VN Ren'Py Abandoned Deviancy [v0.4 Bugfix] [Mr. B0NES]

4.10 star(s) 29 Votes
Aug 2, 2018
Mr. Bones, ik u probably spent a ton of time developing characters and shit, but uh this is with great amount of love for all ur other characters, like all of them, but Suzy fucking sucks

Reactions: Aelgwenn

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw.

I say, so what?! It can be annoying, but read enough of it and you get used to the differences. It's certainly not worth getting upset about when you play a game and the version of the language is not yours.

To me the worst offense is when a British developer refuses to say 'ass' and uses 'arse' instead, since that's in the important stuff... the sex scenes. :) And yet, I've managed to survive.
It does not annoy me, just thought I would point it out. Funny seeing it set in the US but using UK terminology and spellings.

Edit to add, just finished through the end of current revision. So far, love all the characters, even those we are supposed to hate. Kinda hope CeCe has a redemption arc. Love the humor and the FFX references came at me out of left field. Also love the "barely an inconvenience" references. Will add this to the short list of games I will support financially. Humor, lack of non-consensual content, lovable characters, those are the ingredients I look for in a game. Please do not have the Aunt resort to blackmail. I hate that in the games I play. It will be a sure way to make my support not last very long.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Please do not have the Aunt resort to blackmail. I hate that in the games I play. It will be a sure way to make my support not last very long.
I don't see this game going that way.

What would she blackmail them for? Sex? Like, the MC (and probably Suzy too) is going to want to do that anyway.

Aunt Krista: "I'll forget I saw any of this, MC, but only if you will have sex with me"

MC: "Oh please Aunty, please don't make me fuck you! *snicker*"

Suzy: "Aunty, don't forget about me!!! Why should he have all the fun?"

ufsmt

Jul 9, 2017
It does not annoy me, just thought I would point it out. Funny seeing it set in the US but using UK terminology and spellings.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's set in the US. I know most games like this tend to be in the US (or an alternate world analogue) by default, but I'm pretty sure that Deviancy is set in the UK. Especially since the latest update had that Theatre/Theater discussion (The owners are American), and referencing the Torries quite a few times (British political stuff).
Just ignore the fact that all the cars seem to be left-hand drive though, that's probably a result of limited asset availability. Perhaps it's an alt-world analogue of the UK where they drive on the right hand side for the road for some weird reason :eek:.

I typically assume these games are in a non-specific made up country, until told otherwise. That way, when I find out it's set in Donutistan or Amkeria or whatever, it's less of an issue.

[not aimed at bamachine]
I find it refreshing to read in proper British spelling. Not having to deal with the super annoying and hard to do imposition of mentally converting US spelling is a nice change.
Half of that was sarcasm btw, it's not difficult, you'll get used to it, just like everyone who's from a country that uses British spelling gets used to dealing with US spelling everywhere; it's even easier than reading common typo's. A bigger issue (for me) is dealing with imperial/metric, especially when it comes to temperature (it's 80 degrees outside?? How are you even alive!?.. oh, you mean Fahrenheit, yeah, I guess 26 degrees Celcius is pretty nice).

EDIT: Suzy is Best Girl!

Grizzly^_^

Dec 2, 2017
My fave thing to do whenever a dev decides to put a "Choose the Age" options is to put in a really low number, like 1 or a high number like 999, and see if they have put any limits to it. Can make a story make no sense at all when they talk about age and an obvious teen or mature is refered to as 1yr or 99yrs....

A Limit on a "Choose an Age" option is something to think of adding if you have a canon age that isn't straight forward to initially set...

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's set in the US. I know most games like this tend to be in the US (or an alternate world analogue) by default, but I'm pretty sure that Deviancy is set in the UK. Especially since the latest update had that Theatre/Theater discussion (The owners are American), and referencing the Torries quite a few times (British political stuff).
Just ignore the fact that all the cars seem to be left-hand drive though, that's probably a result of limited asset availability. Perhaps it's an alt-world analogue of the UK where they drive on the right hand side for the road for some weird reason :eek:.

I typically assume these games are in a non-specific made up country, until told otherwise. That way, when I find out it's set in Donutistan or Amkeria or whatever, it's less of an issue.

[not aimed at bamachine]
I find it refreshing to read in proper British spelling. Not having to deal with the super annoying and hard to do imposition of mentally converting US spelling is a nice change.
Half of that was sarcasm btw, it's not difficult, you'll get used to it, just like everyone who's from a country that uses British spelling gets used to dealing with US spelling everywhere; it's even easier than reading common typo's. A bigger issue (for me) is dealing with imperial/metric, especially when it comes to temperature (it's 80 degrees outside?? How are you even alive!?.. oh, you mean Fahrenheit, yeah, I guess 26 degrees Celcius is pretty nice).

EDIT: Suzy is Best Girl!
All the cities they mentioned living in prior were US cities, even their current city is a US city. If it were cities like Manchester, Birmingham(although there is one of those in both places), Glasgow, etc., then less confusion. Plus the vehicles have the steering wheel on the left side, that you mentioned. A few other things earlier in the game would lead one to think it was set in the US. It did seem to shift a bit later on, I did notice the theater being owned by Americans bit. Dr BONES may very well be trying to sow confusion.

As for difficulty of reading in British English, that is no issue, for me. I have read probably a hundred books over the years written in British English, so I am familiar with the spelling and phraseology differences enough that it doesn't give me pause. Also, big fan of Monty Python, Blackadder, The IT Crowd and other British comedy series. I just kinda found the juxtaposition humorous in this case. I even thought it might have been done on purpose.

As for the metric vs Imperial thing, other than temperature, I wish we would adopt the metric system. They have started putting both on a lot of things, like miles and kilometers on interstate road signs. Metric is so much simpler, with multiples of ten.

The one thing I cannot abide, in the differences in the two versions of the language is the way the UK residents pronounce aluminum...just kidding...maybe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Walter Victor

Grizzly^_^

Dec 2, 2017
Ok so... What is it with Renpy games/devs and the want to make the textbox transparent, text white or fluro colours and ALSO make the backgrounds/lower parts of the screen white/bright. It makes reading the text near impossible. We can easily middle click if there is something that we need to see behind it. Let us be able to read dang it...

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
Ok so... What is it with Renpy games/devs and the want to make the textbox transparent, text white or fluro colours and ALSO make the backgrounds/lower parts of the screen white/bright. It makes reading the text near impossible. We can easily middle click if there is something that we need to see behind it. Let us be able to read dang it...
Install the multimod found on the first page. ShaddyModda put options in there to add a textbox backdrop(just crank it up to 100) and also allows you to change the text size.

Grizzly^_^

Dec 2, 2017
Install the multimod found on the first page. ShaddyModda put options in there to add a textbox backdrop(just crank it up to 100) and also allows you to change the text size.
Thanks. It must be something my side, but the bar does nothing... Regardless, this option should be standard anyway.

Meghead

Apr 28, 2021
Seriously, a game about harem and incest, but at school MC spends more time with a gay friend than with girls, is this a game about incest\harem or am I missing the gay tag?

• Angry
Reactions: jufot

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Seriously, a game about harem and incest, but at school MC spends more time with a gay friend than with girls, is this a game about incest\harem or am I missing the gay tag?
OOH! A gay man in a game. RUN GOR THE HILLS!!!

You do not seriously believe that the MC is gay, do you? The developer has addressed this issue on this thread. Look it up.

Reactions: jufot

Meghead

Apr 28, 2021
OOH! A gay man in a game. RUN GOR THE HILLS!!!

You do not seriously believe that the MC is gay, do you? The developer has addressed this issue on this thread. Look it up.
Nah, of course not. I just don't understand why so much screen time is devoted to him and not to girls, if I wanted to spend time with a gay friend, I would probably choose another game with a different tag. I don't want to sound rude or something, just my opinion.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Nah, of course not. I just don't understand why so much screen time is devoted to him and not to girls, if I wanted to spend time with a gay friend, I would probably choose another game with a different tag. I don't want to sound rude or something, just my opinion.
This developer has decided to slow-burn most of the potential LIs. To compensate, he has given Suzy to us horndogs who need immediate sex in games.

Think about it, though. If Vic was straight, we would have scores of posters complaining about NTR!!! At least we are spared that possibility.

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
This developer has decided to slow-burn most of the potential LIs. To compensate, he has given Suzy to us horndogs who need immediate sex in games.

Think about it, though. If Vic was straight, we would have scores of posters complaining about NTR!!! At least we are spared that possibility.
Plus, he seems to be the only other named male in the entire school. Even CeCe's toy is just named CeCe's Boyfriend. The two dudes hitting on Liz are just ?? and may forever stay as such.

Reactions: Walter Victor
4.10 star(s) 29 Votes