RPGM Dianthus - The Mark of Lust [v0.7] [Dedan-1]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
Is there a way to beat the giant in the room with the switch? The fire that blocks the exit makes me think there must be a way but I'm not allowed to use the switch and knife/gun seems to do nothing to it.

Edit: Figured it out, you have to shoot the thing 10 times before the game will let you use the lever to kill it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabaw

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
Hello everyone, firstly I want to say thank you to anyone who tried the game out. Also I apologize for any bugs some of you may have run into, I tried ironing out as many bugs as I could find but I'm sure I missed a few.

With that said...

Love the vibe this game has, hopefully it get more art.

If you haven't figured out already, you need to use the report tool on the OP, that way mods see it faster.
I currently have around 9 scenes I'm sitting on at the moment because trying to get them into RPGM without them getting cut off is more trouble than I thought. I'm currently working on getting half of them working properly to I can add them in the next build.

And yeah, I realized that about three days after.

Jumpscares unavoidable?
No, but there are no sudden images that pop up. It's just a few sudden sprites popping in with loud noise.

Yeeeeeah, naaaw. No thanks. Boring and buggy game and i don't like the art at all, but good luck.

Also my character bugged and stayed looking up/north all the time.
Well, thanks for giving it a try anyway. The art won't be everyone's cup of tea I know.
You could of hit the key that makes your character stay facing one direction, It's the E or T key I believe ( I don't have the game up in front of me at this time. ). That move is important for future builds where you'll be in more cramped areas and need to be facing a direction ahead of time instead of taking a step forward to change the direction.

are the scenes animated?
The three scenes currently in the game are but not all scenes in future builds will be animated.

Is there a way to beat the giant in the room with the switch? The fire that blocks the exit makes me think there must be a way but I'm not allowed to use the switch and knife/gun seems to do nothing to it.

Edit: Figured it out, you have to shoot the thing 10 times before the game will let you use the lever to kill it.
That's the first major boss encounter. You have to break it's armor first ( takes about 10 shots ) and then lure it over the pit and drop him it. Seems like you figured it out though, I'll look through that scene again and make it more clear on what you're suppose to do.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
if anyone getting stuck its cause u picked finding the cat girl ;3
It's under the kitchen table the first time, and under the bed the second time, iirc. Wished the bosses didn't one-shot you because they touched you for half a second.

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
It's under the kitchen table the first time, and under the bed the second time, iirc. Wished the bosses didn't one-shot you because they touched you for half a second.
Which boss is giving you trouble? I checked them for bugs and the only one that can kill you like that is the second major boss but It's a specific attack where it will chase you and deal 70 damage per frame, you're suppose to run away from it for a bit and after some odd seconds it will go back to normal speed.

well that part bugged out for me so there was nobody to find :3
Which part bugged out? The first time or second time?

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Which boss is giving you trouble? I checked them for bugs and the only one that can kill you like that is the second major boss but It's a specific attack where it will chase you and deal 70 damage per frame, you're suppose to run away from it for a bit and after some odd seconds it will go back to normal speed.

Which part bugged out? The first time or second time?
I had trouble with both slime forms. The problem is that when you shoot, you stand still. You don't get a lot of breathing room to aim and shoot when your enemy can close the distance of a pistol's shot in half a second. If I remember right, the shotgun's range is even smaller. You don't take damage while you're in animation, but that doesn't stop the slimes from taking free hits on you when you can move again. The second boss is particularly unfair because there's no obvious cue for when it's about to run at you. If you were trying to turn around to blast it with a shotgun, you might get surprised and instantly die because of the aforementioned lower range. The rifle trivializes the fight, but the bullets for it at that point are few and very expensive.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Also, is it actually possible to mix herbs in the game at the moment? Like the game tells me that combining them makes them stronger, but I can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be done.

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
I had trouble with both slime forms. The problem is that when you shoot, you stand still. You don't get a lot of breathing room to aim and shoot when your enemy can close the distance of a pistol's shot in half a second. If I remember right, the shotgun's range is even smaller. You don't take damage while you're in animation, but that doesn't stop the slimes from taking free hits on you when you can move again. The second boss is particularly unfair because there's no obvious cue for when it's about to run at you. If you were trying to turn around to blast it with a shotgun, you might get surprised and instantly die because of the aforementioned lower range. The rifle trivializes the fight, but the bullets for it at that point are few and very expensive.

It sounds like I haven't explained some moves very well, also sounds like the second boss is a bit overtuned. I will make a note of that.

So for the first boss, it has two forms. The suit of armor then the slime. The suit of armor can be one shot by a point blank shotgun shot, the slime form or the second form you can't damage at all. You can only lure it over the lava pit and dump it in once it's over it. If it wasn't obvious I'll look back and try to explain it a bit better.

As for the second boss, like I stated above I was a bit worried when I made it that he would be overtuned and people wouldn't have 1100 HP like I had when I fought him. ( You can buy yellow tonics and find them hidden around in certain areas, each one increases HP by 100. )

There is a cue for him when he's about to charge, you'll hear a bubbling poison sound effect, but it plays as he's charging so I'll make a slight delay in hearing the noise and him actually charging. This fight also has three phases, for the first two phases I'd recommend using the shotgun + pistol combo since his first two forms do very little damage compared to the final form. The final form is what you want to save the rifle for, as the rifle pushes the enemy back two spaces when it hits them.

There is also one ability you have that I don't think I explained very well. If you hit the R key, you'll take three spaces back ( I'll eventually make an animation where you actually jump back ) and while you're taking those three steps back you become invulnerable and can clip through enemy projectiles.

Also, is it actually possible to mix herbs in the game at the moment? Like the game tells me that combining them makes them stronger, but I can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be done.
Yeah you can, go into your inventory and when you use it you'll get an option to mix it with another tonic. If you have the tonic you get a new one. So if you mix a red and blue you'll get the R + B tonic etc like RE.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
It sounds like I haven't explained some moves very well, also sounds like the second boss is a bit overtuned. I will make a note of that.

So for the first boss, it has two forms. The suit of armor then the slime. The suit of armor can be one shot by a point blank shotgun shot, the slime form or the second form you can't damage at all. You can only lure it over the lava pit and dump it in once it's over it. If it wasn't obvious I'll look back and try to explain it a bit better.

As for the second boss, like I stated above I was a bit worried when I made it that he would be overtuned and people wouldn't have 1100 HP like I had when I fought him. ( You can buy yellow tonics and find them hidden around in certain areas, each one increases HP by 100. )

There is a cue for him when he's about to charge, you'll hear a bubbling poison sound effect, but it plays as he's charging so I'll make a slight delay in hearing the noise and him actually charging. This fight also has three phases, for the first two phases I'd recommend using the shotgun + pistol combo since his first two forms do very little damage compared to the final form. The final form is what you want to save the rifle for, as the rifle pushes the enemy back two spaces when it hits them.

There is also one ability you have that I don't think I explained very well. If you hit the R key, you'll take three spaces back ( I'll eventually make an animation where you actually jump back ) and while you're taking those three steps back you become invulnerable and can clip through enemy projectiles.

Yeah you can, go into your inventory and when you use it you'll get an option to mix it with another tonic. If you have the tonic you get a new one. So if you mix a red and blue you'll get the R + B tonic etc like RE.
I didn't really have issues with the first form of both bosses. The first boss, for some reasons, lost interest in me when I ran all the way right trying to read the note (in case there were hints on how to beat it). I took a few pot shots at it while it wandered aimlessly. As for the confusing with the first boss, I think I was under the impression that you had to shoot it enough times before it was weak enough to be finished off. I realized that wasn't the case on my 2nd or 3rd attempt, but I still felt cheated when I briefly touched it and died.

As for the second boss, the noise definitely comes too late. If you're shooting or dodging right before he charges, you're basically guaranteed to be hit. The pistol by itself is good enough for the first couple forms, but you're pretty screwed if you didn't find or use the rifle. But like I said, the rifle trivializes the fight. You can basically ignore the slime's mechanics completely if you shoot it with the rifle. Which kinda sucks, because the alternative is a prolonged fight where you're almost guaranteed to die if you get unlucky with your timing once or twice.

I also tried to dodge with the R key, but couldn't really justify making use of it. It's a bit too slow, in my opinion. It doesn't seem to help when using melee and faster enemies, like that oddly tough construction worker, will easily close the distance. I tried spamming the R key when an enemy got too close while I was shooting, but again, they simply close the gap and continue to damage me. I guess I'll check out the tonics on the next update. I didn't invest in the yellow ones because the bosses hit too hard and, aside from the fast dude in the hard hat, the regular enemies aren't much of a threat. I wouldn't see a noticeable benefit until I buy a significant amount.

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
I didn't really have issues with the first form of both bosses. The first boss, for some reasons, lost interest in me when I ran all the way right trying to read the note (in case there were hints on how to beat it). I took a few pot shots at it while it wandered aimlessly. As for the confusing with the first boss, I think I was under the impression that you had to shoot it enough times before it was weak enough to be finished off. I realized that wasn't the case on my 2nd or 3rd attempt, but I still felt cheated when I briefly touched it and died.

As for the second boss, the noise definitely comes too late. If you're shooting or dodging right before he charges, you're basically guaranteed to be hit. The pistol by itself is good enough for the first couple forms, but you're pretty screwed if you didn't find or use the rifle. But like I said, the rifle trivializes the fight. You can basically ignore the slime's mechanics completely if you shoot it with the rifle. Which kinda sucks, because the alternative is a prolonged fight where you're almost guaranteed to die if you get unlucky with your timing once or twice.

I also tried to dodge with the R key, but couldn't really justify making use of it. It's a bit too slow, in my opinion. It doesn't seem to help when using melee and faster enemies, like that oddly tough construction worker, will easily close the distance. I tried spamming the R key when an enemy got too close while I was shooting, but again, they simply close the gap and continue to damage me. I guess I'll check out the tonics on the next update. I didn't invest in the yellow ones because the bosses hit too hard and, aside from the fast dude in the hard hat, the regular enemies aren't much of a threat. I wouldn't see a noticeable benefit until I buy a significant amount.
Hmm... I'll have to test the first boss and see if I can replicate that. With how he is programmed right now he should take a few steps back after hitting you, but something might not be working.

You actually can't go upstairs without the rifle and you need to go upstairs to start the encounter so you'll always have the rifle when fighting it.

I have a few ideas for the second boss. I won't spoil anything but it should be a far better encounter next update.

The R dodge is a simple fix, I can make it's movement faster. That construction worker is an optional mid boss of sorts. You don't have to kill him but if you do you'll get a few hundred bucks and some ammo.

I tried to keep the regular enemies rather simple for the first area, with the exception of the knights in the mansion. There is no buffer for when they hit you, they'll deal damage per frame instead of per hit and they don't back away. But they are very slow and easy to blindside.

The biggest issue with damage is I'm the only one testing the game so I base it on how many times I get hit which was usually never. I'll go through and change some values again and see how it plays.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Ferghus

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hmm... I'll have to test the first boss and see if I can replicate that. With how he is programmed right now he should take a few steps back after hitting you, but something might not be working.

You actually can't go upstairs without the rifle and you need to go upstairs to start the encounter so you'll always have the rifle when fighting it.

I have a few ideas for the second boss. I won't spoil anything but it should be a far better encounter next update.

The R dodge is a simple fix, I can make it's movement faster. That construction worker is an optional mid boss of sorts. You don't have to kill him but if you do you'll get a few hundred bucks and some ammo.

I tried to keep the regular enemies rather simple for the first area, with the exception of the knights in the mansion. There is no buffer for when they hit you, they'll deal damage per frame instead of per hit and they don't back away. But they are very slow and easy to blindside.

The biggest issue with damage is I'm the only one testing the game so I base it on how many times I get hit which was usually never. I'll go through and change some values again and see how it plays.
Sounds good. I don't know how you do it with the second boss's final form. When it sprints, it's about as fast as you are sprinting. If it's right on your ass, you're bound to get hit if you turn too wide or run into a wall by accident.

csaja

Jul 11, 2017
just that I could never find the cat girl no matter what I clicked or where I clicked after that whole game bugged out char still thinks he is searching for cat girl so it just hangs

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
just that I could never find the cat girl no matter what I clicked or where I clicked after that whole game bugged out char still thinks he is searching for cat girl so it just hangs
I'm still a bit confused on where the bug took place but I went through both scenarios and found one bug where if you don't find her some events won't load but there's nothing stopping you from checking back and finding her so I'm not sure what happened.

You can find her under the table in the kitchen, the left half of the table. Or if it's the second time looking for her, go into the bathroom and check out the shower. A scene will play then go check out the couch, she will be there.

If it still doesn't work I'll have to check them again to make sure it's all working properly.

Dedan-1

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2018
4.0 is out, no idea how to submit the ticket for link to updated:
I'm working on the second big update, it won't include any new areas but it will have three new scenes so I would hold off on any updates. Also the version 0.4.0 is the version without any adult content.

Oh wow, i thought it was abandoned.
No, I work retail and the holidays took more out of me than I thought. I've been chipping away at it slowly and steadily.

fasteddie

Aug 19, 2016
Dianthus-TheMarkOfDeath-0.4
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Need help or have questions? Let us know here, or join us on !
, . Peer issues? Look here.​

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes