Ruthven

Oct 13, 2016
On the other hand 60,000 lines of code to do what you could do with 10,000 is a lot more manageable. Less areas for something to get copied wrong, adjusted wrong, or type every time something new comes in.
Depends, for some people (specially unexperienced ones) 60,000 lines written by themselves are more manageable than 10,000 written by a stranger. That's what I was trying to say, no point in bringing changes to the code for the single purpose of making it look better if it's going to take the dev days to adapt to it. As I said working as a group on a code requires to be well coordinated otherwise it is quickly counterproductive.
Is this actually faster though? Both are kept in memory so I don't imagine one would be more lightweight than the other, and is there some performance penalty when accessing the property of an object? Pulling a global var into cache would only be pulling that single variable but wouldn't an object property require the object to me moved into cache, thus being slower? I don't know the answer to this.
Yes it is faster. For the reason that state is saved in each savestate (history) while setup isn't. So if you have 10 saves in your browser cache and each save keeps 10 savestates, each variable that is stored in state is stored 100 times. I don't think I have to explain why storing 100 times a variable whose value never change is bad.
To give you an idea, the game stores around 840 variables in state. I have identified 590 (so 70%) that are constant. And 95% of them are either large strings or arrays. Try this version of the game with all those variables stored in setup instead. Note that I have set the history to 10 (v1.2 use 5) and it is still faster. (this version might have visual bugs as I have heavily used regex to edit it)

Last edited:

Voidlurker

Oct 28, 2018
anyone else getting the bug where your gold number is replaced with letters so you have no money and cant earn any?

Funposter

Dec 27, 2016
Pretty cool game so far. Definitely like the ability to add custom girls. I know that we can't have duplicate monsters, but does this need to be true for monster variants as well? Unless we're getting a plethora of different monsters, I wouldn't mind having both the big slime and one of the other variants.

Having only 2 slaves slots also kind of sucks, but it is what it is right now I guess. In the future, can we have slaves fill dungeon rooms like creatures? I mean, they come with an initial class and everything, so making them into a dungeon creature after enough love/loyalty/strength/whatever would be cool.

Nighplasmage

Dec 24, 2019
The initial class isn't carried over in the slighest. Basically there is very little connection between slavers and raiders. stronger raiders do lean towards better stats on slavers, but it's a loose conversion with rng involved. At a minimum we are looking at something like 8 monsters 8 traps and probbaly some more so all dungeons can be filled, don't look the same.

SunlessSpear

Aug 11, 2017
Getting it too. Using the windows default antivirus
Same, I don't put much stock in Windows Defender, but it said the threat was severe so I'm taking no chances. 0.1.1 was absolutely fine (to malwarebytes, even) so if it is the result of an honest mistake it should be easy enough to find what caused it.

(Backdoor:Win32/Bladabindi!ml, is what it said it found, but in my experience these are "nicknames" and aren't really useful for finding out what something actually is. Or, in the case of false-positives, identifying anything at all.)

Last edited:

Nighplasmage

Dec 24, 2019
anyone else getting the bug where your gold number is replaced with letters so you have no money and cant earn any?
It's been reported. Waiting on Bug fix 0.1.3, which will probably have more code alterations which will also require play testing to identify. Effort has been put into proactively tracking down bad math and variable usage and rounding.

Not sure if the current version ends here or not, but i can't rank up even after meeting the rep quota.
Yes the game doesn't include rank 2 yet, If you hack it you can get more slave slots and build the training hall, but that is the limits of the content, but raiders will start rampaging through your dungeon like water through a sieve. Right now the focus is on improving and straightening out the game first.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Nice start. I always find myself ducking out Fort of Chains (another slave-focused HTML game) early because of information overload, but the complexity here is just right. My biggest complaint is the very long hang when progressing to the next day and interacting with the save menu, to the point where my browser thinks the tab is unresponsive.

What I'd like to see most is different personalities for the slaves, with lots of unique dialogue. The main issue with management games like this is they feel too impersonal to me, especially when different characters repeat the same lines. Games like this can be mechanically interesting for the gameplay, but for an ero-game, people are trying to get off to it as well, so it's important to keep the ero-content from getting repetitive. Ideally have some enticing long-term goals as well with unique content, not just ever-increasing numbers.

Dungeon Gaming

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2020
What I'd like to see most is different personalities for the slaves, with lots of unique dialogue. The main issue with management games like this is they feel too impersonal to me, especially when different characters repeat the same lines. Games like this can be mechanically interesting for the gameplay, but for an ero-game, people are trying to get off to it as well, so it's important to keep the ero-content from getting repetitive. Ideally have some enticing long-term goals as well with unique content, not just ever-increasing numbers.
I 100% agree. Right now I just slapped some dialogue and room descriptions together just to have something there but as I expand the game, I want to add better descriptions about what happens during combat in the rooms and a lot more variety with the slaves.

Ruthven

Oct 13, 2016
Here's my feedback and ideas.

First a bit of coding advices in order to reduce the memory usage :
-as I explain earlier use setup for constant variables.
-don't duplicate an array when you don't need to create a new instance, simply use an index.
-many of your arrays used to create instances include static variables. So split the constant and the variables you need for new instances.
Let's take your classes arrays as an exemple, let's say "warrior".
They include variables that are constant and common to all raiders created, like "role" or "type" (of damage). And variables that are individual to each instance, like "cur_hp" or "lust".
So the first step is to reallocate the warrior (and other classes) class to setup. Second, split static and dynamic variables. You can keep "warrior" to store constant values and create a new classe "raider_inst" for creating raiders instances. Third when you create a new raider (or need to access a warrior attribute) only use an index instead of copying the all array.
Classes declarations
set setup.classes = {warrior:{role:"Melee", type:"Physical", ...}, priestess:{role:"Support", type:"Magical", ...}, etc.};
set setup.raider_inst = {class:"", cur_hp:0, lust:0, etc.};

New instance creation
set _newRaider = setup.raider_inst;
set _newRaider.class = "warrior";

Accessing values
setup.classes[_newRaider.class].role;

Now some gameplay ideas :
-I don't like having to wait 3 days before being able to interact with a newly enslaved raider. I suggest that instead of waiting, the player has to break the girl (obviously by having sex with her) to make her submit and become a slave. This stage could be developed in the future. For exemple I think it would be a good idea to reveal the traits of a captured raider only after you've broken her.
-The monsters HP stat and the healing spell need a rework. Atm it doesn't make much of a difference if your monster have 1 or 100 HP. That's why I suggest making the healing spell unable to revive monster.
-Globally, as the game is in an early stage and most things aren't unlockable, you should increase the capacity of the dungeon. The players can't do much with their slaves for now, so at least let them have more than 2. About that I don't like games that forces arbitrary limits on the player without any reason. I think a better design is to indirectly limit the player, by having his choices have concequences. A simple exemple is upkeep cost. I rather be forced to sell a slave because I can't keep up with the financial expenses than being told "sorry you only got 2 spots now". Of course in this situation an upkeep cost seems hard to implement, hard to imagine a slave costing too much to support. But an idea could be to make slaves rebel or escape when they're not attened for a few days.

Nighplasmage

Dec 24, 2019
Ending on brutal is working on a clean 1.2 save.
Do you have any variables showing up as NaN there are a few variable misnaming in 1.2 that can spread around and render math logic void.

And Cmacleod pointing out the potential human error in your bug report. Are both conditions A and B met, or you just reporting condition A?

4.30 star(s) 18 Votes