VN Ren'Py Elite Garden [Ep.3] [A&K Studio]

4.30 star(s) 49 Votes

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I get the following when I hit start:

Full traceback:
File "script.rpyc", line 88, in script
File "/run/media/woogie/ssd/games/EliteGarden-_1.0-pc/renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/run/media/woogie/ssd/games/EliteGarden-_1.0-pc/renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/script.rpy", line 88, in <module>
File "game/phone.rpy", line 324, in add_convo_history
current_text_conversation = parse_conversation(game_path + "/phone/conversations/" + conversation_name + ".convo")
File "game/phone.rpy", line 130, in parse_conversation
convert_conversation_labels(convo)
File "game/phone.rpy", line 82, in convert_conversation_labels
raw_conversation = (raw_conversation[0], label_to_index[raw_conversation[1]], raw_conversation[2], raw_conversation[3])
KeyError: ''

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 88, in <module>
File "game/phone.rpy", line 324, in add_convo_history
current_text_conversation = parse_conversation(game_path + "/phone/conversations/" + conversation_name + ".convo")
File "game/phone.rpy", line 130, in parse_conversation
convert_conversation_labels(convo)
File "game/phone.rpy", line 82, in convert_conversation_labels
raw_conversation = (raw_conversation[0], label_to_index[raw_conversation[1]], raw_conversation[2], raw_conversation[3])
KeyError: ''
Yeah. It was broken for start. I did fix that also in another post I made.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Not a bad start. There are a few bits that fell flat, but overall I think there's some real potential here.

On the plus side, I really liked the dynamic between the siblings. The characters were fun to watch and did come across as close-knit trio. Fred is a nice take on the classic wingman and Arianne could be great if the devs stick to their (apparent) guns and keep her in the older sister role. We even get a nice portrayal of a busy-but-loving mom. There's a lot of interesting, rarely seen stuff we could explore if the devs are so inclined. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The rest of the cast seems workable as well. The LIs are all good looking, well written with some snappy dialog, and we get at a least a sense of who they are and were their arcs might lead. I'd be happy to get to know them more as the story continues. The plot is rather basic so far and the villains are entirely unremarkable, but there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple - especially early on. Tropes are tools, as they say.

There are a few things that make me nervous though. The MC constantly hitting on the receptionist got old fast, especially since she's the only one he seems to treat that way. The 'mysterious, emotionally scarring ex-girlfriend' routine always makes me nervous. It is to AVNs what Vietnam flashbacks were to 80s movies: sometimes effective, but more often a misguided attempt to inject pathos into a story that has no place for it. I hope this will be one of the rare exceptions that makes good use of it.

I also though Kiara's path progression was way too fast. The idea of the child of privilege who doubts her own worth is entirely workable, and I'd even be willing to stick with the old fake-boyfriend act as a way to get to know her (though the setup could have used another scene or two). But there's no way she's passionately kissing the MC after spending on the order of 6 hours in his presence, much less sleeping half-naked next to him. Conversely, I was very disappointed that if we don't kiss her the scene ends almost immediately with no chance to built a platonic rapport with Kiara. I don't know if this was a concession to get some T&A into the opening or what, but IMHO it was a mistake. If this game isn't intended to be a simple sex-fest, it's okay to go a single episode focused on characterization and intimacy without showing us some titties.

That's my take any way. Good luck going forward, I'll keep an eye out for future updates.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
We planned for 10 eps because it's a good enough number to tell a story with an ending. If we don't get support, at least, we can still push for a proper finish.

That said, MC is in his first year, so yes, there is potential for a longer story if somehow, we are lucky and the game has good support for us to go longer. For me, it's easier to add story line than take or shorten them out.
Music to my ears. I'm really happy that the dev (especially a new one) isn't too overly ambitious with the game length. 500% agree that it's good to keep your options open in a way that you can add story. It's also possible for you to finish in 10 episodes, and then add a "season 2" with new main plot while also adding continuation of some things from before (ex: let's say the team won the football championship in season 1, so now they're the defending champion for season 2 which might affect how someone like Coach Lorrie behaves).

Definitely looking forward to how things will go from here on.

Oct 17, 2020
Not gonna lie, I really feckin like this game so far. Especially with the different spin of 3 siblings all attending the same place at the same time.

Also, I really like the characters themselves, especially the MC, it's different; a LOT different from various other VNs with the same MC model, and I really appreciate the fact that the MC himself, for example, even has a lil scar on his lip, and the other models aren't all 110% pure-plastic-lookin-barbie-prefection, ya know? It makes it a tad bit more believable that they actually have some backstories and a history.

I'm REALLY looking forward to a LOT of future updates from this story. And, I mean, like stated before.. It's only first year, so there is the possibility of a continuation in the future. (Which, might I add, fuckin brilliant idea lolol)

Good luck n keep goin, devs. Love it:cool:

Amor_10

Mar 13, 2021
Loved the game as it builds the characters beautifully. Can't wait to see how the story moves forward in the upcoming updates. Hopefully we will get monthly updates.

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
That slow ass transition between images its beyond annoying and stupid.
edit Good game though, i finished the version now, hopefully no more of above in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: bacienvu88

rdmsvg

Jun 29, 2022
That slow ass transition between images its beyond annoying and stupid.
edit Good game though, i finished the version now, hopefully no more of above in the future.
What prevents you from enabling skipping transitions in the settings? Is it easier to write a negative comment?

Reactions: dacris69

Klaes Ashford

Jun 4, 2020
Wow, awesome first episode, this looks promising enough to be a great vn.
I had no choice, but to subscribe.
The only downside though is that the best girl is his sister :cry:
yeah, this, 100%. I mean, I'm definitely in for the long haul, will probably even hit the Patreon, but god damn if Ari isn't the perfect girl. Kentyrr and Stoya did this to me with Tara in CS as well. Very similar facial features between them and it's the one primary girl you can't romance. fml

JohnnyR6

Jul 1, 2017
yeah, this, 100%. I mean, I'm definitely in for the long haul, will probably even hit the Patreon, but god damn if Ari isn't the perfect girl. Kentyrr and Stoya did this to me with Tara in CS as well. Very similar facial features between them and it's the one primary girl you can't romance. fml
I couldn't agree more. The other girls a just a bit meh compared to Ari... and making her not a LI just doesn't make sense.

Milkman69

Nov 2, 2017
I couldn't agree more. The other girls a just a bit meh compared to Ari... and making her not a LI just doesn't make sense.
Lol you're gonna have a wholesome supportive, non sexual relationship with your sister and you're gonna like it!

But yeah it's just a nice change of pace to see a non incest game. Seriously the genre is over represented to an almost annoying degree. So refreshing to see a game where the MC isn't acting like a creep, perving on his sister and mom.

(Although tbh I'd also be into the normal creepy / perv MC dynamic being disrupted in the opposite direction as well. IE it would be fun to see games where it's the girls (family or otherwise) that are being lustfully creepy / boundary pushing perverts towards the MC...)

But yeah the MC lusting after his female relatives and actively scheming his way into their pants has been done to death so I welcome this departure from the norm.

The MC having a healthy relationship with his brother is also a shocking anomaly for these sorts of games but I suppose it's only possible because said brother isn't NTR competition for your Mom and sister's pussies. Hell with such a wholesome non sexual family dynamic MC could have potentially even had a dad in the picture... But oh well. Maybe next game.

Lol so many games need to kill off the dad (and male relatives in general) / or otherwise get them outta the picture so that they don't pose an incestuous NTR threat...

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Question - I see the back and forth about incest so I will try not to linger long with this - does anyone have some clear pics of the sister? I saw the one comment on page 1 that she's the one in the far right pic that's blurry making it tough to compare. I basically just want to know who's who so that if I don't consider her all that attractive compared to the other LIs the lack of incest won't be an issue, and if it is, I'll just show myself out and not be a further bother. :)

Thanks much in advance.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
Question - I see the back and forth about incest so I will try not to linger long with this - does anyone have some clear pics of the sister? I saw the one comment on page 1 that she's the one in the far right pic that's blurry making it tough to compare. I basically just want to know who's who so that if I don't consider her all that attractive compared to the other LIs the lack of incest won't be an issue, and if it is, I'll just show myself out and not be a further bother. :)

Thanks much in advance.
screenshot0001.png

4.30 star(s) 49 Votes