Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
And why it is hilarious?
While I can't speak for them I imagine it is the fact that given the file is open source, anyone with the knowledge could check the files themselves to see if there's anything malicious. So we are all collectively confessing our ignorance (or laziness) by not checking.

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
While I can't speak for them I imagine it is the fact that given the file is open source, anyone with the knowledge could check the files themselves to see if there's anything malicious. So we are all collectively confessing our ignorance (or laziness) by not checking.
Ignorance? I am coder with specilization on C#, Python and JavaScript, I can check for myself. Majority of people can't. And it's strange to expect them to do it, because it's the same to as to expect everybody being good at medicine, law, or beign able to draw and sing perfectly. The amount of knowledge that humanity help is way too big for everyone to be able to do everything, which leads to the existence of specialization. Well, even among IT not everyone is able to read others people code fast as well as there is people who use programming language wastly different syntax (mostly among serious sciencist) who maybe never worked with Git or decompiled .exe ever, are they also ignorant?

And there is plenty of cases of Open Source projects being compromised, sometimes very popular ones.

Reactions: FruitSmoothie

Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
Ignorance? I am coder with specilization on C#, Python and JavaScript, I can check for myself. Majority of people can't. And it's strange to expect them to do it, because it's the same to as to expect everybody being good at medicine, law, or beign able to draw and sing perfectly. The amount of knowledge that humanity help is way too big for everyone to be able to do everything, which leads to the existence of specialization. Well, even among IT not everyone is able to read others people code fast as well as there is people who use programming language wastly different syntax (mostly among serious sciencist) who maybe never worked with Git or decompiled .exe ever, are they also ignorant?

And there is plenty of cases of Open Source projects being compromised, sometimes very popular ones.
If you do not know about a topic you are ignorant of it so yes a scientist who has never worked with a git or a decompiled .exe before would be ignorant on the subject of git and decompiled .exe.
I'm not sure if you misinterpreted my initial response speculating as to what another user might be on about as being some attack on the intellectual character of the people here or an assertion in the belief in said position myself, but there is no shame in admitting ignorance on a given topic. I know fuck all about coding nor do I pretend to which is why I don't make any claim to know for sure if the files are safe.

Sorry I somehow mislead you into believing that I was asserting that ignorance of a specific topic is the same as being ignorant in general. Hope this clarified my position on ignorance a little and made clear that I do not agree with the views that I believe the other user was professing it was just me trying to interpret there post because you had specifically asked what they may have meant.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Sorry I somehow mislead you into believing that I was asserting that ignorance of a specific topic is the same as being ignorant in general. Hope this clarified my position on ignorance a little and made clear that I do not agree with the views that I believe the other user was professing it was just me trying to interpret there post because you had specifically asked what they may have meant.
Bro, in short, you wasted this dude's time. Don't cut into a confrontation next time.

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
i just read the previous stuff.
could somone give a link from before their was potential miner stuff
There was never a miner, at least not since I playing this game. One of translators put inside the folder miner.dll file that makes nothing as a joke.
And yeah, anchor for translation is spying on you, but it's needed to make it functional. I have no idea why sometimes it's detected as a virus and sometimes not.

sil12345

Mar 8, 2020
There was never a miner, at least not since I playing this game. One of translators put inside the folder miner.dll file that makes nothing as a joke.
And yeah, anchor for translation is spying on you, but it's needed to make it functional. I have no idea why sometimes it's detected as a virus and sometimes not.
how does it spy on you?

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
how does it spy on you?
When you ran anchor alongside of Translator Agreggator it's checking what is inside of your clipboard, reads some files in the game folders and monitores keypresses and sends info into translation servers (mostly throught approved API). So pretty common stuff for such programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seamonkey

Aava

Jun 11, 2019
So, there's no virus at all, just a "miner" joke and the necessity of the anchor to access the clipboard which some antivirus softwares detect as maliciously spying malware?

Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
So, there's no virus at all, just a "miner" joke and the necessity of the anchor to access the clipboard which some antivirus softwares detect as maliciously spying malware?
As far as anyone here knows yes. Obviously can't be a hundred percent sure.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
As far as anyone here knows yes. Obviously can't be a hundred percent sure.
You can say that with anything you download though, especially pirated products. Just exercise caution like you would any other download.

Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
You can say that with anything you download though, especially pirated products. Just exercise caution like you would any other download.
I am aware. I just prefer adding the bit at the end because encouraging people to ignore virus reports even if we have reason to believe they are likely mistaken does not sit well with me in principle.
As you said as long as people are cautious and they show due diligence it should be fine.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I just got back into playing TW. Anyone know how to best farm exposure XP? Trying to go for the Masturbation Addiction achievement before I do a NewGame+ to see new content.

Crimsonmedb

Feb 28, 2018
Is there a way to download it? As all my browsers won't let me install it has they say it is dangerous.

FrogFrozen

Jan 9, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also, about the spyware/miner/whatever. I've been looking at the Era anons discussing it and they're actually pulling their hairs out over it, too. Trying to figure out how to get it to stop identifying a simple clip-board function as spyware. They even got the exe signed and it's still triggering false-positives. There really isn't a virus or anything, most AV's are just stupid.

The only actually offensive thing I think I've ever seen them do in the files is that time they plastered the N-Word all over one of the Kancolle era games.

Reactions: Vurado
4.40 star(s) 24 Votes