VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
I'm not abandoning the ship yet too..
but I'm not super happy about how he's handling this.

Someone suggested on Patreon that he should have released the uncompressed version yesterday.
I agree.
Yeah, i agree with that too. It's not like this is huge problem. He just needed to finally release it in some way, and then solving and fixing stuff. Some devs do that.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
But yeah, the is legit zero chance this game ever makes it anywhere near a 1.0 release.

Writing is kind of on the wall, I've seen it way too many times with big and small time developers in early access games, once they start talking like that project abandonment usually happens a month or two later tops.

It is a good game and all, but yeah don't get yur hopes up for it ever being actually finished.

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
he lost release date and people got mad? look at some other dev who dont give a shit about their updates for months and people still pledge, wtf.

give this man a day ffs
Exactly. I know many devs like that. They never announce any exact dates, just producing updates in 2-3 or even half of the year or more. And people know that, still pledging and patiently waiting for release.

This situation with patrons leaving, as many people said, is normal for the beginning of each month.

May 31, 2017
No he said "This puts the east coast as of this message at 8:24PM." so he made a typo, but you're right about the time zone.
i fixed my typo within a pretty reasonable timeframe. If you read the rest of my post, you could easily conclude i meant west coast. Thought i was gonna get away with the mistake too! hah.

idontu

Sep 17, 2016
As someone who is fluent in the art of procrastination, I don't see why anyone would support this for now. He clearly pushed off actually working on this until the last possible moment, and it came to bite him in the ass. What does he do instead of fixing the problem? Writes an entire page of text while he is pondering what his next course of action is. . .

Not to mention this whole remastering shit while your project isn't even close to being finished.

Reactions: Pyjak Slayer

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
As someone who is fluent in the art of procrastination, I don't see why anyone would support this for now. He clearly pushed off actually working on this until the last possible moment, and it came to bite him in the ass. What does he do instead of fixing the problem? Writes an entire page of text while he is pondering what his next course of action is. . .

Not to mention this whole remastering shit while your project isn't even close to being finished.
Yeah it is pretty much a semi common type thing that seems to be done with a lot of "real games" in early access when it is obvious the developer is floundering and/or just burnt out, I've seen plenty of steam games pull the remaster ruote out of nowhere(that doesn't actually really change shit other than buying more time in hopes of not getting called out on lack of updates) and 9 times out of 10 project is essentially abandoned not too long after.

Now I'm not saying people should be all "fuck this guy gimmie mah moniez back!" because it is actually pretty good for what it is so far, but...yeah don't be fully surprised if he just disappears in a month or two.

fredoo04

Jun 22, 2017
Let's hope he stays and organizes himself better in the future.. now let's wait for today's release.
Hope he expanded the story even more!

Glaoui

Donor
Apr 8, 2017
he lost release date and people got mad? look at some other dev who dont give a shit about their updates for months and people still pledge, wtf.

give this man a day ffs
Nah. People are leaving because instead of going forward with more content he decided to redo most of the pictures of the game. He did that even if people were telling him than all was fine and good and they favored more content.
On top of that, he decided those last hours to do so some PR for the arrival of the new version, posting a lot of messages to say than all was good, and incoming. And suddenly, nothing but excuses.
Again.

May 31, 2017
Someone suggested on Patreon that he should have released the uncompressed version yesterday.
I agree.
My thoughta exactly. release to higher tier patreons with a "Dual Family-HD" version. In a few days when you release to lower level tiers, you have time to compress images and deliver "Dual Family" or "Dual Family-SD". Gives him many hours extra for compression, while creating amothwr reason for patreons to subscribe in a higher tier, all with the same amount of work, but in more time to do it.

He clearly pushed off actually working on this until the last possible moment, and it came to bite him in the ass.
Not sure how you came to this conclusion
Do you have spy cameras in his house? Or maybe did he create a website where we can watch him work on the game? Try to be more objective, otherwise you come off looking like a complete ass.

While you're contemplating a response, consider this: if it takes a month to develop content, and he has 5 versions worth of content to remaster...

how many renders could a renderer render, if a renderer could render renders?

idontu

Sep 17, 2016
Not sure how you came to this conclusion
When someone is promising you a release time, and is still promising that release time within hours of it ending, and that time has passed by over 12 hours, you know they were just trying to throw shit together at the last minute. When he realized that plan wouldn't work, he had to write a page-long excuse.

While you're contemplating a response, consider this: if it takes a month to develop content, and he has 5 versions worth of content to remaster...

how many renders could a renderer render, if a renderer could render renders?
Here's the simple answer: don't re-render a game that has about 30-45 minutes worth of content.

StoneWall

May 20, 2017
I think he decided to do a bit too much within a month's time. To not only "remaster" but add another update on top would be quite a bit of work. It would have been amazing if he had pulled it off but I'm not surprised he didn't. As many people have mentioned, the touch ups to previous images wasn't really necessary atm. More suited for end game updates but to each their own. He seems to be fairly inexperienced when it comes to time estimation. Hopefully he learns from this.

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes