3.70 star(s) 27 Votes
Dec 9, 2017
Keeping it forever in a test room to me is weird, too. I already mentioned here that rpg maker games offer everything rpg maker devs need to put together a healthy working game. No idea why would their games don't work. They must be completely ignoring all youtube guides, thousands of guides, lol. They don't have to learn programming and design a new bicycle.

No, we don't have to move, we can stop here. I only explain why I find it weird.
Most games in RPGM use scripts, if you only used what's available in the RPGM toolkit then your game would be kind of trash tbh

Reactions: TheByQ and yudas51

Frosty92

May 12, 2017
Most games in RPGM use scripts, if you only used what's available in the RPGM toolkit then your game would be kind of trash tbh
And what scripts do you need? Can you give an example? Default switches and variables are used for almost everything (movement, teleportation, talking, appearing, disappearing, hurting, healing, cursing, curing, changing, e v e r y t h i n g b r u h).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: DrDerpington
Dec 9, 2017
And what scripts do you need? Can you give an example? Default switches and variables are used for almost everything (movement, teleportation, talking, appearing, disappearing, hurting, healing, cursing, curing, changing, e v e r y t h i n g b r u h).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I know a great deal about events, I've created games in 4 different versions of RPGM over the years >.>
A serious developer will write their own scripts, but there are several excellent ones publicly available under a variety of licenses from well known coders such as Yanfly.

For instance you may wish to use a different battle system besides the basic turn based combat, or implement complex minigames, or create modular equipment, or a quest log, or change sprites under certain conditions, or have multi-stage battles, or countless other sorts of quality of life enhancements.

Yes you can technically make a game without scripting, but it will inevitably end up looking like amateur garbage.

Reactions: TheByQ and Kuronius

Frosty92

May 12, 2017
I know a great deal about events, I've created games in 4 different versions of RPGM over the years >.>
A serious developer will write their own scripts, but there are several excellent ones publicly available under a variety of licenses from well known coders such as Yanfly.

For instance you may wish to use a different battle system besides the basic turn based combat, or implement complex minigames, or create modular equipment, or a quest log, or change sprites under certain conditions, or have multi-stage battles, or countless other sorts of quality of life enhancements.

Yes you can technically make a game without scripting, but it will inevitably end up looking like amateur garbage.
If this is true, then manga, digital novels and hentai animation must be boring garbage, too. You believe that good characters, a good story can't make a good game. Then, probably, everyone should move to Pixel Game Maker MV or Unity, right? Do you you know that some people hate puzzles and minigames? Why are you so confident that everyone care about everything that is in your list? Btw, why books exist, have you ever thought about it? And, please, do not use the word "serious". We are all casual here. Serious people work to deadlines and on continuous improvement. We don't have it here. RPGM projects can be delayed indefinitely.

And about projects- so, do you think Era need a different battle system??? Era need minigames to keep their patrons??? A modular equipment to survive at Patreon?? A quest log to survive at Patreon? Special sprites to survive at Patreon?? They should apply multi-stage battles to satisfy patrons? Btw, their patrons are hanging there without any real updates for a year. Probably, waiting for a special sprite...

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020
I thought they just forgot to cancel their subscriptions?
I must say they are very rich to forgot about it, or Dev promised them that this update will be massive to convince all of them to giving money for an entire year without a doubt. Either way I'm impressed with their patience

Dec 9, 2017
If this is true, then manga, digital novels and hentai animation must be boring garbage, too. You believe that good characters, a good story can't make a good game. Then, probably, everyone should move to Pixel Game Maker MV or Unity, right? Do you you know that some people hate puzzles and minigames? Why are you so confident that everyone care about everything that is in your list? Btw, why books exist, have you ever thought about it? And, please, do not use the word "serious". We are all casual here. Serious people work to deadlines and on continuous improvement. We don't have it here. RPGM projects can be delayed indefinitely.

And about projects- so, do you think Era need a different battle system??? Era need minigames to keep their patrons??? A modular equipment to survive at Patreon?? A quest log to survive at Patreon? Special sprites to survive at Patreon?? They should apply multi-stage battles to satisfy patrons? Btw, their patrons are hanging there without any real updates for a year. Probably, waiting for a special sprite...
Manga and hentai animations aren't even games, they're closer to a movie. VNs are on a spectrum from game to something else, they're a unique category. For making a VN you'd want to use something purpose built like Renpy, rather than trying to use RPGM. If you wanted to make RPGM work well for a polished VN then you would probably need some good scripts to change the UI significantly.

Some of my favorite works are VNs, like Monster Girl Quest, Song of Saya, etc. So obviously those are great works, but they use purpose built engines, rather than trying to force RPGM to do something it isn't designed for.
You can make RPGM do anything if you employ scripting, but without scripting it's basically just a toy for hobbyists. There's nothing wrong with hobbyists, that's how most game devs start, but RPGM isn't a fully fledged engine without the use of scripts. Without scripting any game made in RPGM is going to look amateurish.

Most of what I've seen in Era doesn't obviously use scripting, but there could be a lot of things under the hood using scripts.
For quests to work correctly in VX Ace the easiest way to handle quests or events which required a certain other event to be completed was to either use scripts or create a quest item which would be visible to the player. This is easier to handle in MV, which is one of the best improvements they made imo.
Also it doesn't use Ruby anymore, which is a definite improvement. Nobody uses Ruby, it's a terrible language.

Some scripts exist purely for making some things possible through events easier. It's hard to know for sure if the dev was using scripts without asking, but I would assume so with how long porting the game took. The sprites and art would need to be resized, but that wouldn't take nearly as much work as porting custom scripts.

Reactions: Kuronius

The killing Goku

Oct 20, 2019
Manga and hentai animations aren't even games, they're closer to a movie. VNs are on a spectrum from game to something else, they're a unique category. For making a VN you'd want to use something purpose built like Renpy, rather than trying to use RPGM. If you wanted to make RPGM work well for a polished VN then you would probably need some good scripts to change the UI significantly.

Some of my favorite works are VNs, like Monster Girl Quest, Song of Saya, etc. So obviously those are great works, but they use purpose built engines, rather than trying to force RPGM to do something it isn't designed for.
You can make RPGM do anything if you employ scripting, but without scripting it's basically just a toy for hobbyists. There's nothing wrong with hobbyists, that's how most game devs start, but RPGM isn't a fully fledged engine without the use of scripts. Without scripting any game made in RPGM is going to look amateurish.

Most of what I've seen in Era doesn't obviously use scripting, but there could be a lot of things under the hood using scripts.
For quests to work correctly in VX Ace the easiest way to handle quests or events which required a certain other event to be completed was to either use scripts or create a quest item which would be visible to the player. This is easier to handle in MV, which is one of the best improvements they made imo.
Also it doesn't use Ruby anymore, which is a definite improvement. Nobody uses Ruby, it's a terrible language.

Some scripts exist purely for making some things possible through events easier. It's hard to know for sure if the dev was using scripts without asking, but I would assume so with how long porting the game took. The sprites and art would need to be resized, but that wouldn't take nearly as much work as porting custom scripts.
The best thing about MV, aside from the whole ditching Ruby in favor of JS thing, is the proper plug'n play nature of the plugin system. Pretty much a given, seeing as how JS is an interpreted scripting language that doesn't need building, but still.
I can get a script, hook that script into the plugins.js file & w/o rebuilding the whole game (or needing to buy the engine editor) I can add features.

Ain't the first time I use that trick to add a 'hide txtbox' feature that way.

Reactions: Captain Wet Beard
Dec 9, 2017

Dude, I was pretty clear that I like every genre you listed, I even named examples >_>
Any VM or animated manga/ hentai using RPGM without scipts is trash. How many use RPGM without scripts tho? They all use in shop engines or Renpy for the most part don't they? Give me literally 1 example of one coded in RPGM without scripts. I don't even need a list, just literally one.
You can't because not even one quality example of any of those were made in RPGM without scripts.
Quit playing around, we all know I'm right here. Idk why you're so mad, this isn't even a controversial take among people who have actually used the engine >.>

Look, it's cool if you have an opinion without having ever actually created anything yourself in your entire life, but some of us have actually walked the walk and know a bit more on this topic than you do. I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe try actually making a game before you try to lecture the old guard...
Consider this a wake up call that some of us have been using some of these engines for 15+ years and might know a thing or two more than you.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017
The best thing about MV, aside from the whole ditching Ruby in favor of JS thing, is the proper plug'n play nature of the plugin system. Pretty much a given, seeing as how JS is an interpreted scripting language that doesn't need building, but still.
I can get a script, hook that script into the plugins.js file & w/o rebuilding the whole game (or needing to buy the engine editor) I can add features.

MV is worlds above VX Ace. I completely recoded one of my games to make the transition which was painful but worth. It's also super fucking easy to do cross platform releases with MV, whereas it was a fucking nightmare in VX Ace.

The killing Goku

Oct 20, 2019
MV is worlds above VX Ace. I completely recoded one of my games to make the transition which was painful but worth. It's also super fucking easy to do cross platform releases with MV, whereas it was a fucking nightmare in VX Ace.
Well, in this case I was commenting not as a creator, but as an end user.
Sure I've messed about with the VX Ace editor on existing games, usually to check out the 'NullRef' BS on MTL's, but that's as far as I've gone really.

But for some stupid reason, the Ero RPGM creators haven't figured out yet that the very first script you actually need ... is the 'hide textbox' script. MV lets me add that easily and effectively w/o the editor.
VX Ace ... yeah ... ain't happ'ning with their funky file format there huh. Messing in the build output straight up just doesn't work.

Now ... I've no doubt that there will be relevant generational leaps between the various iterations of RPGM. So I'd indeed expect the jump to MV to be offering plenty of advantages to creators. Especially if you've already got a license for the old engine, they gotta entice you to buy the new license somehow right. :LOL:
Though I'm not a creator, so I can't really comment on what those advantages might be. I currently don't have the engine editor app either, so haven't seen the diff between VX Ace & MV.

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017

The worst thing about MV is that devs can't optimize shit, i still remember playing Farmer Dreams in unstable 20fps on old but still decent machine, i got about the same frame rate in Witcher 3 on lowest possible settings.

The killing Goku

Oct 20, 2019
The worst thing about MV is that devs can't optimize shit, i still remember playing Farmer Dreams in unstable 20fps on old but still decent machine, i got about the same frame rate in Witcher 3 on lowest possible settings.
Have to say I ain't got any issues with that so far. I'm always playing on this laptop here and it's now like 7+ years old I guess.
Oh how time flies, it still feels like yesterday when I got this thing.

Anyway ... never had any performance issues on RPGM or WolfRPG stuff. Not like they should be demanding games too ya know, it's just pixel gfx.

It was a bomb when I bought it though, best of the rest and quite expensive. So those machines tend to last longer.
Though, in today's consumer society I guess 7 yrs is actually ancient. But just like my phone, I'm not willing to spend 1000's every year on new hardware. :sneaky:

Frosty92

May 12, 2017

Ok, we can take common sense and completely throw it out of window. Do you really think that I buy GeForce cards to run EraHunter at smooth 60 fps? Then I disagree that RPGM games are real games. To me all this funny hentai stuff is a joke. Some artists are good and I don't mind to support them, but that's about it. If anything, I like when multiple choices are available. No, I don't need all your minigames and special quest log (pin ez shining spot effects and your game should be foolproof). If you are creative enough, you don't need a single script.
shine.png
If you want to flex, then I'm playing with Blender right now. Still scripting in RPGM in 2021??? :D

Dude, I was pretty clear that I like every genre you listed, I even named examples >_>
Any VM or animated manga/ hentai using RPGM without scipts is trash. How many use RPGM without scripts tho? They all use in shop engines or Renpy for the most part don't they? Give me literally 1 example of one coded in RPGM without scripts. I don't even need a list, just literally one.
You can't because not even one quality example of any of those were made in RPGM without scripts.
Quit playing around, we all know I'm right here. Idk why you're so mad, this isn't even a controversial take among people who have actually used the engine >.>

Look, it's cool if you have an opinion without having ever actually created anything yourself in your entire life, but some of us have actually walked the walk and know a bit more on this topic than you do. I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe try actually making a game before you try to lecture the old guard...
Consider this a wake up call that some of us have been using some of these engines for 15+ years and might know a thing or two more than you.
It's free choice to use scrips or not. IMO, scripts fix poor creativity. :p

I hope you understand that you defend people who use scripts as an excuse to delay production for years. No matter how you defend them, it's bs.

I won't give you my private information, so this looks like a dead end. Bruh.

Dec 9, 2017
Ok, we can take common sense and completely throw it out of window. Do you really think that I buy GeForce cards to run EraHunter at smooth 60 fps? Then I disagree that RPGM games are real games. To me all this funny hentai stuff is a joke. Some artists are good and I don't mind to support them, but that's about it. If anything, I like when multiple choices are available. No, I don't need all your minigames and special quest log (pin ez shining spot effects and your game should be foolproof). If you are creative enough, you don't need a single script.
View attachment 1197831
If you want to flex, then I'm playing with Blender right now. Still scripting in RPGM in 2021??? :D

It's free choice to use scrips or not. IMO, scripts fix poor creativity. :p

I hope you understand that you defend people who use scripts as an excuse to delay production for years. No matter how you defend them, it's bs.

I won't give you my private information, so this looks like a dead end. Bruh.
VNs are games in the same way that a choose your own adventure book is a game. In some ways yes it sort of is, but in other ways it's something else. I'd argue that VNs require a lot more creative effort than a game does, because a game can get by on well designed mechanics.

Blender is pretty cool, I've been playing around with it since the 1st version released. I still script in RPGM MV occasionally, but I've been working more with Godot and Renpy lately. If you like VNs, I highly recommend giving Renpy a try.

Scripts don't just fix poor creativity, the lack of scripts just show a lack of coding prowess. Using scripts as a substitute for eventing is also dumb, and it's less necessary in MV than it was in previous versions of the engine, but it's still pretty necessary for anything you make as more than a hobby.
Making your own art is also technically optional, but most people aren't going to play a game that primarily uses the art that comes with the engine.

Reactions: EdgeOfShadow
3.70 star(s) 27 Votes