the "Don't worry her" choice will give you +1 Kindess, but the "Be honest" will give you +1 affection (As of now there's no way to see how much affection you have with the girls, I'll include that soon).
That way, even if you didn't get Barbara's scene, you can still get these stat point increases that will be helpful in other events down the line.
And as to why those choices have that effect in this scenario, the "Don't worry her" option shows the main character's kindness, being in pain but not wanting to make her worry because she looks tired. But in turn making her frustrated, as she knows he's in pain and wants to help.
The "Be honest" option would be something Barbara appreciates, because as a healer, she can't help you if you don't tell her what's wrong. She's the one in charge of taking care of the city's injured people, so I felt that she would appreciate being told when a patient is in pain.
I can kindof extrapolate some similar logic for the name compliment, something about being too flustered and kinda just wanting to excuse herself (again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, I think it's a little weak if we're talking about whether or not this would sway someone with Barbara's demeanor towards or away from giving a handjob to someone she just met, but I'll chalk that up to this being more of a test/demo as you've stated before, just wanting to have a bit of sexiness in your first release. Or maybe her curse removal methods truly are standard practice....

Either way, keep it up and have fun!

Axismundi

Jul 14, 2018
Shine_
I'ma elaborate on my previous comment which was quoting this

don't put missable scenes in the game, if you want stat requirements thats fine imo it can add to the lore of the game itself if done right.
But from what I can tell this is you're first game and from a pure consumer perspective all having missable scenes will do is drive potential players away
I strongly disagree with this statement; I believe that missable scenes are not only perfectly fine, but also necessary in a game with a focus on story, as they give the player a reason to actually pay attention and participate. Hell, I wouldn't mind branching routes with completely different characters locked to them. If you don't want to miss a scene, that's what the save button is for. Don't limit the story you want to tell because some people are too lazy to load a save. Also, I would like to throw in my vote and say that Loli is Love, Loli is Life, and more venti is always a plus.

Shine_

Sep 1, 2018
New version is ready to download.

As you all probably know, I was VERY slow on releasing this update. That's pretty much because of the same reasons as the ones I stated before. College started a few weeks ago so I couldn't keep up with both my studies and the game at the same time. I'll try to up the pace so that I can have at the very least a new version ready every month. Thank you everyone for waiting.

Win/Linux: - MEGA - WORKUPLOAD

Axismundi

Jul 14, 2018
New version is ready to download.

As you all probably know, I was VERY slow on releasing this update. That's pretty much because of the same reasons as the ones I stated before. College started a few weeks ago so I couldn't keep up with both my studies and the game at the same time. I'll try to up the pace so that I can have at the very least a new version ready every month. Thank you everyone for waiting.

Win/Linux: - MEGA - WORKUPLOAD
Don't worry and take as much time as you need. It can be hard to juggle both college and making a game. Don't burn yourself out.

Shine_

Sep 1, 2018
Given the dialogue options with Glory, is there going to be NTR and/or cheating?
If you decide to keep helping Glory, there will eventually be some NTR content where you steal her from Godwin. Of course that's not implemented yet, and it won't have as much focus as the other important characters of course.
It will be a short side quest, I want to add other NPC side quests like that in the future.

chickenmaid

Oct 9, 2019
Lewding Glory and other plain-Jane NPC is definitely unique, although I'm glad it isn't a high priority.

I strongly disagree with this statement; I believe that missable scenes are not only perfectly fine, but also necessary in a game with a focus on story, as they give the player a reason to actually pay attention and participate. Hell, I wouldn't mind branching routes with completely different characters locked to them. If you don't want to miss a scene, that's what the save button is for. Don't limit the story you want to tell because some people are too lazy to load a save. Also, I would like to throw in my vote and say that Loli is Love, Loli is Life, and more venti is always a plus.
About missable scenes: I was still missing something on the handbook and couldn't find it through other means, so I tried clicking on spots on the world map like Hilichurl camps and the buried treasure in the Whispering Woods (nothing unfortunately). I then looked at the changelog and assume it's a visual bug because I play through all the scenes on the list. But it was still pretty fun looking for branching or hidden routes while being immersed by the background music.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes