PenguinFuhrer

Aug 21, 2019
Doesn't matter if the "guy's been there since the start" or anything like that. If he can't handle the job and you don't want to fire him, give him another one and dock his pay if he has one. Then hire a competent guy.
Doesn't need to be some "top-tier" programmer, at this point ANYONE with experience would probably be better.

In the end it is BlueCat's fault. It's his project and whether he pushed responsibilities to someone else or not, he has to make sure that work actually gets done. He is the top brass whether he likes it or not.

Eku7

Aug 18, 2018
All I can say being a DotNet developer in a decent company is when we realize that the time we need for the work we committed to do is more than we expected we reevaluate the situation and come up with some solutions for clients/customers. If they expected to complete it by December and haven't done it until now in July then they were probably very far from completion.

They could have had a poll from their patreons and told them that the work we thought is not close to completion and might take another year for completion. Do you want to still do the merge or drop the idea and give you next week content in 2-3 months. If they would have been honest instead of saying we are close to completion every three months, they wouldn't have lost so much money and time. I remember when they were close to 9000$ and now its 3800. But let's wait another two months for an update saying we are doing translations and very close to completion.
And Sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
They could have keep putting out story content while working on other things that is taking so long to do.

They should never have gone with combining weeks and so on, just release week at a time and so on.

Combining everything together is going to make it so large it will take days to upload and hours to download.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Well everyone has to admit that they are not trying to take money.

As Eku7 points out their revenue has shrunk to almost 1/3 whereas if they left the buggy shit as is and just slapped new content together they would very much have made A LOT more money.

So as Skummy says this is NOT evil intent or malicious profiteering, it is incompetence.

At this point it is best to just wait for them to clear this reprogram hurdle with the one benefit being that all new content will be on better framework and easier to merge. So then they can go back to production (which was pretty good levels if I recall correctly).

The other big unanswered question is how big will it be at the end of the merge? If it is too big you will need to torrent the content. Do they want to merge the next full 30 day month into one month or one merge total? Because well.... I would hope their Subs/Patrons vote no on merging anything that big. Again leading to the how the hell do you host something that big?

My random thoughts

PEACE

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
So as Skummy says this is NOT evil intent or malicious profiteering, it is incompetence.
Pretty much this. People always assume that devs have malicious intent when that is very often not the case. The stuff they are doing now with fixing the code, etc, should have been done a long time ago. Now with all the content they have in the game it is a lot harder to fix. This is one of the reasons why I don't really complain when devs decide to remake/rework early content just after a couple of releases. It is better that they do all that stuff early than having to deal with this kind of situations in the future.

Eku7

Aug 18, 2018
Well everyone has to admit that they are not trying to take money.

As Eku7 points out their revenue has shrunk to almost 1/3 whereas if they left the buggy shit as is and just slapped new content together they would very much have made A LOT more money.

At this point it is best to just wait for them to clear this reprogram hurdle with the one benefit being that all new content will be on better framework and easier to merge. So then they can go back to production (which was pretty good levels if I recall correctly).

The other big unanswered question is how big will it be at the end of the merge? If it is too big you will need to torrent the content. Do they want to merge the next full 30 day month into one month or one merge total? Because well.... I would hope their Subs/Patrons vote no on merging anything that big. Again leading to the how the hell do you host something that big?

My random thoughts

PEACE
I believe it is around 15-16 GB, I think someone from the team mentioned it a while ago(I might be incorrect), but they were trying to get it reduced. It won't be a problem for me as I have fast internet but could be for a lot of their patreons.
And I think you are right about the money thing but you need to ask you team if something is achievable or not. Telling people in december that alpha would be out in some days and then complete silence for couple of months and nothing to show for next 7 months doesn't make them look very good.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
Month 1 will be smaller than week 1 uncompressed

This is because a revision to stop using hardcode and instead using better coding methods to reference data instead of pinging for it every time you want to execute an action. Basically unfucking a massive amount of early game code, which itself was unfucked twice now...

That and everything will be light compressed, it has minimal drops in quality (Nobody can really tell unless they have a high enough def anyways), and saves a whole lot of room, like its one third the size. so anyone with reliable internet (Read: Not on DSL) will be able to download it within a matter of minutes to maybe an hour depending on how much your splurge on internet costs. Those with DSL are fucked always anyways, and shouldn't ever expect anything to go right for them, I know I never want to go back to that hell. I downloaded uncompressed ES on DSL and it took a fucking full day and multiple restarts lol

The point I'm making it with all the shit unfucked, the game gets smaller in file size. I'm pretty sure productivity moving forward, due to all the automations Latecomer has been putting into play, will also expedite since there's a good solid foundation to work from after. But that remains to be seen after Month 1 completes, which I'm impatient about yee.

As for why I'm still here doing this job? Simple, I don't owe anyone jack shit, but since I believe in Bluecat I want to at least protect the integrity of his work, even if he's not good at managing it. Beyond protecting that, I feel people are owed answers because not all of you are pirates, but you're here hoping that there's more info than on official channels. Therefore I'm doing what I can to provide those answers when I have them, and to sooth things over when I don't (I'm really bad at that cause I get mad easily :3).

That's pretty much it, protect Bluecat's integrity as a creator and inform you guys to the best of my ability since blue can't seem to formulate a way to do that-maybe I'm codling him and protecting him from having to? I unno. I might very well have saved him some patrons frankly, I'll never know.

I'm still sleepy, been cleaning my house and working and D&D...too much stuff crammed into just a few days I swear. Even sleeping makes me sleepy lol

Till next time!

Stay Sleepy, Stay Ecchi!

~Skummy Out

D1bacle

Mar 3, 2021
Just passing through with a little question, don't know about any of the drama going on behind this but uh...what DM patch do you install for week 3? Do I just use the day 20+21?

Barkley1981

Mar 29, 2020
from what i feel it maybe is better to just dump everything and build the game new from scratch. could be a shorter time than fixing the actual game ;) at least they have the renders ready :) a year without progress is normally a killing blow for a game. hope this wont happen in this game...

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Jeancul

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Incompetence can only go so far as a defense, at some point it has to be regarded as "willful ignorance" at best or "gross negligence" at worst. Also it's possible to scam people without malicious intent, and even perpetuate such a scam without recognizing it.

At this point it is best to just wait for them to clear this reprogram hurdle with the one benefit being that all new content will be on better framework and easier to merge.
Myself and others made the same arguments about "reprogramming for a better framework" during the W1 merge delay, and here we are again. At this point I think it's clear that progressing with the release of ES is just not a priority for BC. I'm not even talking about compared to the whole of his life. I'm saying that just within the limited scope of his priorities regarding ES, something or somethings are more important to him than release. Maybe he's super picky about the people he's willing to work with. Maybe his relationship with the main programmer (who is apparently still ill?) makes him reluctant to bring in a replacement, even temporarily. Maybe it's something largely outside of his control, like some sort of artistic OCD or an autism-spectrum condition. This doesn't mean he's not invested in the future of ES, just that he's unwilling or unable to take what I would consider reasonable steps to push for release.

Now, I'm not a patron so my perspective doesn't matter. And I legitimately can't fathom why people continue to patronize ES, so it's not reasonable to project my perspective onto them. Hell, it's even hard for me to fathom why people patronize anything to begin with, because there is no obligation whatsoever on the part of the creator. Which makes it even more unreasonable to project onto anyone who does patronize. All I can say is, if there are any patrons who think release is a high priority for BC & Co., IMO they are effectively being scammed. I would say they kind of deserve it at this point, because at this point they either haven't been paying attention or have been deceiving themselves, but one has to consider the sunk-cost fallacy and the fact that they may effectively be addicts jonesing for their next fix:

Kinda feeling like I stumbled into a crackhouse in the midst of an awful crack-shortage xD
(that was posted during the wait for D6 release...)

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
Just passing through with a little question, don't know about any of the drama going on behind this but uh...what DM patch do you install for week 3? Do I just use the day 20+21?
Yes

Does anyone know what bluecoat is stuck on with the game?
Based on what was posted to this thread after the last Patreon update the last thing they're working on is making the character bios work with the translation system. I didn't see anyone copy the actual patreon post to share here, and I'm not a patron myself so I don't know how reliable that info is. I also don't know why that would take over a month to do.

Also it's possible to scam people without malicious intent
Both by the meaning of the term and legal standards, it really isn't. "Scam" is effectively just a common word for "fraud" in which a person uses lies to profit without providing something of value in return. Unless Bluecat has come to a full stop on work and is just pocketing the money this isn't a scam.

Semantics

Apr 28, 2017
Incompetence can only go so far as a defense, at some point it has to be regarded as "willful ignorance" at best or "gross negligence" at worst. Also it's possible to scam people without malicious intent, and even perpetuate such a scam without recognizing it.
Both by the meaning of the term and legal standards, it really isn't. "Scam" is effectively just a common word for "fraud" in which a person uses lies to profit without providing something of value in return. Unless Bluecat has come to a full stop on work and is just pocketing the money this isn't a scam.
Somewhat true! By the non-legal definitions (My account name is Semantics, not Legalese, so I'm not touching that), a scam does need to have malicious intent behind it.

Buuuuuuut it can provide "something of value in return" and still be a scam. For instance, selling knock-off products as the real thing is scamming but does involve a product of some value in return. ...Just not the product or value the buyer was led to believe. Scams also don't need to specifically lying that you're providing something of value in return. Insurance fraud and various forms of account fraud would generally be considered scams too.

That said, all this misses the biggest issue. Even if this merge gets completed and released tomorrow, there will always be more setbacks and issues, more team members getting sick or quitting or any number of issues. Past a certain point, incompetence (It's almost certainly this one, there are far easier ways to scam than this) or scam makes no difference, because current patrons and potential patrons lose hope. And that's important, because Patreon is built on getting people to believe in your project and ability to complete it. There are certain devs who could release a new 0.1 and not get two patrons to rub together for their efforts because they've burned all good will. Bluecat isn't anywhere near there yet, but long delays while only posting non-content news every two months is a great way to get there eventually.

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
....Both by the meaning of the term and legal standards, it really isn't. "Scam" is effectively just a common word for "fraud" in which a person uses lies to profit without providing something of value in return. Unless Bluecat has come to a full stop on work and is just pocketing the money this isn't a scam.
Something can be labelled as a 'Scam' if something is promised but not delivered. Like if someone were to have grand ideas for a product and sell the idea to customers only for the end product to fall far short of their promises. The initial person could have nothing but good intentions but be without the ability, resources or knowledge to deliver on their ideas.

The the Guy

Jun 28, 2018
That said, all this misses the biggest issue. Even if this merge gets completed and released tomorrow, there will always be more setbacks and issues, more team members getting sick or quitting or any number of issues. Past a certain point, incompetence (It's almost certainly this one, there are far easier ways to scam than this) or scam makes no difference, because current patrons and potential patrons lose hope. And that's important, because Patreon is built on getting people to believe in your project and ability to complete it. There are certain devs who could release a new 0.1 and not get two patrons to rub together for their efforts because they've burned all good will. Bluecat isn't anywhere near there yet, but long delays while only posting non-content news every two months is a great way to get there eventually.
This is probably one of the best things I've heard. I like the game, wanted more, and want to give Bluecat some money but I just dont know if there will be any beta/alpha or something any time soon or if they can be trusted to get a product out. It also tells a good way to donate to patreons. If people constantly miss deadlines or cant give regular updates (ideally once a month and with evidence of progress) it's probably better to steer clear of them.

• Wow
Reactions: Jeancul

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
All I can say is, "scam" is an informal term, and assuming my view of the situation is correct (briefly, that BC is less driven to produce a release than patrons believe he is or expect him to be) I think it's wholly appropriate. Generally, I consider any financial relationship where the intentions of the receiver(s) aren't in alignment with the expectations of the contributor(s) potentially deserving of the label.

At the same time I'm fully aware that, as someone who doesn't really buy into the idea of Patreon, I may be inappropriately projecting onto those who do. Or at least, onto those who continue to patronize BC.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
All I can say is, "scam" is an informal term, and assuming my view of the situation is correct (briefly, that BC is less driven to produce a release than patrons believe he is or expect him to be) I think it's wholly appropriate. Generally, I consider any financial relationship where the intentions of the receiver(s) aren't in alignment with the expectations of the contributor(s) potentially deserving of the label.

At the same time I'm fully aware that, as someone who doesn't really buy into the idea of Patreon, I may be inappropriately projecting onto those who do. Or at least, onto those who continue to patronize BC.
Well, the socially agreed upon definition of scam is "A dishonest scheme," so intent matters when most people are using the term. If people start using their own definitions for words, communication becomes more difficult. I see this a lot when people insist upon their own definitions of netorare, scam, and such.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Well, the socially agreed upon definition of scam is "A dishonest scheme," so intent matters when most people are using the term. If people start using their own definitions for words, communication becomes more difficult. I see this a lot when people insist upon their own definitions of netorare, scam, and such.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
And the thing is, even with your socially agreed upon definition the term is still appropriate in my mind, because I don't believe dishonesty necessarily implies intent do deceive. Delving into that would take us down a philosophical and etymological rabbit hole though.

All I can do is apologize for any confusion I caused, and keep this in mind the next time someone uses a term in a way that's unfamiliar to me.

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes