Mephistofeles

Jul 9, 2017
How do you find the new content with Yuki?? I read something about a call to the gym, but thats not happening in my save.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
I probably won't fix that case since I that I'm porting the game to a new game engine entirely.
Interesting, good luck with that. It seems like things have been consolidating towards Ren'Py for some years now with Ye Olde RAGS, QSP, RPGM etc. falling by the wayside (obviously Twine and Unity are still kicking), and now people are increasingly bumping up against the limitations of what that engine can do. Will be interesting to see if there's a new wave of experimentation with different engines to come.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Interesting, good luck with that. It seems like things have been consolidating towards Ren'Py for some years now with Ye Olde RAGS, QSP, RPGM etc. falling by the wayside (obviously Twine and Unity are still kicking), and now people are increasingly bumping up against the limitations of what that engine can do. Will be interesting to see if there's a new wave of experimentation with different engines to come.
Well, the thing with Ren'Py is that it is basically a Python-based text adventure engine with support for graphics, video and audio. Other than that, it's much like the adventure games of the 80's and 90's.

It has fallen way, waaaay behind practically any other game development tool out there and I fail to understand why it's still being so heavily used.

Finsit

Harder Better Faster Cheater
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Funnily enough, a day before my announce Ren'Py got updated to support shaders.

Well I'm not quitting Ren'Py only for shaders, GUI was the actual driving force, but still, even if I don't know if the implementation is good, this is (probably) an improvement.
Too late for me as I stopped keeping my Ren'Py launcher updated as I stopped working on new features in this version of the game.

Well, the thing with Ren'Py is that it is basically a Python-based text adventure engine with support for graphics, video and audio. Other than that, it's much like the adventure games of the 80's and 90's.

It has fallen way, waaaay behind practically any other game development tool out there and I fail to understand why it's still being so heavily used.
I would say it is because it is geared toward "artists", and also because when you are writing you are close to the actual text, you don't need to constantly click or use lengthy synthax to write dialogues.
So the barrier of entry it quite low.

There is also the snowball of popularity. Here there is a ton of Ren'Py games, the UI is quite nice to use from the user point of view, players here are familiar with it. So when someone wants to create their own game they naturally fall into Ren'Py.

The files are well exposed for thirds parties shenanigans so compressed version exists as well as easy modding for popular games.

It is an ecosystem really.

Mephistofeles

Jul 9, 2017

Accesibility. Thats the key word. Easy to learn, and with enough tools to be usefull even for relative complex projects.

DavidCF

Aug 10, 2020
Typos

kara_play.rpy:1098: k "You did good. You took your punishment well Ms."
Should be p "You did good. You took your punishment well Ms."

yuki_play.rpy:1740: wet and rady -> wet and ready

harley_story.rpy:407: adress -> address

lola_gym.rpy:358: emply people -> employ people

sexshop_promotion_events.rpy:517: your the expression of -> your expression of

lola_play_events.rpy:1378: thining -> thinking
lola_play_events.rpy:1689: Entrance, -> Entranced,
lola_play_events.rpy:2305: adress -> address
lola_play_events.rpy:3350: madress -> mattress

DickLander69

Jan 3, 2019
After messing up Greg at Kara's house when I go there I get into an infinite loop saying "You arrive at Kara's house". What to do?

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Typos

-snip-
Thanks mate, you can be sure I'll fix those for the next version.

After messing up Greg at Kara's house when I go there I get into an infinite loop saying "You arrive at Kara's house". What to do?
Can't you just go elsewhere ?

I'm really glad that it *doesn't* have pregnancy. That would ruin the game for me...
I think you are the minority here.

But since we didn't go for the fast pregnancy option, I think you are safe for now.

bharmon025

Jan 3, 2021
I'm *really* enjoying this game a LOT. Can't wait for what is coming next!
Some feedback:
1. Great "girls design" - both from their "normal" body to the "updated one" :)
Also, kudos to the fact that the girls are all voluptuous and not skinny!
2. I *love* the use of lot of sex toys, especially butt plugs and bondage gear (harnesses, ball gags, collars, etc.). Really well done! Suggestion: Maybe introducing some chastity belts with double plugs! I think it would fit the narrative of most girls very well ;-)
3. Love the fact that even after reaching some of the endings, we can still return to saved games and keep playing
3. If I could ask for anything different (can I?) would be some different outfits, such as corsets with garter belts and stockings, harnesses, slutty dresses...

All in all, *really* good job.
OMG. A dual plug chastity belt would be freakin awesome! I can just imagine one of those in which you can remove the back plug and have butt sex with the device still on. AND a chastity belt makes a lot of sense in many of the story lines/girls, as a "reward"/punishment sex toy.

Also, I'm very much into back-laced corsets myself and I wouldn't mind to see some in the game either.

• Love
Reactions: JimmyJazz69

Wizzzz

Sep 9, 2017
Wow I just ended up here after finding a forgotten "DDGame" folder on my HDD. It was v0.14 and boy it was years ago. I really enjoy the no taboo mindset in this game but to be honest the quality of renders was already behind its time back then, especially the lack of any background.
Since this thread is actively followed by the dev, could you update me on the state of things? Were the renders remade at any point? If not, why? Not necessary in you opinion? Time? Hardware? And since you're currently porting the game to a new engine, does that mean anything for the existing renders?
And since you're bothering to port the game, I guess that mean you're still far from being done with it. Do you have the end of the game in mind or are you in a mindset of adding content as long as you enjoy developing this game?
That's a lot of questions :oops: I'm not asking for anything detailed, that's my bad for not keeping up with the news but any information will be appreciated :)

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Wow I just ended up here after finding a forgotten "DDGame" folder on my HDD. It was v0.14 and boy it was years ago. I really enjoy the no taboo mindset in this game but to be honest the quality of renders was already behind its time back then, especially the lack of any background.
Since this thread is actively followed by the dev, could you update me on the state of things? Were the renders remade at any point? If not, why? Not necessary in you opinion? Time? Hardware? And since you're currently porting the game to a new engine, does that mean anything for the existing renders?
And since you're bothering to port the game, I guess that mean you're still far from being done with it. Do you have the end of the game in mind or are you in a mindset of adding content as long as you enjoy developing this game?
That's a lot of questions :oops: I'm not asking for anything detailed, that's my bad for not keeping up with the news but any information will be appreciated :)
Hey, indeed the 0.14 is quite old. Before I got into the project, even, I think.

Personally, I like the no-background approach. I never felt it was needed and the location background was enough of a context to me. So even if I cannot speak for Jan, we are generally quite like minded.
And it's actually funny to see you consider the render subpar since it was the render qualities that made me like the game. Even more when we consider the blend between DAZ characters, their clothing and background, there is often a discrepancy between the elements that I consider ruins any quality.
And I'm talking about small time games, not the one that can support full-time artists with their crowdfunding.

I think that the reason Jan went for that is because at the time he started making the game he only had a GTX 560ti IIRC, I had to talk him into upgrading to a RTX2080 and that was certainly quite the change for him.
So given the VRAM limitations of such a dinosaur plus the rendering time, my guess would be that he started doing that because of limitations.

Anyway, the background-less style is still there, and I really thing it is a style as of now. There is quite a big of renders that got remade, generally early days one, early Kara's stage comes to mind. Some are still planned to be remade just because they are still in 4:3 and the images are cut ungracefully.

In short, the "art direction" is not going to change as it would take too much time Jan doesn't have.

So now about the port, we are very much on 2 extremes here. While Jan already is starved for time working on finishing the game, I am well able to rebuild all the logic (and even work on the engine as you read) from the ground up.

We want our game to be "finished" not "ended", meaning we do care about the quality of the end product.
We realized a while ago that for both of us the limiting factor in creation was time, not our ability to get interesting ideas given a setting. So we could go on with Deviant Discoveries for years and be nowhere near done with the settings.

I once as a joke, wrote the synopsis for continuing the game's story into the far future. Imagining the repercussions of the events of the game until humanity got serious about the colonization of the solar system.

The way we write events and mainly characters actions is based on the characters motivations, we don't try to fit to a narrative.
And that we can do in any settings.

So continuing Deviant Discoveries was possible but we could also work on any other game and have the same enjoyment.
By finishing DD we weren't going to waste anything.

As long as we finished it. We owed our character that much. And that is also something we are in tune together, we respect our characters.
And we are already working of the ending, this very version added a game ending as well as a character ending. Game endings are ending the main story, while character ending tie the characters arcs, ultimately we target a fallout style ending showing game ending then all the character ending chosen.

So why port the game that late in development then ?
Well as you read (I assume you did read the new year post), to finally allow for a proper Android version, that is a bid point. In the same vein to have finally a GUI that works flawlessly, and part away from the ever present interface bugs that I cannot without going crazy try to fix in Ren'Py.

But there is also a more "programmer minded" reason. When I started working on DD I never touched Ren'Py or even Python for that matters. I rewrote the game and still think I did a good job at it.
There is a saying in the programming world that is : There is always two people reading your code, there is you and there is you in the future.
I don't like that saying much. Even more because here even if I learned a lot since then and that my style evolved a lot too, I still have not issue reading and understanding my code and its structure.
But as I said my style changed, and I wouldn't do things that way now.

Still, it is not because of this that I want to rewrite the game.

If I want to rewrite the game it is because I now have an end goal. I know what feature I want and need and I don't need to "plan ahead" that is a very big trap for us programmers that lead us to do stupid stuff.

That goal is radically different from the one I had in mind when I started working with Jan. At the time my goal was to enable him to tell the story with more diverse means.
That is for example why I added a SMS system, it allows us to know the reactions of the characters after some sex scene. That benefitted immensely on how deep the characters felt.
But the days of experimenting are passed now (for this game I mean).

Now it is time to finish the game and to put it on a shelf in a state we can be proud of. Then start something new strong of our experiences earned.

cklaubur

Apr 2, 2018
Hey, indeed the 0.14 is quite old. Before I got into the project, even, I think.

Personally, I like the no-background approach. I never felt it was needed and the location background was enough of a context to me. So even if I cannot speak for Jan, we are generally quite like minded.
And it's actually funny to see you consider the render subpar since it was the render qualities that made me like the game. Even more when we consider the blend between DAZ characters, their clothing and background, there is often a discrepancy between the elements that I consider ruins any quality.
And I'm talking about small time games, not the one that can support full-time artists with their crowdfunding.

I think that the reason Jan went for that is because at the time he started making the game he only had a GTX 560ti IIRC, I had to talk him into upgrading to a RTX2080 and that was certainly quite the change for him.
So given the VRAM limitations of such a dinosaur plus the rendering time, my guess would be that he started doing that because of limitations.

Anyway, the background-less style is still there, and I really thing it is a style as of now. There is quite a big of renders that got remade, generally early days one, early Kara's stage comes to mind. Some are still planned to be remade just because they are still in 4:3 and the images are cut ungracefully.

In short, the "art direction" is not going to change as it would take too much time Jan doesn't have.

So now about the port, we are very much on 2 extremes here. While Jan already is starved for time working on finishing the game, I am well able to rebuild all the logic (and even work on the engine as you read) from the ground up.

We want our game to be "finished" not "ended", meaning we do care about the quality of the end product.
We realized a while ago that for both of us the limiting factor in creation was time, not our ability to get interesting ideas given a setting. So we could go on with Deviant Discoveries for years and be nowhere near done with the settings.

I once as a joke, wrote the synopsis for continuing the game's story into the far future. Imagining the repercussions of the events of the game until humanity got serious about the colonization of the solar system.

The way we write events and mainly characters actions is based on the characters motivations, we don't try to fit to a narrative.
And that we can do in any settings.

So continuing Deviant Discoveries was possible but we could also work on any other game and have the same enjoyment.
By finishing DD we weren't going to waste anything.

As long as we finished it. We owed our character that much. And that is also something we are in tune together, we respect our characters.
And we are already working of the ending, this very version added a game ending as well as a character ending. Game endings are ending the main story, while character ending tie the characters arcs, ultimately we target a fallout style ending showing game ending then all the character ending chosen.

So why port the game that late in development then ?
Well as you read (I assume you did read the new year post), to finally allow for a proper Android version, that is a bid point. In the same vein to have finally a GUI that works flawlessly, and part away from the ever present interface bugs that I cannot without going crazy try to fix in Ren'Py.

But there is also a more "programmer minded" reason. When I started working on DD I never touched Ren'Py or even Python for that matters. I rewrote the game and still think I did a good job at it.
There is a saying in the programming world that is : There is always two people reading your code, there is you and there is you in the future.
I don't like that saying much. Even more because here even if I learned a lot since then and that my style evolved a lot too, I still have not issue reading and understanding my code and its structure.
But as I said my style changed, and I wouldn't do things that way now.

Still, it is not because of this that I want to rewrite the game.

If I want to rewrite the game it is because I now have an end goal. I know what feature I want and need and I don't need to "plan ahead" that is a very big trap for us programmers that lead us to do stupid stuff.

That goal is radically different from the one I had in mind when I started working with Jan. At the time my goal was to enable him to tell the story with more diverse means.
That is for example why I added a SMS system, it allows us to know the reactions of the characters after some sex scene. That benefitted immensely on how deep the characters felt.
But the days of experimenting are passed now (for this game I mean).

Now it is time to finish the game and to put it on a shelf in a state we can be proud of. Then start something new strong of our experiences earned.
If you need a Mac tester for the port to the new engine, I volunteer.

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
I'm really glad that it *doesn't* have pregnancy. That would ruin the game for me...
That is also a turn-off for me, I'm afraid... But, hey, you can't satisfy everyone at the same time, of course!
To what extent ?

I mean, is it any kind of depiction of pregnant women that you would consider "having pregnancy" ?

Would you consider negatively having a simple character ending with a girl being pregnant (spoilers, Lola will have one of her route with that ending) ?

Maybe your bar is at a few scenes like Harley's park content and the ending following ?

Or is it indulging into the fetish on a character specific basis like Yuki's petplay content that started with light on her early stages to ramp up ?

Or it be full game-wide fetish like for BDSM is for this game ?

If you need a Mac tester for the port to the new engine, I volunteer.
Noted.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 58 Votes