VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes

Siddington

Sep 11, 2017
Your Captain, asking the important questions in the Gumdrops Discord:

As a noble space Captain, @GumdropGames I only have one real question...What on Earth possessed you to even consider this development cycle? You've admitted it's a terrible business strategy (especially on patreon), it's not only alienated the vast majority of your audience, but it has also even been (As admitted by yourself) financially damaging for you. Why exactly do you not want to update every 2-3 months like the vast majority of other top indie developers? Do you not feel you can tell the same level of story? Why not? If you're willing to believe your audience is willing to wait a whole year for your magnum opus, surely you would be willing to believe your audience could enjoy a slowly burning tale, ramped up with each update, allowing the audience to anticipate and discuss their theories on what will come next. (That is some of the most entertaining stuff, second only to the actual release). Most of the anger has long died down, my own frustrations with the game I voiced a long longgggggg time ago have cooled, at this point, most are simply left observing out of morbid curiosity. There's no real discussions on where we think the game is going beyond the vague 'well eventually get to bang the Mom' or, 'you'll eventually get to bang the daughter.' Isn't that the opposite of what you want? As I understand it, you want to tell a rich, deep, realistic story. Frankly, I think if you had occupied a traditional strategy, you could probably be one of the most popular developers, I was certainly taken aback when I first saw your work. I truly cannot see a single valid reason behind why you want to operate this kind of dev cycle, it's probably beyond stressful for yourself, it's crippling for actually holding audience interest, and you're more than capable (as shown), that you can tell the story at a slower pace with no loss of quality anyway. Put this old sea dog out of his misery, make sense of this madness.

View attachment 231796
Will I get a reply? Wait and see!
I'd like to think I played my part in asking some tough questions also. The whole situation does neither himself or the game any favours. It has bred a general apathy for this game almost everywhere is see it. Which is totally unfair considering what I feel is a cracking deep dive into the incest genre. Oh Captain, my Captain, maybe one day our fateful trip will be done. The ship is creaking at the seems but is the prize we seek just a mirage?

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
The first reply is in: (I will keep usernames out)

he wants this update to be epic and he keeps adding more stuff to make it epic that's y the wait

And frankly I rather wait 1 year for an amazing update like this one than DMD

Your Captain:
'He wants the update to be epic' That's fine, there is nothing wrong with wanting to produce extremely high quality content. there is also a realistic line between what you can deliver, and what the audiences will receive. Frankly at this point, there is absolutely no way, no matter how 'epic' the update is, that it will ever be able to match the expectation, unless you're Rockstar games or CDprojekt Red, peoples expectations on a one man developer are much lower, and they should be. It would be crazy to expect that kind of industrial output, so why do it to begin with? That's why people are more forgiving for smaller updates, when you promise 'more and more and MOARRRR' that's when people start seeing the Icarus-syndrome kicking in, and realize there is no way even the greatest dev in the world could hope to match the ever growing expectation.

captain of space ship.jpg

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
I'd like to think I played my part in asking some tough questions also. The whole situation does neither himself or the game any favours. It has bred a general apathy for this game almost everywhere is see it. Which is totally unfair considering what I feel is a cracking deep dive into the incest genre. Oh Captain, my Captain, maybe one day our fateful trip will be done. The ship is creaking at the seems but is the prize we seek just a mirage?[/QUOTE

The Fyre Festival of F95Zone.

If anything good has come from the game, it's a good bonding experience for this community. Lol, every single division of fan sees this game as a F95 meme at this point, or a strange social experiment.

Even the mods don't know what to do with it, like a wayward child that's returned home with 10,000 dollars worth of gambling debt after swearing he'd make it rich.
captain of space ship.jpg

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Many is upset over why things take so long time, critical to the writing, story and what not. Creators fall between many chairs, artists, writers, musicians, etc. Some perfectionists in their own head, not necessary considered by others, but what others see a creator as doesn't really matter.

How many games on this site have half arsed story with hardly two coherent sentences strung together? With shorter dev cycles story content could suffer as well. Imho the best scenario is where the creator already got the story written and completed. Not jus the idea of the story. Tbh I don't think that happen very often. We seen games head of with a flying start and then halt and catch fire.

Some people could spend a lifetime writing on a book for it never to be published. Or paint a picture that would never be shared with the public. Any GOT fan's here? Put "George R.R Martin" under verbal siege for not finish the next book yet? Creators with some regard for themselves release things when they feel happy about their piece. regardless of what it is.

The whole milking it, is rather pointless. As he pointed out himself, he could made so much more with shorter dev cycles. Whatever he does he do for his own sake, not yours. Patreon is a platform where you support the creator, you don't subscribe to a service or buy a product.

This probably where someone want to stab me with a fork and yell fanboy, but truth is, I don't really care if things take time, or if things get released at all. Slightly disappointed maybe.. Hey, how about that next episode of "Half Life"?, yeah....about that :p

Reactions: LazyName

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
The Fyre Festival of F95Zone.

If anything good has come from the game, it's a good bonding experience for this community. Lol, every single division of fan sees this game as a F95 meme at this point, or a strange social experiment.

Even the mods don't know what to do with it, like a wayward child that's returned home with 10,000 dollars worth of gambling debt after swearing he'd make it rich.
View attachment 231810

The Fyre Festival? Really. He invited you to an island where you ended up re-enact some weird mix of lord of the flies and hunger games? :p Although the clash of some people in regard of this game make the hunger game seems like kindergarten :p

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
The Fyre Festival? Really. He invited you to an island where you ended up re-enact some weird mix of lord of the flies and hunger games? :p Although the clash of some people in regard of this game make the hunger game seems like kindergarten :p
Ahh you're right. It's more like Dashcon. I just like using hyperbole.

How many games on this site have half arsed story with hardly two coherent sentences strung together? With shorter dev cycles story content could suffer as well. Imho the best scenario is where the creator already got the story written and completed. Not jus the idea of the story. Tbh I don't think that happen very often. We seen games head of with a flying start and then halt and catch fire.
Whether the story is pre-written is up to the decision of the creator. What's given you the impression Gumdrops knows where the story is going? My theory is it ends with us leaving to Switzerland, depressed and alone thus far, as we write type away at an old type writer in a greasy white vest in a dingy apartment about our 'forbidden love we never acted on.'

Some people could spend a lifetime writing on a book for it never to be published. Or paint a picture that would never be shared with the public. Any GOT fan's here? Put "George R.R Martin" under verbal siege for not finish the next book yet? Creators with some regard for themselves release things when they feel happy about their piece. regardless of what it is.
That's all well and good, except he's not writing a book. He's on Patreon. George R.R Martin is not selling himself out for monthly donations to release the next chapter. If Gumdrops was so convinced of his amazing plot/VN Novel and he has truly dedicated himself to insanely long cycles. He should remove the patreon, be upfront with his fans, and start a kickstarter instead, (I am well aware that will never happen).

LazyName

Aug 17, 2017
Honestly his biggest crimes are his communication and his management of fan expectations. The time between updates, the "lack" of content, the tones and themes within the game none of these are actually problems on their own. he isnt an employee nor has he been contracted to do any of his work. Hes an independant artist relying on donations from fans who want to see more. The outrage comes from failing to communicate and outright failing to deliver on the things he does communicate i.e. deadlines.

Reactions: Tyrantnyx

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Ahh you're right. It's more like Dashcon. I just like using hyperbole.

Whether the story is pre-written is up to the decision of the creator. What's given you the impression Gumdrops knows where the story is going? My theory is it ends with us leaving to Switzerland, depressed and alone thus far, as we write type away at an old type writer in a greasy white vest in a dingy apartment about our 'forbidden love we never acted on.'

That's all well and good, except he's not writing a book. He's on Patreon. George R.R Martin is not selling himself out for monthly donations to release the next chapter. If Gumdrops was so convinced of his amazing plot/VN Novel and he has truly dedicated himself to insanely long cycles. He should remove the patreon, be upfront with his fans, and start a kickstarter instead, (I am well aware that will never happen).
I didn't say Gumdrop had the story written already. I said it would be the best scenario if creators had. It's like well over 20 years ago I was writing on a thesis, but that wasn't done in a day, week or a month. And I had to go back and re-write parts and still give me nightmares just to think about it. Not to far fetched to think he just working on something he want perfected, at least in his own eyes.

Also... there is writers on Patreon. Just go look, you will find... Stray outside the adult stuff and you will find tons of stuff :p Patreon is about support the creator. I think a lot of people have a hard time accept that fact. By support, you don't subscribe to a service, you don't buy something, and the creator not selling anything. You are not entitled to ANYTHING. And guess what? If you end up don't like what the creator does after you support, you can take your ball and go home.

There is twitch thots with Patreon, they come in all form and shapes. When you say "selling themselves" on Patron, what does that make? Prostitution?

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Patreon is about support the creator. I think a lot of people have a hard time accept that fact. By support, you don't subscribe to a service, you don't buy something, and the creator not selling anything. You are not entitled to ANYTHING. And guess what? If you end up don't like what the creator does after you support, you can take your ball and go home.
The creator and you have a mutually beneficial agreement. 'They' advertise what they want to make, 'They' promise in return what you will get for 'your' support, whatever that may be. You, after donating at that point, ARE ENTITLED to something. You have willingly agreed to help someone financially insentivised with the returned promise interest. If you ask me for $1000 dollars to invest in X-ray goggles, and promise me in return I will get one for free when it's done. You are morally obliged to live up (or at least try live up) to your end of the deal. While there is no legal accountability to Patreon, your reputation as a developer and the financial pull you draw in will dwindle dramatically the more you are perceived as dishonest or unreliable. (Unless you get yourself a little cult following I guess).

If you feel otherwise, feel free to try design your own game promising different rewards for each tier and then not deliver and explain casually do the people who put faith in you how 'this isn't a subscriber service.' I eagerly await the results.

Not to far fetched to think he just working on something he want perfected, at least in his own eyes.
Can't wait to read it, at this point I'm expecting Ernest Hemingway.

I'm well aware there are writers on patreon, I am one of them.

'Selling yourself' AKA, your trade.

satoshi36

Dec 7, 2017
Many is upset over why things take so long time, critical to the writing, story and what not. Creators fall between many chairs, artists, writers, musicians, etc. Some perfectionists in their own head, not necessary considered by others, but what others see a creator as doesn't really matter.

The whole milking it, is rather pointless. As he pointed out himself, he could made so much more with shorter dev cycles. Whatever he does he do for his own sake, not yours. Patreon is a platform where you support the creator, you don't subscribe to a service or buy a product.

This probably where someone want to stab me with a fork and yell fanboy, but truth is, I don't really care if things take time, or if things get released at all. Slightly disappointed maybe.. Hey, how about that next episode of "Half Life"?, yeah....about that :p
Gumdrop is that you homie, nice to see you around...

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
The creator and you have a mutually beneficial agreement. 'They' advertise what they want to make, 'They' promise in return what you will get for 'your' support, whatever that may be. You, after donating at that point, ARE ENTITLED to something. You have willingly agreed to help someone financially insentivised with the returned promise interest. If you ask me for $1000 dollars to invest in X-ray goggles, and promise me in return I will get one for free when it's done. You are morally obliged to live up (or at least try live up) to your end of the deal. While there is no legal accountability to Patreon, your reputation as a developer and the financial pull you draw in will dwindle dramatically the more you are perceived as dishonest or unreliable. (Unless you get yourself a little cult following I guess).

If you feel otherwise, feel free to try design your own game promising different rewards for each tier and then not deliver and explain casually do the people who put faith in you how 'this isn't a subscriber service.' I eagerly await the results.

Can't wait to read it, at this point I'm expecting Ernest Hemingway.

I'm well aware there are writers on patreon, I am one of them.

'Selling yourself' AKA, your trade.
Looks like you are mixing up such as Kickstarter with Patreon. If you look at the Patreon guidelines I can't find anything about a creator is bound to give you anything in exchange for your support. There is podcasts, blogs, youtube channels and heaps of random stuff on Patreon that doesn't necessary give anything else than somewhat entertainment value for the interested audience.

And if you are a writer on Patreon, would you give in for demands about serve up stories and what not on a monthly basis just to serve up something, or would you take pride in your writing and release content when its worth releasing?

Looking at gumdrops patreon page, he sure doesn't promise you x-ray goggles for 1000 bucks.

Imho, his biggest failure is overestimation and lack of communication.

Siddington

Sep 11, 2017
By support, you don't subscribe to a service, you don't buy something, and the creator not selling anything. You are not entitled to ANYTHING. And guess what? If you end up don't like what the creator does after you support, you can take your ball and go home.
I've honestly heard this argument multiples times on different game threads (quite often from yourself) and while it is strictly true yes, it is also incredibly frustrating. Yes by the nature of the platform you're not technically buying a product or service but this does come with a level of expectation from the payer to the payee. It is expected that payee will provide the payer with something at least on a semi regular basis to compensate for the continued support. While PinUps and the like may fit into this category we both know this is not the real reason I can imagine the majority of people are supporting a person/corporate entity for. I'm sure this differs depending on the Patreon account in question and while some people will support a person out of the goodness of their heart or because they believe in a certain cause/artistic vision/person, the majority of people will expect some recompense for their cash. While there may be no Patreon small print people can point too, is it too much to expect some common decency in the world today. While people maybe free to cancel at any time I think the Sunk Cost Fallacy comes into play a lot of the time. Most people don't want to admit they've back a donkey (Sad Ken, the three legged, blind horse? Anyone?) and it's why people will go to great lengths to defend the indefensible.

In the case of Gumdrop, I believe he has made some some serious errors in judgement regarding his setting of deadlines for himself, the ill-timed development of the Last Christmas spin-off story, even though he had to know it would end up delaying the release of Part X, and the way he dispenses information to his patrons and potential patrons. Was there a poll at the beginning of December asking whether his patrons minded delaying Part X for a month to develop a pointless ( at this time imo ) spin-off that added little to the story? I've seen no mention of one, so why did he wait until the release of Last Christmas to inform people. At this point he is just drawing unnecessary criticism when it could be easily avoided. As he has stated, it is only doing damage to his brand in the long run.

Anyway, it's nearly 1 am UK time, on a Thursday night/Friday morning, I've had 4 ciders and my brain hurts now. Please sweet baby jebus will he just release this update already and no doubt reap the rewards of what I'm sure will be the best update to Dual Family yet. I mean it has to be, right?

BTW do you go by a different name on Discord? Your arguments are very similar to a person I see on Gumdrops channel up until recently.

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Looks like you are mixing up such as Kickstarter with Patreon. If you look at the Patreon guidelines I can't find anything about a creator is bound to give you anything in exchange for your support. There is podcasts, blogs, youtube channels and heaps of random stuff on Patreon that doesn't necessary give anything else than somewhat entertainment value for the interested audience.

And if you are a writer on Patreon, would you give in for demands about serve up stories and what not on a monthly basis just to serve up something, or would you take pride in your writing and release content when its worth releasing?

Looking at gumdrops patreon page, he sure doesn't promise you x-ray goggles for 1000 bucks.

Imho, his biggest failure is overestimation and lack of communication.
Look, Josh...You're killing me here.

Not everything is about guidelines and paperwork and legal documentation rigorously processed. There's no 'obligation' but creators such as Gumdrops DO offer things for your donation. They, at that point, are morally obliged to try their best to deliver on what they promised.

I, as a writer on patreon, am very upfront in what I can do, what I am about, and what I can deliver. Most are aware my time is occupied with writing for a game's development. I would not promise 'Monthly stories' or 'A story' every free month if it could not be delivered, because IF I did, I would then be obliged to live up to that expectations.

Put it into a different perspective:

If I went to a bar with you, and five other friends. I say, 'guys, I will buy the first round of shots. You guys want to work rota and each pay for the next round?' If you then agree, and everyone pays for a round and it comes to your turn, you are not expected to say,

'Under no legal framework am I obligated to pay for this, I did not subscribe to any service and therefore I refuse.'

YOU CAN do that, you can say it. You can walk away and leave us all hanging at the bar.

But you can bet your ass no one is ever going to buy you another shot ever again.

Ethics matter on Patreon. They will make or break whether your audience sticks around, and coincidentally, whether you get to finish your 'dream' project. Abusing that might not get you sued, but it'll certainly tank your project.

satoshi36

Dec 7, 2017
This Joshua guy/gal is trippin big time, when i read what is writing my eyes bleed, that mentality God help us, i say leave him/her be cuz is in a league of its own...

Reactions: January2015

LazyName

Aug 17, 2017
Personally i think this whole discussion is interesting on one hand Josh tree is factually and logically the most sound whatever rebuttals get thrown at him it doesnt shake the fact that everything he says is just objectively true. On the other hand the people arguing feels over reals actually reflect the common concensus on how patreon *should* operate and the expectations that each "donation" should have some kind of compensation. One thing is that nowhere on the patreon did i see it promise scheduled or timely updates just the promise that donations would help support the game and the extra goodies that go along with each donation tier (whether or not thats enough compensation is personal but still worth noting). Ultimately he does maintain some of the highest donation counts i've seen for this kind of thing whether that reflects some sunk cost memes, or it means the backers do believe that the quality of work is worth their spare money remains to be seen.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I've honestly heard this argument multiples times on different game threads (quite often from yourself) and while it is strictly true yes, it is also incredibly frustrating. Yes by the nature of the platform you're not technically buying a product or service but this does come with a level of expectation from the payer to the payee. It is expected that payee will provide the payer with something at least on a semi regular basis to compensate for the continued support. While PinUps and the like may fit into this category we both know this is not the real reason I can imagine the majority of people are supporting a person/corporate entity for. I'm sure this differs depending on the Patreon account in question and while some people will support a person out of the goodness of their heart or because they believe in a certain cause/artistic vision/person, the majority of people will expect some recompense for their cash. While there may be no Patreon small print people can point too, is it too much to expect some common decency in the world today. While people maybe free to cancel at any time I think the Sunk Cost Fallacy comes into play a lot of the time. Most people don't want to admit they've back a donkey (Sad Ken, the three legged, blind horse? Anyone?) and it's why people will go to great lengths to defend the indefensible.

In the case of Gumdrop, I believe he has made some some serious errors in judgement regarding his setting of deadlines for himself, the ill-timed development of the Last Christmas spin-off story, even though he had to know it would end up delaying the release of Part X, and the way he dispenses information to his patrons and potential patrons. Was there a poll at the beginning of December asking whether his patrons minded delaying Part X for a month to develop a pointless ( at this time imo ) spin-off that added little to the story? I've seen no mention of one, so why did he wait until the release of Last Christmas to inform people. At this point he is just drawing unnecessary criticism when it could be easily avoided. As he has stated, it is only doing damage to his brand in the long run.

Anyway, it's nearly 1 am UK time, on a Thursday night/Friday morning, I've had 4 ciders and my brain hurts now. Please sweet baby jebus will he just release this update already and no doubt reap the rewards of what I'm sure will be the best update to Dual Family yet. I mean it has to be, right?

BTW do you go by a different name on Discord? Your arguments are very similar to a person I see on Gumdrops channel up until recently.
I agree Patreon can be frustrating. But the good thing with the platform is if your initial impression is good and you decide to support, then it turns out different you can stop support and you not really wasted that much on do it. I support a couple adult games on Patreon, and a a couple youtube shows. The later for the entertainment value they offer. In regard of the former, I fully understand that a single dev working on a game and use Patreon as platform; things take time, a lot of time. Why I spread my support around from month to month. If someone create something that give me some entertainment value and I would like to see some more from them, I try tip the jar. But as there is many creators and I can't really afford to tip all of the at the same time, I try spread it around.

And yeah, I used the argument that Patreon is just a platform to support the creator and not subscribe to a service or buy anything in several threads regarding several games. The whole "milking" hysteria and almost war like state towards creators is just bad form imho. People vote with their money, its the strongest argument you can have. And if you not tipped the jar or intend to in the first place, then why the anger. Loot boxes , ingame cash shops, and pay 2 win games and all that crap upset me way more tbh. There is so much stuff to vent frustration at than some creator that will/might release some stuff that can get your rocks off (maybe).

I don't use discord and I don't hang out at gumdrops channel, and its well over half a year since I tipped his jar last time. I hope his next release will be worth the wait. But it's not something that keep me awake at night. Whenever the release come and if its good, I'll tip him again.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Look, Josh...You're killing me here.

Not everything is about guidelines and paperwork and legal documentation rigorously processed. There's no 'obligation' but creators such as Gumdrops DO offer things for your donation. They, at that point, are morally obliged to try their best to deliver on what they promised.

I, as a writer on patreon, am very upfront in what I can do, what I am about, and what I can deliver. Most are aware my time is occupied with writing for a game's development. I would not promise 'Monthly stories' or 'A story' every free month if it could not be delivered, because IF I did, I would then be obliged to live up to that expectations.

Put it into a different perspective:

If I went to a bar with you, and five other friends. I say, 'guys, I will buy the first round of shots. You guys want to work rota and each pay for the next round?' If you then agree, and everyone pays for a round and it comes to your turn, you are not expected to say,

'Under no legal framework am I obligated to pay for this, I did not subscribe to any service and therefore I refuse.'

YOU CAN do that, you can say it. You can walk away and leave us all hanging at the bar.

But you can bet your ass no one is ever going to buy you another shot ever again.

Ethics matter on Patreon. They will make or break whether your audience sticks around, and coincidentally, whether you get to finish your 'dream' project. Abusing that might not get you sued, but it'll certainly tank your project.
In regard of your bar example; If five guys agreeing on buy round's they agreed on something.

I kinda look at it like; If I support a creator on Patreon, I get something of value back. What that value is, is quite different from creator to creator, but lets just call it "entertainment value"...

To play on your bar example. It's kinda like ask some girl out. Do you expect her to pick of half the check, or do you cover it?
If I ask someone out, I pick up the tab and have a good time. I don't expect anything else than just that. I don't expect the girl to feel obliged to do anything particular either. Other than hopefully share a good time.

If your Patreon tank, wouldn't that just mean people vote with their money and throw their support someplace else?

If you look at what gumdrop made in the past, the previous episodes. It's not like he taken cash and ran away without provide anything/make anything at all. So the episode we all waiting for is taking a lot of time. A bit like waiting for the next season of your favorite tv show to start up again right?

But as you are a creator yourself, can you even relate to gumdrop if he doesn't want to release something before he feel its ready in regard of the quality he want it to be?

Reactions: Xumeey
2.10 star(s) 189 Votes