Hallucination

Apr 9, 2018
The problem is that it's a convention, it's not a rule, it's not followed by everyone, it's not enforced, as we can see with countless examples on this site, let alone in the rest of the world.

Therefore, it's not a reliable indicator.

I don't see how it's complicated :
- you think there's a rule where 0.1 is initial release with little content and 1.0 is the complete game with decent amount of content
- you see again and again that people don't follow this rule
- you see that they're not corrected, no one is preventing them from choosing their own versioning scheme
- you then understand that it's not a rule and you can't use version numbers as a reliable indicator

Why don't you come to the conclusion? You seem to be bent on the "this is a rule and everyone follows it" stage, like a child who doesn't want to accept reality.

This is simple adaptation. You see somthing that contradicts your assumption, so you adapt. You find other ways (which I described earlier) to determine whether a game is worth it.
People breaking rules does not mean rules do not exist, your whole argument is "But they're doing it too!", not understanding that that is not a true argument. I understand that liars exist, and I understand that truth exists, these are not as mutually exclusive as you seem to think.

Reactions: Karnewarrior

Aug 22, 2016
People breaking rules does not mean rules do not exist, your whole argument is "But they're doing it too!", not understanding that that is not a true argument. I understand that liars exist, and I understand that truth exists, these are not as mutually exclusive as you seem to think.
How is that a rule? Didn't you see all the examples that contradict that "rule"?

An analogy:
If there's no law that says you must drive on the right side of the road, yet 70% of people drive on the right side of the road, that still doesn't make it a rule or a law. You can still expect 30% of people driving on the left side or in the middle of the road. Therefore you can't safely drive on the right side, you will soon come face to face with someone and collide at a great velocity. The guy who knew that driving on the right side was not a rule will laugh at your corpse.

Hallucination

Apr 9, 2018
How is that a rule? Didn't you see all the examples that contradict that "rule"?
Yet again your only argument is that other people use version numbers wrong, so there must be no right. Your analogy is poor, because you are simply stating something rather than proving it.
If there's no law
Right here, you start with "If what I believe is true" and you never bring up supporting evidence.
The guy who knew that driving on the right side was not a rule will laugh at your corpse.
You simply go to "and people who agree with me will laugh at you."
Your position is baseless, and your argument is circular. Outside of the bandwagon argument you have nothing, and yet faced with contrary evidence your response was
This is part of "Political and cultural significance of version numbers". Or as I interpret it "many people who know very little of software versioning think ...".
"Well that doesn't count, because I don't like it."

Aug 22, 2016
Yet again your only argument is that other people use version numbers wrong, so there must be no right. Your analogy is poor, because you are simply stating something rather than proving it.

Right here, you start with "If what I believe is true" and you never bring up supporting evidence.

You simply go to "and people who agree with me will laugh at you."
Your position is baseless, and your argument is circular. Outside of the bandwagon argument you have nothing, and yet faced with contrary evidence your response was

"Well that doesn't count, because I don't like it."
Did you even read the article about all the different kinds of versioning schemes? It didn't strike you as meaningful that "0.1 to 1.0" is definitely not the only convention used out there?

Did you look up the examples I cited like TeX and Ubuntu?

How is that baseless?

Also you seem to forget that the burden of proof is on you, to prove that this "from alpha 0.1 to complete 1.0" is a rule or law. It's not on me to prove it's not a law or rule. Otherwise you could very well challenge me to prove that there's not a planet between 10000 and 10500 light years from Earth. Or that there's no teapot flying around the Solar system. And then you can say "Hah I'm right, you can't prove there's no teapot in space, so there must be a teapot in space."

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Did you even read the article about all the different kinds of versioning schemes? It didn't strike you as meaningful that "0.1 to 1.0" is definitely not the only convention used out there?

Did you look up the examples I cited like TeX and Ubuntu?
Most of them are post 1.0 release and definitely not a WIP projects.

They are not "Work In Progress" Projects.

I fucking repeat they are not WIP projects!!!

Also you seem to forget that the burden of proof is on you,
First this is wrong, and second if you look at the Latest Updates most games you will see will have < 1.0 versioning.
Furthermore this is the changelog of Lust Epidemic.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting that answer. Because I read that article.

This is part of "Political and cultural significance of version numbers". Or as I interpret it "many people who know very little of software versioning think ...".
Allow me to rephrase that:
"It's commonly accepted, and therefore because I am different, it's wrong, you all are wrong, and anyone using the commonly accepted meaning of the word when evaluating independent, amateur projects is also wrong, because these three exceptions to the rule exist and therefore any kind of pattern is dismissable."

Reactions: DuniX

A K S

Nov 17, 2017
I think we are going totally off topic here discussing on version numbering. Already, the dev has pointed out the reason for adopting 1.0 and it was, at least partially accepted.

However, on the topic of version numbering, IMHO, I tend to agree with geriatre in most points
1. There is no hard and fast rule for version numbering. While it is easier for users to understand that 1.0 is a finished version, not all devs here use that. For example, The Professor is at 2.6, Something Unlimited is at 2.2.8, Milf's Resort is at 5.4, A Spell for All is at 14.10.1 (these are just from first two pages of my watched threads list). On the other hand, there are also finished games with version number below 1.0 such as Babysitter at 0.2.2

2. Even if we consider that "It is a rule that 1.0 is a completed release", we have to understand that many of the devs here are not really programmers and probably have not learnt the etiquette/rules/conventions of version numbering. This is I think the main reason we should look and overlook unusual version numbering patterns and look at change logs and previous posts to judge content.

Anyway, this is my view and I suggest (again, my view) that we stop talking unnecessarily about the version numbering and get back to enjoying the games.

AKS

Aug 22, 2016
Most of them are post 1.0 release and definitely not a WIP projects.

They are not "Work In Progress" Projects.

I fucking repeat they are not WIP projects!!!
They can't be post-1.0 because they don't follow that versioning scheme.
A "year.month" scheme can't be "1.0"

First this is wrong,
Ok then, prove me that there's no teapot flying around in the Solar system. If you cannot, shame on you.

and second if you look at the Latest Updates most games you will see will have < 1.0 versioning.
So what? Nowhere it says you must start at 0.1 and end at 1.0 when your game is complete.

Furthermore this is the changelog of Lust Epidemic.
So what? It proves my point, the dev can do whatever he wants, he doesn't have to start with 0.1 and end with 1.0. Or do you assume that v22112 means the game has been completed 22112 times?
He only put 1.0 so idiots can realize this is a completed game, because they can't read the "Completed" tag.

I think we are going totally off topic here discussing on version numbering. Already, the dev has pointed out the reason for adopting 1.0 and it was, at least partially accepted.

However, on the topic of version numbering, IMHO, I tend to agree with geriatre in most points
1. There is no hard and fast rule for version numbering. While it is easier for users to understand that 1.0 is a finished version, not all devs here use that. For example, The Professor is at 2.6, Something Unlimited is at 2.2.8, Milf's Resort is at 5.4, A Spell for All is at 14.10.1 (these are just from first two pages of my watched threads list). On the other hand, there are also finished games with version number below 1.0 such as Babysitter at 0.2.2

2. Even if we consider that "It is a rule that 1.0 is a completed release", we have to understand that many of the devs here are not really programmers and probably have not learnt the etiquette/rules/conventions of version numbering. This is I think the main reason we should look and overlook unusual version numbering patterns and look at change logs and previous posts to judge content.

Anyway, this is my view and I suggest (again, my view) that we stop talking unnecessarily about the version numbering and get back to enjoying the games.

AKS
I completely agree. But simpletons can't accept that their idea about how versioning works is wrong.

Allow me to rephrase that:
"It's commonly accepted, and therefore because I am different, it's wrong, you all are wrong, and anyone using the commonly accepted meaning of the word when evaluating independent, amateur projects is also wrong, because these three exceptions to the rule exist and therefore any kind of pattern is dismissable."
Commonly accepted =/= rule

Therefore, not a reliable indicator. If it were a rule and moderators enforced that rule, then yes, we could confidently say "this game says 1.0 so it must be complete". But in the real world, this is not the case, so we can't say "this game is 1.0 so it's complete".

They attach way too much importance to "1.0". I'm only saying it's not reliable, and badgering the dev who releases an alpha as v1.0 will get nowhere.

• Angry

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
Therefore, not a reliable indicator. If it were a rule and moderators enforced that rule, then yes, we could confidently say "this game says 1.0 so it must be complete". But in the real world, this is not the case, so we can't say "this game is 1.0 so it's complete".

They attach way too much importance to "1.0". I'm only saying it's not reliable, and badgering the dev who releases an alpha as v1.0 will get nowhere.
Since when does something have to be an enforced rule to be a reliable indicator? To be a reliable indicator, all it needs to do is indicate something more often than not, which is what 0.1 version numbering does.
Having piles of dirt in your lawn is a reliable indicator of ants. It might be something else, sure, but given no other information it's perfectly reasonable to assume it's ants.
I'd like it if you stopped calling names and insulting people who are trying to explain to you basic english, Geriatre. Nobody's badgering the dev, we're badgering you because you seem attached to this idea that there needs to be a system mandated by a higher power in place for something to be reliable. Overly attached, even.

Aug 22, 2016
Nobody's badgering the dev
Oh really? This started on the first page of this thread:
https://f95zone.to/threads/dungeon-lord-v1-0-dungeon-gaming.53534/#post-3574504

...well the mixup of art aside a "first release" with Version number 1.0...
I am going to assume that means 0.1 a
More examples on other games:

https://f95zone.to/threads/college-daze-v0-059a-g28.41722/#post-2738662
I usually don't try out 0.01s, much less 0.001a, but I saw in the comments that this might have a bit more content than normal.

UselessSphinx said:
For a .01 this has a lot of content.
https://f95zone.to/threads/sugar-mom-v2-0-zuleyka-games.34690/post-2243389
Oh boy, a version 2.0 already? There must be a buttload of content!
/s

https://f95zone.to/threads/white-trainer-v1-0-thatredhood.22898/post-1417039
I'm presuming this isn't a 1.0 at all and actually a 0.1?
https://f95zone.to/threads/daughter-for-dessert-ch-19-palmer.5291/post-215464
I liked it,
But When you advertising something as 1.00 then you expect a Full version or at least a version with substantial content.
This is not...
So i would make this a 0.01 or a 0.1 so you can avoid any miscommunication or conflict with people who are expecting a 1.0 version.
https://f95zone.to/threads/extra-classes-resurgam-v0-12-0-lew3dy.9085/post-490323

0.10.0? I don't think I've ever seen a version number like that. I'm not sure what it means content-wise. :confused:
https://f95zone.to/threads/freeloading-family-v0-27-gu-ffcreations.6475/post-316985
Good, good. Also, calling the next version 0.3 could be a problem. People are impatient and want sex quickly. They will see the third version of your game, play it and they could shit on it because of it's lack of action. Personnally, I don't mind but I think the three mini version you posted (will post for the last one) should be the 0.1 instead of 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3. Then, the big update would be the 0.2.
Good luck dev.
https://f95zone.to/threads/the-davis-family-v1-1-0-b-d-s-m-productions.6430/post-305499
can we have some pictures? also wtf is that version number, shouldn't it be v0.0.1?
https://f95zone.to/threads/maxs-life-ch-3-v0-32-kuggazer.4815/post-184025
If this is a first release/demo shouldn't it be 0.1 rather than 1.0?
And this is why I don't rely on version numbers to figure out if a game is complete or has a decent amount of content.
Version numbers only serve me to know if the current version is identical to the one I already played or not.

Feel free to keep complaining
"oh but this game has no content why did you say 1.0 when it should be 0.0.1a, i'm sad:cry:"
"how come this says 1.0 but it's just a demo ?! MOMMYYYYYYY :cry:"

Hallucination

Apr 9, 2018
And this is why I don't rely on version numbers to figure out if a game is complete or has a decent amount of content.
Version numbers only serve me to know if the current version is identical to the one I already played or not.
If version numbers are not a reliable indicator of content, why would you use version numbers to see if there is different content?:unsure: Maybe you just haven't thought this through.

Reactions: Karnewarrior

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Oh really? This started on the first page of this thread:
https://f95zone.to/threads/dungeon-lord-v1-0-dungeon-gaming.53534/#post-3574504

Feel free to keep complaining
"oh but this game has no content why did you say 1.0 when it should be 0.0.1a, i'm sad:cry:"
"how come this says 1.0 but it's just a demo ?! MOMMYYYYYYY :cry:"
Let's agree that we disagree and move on instead of derailing this Thread further off topic.
It seems you have a very clear picture on the matter and are entitled to your oppinion, I just hope you're willing to let others have their own aswell.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this discussion isn't going anywhere except the dark land of increasingly snide and acidic remarks that eventually summon moderators.

How's the next update coming along, Dev? Any cool new features added?

anon62195

Apr 13, 2018
If version numbers are not a reliable indicator of content, why would you use version numbers to see if there is different content?:unsure: Maybe you just haven't thought this through.
The person you're replying to isn't even specifying content with the quote you snipped, just talking about whether or not there's been updates that could be either content or bug fixes.

Dungeon Gaming

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2020
How's the next update coming along, Dev? Any cool new features added?
Lots of new things!

I should set some expectations though, the next version will be much smaller in content than this version, so much so I will probably make a new game post for it. I wanted to rework a lot of the systems since I have a better understanding of Twine/Sugarcube. This way once everything is set up it will be much easier for me to expand and add more content. Here are some of the things that are getting implemented or changed. As always I am open to your thoughts and suggestions so please let me know what you think.

Raids

Slaves

Dungeon Stats

Sluts

Lolis and Fetish option

Art Direction

Daba

Jan 22, 2018
Lots of new things!

I should set some expectations though, the next version will be much smaller in content than this version, so much so I will probably make a new game post for it. I wanted to rework a lot of the systems since I have a better understanding of Twine/Sugarcube. This way once everything is set up it will be much easier for me to expand and add more content. Here are some of the things that are getting implemented or changed. As always I am open to your thoughts and suggestions so please let me know what you think.

Raids

Slaves

Dungeon Stats

Sluts

Lolis and Fetish option

Art Direction
Looks good so far, but I am sorry to see that player won't be the final boss anymore. Also I hope that there won't be hard limit on number of enslaved girls, or at least that we can upgrade dungeon hold enough times. In last version, my main objection was that there was only 3 levels of upgrades.
I know that is impossible to please everyone, but just my opinion on the matter.
Thank you for developing a fun game.

Reactions: Dungeon Gaming
4.00 star(s) 22 Votes