Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
But that doesn't mean my moral compass is always pointing south. All I'm asking is you're going to make a joke, please make sure it's funny. And can't be taken as misinformation, and potentially ruin people.
The issue is that humor and jokes are subjective. We've seen how some dislike jokes and wish for retribution, look at Dave Chapelle's "backlash" for his stand-up comedy show 'The Closer' and even Chris Rock's joke attempt at the Oscar's.
Simply because a joke isn't funny "to you" is by no means a true statement of fact for others.
Not condoning anything being said about Skummy or even BC, but if people are overly sensitive on a joke, then it's more indicative on character of those offended than the (awful) joke.

A Common Crab

Dec 15, 2018
I hate to burst the weird narrative bubble that y'all created in your head but....
If Bluecat could speak english nearly as well as Skummy, we would have had updates much sooner. The whole problem to begin with was that Bluecat needed a translator and didn't want to use MTL or did y'all just conveniently forget that? I'm not defending Bluecat but Skummy's right, y'all create some weird ass scenarios in that head of yours. So instead of creating false scenarios in your head... Do something productive with that creativity of yours and make a VN yourself.
He likely could've actually learned fucking english by this point, what you on about lmao?

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
He likely could've actually learned fucking english by this point, what you on about lmao?
I'm pretty sure he speaks English or at least can write it.
From what I've gathered he's either German or Austrian.
English is taught here from kindergarten upwards.
If he can't speak or write it then he failed school miserably.

A Common Crab

Dec 15, 2018
And even if he did fail miserably there's the option of five minutes of duolingo every day. It has been two years by now, that's a lot of five minutes!

Wafflewaffuru

Feb 10, 2021
there's a difference between learning enough to get by (which is what they teach in germany, my best friend from germany was taught english. but he cannot speak it naturally or as fluently as a native speaker). He can speak and understand it just fine, but it's still broken english in comparison to a fluent english speaker. Not to mention if he could speak it that well, he would have no need for a translator.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
Bluecat's from Austria, I'm a tooth missing hillbilly in the mountains of West Virginia in the US, thanks for the defense. It's not really a joke, a lot of people tend to think that and bring it up now and again.

A joke, loosely speaking, is me poking fun at the West Virginia stereotype, despite it technically being true in my case as I am indeed missing four teeth and the rest are mostly reconstructions. However, I can also speak better than your average native speaker, I'm more educated (three degrees that are worthless, but hey I earned them!), and I'm not high as shit on meth, opiods, or drunk off my ass on moonshine.

On the other hand, I like being barefooted or wearing as little in the way of shoes generally, and I can sometimes slip into that kind of accent you picture in your head when I'm talking to the right people. Juxtaposition is a delightful thing yah know?

I'm going back to lurk, just thought I'd pop in and share some info because relevancy and I like to share those tidbits.

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
there's a difference between learning enough to get by (which is what they teach in germany, my best friend from germany was taught english. but he cannot speak it naturally or as fluently as a native speaker). He can speak and understand it just fine, but it's still broken english in comparison to a fluent english speaker. Not to mention if he could speak it that well, he would have no need for a translator.
I don't know if you've ever actually read any of the patreon posts or BlueCat's own posts here but calling it "broken English" is disingenuous to how actually well written it actually is. This is why I've said in the past that his written well enough to the point I didn't see why he couldn't just translate the script himself if needed. I think it's BlueCat's, Skummy's or whoever else's (wherever it came from) agenda that pushes this broken English BS when you can read it for yourself and see it not even close to the definition of broken English.

Trying to state that Skummy was Bluecat in disguise when Bluecat can't speak a speck of proper english. That's inane. Joke or not. It's what causes misinformation. That kind of thing can really hurt people. I'm not a fan of bluecat's.
I don't think Skummy is BlueCat and people refer to it here as a joke and I guess people who haven't been around long enough to see it end up taking it another way. That's fine, it is what it is but on the topic if misinformation hopefully you take your own advice here when it comes to Bluecat's apparent broken English that reads extremely well for broken English.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
not even close to the definition of broken English.
Does it have an agreed upon definition though? I avoid using the phrase because I think it's too often intended and/or interpreted pejoratively, but if I were asked to define it I'd say it's anything other than native fluency.

huge43

Jul 2, 2017
I hate to burst the weird narrative bubble that y'all created in your head but....
If Bluecat could speak english nearly as well as Skummy, we would have had updates much sooner. The whole problem to begin with was that Bluecat needed a translator and didn't want to use MTL or did y'all just conveniently forget that? I'm not defending Bluecat but Skummy's right, y'all create some weird ass scenarios in that head of yours. So instead of creating false scenarios in your head... Do something productive with that creativity of yours and make a VN yourself.
Oh dear, humour bypass! Y'all seem to ignore/forget/be ignorant of the fact, the "problem" throughout is lazy developing, lazy communications, and lies, y'hear, y'all? Y'all should understand, the translator shit y'all go on about, was a side-shitshow put out to throw y'all off the track of the true problem - seems y'all bought it; the rest of us didn't. As to y'all's final comment, evidently we'all need to be "creators" to criticise? Y'all clearly must be talented on all topics, subjects, debates, cause clearly y'all are woke busy telling us'all we are wrong to have any.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to Coldplay and their song, Y'all'r..........can't think why

turgsh01

Apr 13, 2020
Future reference for anyone looking for answers...
Full 16.6GB version of week 1 being the ridiculous size that it is may not appeal to everyone, so I experimented with the compressed versions and came to the conclusion that the Light compressed 4.3GB version should be an acceptable quality with only a subtle difference to the original. Heavy compressed 1.5GB unfortunately is very poor quality (blurry, grainy and blotchy colors), might be intended for someone with a tiny screen (≤ 17 inch) or someone who doesn't care about quality at all.
My test was done on a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, your opinion / experience might be a little different to mine depending on setup.
I hope this helps someone. Also scroll down a few posts for an objective render size comparison of different versions.

Last edited:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Hey guys, trying this game out for the first time... would love to know ppl's opinion on if there's a large visual difference between the light and heavy compressed versions for week 1 cuz the full version file size seems a bit ridiculous to me compared to week 2 and 3. Would the heavy compressed look similar to week 2 and 3? I don't normally download compressed, but I think in this case I should make an exception.
Not gonna speak to visual comparison, but here's something a bit more objective:

Avg size of a selection of .pngs in W1 light compressed171 kB
Avg size of same selection of .pngs in W1 heavy compressed33 kB
Avg size of similar selection of .pngs in W2 official207 kB

The W1 uncompressed release was something of an anomaly IIRC. I want to say the images were an uncommonly high resolution, but I'm not certain. In any case you shouldn't compare it to the compressed versions like you would compare other games' official release to compressed versions.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 145 Votes