MoolahMilk

Game Developer
Oct 25, 2020
Wait Pregnant farm? is that what Eve was talking about in the crypt?
The crypt is something else but yea, there will be a pregnant farm. You'll just have to wait and see for that.

I have finished my first play of the game. It´s not a small feat to make a sandbox game where you don´t need a walktrought and that have a build in help sistem that it´s good enought to guide you and not so comprensive that you feel like a puppet.

I have enjoyed it, and it´s a damm good game. I want to make this cristal clear, because from this point I´m going to criticize aspects of the game, and don´t want give anyone the wrong impresion.

I have a major criticism to the game, and some puntual ones. I will go first with the puntual ones.

The puntual ones refers, first, to the point where I get stuck, and secont to some minigames.

I get stuck in the crypt.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Second, the minigames. Ok, may be my opinion will have some bias. I, generally, dislike minigames. I can give them a pass if you can pass them, or not, and the game goes on. But if you must pass them in order to go with the game I don´t see the point. I don´t like to expend 15 minutes trying to rebuild a broken photo in less that 2:30, or making again a walk throught some industrial building in order to succeed in a stealth chek, or hiting 20 times a giant spider with a club.

But this two are minor criticisms. Not big deal, really. The big deal with the game it´s that it´s putting to much effort in the potatoes and leting apart the meat. Too wide and too few deepth.
The game lack focus.

I hope that this will be corrected in future updates, because, in my mind, it will be the diference between a good game and an excelent one.
Very fair feedback. I'll just address two of you issues.

1. Puzzles.
It's a personal choice. I like puzzles and sandbox type things. VN bores me. I know some hate it but well, I'm trying to make it less tedious and as intuitive as possible yet rewarding at the same time. But it's not easy to do and some people will hate it even if it's perfectly structured. All I can say is I'm constantly trying to make it more intuitive but it will always be there. For those that dislike sandbox or such things, well different strokes for different folks.

2. Focus.
Yes, I totally understand what you mean. I am very clear of the direction of the game. I know exactly what I want to make and the entire story is already structured. The problem comes with releases and repeating players. I know it feels like you cant get content with the main cast and it's always branching out. But there is a reason. Every character in the game is important for each aspect. It will be apparent later on. Development takes time, I cannot push the main cast forward without getting all these things done first. I never wanted to be another one of those sandbox where you release just to increase content and please players. There is a HUGE connection to the main story and there are reasons why I can't push certain parts of the game yet.

The good news is that brand new players are clearly enjoying the game more and more each update. You just have to trust me on that. I know exactly where I want to take the game. I know many repeating players will be disappointed but it will pay off. It may seem like lacking in focus, but they are all important to the main story. We haven't managed to even get to the hook yet!

What gives me hope is that despite not showing all our cards, we have already gained quite a good support base! It gives me more confidence for when the gloves are off and we get to the meat of the game, it will blow up. Since I started the game I always knew the beginning will be the hardest part. Thankfully, we've breezed thru it. Once we get to the meat, it will be worth it.

We're still early in development. BE PATIENT! Let it play out. I need to work on different aspects of the game. I'm still trying my best to make each release satisfying at least. But my objective is always to develop the game as a whole. In addition, this is a very ambitious game. I want to make something unique and special. If I just wanted money, I could copy and paste a highschool harem formula and do what everyone else does. Easy, simple and way less effort. I mean we have the renders to do it.

But if I'm gonna spend years on this game, I want to try something different. Something I'm proud of. Will it work out? Who knows. But let's wait and see no?

I'm not interested in putting out update after update just to appease people and gain patrons. I want to make a good game. So that means sometimes, we need to develop other parts of the game that you may not like. It will make sense when we are deeper in development. Each of the main cast, as well as most of the characters you see have HUGE parts to play. Things are not as they seem and many surprises to come.

It is annoying for me because I know exactly what you guys want based on the countless feedback I've sifted through. It will come. Wait for it. Like a jigsaw it will make more and more sense later on. My recommendation if you're impatient is to come back half a year or even a year later, and have a play. It will feel a lot different then.

In the meantime, continue supporting the game and give us energy to press on.

Cheers buds.

Interrogate all the 4 nuns and blackmail them but i dont see this. whats the trigger?
for some reason, the game doesn't let me progress after interrogating and blackmailing 3 of the 4 nuns and going to the crypt. Also the redheads plot wont trigger at all
Guys, the scene wont trigger if you're on the beta patch. It should be fixed in 0.5.5 which is already uploaded in the thread.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
The crypt is something else but yea, there will be a pregnant farm. You'll just have to wait and see for that.

1. Puzzles.
It's a personal choice. I like puzzles and sandbox type things. VN bores me. I know some hate it but well, I'm trying to make it less tedious and as intuitive as possible yet rewarding at the same time. But it's not easy to do and some people will hate it even if it's perfectly structured. All I can say is I'm constantly trying to make it more intuitive but it will always be there. For those that dislike sandbox or such things, well different strokes for different folks.

2. Focus.
Yes, I totally understand what you mean. I am very clear of the direction of the game. I know exactly what I want to make and the entire story is already structured. The problem comes with releases and repeating players. I know it feels like you cant get content with the main cast and it's always branching out. But there is a reason. Every character in the game is important for each aspect. It will be apparent later on. Development takes time, I cannot push the main cast forward without getting all these things done first. I never wanted to be another one of those sandbox where you release just to increase content and please players. There is a HUGE connection to the main story and there are reasons why I can't push certain parts of the game yet.

The good news is that brand new players are clearly enjoying the game more and more each update. You just have to trust me on that. I know exactly where I want to take the game. I know many repeating players will be disappointed but it will pay off. It may seem like lacking in focus, but they are all important to the main story. We haven't managed to even get to the hook yet!

What gives me hope is that despite not showing all our cards, we have already gained quite a good support base! It gives me more confidence for when the gloves are off and we get to the meat of the game, it will blow up. Since I started the game I always knew the beginning will be the hardest part. Thankfully, we've breezed thru it. Once we get to the meat, it will be worth it.

We're still early in development. BE PATIENT! Let it play out. I need to work on different aspects of the game. I'm still trying my best to make each release satisfying at least. But my objective is always to develop the game as a whole. In addition, this is a very ambitious game. I want to make something unique and special. If I just wanted money, I could copy and paste a highschool harem formula and do what everyone else does. Easy, simple and way less effort. I mean we have the renders to do it.

But if I'm gonna spend years on this game, I want to try something different. Something I'm proud of. Will it work out? Who knows. But let's wait and see no?

I'm not interested in putting out update after update just to appease people and gain patrons. I want to make a good game. So that means sometimes, we need to develop other parts of the game that you may not like. It will make sense when we are deeper in development. Each of the main cast, as well as most of the characters you see have HUGE parts to play. Things are not as they seem and many surprises to come.

It is annoying for me because I know exactly what you guys want based on the countless feedback I've sifted through. It will come. Wait for it. Like a jigsaw it will make more and more sense later on. My recommendation if you're impatient is to come back half a year or even a year later, and have a play. It will feel a lot different then.

In the meantime, continue supporting the game and give us energy to press on.

Cheers buds.

Guys, the scene wont trigger if you're on the beta patch. It should be fixed in 0.5.5 which is already uploaded in the thread.
Regarding what bolondro2 was saying about minigames and what not...I did find the penis-spider battle tedious. I didn't really know if I was going in the right direction because sometimes it was hit or miss, literally. There just didn't seem to be an end in site. Maybe show an HP bar or something so players don't feel like what they are doing isn't having any effect. It did seem to go on a bit too long.

Also, the timed puzzle. The most frustrating thing about that was that you have limited workspace. So I was spending a lot of time moving pieces out of the way just so I could see what everything was, as well as see the grid I was applying it to. I think it might make it better to have all pieces off the grid to begin with. I don't think anyone tries to put a puzzle together in the middle of their piece pile, right?

MoolahMilk

Game Developer
Oct 25, 2020
Regarding what bolondro2 was saying about minigames and what not...I did find the penis-spider battle tedious. I didn't really know if I was going in the right direction because sometimes it was hit or miss, literally. There just didn't seem to be an end in site. Maybe show an HP bar or something so players don't feel like what they are doing isn't having any effect. It did seem to go on a bit too long.

Also, the timed puzzle. The most frustrating thing about that was that you have limited workspace. So I was spending a lot of time moving pieces out of the way just so I could see what everything was, as well as see the grid I was applying it to. I think it might make it better to have all pieces off the grid to begin with. I don't think anyone tries to put a puzzle together in the middle of their piece pile, right?
Yup! Thx for the reprot. Both these points are mentioned already. Im planning to rework the spider thing. I'm currently trying to push really hard so that we complete other areas before reworking some of the old puzzles. I will fine tune them every now and then as the game goes on. That includes things like the bar fight, spider fight, increasing the size of the knife and some areas of the case etc etc.

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

viclog1

Aug 5, 2016
Well, this sucks. I liked the game so far (0.4.5) but I spent a lot of time through it and there's no way that I'll start the whole thing from scratch.
Maybe I'll play it when it'll be done (if it'll be done), with a proper walkthrough and everything: but in the meantime you lost a fan, I'm sorry.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Well, this sucks. I liked the game so far (0.4.5) but I spent a lot of time through it and there's no way that I'll start the whole thing from scratch.
Maybe I'll play it when it'll be done (if it'll be done), with a proper walkthrough and everything: but in the meantime you lost a fan, I'm sorry.
Dev has been saying this would be a replay for so long. Often times, during development, there is a change that requires something that you already played to be redone. Keep in mind, this isn't a finished project, so changes are inevitable. On top of that, there can be external factors, like the updating of Ren'py, the engine this game runs on. Sometimes the changes are not compatible. This is not the fault of the dev. If you can't handle that, you should only play games that are in complete status. It's not fair to the devs who are working to improve their games based on feedback and what not.

mginvoke

Sep 29, 2020
I'm pretty sure that 0.4.5 was a leaked version of the game anyway, and there was ample warning both in the thread's OP and on Patreon itself that 0.5 would require new saves. I think it's a little unfair to quit the game due to just that, to be honest with you. but it's ultimately your choice

viclog1

Aug 5, 2016
Dev has been saying this would be a replay for so long. Often times, during development, there is a change that requires something that you already played to be redone. Keep in mind, this isn't a finished project, so changes are inevitable. On top of that, there can be external factors, like the updating of Ren'py, the engine this game runs on. Sometimes the changes are not compatible. This is not the fault of the dev. If you can't handle that, you should only play games that are in complete status. It's not fair to the devs who are working to improve their games based on feedback and what not.
Many devs have the (empathy? decency? you choose) to share a full save when they are forced to redo their renpy.
Especially when the player had to go a loooong and difficult way 'til his last "old" update. Hours and hours of been-there-done-that, man.
I liked the game, really, but this is far too frustrating for my tastes. And no one can guarantee that this would be the only restart (hence the reference to the final version of the game).

P3m82003

Apr 20, 2020
Hello guys im stuck with the investigation with the nuns, i have every clue (except the guys behind the tree) i talked with all the nuns, no more thing to do but i can accuse anyone (with the big red button) :/ if someone know what to do ?
on the bookshelf, near the book, you will see the nail

gmnbf

Feb 16, 2021
Thanks for reporting. U can download the latest version and see if it works.
Same error message even after downloading DeviantAnomalies-0.5.5-pc
I can run other renpy game with no problem
I don't even know what's wrong with my computer, since I searched this thread and havent found someone other than me with the same problem

MoolahMilk

Game Developer
Oct 25, 2020
Many devs have the (empathy? decency? you choose) to share a full save when they are forced to redo their renpy.
Especially when the player had to go a loooong and difficult way 'til his last "old" update. Hours and hours of been-there-done-that, man.
I liked the game, really, but this is far too frustrating for my tastes. And no one can guarantee that this would be the only restart (hence the reference to the final version of the game).
Hey its no problem man. I understand ur frustration. Plenty of other games to enjoy in the meantime.

But dont you find it ironic that u mentioned decency and empathy? lol. U do realise someone is spending hours to create content that you're consuming for free while you are giving absolutely nothing in return right? I dunno. How do you think a person with empathy and decency would respond?

Just a simple thought experiment. The developer is providing you value by creating entertainment and content for you. If the dev dies tomorrow, the content disappears. Thats value.

What value do u give in return? Value doesnt have to be financial. It could be in terms of support or being positive. Plenty of free players provide immense support in the form of motivation/gratitude/spreading the word so more patrons join etc etc that cannot be quantified by money. "Hey i cant support you on patreon but thanks so much for the game!" "Here are some bugs u missed. Maybe u could try this next time!".

Or in your case "Aww pretty dissapointed we have to replay the game! But man your game is great and i loved it. Hope u dont encounter too much problems next time so that we can have smooth development in future! Good luck! Ps, can i please get a save file? Sorry for the trouble."

Simple words like that provide immense value and gives a huge incentive for the dev to listen to your feedback and who knows? U might just get a save file!

Value. The world is built upon a natural value exchange system. Nothing comes for free and nobody owes you anything.

If a patron dies, the dev just lost a couple extra dollars a month. Thats value. If a supportive player dies, the dev just lost someone who might share or hype the game or give important feedback. Thats value.

Even f95 zone, a website whose sole purpose of existence is to leak other peoples hard work and pirate things for free...understands the concept of value.
F95zone provides developers with valuable exposure, allows developers to control their own threads, run developer competitions and open developer forums so that new people can be encouraged to start their own indie game so that this small community can grow and flourish. That's value.

Yes, even the biggest pirate of them all understands and provides value too.

But what about you? What would change if you died tomorrow? And if nothing changes then do you think it matters if u play the game or not?

Well...something would change. There would be one less entitled person spreading negativity. Now thats value.

Just some food for thought ;)

Same error message even after downloading DeviantAnomalies-0.5.5-pc
I can run other renpy game with no problem
I don't even know what's wrong with my computer, since I searched this thread and havent found someone other than me with the same problem

Hmm....Let me guess buddy... my magic crystal ball tells me that u have a controller plugged in. ;D

Last edited:

Malleee

Mar 13, 2018
hell i cant even solve the case where you need to question the nuns and find the one who actually did the killing. ive been all over the map, questioned them ALL literally there is no more dialogue to talk to them. ive collected every piece of evidence and i have no fucking idea what to do next, im seemingly stuck with no way to progress. i like games with puzzles but fuck me if your going to make it this hard im just going to use the gallery mod and skip the whole damn game.

if i do everything thats asked of me to do, and i still cant figure out how to progress thats bad game design.
Once you have all the hints:
As far as I can tell you can accuse any of the nuns or decide she committed suicide and progress the story.. Your accusation is not the end of the story here, there is a ton more investigation to do, the MC is making the mistake of believing he needs to make a decision now.. Don't be worried about getting it wrong. Pick the version you believe is most likely.

Reactions: Xypher

The_Hybrid

Nov 3, 2020
Hey its no problem man. I understand ur frustration. Plenty of other games to enjoy in the meantime.

But dont you find it ironic that u mentioned decency and empathy? lol. U do realise someone is spending hours to create content that you're consuming for free while you are giving absolutely nothing in return right? I dunno. How do you think a person with empathy and decency would respond?

Just a simple thought experiment. The developer is providing you value by creating entertainment and content for you. If the dev dies tomorrow, the content disappears. Thats value.

What value do u give in return? Value doesnt have to be financial. It could be in terms of support or being positive. Plenty of free players provide immense support in the form of motivation/gratitude/spreading the word so more patrons join etc etc that cannot be quantified by money. "Hey i cant support you on patreon but thanks so much for the game!" "Here are some bugs u missed. Maybe u could try this next time!".

Or in your case "Aww pretty dissapointed we have to replay the game! But man your game is great and i loved it. Hope u dont encounter too much problems next time so that we can have smooth development in future! Good luck! Ps, can i please get a save file? Sorry for the trouble."

Simple words like that provide immense value and gives a huge incentive for the dev to listen to your feedback and who knows? U might just get a save file!

Value. The world is built upon a natural value exchange system. Nothing comes for free and nobody owes you anything.

If a patron dies, the dev just lost a couple extra dollars a month. Thats value. If a supportive player dies, the dev just lost someone who might share or hype the game or give important feedback. Thats value.

Even f95 zone, a website whose sole purpose of existence is to leak other peoples hard work and pirate things for free...understands the concept of value.
F95zone provides developers with valuable exposure, allows developers to control their own threads, run developer competitions and open developer forums so that new people can be encouraged to start their own indie game so that this small community can grow and flourish. That's value.

Yes, even the biggest pirate of them all understands and provides value too.

But what about you? What would change if you died tomorrow? And if nothing changes then do you think it matters if u play the game or not?

Well...something would change. There would be one less entitled person spreading negativity. Now thats value.

Just some food for thought ;)

Hmm....Let me guess buddy... my magic crystal ball tells me that u have a controller plugged in. ;D
Thank God you respond to him/her. I was ready to write some rather really harsh words (I'm short-tempered as hell)

Malleee

Mar 13, 2018

1. Puzzles.
You are one of the most responsive Dev's I've seen, Thanks for following up on these kinds of comments. You talk about returned value so here is the best I can do.

1. The light switch puzzle, the "main board" was obvious, but it took me 3 attempts to find the 3 switches on the right... I just did not have the visual clue to locate it with a mouse over.

2. The spider fight. I thought that the slightly folded leg indicated the side I should attack from, but their are 2 images where I did not see anything that made it obvious where the best hit location was.... actually in all the fights I've just felt like I was guessing. (its not punishing, with roll backs it's actually trivial to win) I would have liked some more visual information to work with.

3. The click the mouse button to climb up the ledge (just after you've escaped the van you were kidnapped in) is just meh.... and when you complete it you click though several screens further as a result missing game text. If you roll back to far trying to read it..... its back to climbing the ledge...

4. Stat gains, I've had a few but they don't seem to be reflected.

5. Starting stat benefit, I'm not sure when these are taking effect, the charming one is obvious, the intelligence and strenght ones I'm not seeing... I would guess that you might get more time on the photo reassembly with the int choice and the climbing clicking puzzle is easier with the str choice?? Would be nice if the effects were made more apparent some how?

6. The cut to Autumn (the psychologist/psychiatrist was weird, I had no idea who I was talking to or why I was talking to her, perhaps I've forgotten some mention or encounter with her earlier but I felt really disconnected with that scene, like I'd missed a good 5 minutes of game play somehow.

7. Someone else mentioned that they were unhappy with the forced blackmail photos of Delilah(sp?) the red head nun, I did not have a problem with the scene as part of the story but it's forced on you and I can see their point. It would be nice if it does not interfere with the story line if you can decide to opt out of that blackmail photo shoot at any point... rather going through to forced sexual assault or digital rape.

Any way that the stuff that I recall, hope you find the feedback of some value.. :)

4.10 star(s) 172 Votes