VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes
U

User_166761

Don't know about merging, it would destroy a lot of the appeal of the game.

What he could do though, is to alternate development from month to month. Focus one month on father only, then on son, and so on.

Reactions: botc76

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
What he could do though, is to alternate development from month to month. Focus one month on father only, then on son, and so on.
What this guy shouldn't do is scrap crucial part of certain routes if he wants to focus on both at the same time.
The shopping event could've been a great opportunity for some fuel and reaction, even some peeping would've been a better progress than scrapping everything altogether. Everybody can see what it did for the father progress with the daughter and it could've been in a similar fashion for the son.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
H1Z1 says hello x'Dx'D It's been in early access for 2 years or more and it still is XD.
I guess the sore point is that you don't pledge like let's say 20€ or something and get a monthly update, but you "have" to pay this sum on a monthly basis. If it would be a one-time thing there would probably be less outrage over the updates.
Most here doesn't pledge a dime. And those that actually do pledge, if they feel they don't get what they pledge for, then they can change their mind right? Remember the basics of the pledges on Patreon is to support a creator "you like". And why you like that creator is highly individual. For some its all about the content the creator can deliver every month, for others its the more long term. fk sake, I got a Patreon going for wreckless eating which is just silly bastards eating silly shit and goofing around. With no other enjoyment other than think its funny to watch sometimes.

oh and H1Z1 is in my library on steam, and it was renamed to "Just Survive" recently.... Havent played it in a year or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krull

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I'm not the one who goes to a DMD thread and complain that the game is not like Dual Family. Many people who like DMD seem to be doing just that in this thread. Hence why I replied. I would really dislike seeing Gumdropgames following that advice.

Regarding your point about the traps, you don't need the sexual interaction to see how much better the dialogue and writing in this game is. The process that leads to sexual encounters is as important to me as the act itself. That's why I like what Gumdropgames is doing, and why I can't stand DMD, the daughter is way too dumb and creepily childish in that game. It's like a toy.

I like women in these kind of games to resemble adult women with actual personalities of their own, like the daughter in this game not liking parties, being worried about college, picking the dress by herself, etc. Women who take the initiative instead of being passive individuals the player needs to interact with. Details like those at least show promise.

Well, I think you're doing the same thing they are, just because you didn't bring it up first, doesn't mean you're not pissing on one game and the people who like it, to defend a game you like.

I think both is unnecessary as the games aren't that similar, apart from the very basic premise that a dad and a daughter might at one point fuck each other.

Reactions: ponyguy

berny

Jun 8, 2017
Completely agree with teaber and zaloo about what they said about DMD, but in the interest of peace, let me bring something else up.
Why, why did he have to implement so much of this awful monologue. There is nothing more boring for me as a player than having to read through dozens of lines of often badly written thoughts of the MC. Writers really should learn about the concept of "show, don't tell", that's basically writing 101, even in videogames.

We player aren't that dumb, we are perfectly capable of understanding the MC's motivation without bombarding us with these hideous monologues.

Last edited:

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Completely agree with teaber and zaloo about what they said about DMD, but in the interest of peace, let me bring something else up.
Why, why did he have to implement so much of this awful monologue. There is nothing more boring for me as a player than having to read through dozens of lines of often badly written thoughts of the MC. Writers really should learn about the concept of "show, don't tell", that's basically writing 101, even in videogames.

We player aren't that dumb, we are perfectly capable of understanding the MC's motivation without bombarding us with monologues.
Well, VN games for adults is little more than what picture books for kids was, except rather than "what does the cow say", its more about "who let the dogs out". But then people grow up and find out about books, and so on, and suddenly just the visuals alone is not really enough. It need to be meat on the bones. The storyteller here is the creator of the game, if you don't like it, well.. what does the cow say?

If I go to the movies and its awfull, I walk out. If I start read a book and its bad, I stop read it. I don't start hate on the producers, the writers and what not.

VN's is more of interactive stories rather than actual games. Playing Sex Olympics back in the day and bust the wrist jiggle the joystick back and forth, now that was a game. Not really that rewarding, but a novelity :p

You probably would had a blast in the land of the lounge lizard back in the day, or maybe not, to many words there too, and with that reference I feel to old suddenly, sigh.

fredoo04

Jun 22, 2017
H1Z1 says hello x'Dx'D It's been in early access for 2 years or more and it still is XD.
I guess the sore point is that you don't pledge like let's say 20€ or something and get a monthly update, but you "have" to pay this sum on a monthly basis. If it would be a one-time thing there would probably be less outrage over the updates.
Wait, aren't Early Access Games a one-time investment only?
You pay the listed price and that's it.. or I missed something?

berny

Jun 8, 2017
Well, VN games for adults is little more than what picture books for kids was, except rather than "what does the cow say", its more about "who let the dogs out". But then people grow up and find out about books, and so on, and suddenly just the visuals alone is not really enough. It need to be meat on the bones. The storyteller here is the creator of the game, if you don't like it, well.. what does the cow say?

If I go to the movies and its awfull, I walk out. If I start read a book and its bad, I stop read it. I don't start hate on the producers, the writers and what not.

VN's is more of interactive stories rather than actual games. Playing Sex Olympics back in the day and bust the wrist jiggle the joystick back and forth, now that was a game. Not really that rewarding, but a novelity :p

You probably would had a blast in the land of the lounge lizard back in the day, or maybe not, to many words there too, and with that reference I feel to old suddenly, sigh.
Wait a minute, that's basically the exact opposite of what I was trying to say. By "show, don't tell", I don't mean more pictures, less text, it's merely a concept that basically means: Instead of describing something by boring summarization or description, use a more interesting way, like dialogues or actions.
So instead of having an endless, and at least in my opinion, very boring monologue about the feelings and doubts the father has about his daughter, let him shy away when she is trying to hug him or something. That's much more subtle, and way more interesting. This is not a perfect example, after all the goal is to get close to the daughter, but there are endless possibilities that are more interesting than having to passively read a wall of text.

Last edited:

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
Honestly it just seems like the dad route is a hell of a lot more fleshed out than the son route more than anything.
Just to be clear I don't believe thats the case. I decrypted and followed the script.py as a guide and never saw a -1 for sneaking into her room. You don't even get that if after the uncomfortable conversation you move closer.

Basically just going off memory where the negative mom points happen is if you try to kiss her while drunk and try to cop a feel at the sink along with being an arse in conversation points. It's really obvious.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Wait a minute, that's basically the exact opposite of what I was trying to say. By "show, don't tell", I don't mean more pictures, less text, it's merely a concept that basically means: Instead of describing something by boring summarization or description, use a more interesting way, like dialogues or actions.
So instead of having an endless, and at least in my opinion, very boring monologue about the feelings and doubts the father has about his daughter, let him shy away when she is trying to hug him or something. That's much more subtle, and way more interesting. This is not a perfect example, after all the goal is to get close to the daughter, but there are endless possibilities that are more interesting than having to read monologues.
Well, I guess with the monogloues he try to build on the character, and maybe try get the player, or the reader in this case to maybe see through the eyes of the character. idk, only the creator say something about that. I remember we had to read "the old man and the sea" back in the day in school, it wasn't the most fun I done but I couldn't very well tell Hemmingway he wrote it wrong either. In these patreon games the players/readers is little elese than critiques that review a unfinished product.

May 7, 2017
Actually @trumpthatbitch, I made two runs just to see where the son gains or loses relationship points with the mom and if you follow the guide you end up with two points gained, if you diverge a bit from the guide, you gain three points by not hiding and peeping at the first opportunity you have with the mom.

If you comfort her, you gain 1 point.
If you enter the mom's room without knocking and hide you lose the point, even if you move closer after the conversation and promptly confess, or simply confess it is simply the same result.
You gain 1 point if you don't go to the party and stay home, then reply in the dream sequence you are interested in mom.
If you refrain from kissing her you gain another point and that's it.

Though, I think the point of the first peeping is exposition and to show that this game is not "that kind of game" were you run in a character and bam you are doing stuff with them. Probably is simply to show the possibility of paths that can be explored and to present that your actions have consequences that perpetuate in the story.

Tally of possible points in each route (F-S) inside the spoiler
:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hope it helps to bring a broader idea of the paths in-game o_O Made a few mistakes in the counting and flow of choices, so, new scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: supanova999

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
Actually @trumpthatbitch, I made two runs just to see where the son gains or loses relationship points with the mom and if you follow the guide you end up with two points gained, if you diverge a bit from the guide, you gain three points by not hiding and peeping at the first opportunity you have with the mom.

If you comfort her, you gain 1 point.
If you enter the mom's room without knocking and hide you lose the point, even if you move closer after the conversation and promptly confess, or simply confess it is simply the same result.
You gain 1 point if you don't go to the party and stay home, then reply in the dream sequence you are interested in mom.
If you refrain from kissing her you gain another point and that's it.
Could be true would have to check that script is a holy looking mess he has the father and son routes combined so it's hard to follow

Pantisocrat

Jul 3, 2017
It is called milking.
I doubt that, to be honest. Or at least, it's terribly inept milking, since the update is so egregiously sub-par. Ironically, I think we'd have gotten a better update if the dev was trying to milk the sponsors.

enokard

Apr 25, 2017
It's funny that this month but, perharps it's every month, I read people who write : "Almost nothing, really poor content" for Dreams of Desires, Big Brother, Dual Family, The Twist and Au-Pair Innocence, Thinking About You updates, etc, etc...
What conclusion can we draw from this ? People are bored ? Not enough sex scenes ? Devs become lazy ?

elmandor

Respected User
Mar 6, 2017
It's funny that this month but, perharps it's every month, I read people who write : "Almost nothing, really poor content" for Dreams of Desires, Big Brother, Dual Family, The Twist and Au-Pair Innocence, Thinking About You updates, etc, etc...
What conclusion can we draw from this ? People are bored ? Not enough sex scenes ? Devs become lazy ?
Maybe its late summer effect?

elmandor

Respected User
Mar 6, 2017
So @enokard and @elmandor where you both entertained with this update? I really liked the progress on the father's side/route but I did see some flaws on the son's route, so what's your take?
I agree father route seems to me more balanced. When I was playing son's route feel like no connection between scenes. Just like jumping scene to scene. Thats exactly how I felt Dreams of desire in this version.

Reactions: Paranoid_android

enokard

Apr 25, 2017
I agree with some of the people who said : "1 month wait for this..." "Pretty deceived by the content", "terrible game flow".... I'm disappointed in the updates for all theses games :
- Dreams of Desires,
- Big Brother,
- Dual Family,
- The Twist,
- Au-Pair Innocence,
- Thinking About You
I stopped all my pledges. I think that sex is like drug. Just my opinion ! But I want always more exciting scenes, stories, pictures, faces. This escalation always leads to the frustration. No devs, nobody (even IRL, I think...) can fill this kind of wait. (Do you feel what I mean ? My English is not good).

Last edited:
2.10 star(s) 189 Votes