VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
Still a snoozefest for me.
I play these games for the smut, maybe sometimes a good dating-sim, I don't want to read War and Peace with some light adult content.
Was promising when it started, so long ago, now it just seems to drag on forever and a half.

iainmore

Jun 12, 2017
Gumdrop Games is well named as this one gets my gums dropping at my own stupidity in playing it. Well I doubt I will have any teeth left by the time anything happens. It reminds me of how tedious "Something Happened" was. At least Heller wrote Catch 22 but Something Happened should have been shredded before it was ever published. Meow!

Reactions: compaq and botc76

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I would like to think at least that no one here is deluding themselves into thinking this is some sort of masterpiece. I certainly am not but I can find some enjoyment in the fact that the characters all seem to have something more to them and their decision making rather than the usual "I want to fuck that, how can I make it happen in the least amount of time?" that we are normally fed in these adult games. It's far from flawless though. The merry go round of thoughts on the moral dilemma of committing incest has worn out it's welcome at this point by a long way. The usual flaw in these games of characters seemingly making baffling decisions to help move the plot forward reared its head again this update for me.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall though I think how much enjoyment you take from this game comes down to the mindset you approach it with. If people are going into this game expecting a Milfy City non-stop incest roller coaster, well to quote the ski instructor from South Park "you're gonna have a bad time".

I play many games here, were there's a slow burn to sex, I like it when the story is done well.
The problem is, the story here isn't done well.
Hell, I've played Japanese Visual Novels like Little Busters were there wasn't any sex at all, but the story was good and there were hilarious jokes that found me loling in front of my screen.
The missing h isn't the problem I have with this game.

Look at games here like Our Fate or Life with Mary, no sex with the main girl at all and I love both of them.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Having now played both routes I feel I've gotten a decent understanding of what Karen was attempting to accomplish. I won't pretend to know exactly what Karen wants with the Father going forward as I'm not even certain she knows at this point.

It was interesting and while it didn't seem to go according to plan for Karen (We don't know exactly whether the Daughter saw M/S in bed together before she returned to her room) we'll have to see whether it has any other consequences down the line. I will say though it has made it even less likely going forward that I'll want to have anything to do with Karen in either route. The game is a refreshing change of pace as there are plenty of meet and fuck games about. Better not be 3 months until the next update though...
Do you have one walkthrough this?
@Lucius Logan
There is a walkthrough up to including Part 8 somewhere in the thread, the new one is still not available.

@Siddington
Until now I had not the time to play the new Son routes, but I go by your experiences. As I wrote in one of my posts, Karen is really a piece of work, but what she tells the son in the evening according to your post is bull, no matter if she herself believes it. Why, please read further.
The cousin would like to have the Dad for herself (like her mom, the aunt) in some way, even if she does not really know why and if she is sober quite observant. Karen is the first to tell the Dad that he is lovestruck and has the hots for his daughter (in the last segment of the new stuff). If you are at least somewhat kind to her, she tells the MC about her plan that the daughter should have seen "her arrangement", not him.

If the Cousin is halfway as observant as gumdrop tries to paint her here, than she must have seen that the daughter is a total Daddy´s Girl and her relations with both Son and Mom are not the best, if more cordial than the Dad´s. And here is the point where the stuff Karen told the Son unravels. If the Daughter would have seen (or maybe even saw, we do not get to know it yet) Karen´s "arrangement", then yeah she might be appalled and angry for sure, but considering her relationship with her Dad she is more likely to think "those two cannot tell me anything anymore" and "I am the better choice for Dad". (look up social triangulation, Elektra Complex in parts and parentification, this is not so rare a path in consensual incest cases in real life, having studied social sciences comes in handy sometimes :))

In this update gumdrop paints a picture of Karen´s plans which do not really fit. On one hand she is observant enough to see that something is going in her cousins family, on the other hand she seems to miss that her cousin, the Daughter, has a wilder side and is very tight with her Dad. Then again, the way Karen tells the MC that his daughter will never give him "that", is more a denial to herself than him.

One thing is sure so, gumdrop for all his flaws, presses strongly on the drama tube. We´ll see what will come out of it. But personally I would like more stuff and development among the "main 4" than this much unneeded side drama.

Reactions: Paranoid_android

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
What a freaking disaster. It's actually worse than Cohabitation now.
The story per se has a lot of potential, but you feel the drawing out everything done by gumdrop many, many times. In parts it is quite the "snoozefest", as another user pointed out. The update is not really worth the long wait, but then again gumdrop is milking it with an industrial strength machine, so he cannot present a tight, coherent and fun game, it would be over "too fast".
By the way, what is Cohabitation like, since you are not a friend of that game as well?

Reactions: Zippity

eole71

Nov 13, 2016
So is the only good scene from that girl "Maddy" or what else is there??? didn't bother trying the Father Role.

theluc

Jun 25, 2017
hahahahaha, sorry guys, I wrote already to not expect anything.. and its exactly what he delivered. I did Unren it to see the CGs it had, my I had a good laugh. For those who like the game stop wasting your precious free time and grab Lolita from Vladimir Nabokov or if too lazy to read just watch Savage Grace.

Siddington

Sep 11, 2017
@Lucius Logan
There is a walkthrough up to including Part 8 somewhere in the thread, the new one is still not available.

@Siddington
Until now I had not the time to play the new Son routes, but I go by your experiences. As I wrote in one of my posts, Karen is really a piece of work, but what she tells the son in the evening according to your post is bull, no matter if she herself believes it. Why, please read further.
The cousin would like to have the Dad for herself (like her mom, the aunt) in some way, even if she does not really know why and if she is sober quite observant. Karen is the first to tell the Dad that he is lovestruck and has the hots for his daughter (in the last segment of the new stuff). If you are at least somewhat kind to her, she tells the MC about her plan that the daughter should have seen "her arrangement", not him.

If the Cousin is halfway as observant as gumdrop tries to paint her here, than she must have seen that the daughter is a total Daddy´s Girl and her relations with both Son and Mom are not the best, if more cordial than the Dad´s. And here is the point where the stuff Karen told the Son unravels. If the Daughter would have seen (or maybe even saw, we do not get to know it yet) Karen´s "arrangement", then yeah she might be appalled and angry for sure, but considering her relationship with her Dad she is more likely to think "those two cannot tell me anything anymore" and "I am the better choice for Dad". (look up social triangulation, Elektra Complex in parts and parentification, this is not so rare a path in consensual incest cases in real life, having studied social sciences comes in handy sometimes :))

In this update gumdrop paints a picture of Karen´s plans which do not really fit. On one hand she is observant enough to see that something is going in her cousins family, on the other hand she seems to miss that her cousin, the Daughter, has a wilder side and is very tight with her Dad. Then again, the way Karen tells the MC that his daughter will never give him "that", is more a denial to herself than him.

One thing is sure so, gumdrop for all his flaws, presses strongly on the drama tube. We´ll see what will come out of it. But personally I would like more stuff and development among the "main 4" than this much unneeded side drama.
Oh believe me I'm not suggesting that Karen's plan isn't flawed to all hell and back. She clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer otherwise I doubt she would be in the state she often finds herself. She wants the Father either just sexually or for something more and she was desperately jealous of what she saw on the couch with F/D cuddling. She also has a general dislike of the Daughter due to her previous perceived belittling of Karen at school, as is discussed with the Son in his route.

In the conversation with the Son on his bed she is clearly thinking out loud when presented with the opportunity to instigate something. She uses it in the hopes that she can drive a wedge between F and D. Her plan hinges on the fact that she reasonably expects the Daughter to be repulsed by the idea of incest but as you said, she should reason that it mite not go down that way, especially in the light of her own incestuous feelings towards the Father. The Daughter is clearly enamored by her Father and it was fairly obvious to Karen. D mite have seen M/S naked in his bed and it blown away any reservations she had regarding pursuing her Father romantically. She may have thought "If they can do it, why am I holding back on my feelings?" Karen's plan was flawed but what should we expect from a flawed person.

Thatguy007

Jul 20, 2017
What is the maximum score on the route with the son/brother with each girl so far?

what I got was this, I do not know if my choices were right or wrong!
if someone has a complete walkthough up to that version 0.98 and can share it thanks!
I got to 6 bars with the mom on the son route, but I am not sure about the others.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
You should probably hide it in a spoiler @Alex Bukr . But that's true that T4bbo is rather contrasting with Gum - very reliable and communicative with huge updates (mostly) and plans. You can easily communicate with him or his staff in his thread. But Gum from what I've seen on a discord is also a nice guy that's really deep into his story. He has huge troubles with his professional attitude but we can only hope he'll improve at some point.

Siddington

Sep 11, 2017
I play many games here, were there's a slow burn to sex, I like it when the story is done well.
The problem is, the story here isn't done well.
Hell, I've played Japanese Visual Novels like Little Busters were there wasn't any sex at all, but the story was good and there were hilarious jokes that found me loling in front of my screen.
The missing h isn't the problem I have with this game.

Look at games here like Our Fate or Life with Mary, no sex with the main girl at all and I love both of them.
I won't necessarily agree that the story presented here "isn't done well" but I'll say that it is far from perfect. It can be frustrating and the retreading of old ground "woe is me, my incestuous feelings will be the destruction of my family" has grown tiresome at best. I would say that hopefully that vicious cycle will come to an end in the next update...it had better anyway!

I have never played Little Busters but I have also played many Japanese Visual Novels that have hit the 30+ hour mark before sexual content of any note has appeared. They are generally a completely different beast though. Built around comedic characters in Japanese High School environment, so I would say it's a tad harsh to compare the two things. They are often full of heavily cliched characters and nonsensical or very far fetched plots. Hoshizora No Memoria and Grisaia No Kajitsu are by far my favourite VN's and are full of moments that will make you laugh your ass off one minute then be crying into your breakfast cereal the next, but both have utterly ridiculous plots, characters and decision making. Dual Family set its boat out fairly early in the sense that it would be a vaguely realistic, moody and dark themed VN. While I feel the characters could of been given more wiggle room regarding their moods and conversations (depressed and moody) I hope we're past the worst of it. It's flawed and I can understand anyone who can't stomach the story. It's definitely an oddity in a sea of games full of sex but it's hopefully just about to hit it's stride story wise. That is if the dev doesn't up and leave for the Bahamas before the next update. Who knows, as he is seemingly mainly reliable in his unreliability. Yes I know how stupid that sounds ;)

Thatguy007

Jul 20, 2017
You can Share with me your choices?
Sure thing. Most of the points I gathered were early on and these were the choices: hug, knock, be polite, mom, let go, complement, refrain, go back to sleep. At this point, it doesn't seem like any of your choices matter until the latest act. I got to 4 bars and then at the start of this latest act the last two were added. Anyways, in the latest act you hug her while on the bed and face her instead of touching her bottom. Then while dancing with her you offer love instead of giving compassion. Oh, also don't go to the party at the beginning 'cause I think you lose a point there, possibly. The easiest way to tell if your choices change anything is by immediately checking the relationship panel after choices. Generally, your choices immediately add or take away a point.

Led

Jul 16, 2017
And the oscar, for milking the game, goes to...
I can't believe how the developer keeps milking the game.
He also keeps denying choices the player would want to make, either by not giving choices or giving suggestive choices that actually lead to nothing, after all, in contradiction to what the player would expect to happen after picking that particular choice.

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes