applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
You must've missed what's written in the "About" section of the Ravager dev's Patreon page then...

View attachment 1799197
I see that's quite an interesting workaround. Good to know
Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous. This VN/Game gaps every other game in this website, with the possible exception of Once in a Lifetime (also Caribdis) and Ripples.

I just finished Part 3 and it's absolutely bonkers. The lenght of the content, the quality of the content, how many different girls with ACTUAL, REAL PERSONALITIES, is off the charts. The animations are amazing (I loved the gladiator fight scene), the sound design is amazing, the atmosphere is so immersive it sometimes feels like I'm Eternum.

And the story? Fuck, it's so good. I'm so immersed, I feel hollow when I reach the end of the update. This is amazing.

Can't wait to be able to consume this in its entirety, I sometimes replay Once in a Lifetime from beginning to end just because I love those characters so much. This game is the same, I can't wait for more updates!

Only little thing that I found weird: Dalia looks really... Different maybe? In the last portion of this update, I mean, since she appeared in scene on the Roman Server. Her hairstyle and face look kinda weird, not like the Dalia that I was accostumed to, so much so that I didn't even recognized her as Dalia. This is particularly noticeable during the Heist Meeting.
I agree, I think the reasoning is quite simple. A VN tries to sell you on the story it has to since its the only thing it has other than art. What this means is that the story or art has to be good or else you'll play something else. As art is much more time-consuming to make authors focus on the story and use a few CGs. Other games try to add mechanics to their games and as a result, they get bogged down in trying to flesh out the mechanic. Oftentimes they end up biting off more than they can chew and make the game too grindy without any hooks to keep us going. This is also why Ren'py games focus on just have story choices also fair better as they have one less distraction.

Mar 17, 2019
Hi,
Just finished the current version and loved it. I won't copy-paste my 5 star review here obviously but I prefer to put my critics here because they're small enough to be not so relevant in a review, plus this way you can counter them with your own arguments if you want to, so here are my 2 cents :
  • It seems that, contrary to once in a lifetime, the heart points system is partially obscured to the player, letting him see only a rounded value rather that an exact number. I don't see the reason for that and it makes things confusing when you explore the tree of choices.
  • I think some of the choices the player is given could use to be more subtle and interesting. Sometimes you're basically given the choice to either be nice or a plain dick, while you could be given more... educative decisions to make.
  • the reading felt long sometimes, but that comes from someone who doesn't read much, so take with a handful of salt.
  • The render engine (Honey Select), while being real-time, feels a little outdated and missing some features modern real-time engines have (subsurface scattering, global illumination, volume fog). Fortunately the materials and lighting are set up smartly to counterbalance that on the characters and not have them look any less appealing, but the environments, especially in the first Eternum city, look rather flat, with no place for the eye to sit.
  • the protagonist's dick looks grey-ish and not so appealing. I've read that Honey Select was criticized for the lack of customization options for male genitals so maybe that's why, but just a more reddish color and smoother texture would make it more... juicy.

Last edited:

pedrobece7

Aug 29, 2019
Hi,
Just finished the current version and loved it. I won't repeat all my 5 star review here obviously but I prefer to put my critics here because they're small enough to be not so relevant in a review, plus this way you can counter them with your own arguments if you want to, so here are my 2 cents :
  • It seems that, contrary to once in a lifetime, the heart points system is partially obscured to the player, letting him see only a rounded value rather that an exact number. I don't see the reason for that and it makes things confusing when you explore the tree of choices.
  • I think some of the choices the player is given could use to be more subtle and interesting. Sometimes you're basically given the choice to either be nice or a plain dick, while you could be given more... educative decisions to make.
  • the reading felt long sometimes, but that comes from someone who doesn't read much, so take with a handful of salt.
  • The render engine (Honey Select), while being real-time, feels a little outdated and missing some features modern real-time engines have (subsurface scattering, global illumination, volume fog). Fortunately the materials and lighting are set up smartly to counterbalance that on the characters and not have them look any less appealing, but the environments, especially in the first Eternum city, look rather flat, with no place for the eye to sit.
  • the protagonist's dick looks grey-ish and not so appealing. I've read that Honey Select was criticized for the lack of customization options for male genitals so maybe that's why, but just a more reddish color and smoother texture would make it more... juicy.
His dick changed in the last update, looks different than previously. I think in 0.3 it's looking very damn good. (I wonder -definitely not necessary- if Caribdis will remake the earlier scenes with the new dick).

Last edited:

shiton32

Sep 29, 2021
His dick changed in the last update, looks different than previously. I think in 0.3 it's looking very damn good. (I wonder -definitely not necessary- if Caribdis will remake the earlier scenes with the new dick).
bruh wtf is it real?
I never really noticed that

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
(Also, curse you for making me look. DX)

Not that I'm excusing the dev or anything, but I feel like this is the kind of limitation that we have to live with if we want faster and more consistent updates.

I mean, compare this game to something like...I dunno, City of Broken Dreamers. That one has more amazing visuals compared to Eternum...but the updates are soooooo slow and the schedule is kind of inconsistent (it comes out when the rendering's done...can't do anything about that) that I might as well forget that it exists for a while until it updates.

Reactions: pedrobece7

Tokenugget

Jan 25, 2022
Not sure what the other posts about... These renders are "amazing visuals" and can't even begin to compare to "city of broken dreams" and the story is 10000000 fold better than them.

People just like to complain.. makes them feel noticed and special. :ROFLMAO:

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Not sure what the other posts about... These renders are "amazing visuals" and can't even begin to compare to "city of broken dreams" and the story is 10000000 fold better than them.

People just like to complain.. makes them feel noticed and special. :ROFLMAO:
I feel like this is more an "Elden Ring" vs. "Demon's Souls Remake" situation. One has somewhat dated-looking visuals being carried by impressive art direction and scope (Eternum), while the other is better in terms of lighting, texture quality, and mood/atmosphere but feels limited due to its tighter scope (CoBD). One is not necessarily better than the other. They just happen to have different priorities and excel in certain areas while being deficient in others.

And there's nothing wrong with complaining so long as you're being reasonable and you're doing so out of a desire to see the work grow/improve. But then again, this is the Internet, so I understand why some supporters don't like seeing complaints because they commonly fall under the "GAME IS BAD, COMMUNITY SUCKS, KYS DEV" category.

Fred689

Jan 11, 2022
Only little thing that I found weird: Dalia looks really... Different maybe? In the last portion of this update, I mean, since she appeared in scene on the Roman Server. Her hairstyle and face look kinda weird, not like the Dalia that I was accostumed to, so much so that I didn't even recognized her as Dalia. This is particularly noticeable during the Heist Meeting.
Check some pages back, we've had this discussion some time ago, it seems it's the different hairstyle that does people think she's changed.

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
parameter
I solved all the errors myself since the game DV itself has no idea why such errors occurred in scripts 2 and 3.

The error I got was when I entered the line of a script that at the end of the line had the parameter (multiple=2).

After eliminating (multiple=2) of all the lines that had this in the script, I saved and entered the game a save before the error and there was no other error, I myself managed to decipher something that I did not develop.

I always manage to fix certain mistakes in Renpy games and this was, for my happiness, another victory conquered by myself.

Example of the error just eliminate the parts that have this parameter at the end in which I highlighted in yellow.

mc "Well, we're naked now. Are you happy?" with dis15 (multiple=2)
no "*Removing your pants*" (multiple=2)
mc "Enjoying this feeling of “power”? Have you had enough?"
show bbb 36
(y)

pedrobece7

Aug 29, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
(Also, curse you for making me look. DX)
Yes I think it did! It looks different to me, the texture is less "flat", color is more life-like as well and I'd swear the gap around the glans definitely looks different. It could all be lighting of course, but I'd bet otherwise.
(Thank you for checking it. XD)

Ya, it did. I played with hs2 to know that, they are two different assets for sure.
Yes, that's the impression I got while playing.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
For a bunch of real life reasons I wasn't able to finish playing the update until tonight. I've religiously avoided this thread to avoid spoilers. It wasn't easy but I'm damn glad I did. I'm not caught up yet but I wanted to comment.

First thanks to Caribdis for this amazing update. Wow. So much content at such high quality. Really appreciated.

The result of the MC's summons left me laughing so hard that I had to stop playing for two minutes. Man that was pure gold. Chuckling now as I think back. The opposition is so confident and when his summons appears, we the players at a fundamental level know, they are just SO screwed. LOL. Maybe one of the most entertaining scenes in the update. Brilliant writing.

I generally don't try to figure out all the possible underlying plot devices, preferring to let the writer's work unfold before me.

So Caribdis: Thank you so very very much for this VN! Tour de force and demonstrated excellence fall far short of what you're creating. I'm enthralled by your work and will be impatiently awaiting your next update.

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
Not that far in yet but gotta say, the writing is top notch so far and I killed Benjamin with my mind, now if I concentrate hard enough, maybe I can kill his rich rapist buddy.

Last edited:

RukuYa

Nov 11, 2018
Decided to start playing, maybe it was not a good idea to play at 1 AM. I did not realize this had the horror tag lol. The dream sequence and Luna's mystery theme server stressed me out. OIAL had its own creepy moments but this one was on another level, and so is everything else.

Eternum basically takes the things I liked in OIAL and cranked to 11, no to 20! The art, characters, story, even the sound, everything! We get the same humorous dialogue and camerawork but more dynamic. We also get some serious and wholesome moments, which honestly I was not expecting but I very much welcome it.

It also addresses my hangup with OIAL: the girls' interactions outside of them interacting with the MC. In OIAL the girls felt pretty disjoint from each other, like it was clear cut that this girl only interacts with this other girl. But in Eternum the interactions feel more natural. Also big ups for more male supporting characters, particularly Chang, Chop-Chop, and Mr Hernandez. I feel that some other games try to minimize the number of male characters in a story and I honestly think that works against their favor.

This suddenly turned into a review lol. My mind was just blown by how this exceeded my expectations. Eternum goes into my list of highly anticipated releases here.

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes