XanusR

Sep 17, 2018
Eh, nah.

Go back and actually read the feedback. Was it constructive? Was it impartial? or was it a bunch of whining ass adult-children who were upset because the story didn't go they way THEY WANTED IT?

The writer has 100% full control and say in all of how their story goes. An author who caves in to their fan base, as you apparently think is ok to do, is an author that many of us *wouldn't* support since it shows they have no courage and no backbone to tell the story they want to tell.

Let's put this another way.. Would *you* accept some schmuck coming in off the street into your home or place of work and telling you "you're doing it wrong, do this instead"? Probably not, the vast majority of us would tell that person to go fuck off somewhere, but that's basically what all this whining feedback is. The character WASN'T EVEN REAL.
Ok... I'll break this down question by question.

Was it constructive?: I agree a fair amount of it wasn't constructive at all, but some did leave constructive criticism in the outrage that has been unfairly overlooked due to said outrage.

Was it impartial?: If you're a fan of a game and have been since the start of its development, regardless of genre, it'd be incredibly difficult to keep an impartial view. I personally think I have kept an impartial view, but others may disagree.

Was it a bunch of whining ass adult-children who was upset because the story didn't go the way THEY WANTED IT?: I feel I kind of addressed this in the first question.

The character WASN'T EVEN REAL: It doesn't matter. When someone gets invested in something, be it a character movie or novel like this one or similar, they're gonna be severely disappointed and fairly pissed off if the developer/film-maker then goes, "Oh whoops, there goes your favourite character" at the end, unless it is made clear long before the end that this was the direction headed, which to be fair in this case, it was clear that was the character wasn't gonna stick around. Still, the execution of it is what people are disappointed and mad about; it was a gunshot out of literally nowhere with no build-up to that gunshot or explanation of why it even happened.

Regardless, from a PR stance, you don't start having a hissy fit at disappointed fans for voicing their disappointment, regardless of how much it may hurt. It's just the wrong way of handling backlash.

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
Thanks for sharing that, I guess.

But this engagement with pirates right now doesn't look productive. Prolly better to take a break from this site for the day, go in a pub, meet with your partner, hang out with friends, that kind of thing. Then take a look at the response with fresh eyes in the morning (and maybe the community's response has shifted by then too).
Maybe the real ending was the women we impregnate along the way. They are focusing on the ending and forgot all the good content in between.

Reactions: 6string420

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
If an ending is bad enough all the content leading up to it can feel like a waste of time.
If there is dirt on the skin of my apple, I will wash it and eat the apple. I'm not the kind of person who finishes the whole story, I will be content with the part I enjoy.

Seacth

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2020
Ok... I'll break this down question by question.

Was it constructive?: I agree a fair amount of it wasn't constructive at all, but some did leave constructive criticism in the outrage that has been unfairly overlooked due to said outrage.

Was it impartial?: If you're a fan of a game and have been since the start of its development, regardless of genre, it'd be incredibly difficult to keep an impartial view. I personally think I have kept an impartial view, but others may disagree.

Was it a bunch of whining ass adult-children who was upset because the story didn't go the way THEY WANTED IT?: I feel I kind of addressed this in the first question.

The character WASN'T EVEN REAL: It doesn't matter. When someone gets invested in something, be it a character movie or novel like this one or similar, they're gonna be severely disappointed and fairly pissed off if the developer/film-maker then goes, "Oh whoops, there goes your favourite character" at the end, unless it is made clear long before the end that this was the direction headed, which to be fair in this case, it was clear that was the character wasn't gonna stick around. Still, the execution of it is what people are disappointed and mad about; it was a gunshot out of literally nowhere with no build-up to that gunshot or explanation of why it even happened.

Regardless, from a PR stance, you don't start having a hissy fit at disappointed fans for voicing their disappointment, regardless of how much it may hurt. It's just the wrong way of handling backlash.
Now there's some constructive feedback. Yes, I accept that Sarah's mother's involvement in the story is a bit rushed, and I blame myself for that. I thought of adding more lines for her during the early parts of the game, but I didn't plan ahead very well, and I accept the problem that brings. I've made a lot of mistakes during the development of this game, but that was the whole reason I've made this game in the first place. This was my test project, but somehow it took me four years to finish it, lol.

XanusR

Sep 17, 2018
Supporters? This game has been out for my supporters for 20 days and none of them told me this was a bad ending?
If none of the people who paid you thought it was a bad ending, then fair enough, I won't argue there.

That doesn't change the overall opinion of the wider fanbase, though. It was still negatively received overall, and the wider fanbase is just as important as those who financially support you because those who currently don't within the wider fanbase may do so further down the line but are unlikely to do so if the perception of you is "a great developer that bungled the ending badly". I don't hold that perception of you, and I wholeheartedly congratulate you on finishing DR.

XanusR

Sep 17, 2018
Now there's some constructive feedback. Yes, I accept that Sarah's mother's involvement in the story is a bit rushed, and I blame myself for that. I thought of adding more lines for her during the early parts of the game, but I didn't plan ahead very well, and I accept the problem that brings. I've made a lot of mistakes during the development of this game, but that was the whole reason I've made this game in the first place. This was my test project, but somehow it took me four years to finish it, lol.
To be totally fair, as a test project, you've knocked it out of the park to get people so invested. You're clearly a great writer with the potential to have a future catalogue of great games. I would suggest in future, if you, yourself, feel a part of a story/novel you're writing is rushed, as you have mentioned you do with Sarah's mother's involvement, give yourself more time to write it or re-write it so it doesn't feel rushed and therefore doesn't have any potentially confusing plot holes. Most people would rather wait a bit longer for it and for it to be paced as intended than have you rush it and have issues like this within the story.

Nezron

Apr 13, 2023
Why do people think it was a bad ending? Remember the beginning of the game.. the MC was suicidal, Serena was a coping mechanism in his mind... she was never real.

The ending takes us full circle, he does not need her anymore, he has all the girls and his children now. He can be happy. If he needs to talk to someone... he has a lot of options now.

I don't have a problem with the ending. I enjoyed the story. And we have a finished game.
Congrats Dev for a job well done. Looking forward to your next adventure.
peace

Warphorror

Jan 2, 2018
To be honest it's only when Sarah's mom appear that I realized that her parents were very absent of the whole situation with their daughter leaving and her insertion at that point felt weird especially with the sex scene that happenned quite brutally.

Concerning Serena it was underwhelming that her leaving is due to an external factor rather than mc growing past her.
There is a difference, I think, between drama and tragic for an ending. Drama gives a stimulation to the plot, it relaunch the pace where in an ending you usually want closure, slowing down which can be tragic or happy or a mix. Here it played more like a stimulus before just ending, an acceleration that didn't seemed to lead somewhere.

I'm interested to know what was the plan with the gun from your point of view as the creator, what impact did you want to make, the point storywise? Was it simply a convenient way to tie the loose ends of Sarah's mom and Serena leaving? Or that element was in your plan one way or another since a while?

I forgot to say it before si I'll say it now : Congratulation for finishing the harem ending and seeing the project to its end.

Vax Morale

Dec 26, 2022
Why do people think it was a bad ending? Remember the beginning of the game.. the MC was suicidal, Serena was a coping mechanism in his mind... she was never real.

The ending takes us full circle, he does not need her anymore, he has all the girls and his children now. He can be happy. If he needs to talk to someone... he has a lot of options now.

I don't have a problem with the ending. I enjoyed the story. And we have a finished game.
Congrats Dev for a job well done. Looking forward to your next adventure.
peace
It's about how it happened not that it happened

Reactions: KingSet

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
First and foremost, congratz to finishing the story. I like most parts of it. The part of this last update, that I didn't like, was also the whole Serena and Kelly's Mother situation. IMHO, it felt forced, out of place and didn't the overall vibe of the rest of the game. In addition, it also lead to a time skip of nearly a year. While I don't have the creative skills to come up with a better resolution, I still do think, that there would've been a better way to let Serena disappear, maybe a little more build up with the whole situation of Kelly and her parents or like others suggested, that the Sam did grow on his own enough, so that he wouldn't need Serena anymore. This left me a little dissapointed. Once again, an overall good story, congratz again to finishing it, and maybe take the fair and constructive critism to learn and grow from for your next project, if there will be a following one!

Reactions: Seacth

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
So, instead of playing a game you supposedly really liked and loved, to see the actual ending of the story yourself, you're taking the thoughts of the unwashed masses as your final thought of the game? You apparently didn't actually like the game if you're not even willing to see for yourself how the ending fit (or not fit) with the actual story and instead are swayed by the opinions of others. It must be hard to not be able to form your own opinions and just lean on the judgement of others for all decisions, good luck with that.
Well thanks for your reply to my comment but ...
Unfortunately you are wrong when you say that I base my opinion on the opinions of others, because it is not the opinions of others that caused me to write what I wrote earlier.
My own opinion about the ending of this game and the whole game in general after addition such ending is based on spoilers so on information about what kind of ending game has and what happened in this ending and this is already enough reason for me to know that I also don't like such ending and after reading many of these spoilers about how the game ends in the case of harem ending I know that I don't even want to see this kind of ending myself.
And believe me, you can form your completely own opinion if you know the content of the game and you don't have to be influenced in any way by the opinions of others as you claim in your reply to my comment.

Reactions: GokutheG

Pgsurprise

Nov 27, 2022
From something123321 review.
"TL/DR: Decent game overall, but pregnancy choices are fake. Play if you enjoy harem and pregnancy. Play halfway if you enjoy harem, but not pregnancy. Don't play at all if you dislike both, or enjoy harem but not leaving a game unfinished.".

Perhaps one of the funniest and most helpful lines in a review I've seen. "play half the game". LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: something123321

holaje12

Dec 17, 2018
I came to shit on the ending but I am too late apparently.

Either way it seems "subverting expectations" is more important than delivering a satisfying ending for the people that have been following and supporting the project for so many years. A true artist that is willing throw his own game to the trash, and shit on his fans all for his "vision".

Also seems like the new game will even rape this one's corpse even further with a new protagonist, but I am not wasting my time with that one at least, thats for sure

Last edited:

fajiker145

Jan 25, 2024
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts with the ending and the game overall. I'm already working on a sequel for DR, alongside with a brand-new game. I'm just going to talk about the sequel for a bit to clear some of the confusion, the ending gave you.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Oh boy, regardless of the awful ending.

I dont know if people will be happy with a sequel that not only doesn't have the old MC of this game, but also has his daughters (that were slightly teased in this game for him) getting fucked by a new MC.

I would get it if it was in the future and the old MC wasn't around anymore, but if it is only a few years after this, wih his daughters still around, then it just feels like replacing him with some new guy no one cares about, and that will even get what was supposed to be for the old MC. (And even if not, his daughters getting fucked :KEK:)

Kind of like when they tried to replace Goku with Gohan, or Naruto with Boruto, just ends up as a not very good "sequel" imo. Anyway, regardless of that, don't know if I even want to try his other unrelated game if this is what the dev considers a "perfect" ending, that can't even be questioned. I usually expect a bit more when I am reading a story, a bad ending can really make you question why you even bothered with it, even if it had some good things before. :unsure::coffee:

Last edited:
3.90 star(s) 51 Votes