bolenart

Jun 17, 2017
Another point on the earnings discussion, given how irregular it is to have your income through Patreon, I wouldn't be surprised if creators have to pay for tax lawyers to help them. Also if it was a regular business you would be able to write off the costs related to buying equipment, assets, legal advice etc. and pay taxes on just the profit, but again because it's such an unusual situation I would expect that you have to either spend time and money fighting the tax agency or take the easy way out and just pay more taxes than you're obliged to.

Add to that how unreliable the earnings are, when fans come and go and where a change in Patreon ToS could ruin you financially, and you'd want to be paid a premium to be an AVN creator.

bitofaperv

Dec 20, 2022
Another point on the earnings discussion, given how irregular it is to have your income through Patreon, I wouldn't be surprised if creators have to pay for tax lawyers to help them. Also if it was a regular business you would be able to write off the costs related to buying equipment, assets, legal advice etc. and pay taxes on just the profit, but again because it's such an unusual situation I would expect that you have to either spend time and money fighting the tax agency or take the easy way out and just pay more taxes than you're obliged to.

Add to that how unreliable the earnings are, when fans come and go and where a change in Patreon ToS could ruin you financially, and you'd want to be paid a premium to be an AVN creator.
It's kind of like playing a sport professionally - you're at the mercy of injury and rule changes. It could all get flushed down the toilet so quickly.

Especially with using Honey Select. Yeah, it's extremely low cost to get going, but you can only earn through donations. At least with Daz you can sell legitimately. Which is a shame, because I prefer the non-realistic HS2 look to the plastic dolls in most Daz stuff. Too much uncanny valley.

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
I wouldn't call earning more than 10k/month a "hobby":
Caribdis himself gets like 20k clean (avg 29k minus 20% VAT and minus 5% patreon).
Patreon takes more than 5%, it’s 8% + transaction fees.

which are something like 2.9% and a flat fee of like 30 cents depending on the amount. (Off the top of my dome)

Reactions: sexypeanut

doovel

Nov 13, 2023

Yeah, these are all good points. And it’s much harder to start working a normal job again if you’ve been doing AVNs for years.

So it’s a high-risk, small chance of high-reward scenario. I imagine he could make a pretty penny by selling it on Steam.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I imagine he could make a pretty penny by selling it on Steam.
Not right now, no.
He can't as long as he's using HS2 for his renders. And considering he's planning on using it again for the next game, I doubt his work will ever set foot there unless he learns Blender in the future or something.

(And no, he explicitly cringes at the idea of using Daz3D, so don't force him on the matter :HideThePain:)

Last edited:

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Thank god, Daz characters look extremely uncanny, has put me off from playing many VNs just because they use Daz
This is very subjective, I guess. Having a bit more stylised characters like Eternum has with HS 2 can prevent them from plunging into the uncanny valley. But it can also put people off, who want to see more "realistic looking" characters.

DAZ can look pretty good, but it takes skill and talent to overcome the uncanny valley. Also the assets are just ubiquitous these days. It might be, because I haven't played that many HS 1 and 2 games, but DAZ games...so many characters from different games look similar or I see the same hair style on a character that I know from a character from another game and it immediately takes me out of the game. Sometimes I even think developers design some characters very deliberately to look similar to characters from more successful games.

Compared to that Eternum's cast just looks pretty unique...outside of very obvious copies of the game by some developers, that I can very easily ignore.

Kraxen

May 5, 2023
so many characters from different games look similar or I see the same hair style on a character that I know from a character from another game and it immediately takes me out of the game.
Yeah, that too.

I guess what I really meant to say is that Daz characters more often than not just look outright unattractive or even ugly to me (which is pretty crazy, considering they are supposed to be hot, sometimes unrealistically so, considering it's a game), obviously that's only my opinion, but it is what it is. Most attractive character I've seen in a Daz game has been maybe a 7/10.

Also, it's obviously unfair to compare Eternum (the pinnacle of AVNs) to the average Daz VN, but it doesn't really matter, considering the average HS2 VN is much better than the average Daz VN in terms of how attractive the girls are.

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
It's not. It's a decent income: for a single worker.

Caribdis pays for his animator, and outsourcing others things, on top of his electric use (I use HS2 Studio and it is constantly 100% load on my 3070, it's really inefficient when idle). His pre tax take home after costs is probably more like 15k, which is still under $200k per year and the sort of figure you need to raise a family on a single income in a developed nation.
You are forgetting that his wife would also have a job. He doesn't need to provide for the entire family.
And in no way 200k/year is 'decent' - it's awesome. The average annual income of an American worker is , while in Spain is (almost a third of an American one).

According to Graphtreon, Cari makes an average of 29k/month (estimate). 20% VAT = 23.2k. 8-ish% Patreon (thanks doovel ) =~ 21.3k. Let's say he pays 3k/month to Dread (the animator, and the 3k is pre-taxes) =~ 18.3k. Let's suppose he needs to pay for some other stuff (like the outsourcing), so rounding it to 15k (total 180k/year). According to , he'd have to pay income tax closer to 23% on that (it's a progressive tax, so in reality he'd pay less than this estimate) =~11.55k/month or 138.6k/year.
In three months, Cari has a net income GREATER than the entire average annual salary in Spain! He makes a net 138k/year! How is that just 'decent'?!?

It is not a figure you can pay employees a decent wage on. This was the key part of my statement and why I stated that only the scam lord DarkCookie and Dr Pink Cake have the monthly income to have a team.

Any AVN dev with 1k patrons can call it their job, rather than a hobby - but how many can boast that? I'm often looking at Patreon pages. It's only in the last year that Pale Carnations has crossed this number, despite being the highest rated title here for years. Outstanding titles like Leaving DNA have only 300.
My link shows how many can boast that. DPC and DC are just 2 among at least a dozen that can pay for a team.
The 3k Cari might pay Dread will become closer to 2k (after all labor laws and such). That would make him get the average Spain worker salary. Hmm, he probably pays him more than that - I'd say closer to 5k pre-taxes. That would make Cari get like 123k annually or 10.27k/month. Still a great number, but I'll concede that he would have problems hiring someone else.

The fact is, most are only able to treat it like a hobby. Caribdis being able to take home the same money as a middle-level google employee is a massive anomoly. DPC and DC bringing in 50-100k per month is an even greater anomoly.
The world outside the USA and some specific countries doesn't pay as much as them. As I've linked above, Spain doesn't pay that much for an average worker. Cari has a much easier life than the average Spain worker - since Spain certainly has cheaper prices than the USA (for comparable cities). A guy making 12k/month in Madrid or Barcelona lives a much better life than a buy making 12k/month in Los Angeles or Phoenix, respectively. Comparison below, using the NUMBEO website:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Successful AVN devs to the level of Cari and beyond are indeed rare, but 'anomaly' is a strange term for that. He has a good product, he knows how to promote it, he delivers great updates and is an approachable guy. The anomaly is the devs that keep milking people and deliver nothing but disappointing updates (if at all).

Last edited:

Pax Draconis

Aug 18, 2023
This is very subjective, I guess. Having a bit more stylised characters like Eternum has with HS 2 can prevent them from plunging into the uncanny valley. But it can also put people off, who want to see more "realistic looking" characters.

DAZ can look pretty good, but it takes skill and talent to overcome the uncanny valley. Also the assets are just ubiquitous these days. It might be, because I haven't played that many HS 1 and 2 games, but DAZ games...so many characters from different games look similar or I see the same hair style on a character that I know from a character from another game and it immediately takes me out of the game. Sometimes I even think developers design some characters very deliberately to look similar to characters from more successful games.

Compared to that Eternum's cast just looks pretty unique...outside of very obvious copies of the game by some developers, that I can very easily ignore.
It's purely subjective, but DAZ you also have to create or purchase your assets (hairstyles, clothing, etc,) and usually you'll have to use blender as well if you're going to try and create unique models. It doesn't look like most devs are good at creating the art assets but rather just pose and use existing models. That's probably why you see that ugly blotchy gray shirt on so many male mcs.

r5ha

Feb 29, 2020
You are forgetting that his wife would also have a job. He doesn't need to provide for the entire family.
And in no way 200k/year is 'decent' - it's awesome.
Counting someone else's money is interesting, I'm going to join.

First, I wouldn't call Caribdis a "worker". I mean, yeah he works, but he shouldn't be compared to average American employee, he's not an employee. He has a business.

This business 1) is one of the best in the world - so he obviously puts a crapload of effort and does some things smart, 2) exists only on his backers' good will, and 3) has a lot of risks in general - what if competitors emerge, like some Chinese create a VN with 10x production quality and the market's demand stays the same? What if the audience starts to demand big hairy bears instead of petite shaven goddesses? What if Patreon decides to ban the VNs that merely suggest incest? You can probably think of a lot of other ways of how his revenue could decrease.

A business mitigates the risks by expanding. If we are in the VN business, we would maybe hire some more people, we would maybe create another VN for a different audience. How much would you be able to expand from 200k per year in the VN business? Probably, not by much.

Okay, most of the people reading this are probably employed for someone else, and you don't really believe this, you still think that Caribdis drew a golden ticket and gets easy money, viva la revolución, all that jazz. But ask yourself: do you consider this business sustainable enough that you would imagine him staying in this field for, let's say, 30 years more? Personally, I don't. The risks and the effort are just too high. Most likely, later in his life, he will stop doing this. This won't be the end of the world - I mean, he's probably a smart guy, so he won't die of hunger - but he'll most likely go to a regular 9-to-5 job, and he will need to start it all over, he will need to obtain new skills which will take a lot of time, while his peers that didn't take risks and went to a 9-5 job right after college already obtained these skills and are already in the loop. So yes, a 200k/year business is nothing to write home about.

So subscribe to his Patreon if you want to minimize the risks of this VN getting abandoned. It's a good VN, btw.

Jun 19, 2018
OMG, my favourite game ever, and I really play it for the plot :D
It's not the boring run-off-the-mill wankfest, it's a fully fledged storyline.

I just created Subscribestar account to support the game because honestly it's mind blowing* -- in all the ways: that's the first AVN I don't play on mute. AMAZING.

Thank you 7767 for posting it, thank you Caribdis for creating it.

* and that's even though I don't really like comically enormous Kardashianesque bottoms which in all the other cases

4.80 star(s) 959 Votes