Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
I actually think OIAL isn't very representative of what can be expected from Eternum. OIAL was a lot more traditional in terms of settings in that the MC had a dysfunctional father, sisters, mother, classmates that drool for him. The MC also, well, didn't grow that much over the course of the game. I mean, the only time he showed any supernatural powers was at the end.

Eternum is a lot closer to anime. You could see elements from Sword Art Online, Evangelion, Dragon Ball and so on. Those probably can give you a better idea of what's to expect in Eternum.
I beg to disagree, instead he showed a growth during all the game, but I said it mostly to make him understand how Caribdis make the characters grow as the game progress, that's the most important part of my reasoning.
Of course that's my personal opinion, not a statement nor a "fact" as too many try to impose on the other users.

BiggestDickest

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
I beg to disagree, instead he showed a growth during all the game, but I said it mostly to make him understand how Caribdis make the characters grow as the game progress, that's the most important part of my reasoning.
Of course that's my personal opinion, not a statement nor a "fact" as too many try to impose on the other users.
Yeah I understand you were explaining that to him. I don't know, I just don't think the MC grew that much in OIAL, and that's not a bad thing to me, because solving a mystery is also a good story.

Reactions: Dylan741

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I was not expecting an overpowered invincible god mc, but atleast a competent MC who can do something or learn from his mistakes and grow. The way I see it right now (till the mission with Nova and Alex) he is incompetent, inexperienced and overconfident (despite previous missions). He is very eager to pick fights in his real world and within game despite not having anything to backup against the overwhelming odds of the enemies. I believe you when you say that Caribdis would handle the character growth properly as I play along, but right now MC is already gunning for the end game when he has not even learnt to walk yet. Maybe it would have been more believable if the difference in strength wasn't this absurd in the beginning, I just hope there are not many as*pulls later to bridge the gap.
He's 18 and we're only a few weeks into things FFS! Were you all together and not a bit of a doofus at 18 and still in HS?

No need to answer - we know.

throwme

Nov 1, 2017
And he do, Orion is a young man not an experienced man with years of wisdom on his shoulders, that a common mistake that many players do, they project their knowledge of how thing goes in game forgetting that the MC can't honestly be at that level.
Orion answered pretty well for someone that was pushed into a game bigger than him.
Remember that, aside of wanting to be inside Eternum he didn't have any experience in the game and, in a matter of few times he was able to be at the same level of more experienced players like Dalia, Anne and even Nova and Alex.
You mustn't forget he's still a kid not grown up man, and this make all the difference, as the game will progress he will be up to the task at hand.
And yes there's a tie between OIAL and Eternum, they are inside the same universe and you will see once you will play it, i would suggest you to stop Eternum ( if you didn't already finished it) and complete OIAL first, you will understand Caribdis MO more after.
He's 18 and we're only a few weeks into things FFS! Were you all together and not a bit of a doofus at 18 and still in HS?

No need to answer - we know.
That's the thing, I just feel that the story is way too rushed where not enough time is put in char growth and just rushing towards end game. I just finished the part where they(the kids) are now planning for a
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
without taking any time to gain any experience. I would agree with you both if they were not gunning for world changing events. But, then keeping that age in mind this would tell me that I should not take the story seriously as it would either go swimmingly (the mega corp is incompetent), fail badly(MC didn't learn anything) or it would be just comic with as*pulls. I would be glad to be proven wrong though.

In any case I don't hate the game, the production quality, renders and music everything is great which kind of raised my expectation for the story as well. Otherwise I would have just played it as multiple other harem academy stories on this site.

Reactions: Dylan741

lewd_boy

Dec 23, 2018
Holy Shit!

I came for the fap and stayed for the story. For anyone who is downloading this game. Give it the time it deserves, go through the story. It has the fun stuff: animations models music everything about this game is legendary. The best part of the game is it's story, i'm truely intrigued.

I'm a fan now, honestly the story is soo good and there are some goofy bits but i enjoyed them. The horror sequence was so well crafter, you guys should be getting big budget. Loved the detective server story, top notch.

I started playing from v.04, where it ended is super interesting. Will be greatly anticipating future updates, keep rocking you guys.

An known

Sep 16, 2021
I was not expecting an overpowered invincible god mc, but atleast a competent MC who can do something or learn from his mistakes and grow. The way I see it right now (till the mission with Nova and Alex) he is incompetent, inexperienced and overconfident (despite previous missions). He is very eager to pick fights in his real world and within game despite not having anything to backup against the overwhelming odds of the enemies. I believe you when you say that Caribdis would handle the character growth properly as I play along, but right now MC is already gunning for the end game when he has not even learnt to walk yet. Maybe it would have been more believable if the difference in strength wasn't this absurd in the beginning, I just hope there are not many as*pulls later to bridge the gap.
I don't think the MC is incompetent I would say that the MC is unluckily lucky with his encounters, he occasionally witness absurd things for a Newbie that make him do aggressive approach to the game. I mean The first time he played the game he saw his classmate get exterminated, Second time he saw Thanatos, Third time he got a doom stone from a random mission an so on so forth . From this encounters a beginner like him would have died (And if you think "He doesn't learn from his mistakes" I think you're quite right I mean he is not IRON MAN and "Iron Man always learn from his mistakes"). He made some mistakes from the game like losing the gems and almost died but somehow he successfully pull off things like stealing in the Mansion (all thanks to Chang he should be given more credit) And he is learning from the people around if I were you I wouldn't jump on conclusions and I wouldn't say he is incompetent by the progress of the story the Game is just in version 0.4 and the story is not at the CLIMAX part it is just in the RISING part (because most of the is game it is just RISING and less Climaxing) ok all jokes aside Caribdis is good story maker and story teller I'm pretty sure it's just looks you're not liking the story but if wait a bit more you should expect something you wouldn't expect.
Give Caribdis sometime he is just a one man team (which I just learned earlier) and game is not at its peak yet and I'm sure you would enjoy it as the story keeps going.

Reactions: throwme

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
No tutorial? Wasn't Penelope doing extensive research about the game and its play before logging in for the first time? Of course, yeah, that isn't an "in-game", but, still...
Yeah, I meant in-game. IRL manuals are cool and all, but I argue that immersive sims/VRMMOs should teach players by letting them do shit in a closed environment while teaching them the ropes instead of making them read before playing. Gives them time to get used to the system and all, while keeping them from potentially getting killed on the first day.

Of course, this is a VN and this also adds fuel to the "Eternum isn't actually a videogame" theory, but from a videogame design standpoint, the entire thing just feels archaic to me, NGL.

I just started playing this game yesterday and love most of the aspects of the game (the unique premise, renders, comedy etc.), but I am starting to hate the useless MC who is getting stupider as the game progresses. I feel like the the story is rushed without giving enough time for character building and progression! Who in their right mind goes to a pvp server without any weapons or armor at lvl 0 and expects to keep a legendary item that he stupidly carries.
If this is about him losing the Gem of Doom to Ol' Thanny, it was mentioned that they had no idea if it was a genuine Gem of Doom so they probably didn't think much about protecting it or keeping it safe. It was only after it was stolen did Orion (MC) realize that it was the real deal, so there's that.

Also it was explained that levels don't do squat in this game. They act more like the faction/PvP rep system in World of Warcraft where if you level it you gain access to certain items and spells...but stat-wise your IRL skills and physical attributes are the ones that will determine if you get an edge early on or not because your stats stay the same regardless of your level.

It would have been nice to unravel the world of Eternum slowly as the MC learns about it, but noooo! lets skip that and we'll go straight to collecting the stones with 0 lvl, 0 weapon, 0 armor and hope that the brainless excuse for an MC can protect the stones, his friends and family. I wouldn't have minded this if he atleast learnt from this and decided to do something about it, but ofc not our MC has to always go dick first into these situations and forget about them after getting royally fcked, so lets rinse and repeat them till all the tags are included in the game. At this point I am rooting more for Thanatos.
...But collecting the stones IS the plot (along with solving Benjie's mysterious death). It's basically Eternum's MSQ (with a Ready Player One-esque reward attached to it). We get to learn about the world as time goes on, but at the moment the MC's main focus around 0.1-0.2 is...well, to play the game and hopefully that will let him gain access to more prestigious locales/events that will help him get to the bottom of Benjie's mysterious death (the plan being provided to him by Nova in 0.2, where she mentioned about the prestigious party with the Ulysses top brass and the holders of the gems of doom...get a gem, get access to the party, start snooping).

the major plot points are ignored in favor of bs* comedy which feels cheap after the initial few times. What happened to the 1st phonebooth call? whats the point of the dreams if there are no followups? ofc who cares about them! lets forget that and instead see where the dick leads me.
Friendly reminder that MC's overall motivation is to basically date and get laid while he's in Kredon (or are we forgetting the train convo with Chang at the very start of the game?). Everything else beyond that is him willing to try out new experiences and sating his curiosity about shit.

Also, the dreams come back...eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: throwme

An known

Sep 16, 2021
Thanks guys, I'll continue with the story for now and reserve the judgment for later. Hopefully after playing till the latest update I'll understand your view.
You're welcome (I guess) and a bit of Sorry, We don't want to pressure on you're opinions the game is already a trend in this site and the game is still in progress so some will find not satisfaction from it. Maybe you can try his other game
OIAL( Once in A Lifetime) and maybe you could see the potential and satisfaction from Caribdis games.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Elhemeer and ArDZer

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
You're welcome (I guess) and a bit of Sorry, We don't want to pressure on you're opinions the game is already a trend in this site and the game is still in progress so some will find not satisfaction from it. Maybe you can try his other game
OIAL( Once in A Lifetime) and maybe you could see the potential and satisfaction from Caribdis games.
Good advice, but that's what all the other non-quoted people in that reply were suggesting, an idea which HIS reply seems to reject ...

• Thinking Face
Reactions: An known

An known

Sep 16, 2021
Good advice, but that's what all the other non-quoted people in that reply were suggesting, an idea which HIS reply seems to reject ...
I think you got it wrong he said that he'll add it on the list that means he will try to play the game, which means he didn't reject the other non-quoted people based from this reply:
You might be right and maybe I just jumped the gun, I'll add that OIAL to my list and push forward with this one to see where it leads. I hope it gets better from here. To be honest I was really loosing interest in it and was just going to unren it to check the later half.
He said he will tried but he lose interest at half and check the other half later I think he did not reject the suggestion.:unsure:

throwme

Nov 1, 2017
I think you got it wrong he said that he'll add it on the list that means he will try to play the game, which means he didn't reject the other non-quoted people based from this reply:

He said he will tried but he lose interest at half and check the other half later I think he did not reject the suggestion.:unsure:
That is correct, I have already downloaded the other game and would be playing it soon. As, I said before I liked this game just not some part of it, so would like to give it another chance to this and the other game.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

Ahh, I was only kinda paying attention to his collective rants, and only saw his last reply to the four of you.

BuranPhan

Jun 29, 2022
Interesting and fun to play. Made me laugh a couple times. But the beginning lacks sex. Not really anything wrong with it since it is more plot centered, but certainly left me blue balls a couple of nights. I just wanted pp hard late at night, but got scared af and couldnt sleep (im just joking btw, great game)

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021
"Reality", worst game ever. Thumbs down, 0/10.
The grind is absurd, every game day is the same as the previous. The devs keep saying the late game rewards justify the grind, but by the time you reach the endgame you don't enjoy them anymore. Some starting classes are ridicolously OP, the game is absolutely unbalanced.
Yes, the graphics and sfx are outstanding but that's it. Not recommended.
Reality the only game where the longer you play, the weaker your character gets :HideThePain:

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021
So you think I should play that game before continuing with this? Is that game connected/prequel to this or just to understand the devs method of storytelling?
Definitely a good idea, so far theres not a lot connecting the two, but there has been teases that what was in the old game might come to play in this game.

Also the other game has a lot more content, so once you get past the slow burn and story build up, you get a lot of plot, as well as a lot of "plot", if you know what I mean :sneaky:

Once in a Lifetime changed my entire perspective on honey select games, I thought they were all too weeby and not that hot (this coming from an actual weeb lol), but the game had a really nice story, characters, and scenes, at least in my opinion.

Don't go in expecting a lot of depth, lore, or anything top tier hollywood level, go in expecting a shounen anime level mystery story, and you might be satisfied.

Overall, you might still find it cheesy or the MCs dumb, but I do hope you enjoy the two games, since I really do think theyre great at what they present to the player.

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
Yeah, I meant in-game. IRL manuals are cool and all, but I argue that immersive sims/VRMMOs should teach players by letting them do shit in a closed environment while teaching them the ropes instead of making them read before playing. Gives them time to get used to the system and all, while keeping them from potentially getting killed on the first day.
If the MC wasn't going straight to an invite, he would have been taken to a public, newb-friendly server. I kind of just assumed that those servers would have all of the required introduction for new players, but that the MC opted to skip it for the sake of getting explanations from a more experienced player.

I mean, I get your point, it just really isn't immersion-killing for me. Especially since I don't take the game seriously to begin with.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
The setup of Eternum actually reminds me a bit of Iggdrasil from Overlord: the player was only taught basic controls and then thrown into the game. Thus, all sorts of things could only be figured out by trial and error, and online walkthroughs were apparently just basic information and rumors, since no one would share valuable information with complete strangers for free, which in turn probably encouraged the formation of guilds. However, all this resulted in only 30% of the Nine Worlds being mapped by the end of Yggdrasil.

A classic Caribdis stylistic element is that within the story there is never really the superhero who outflanks everything and everyone, but also for that the ladies never degenerate into the terrible cliché of the damsel in distress (or rather it happens very rarely and always in the scope) like an Ashley in Resident Evil 4, who is quite despised by many fans of the franchise for that. At the same time, each of the ladies has their own abilities that complement each other's and the MC's, making each unique instead of interchangeable, as is the case with quite a few VNs.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
If the MC wasn't going straight to an invite, he would have been taken to a public, newb-friendly server. I kind of just assumed that those servers would have all of the required introduction for new players, but that the MC opted to skip it for the sake of getting explanations from a more experienced player.

I mean, I get your point, it just really isn't immersion-killing for me. Especially since I don't take the game seriously to begin with.
I mean it's quite obvious that Caribdis basically skipped all of that in order to get the plot rolling quick. Dude obviously learned from OIAL where the plot was pretty much slow-paced until about...I dunno, around the 5th update when Asmo showed up (at least, that's how I felt when I played through that VN)? Also helps that it gives more spotlight to the LIs and allow them to become integrated to the plot (compare that to OIAL where it felt like Judie and Lauren were the only ones that remained consistently part of the main plot while the others feel like filler or cruelly sidelined once their part in the plot was done. Like you could just basically take a hatchet and remove every other LI save for Aiko and the story would practically still be the same) so that's hitting two birds with one stone.

So yeah, from a storytelling perspective, I get why it's done that way. VRMMO game design wise tho...yeah I'm gonna stick to my guns on that one lol.

Reactions: bingolebongo

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
I mean it's quite obvious that Caribdis basically skipped all of that in order to get the plot rolling quick. Dude obviously learned from OIAL where the plot was pretty much slow-paced until about...I dunno, around the 5th update when Asmo showed up (at least, that's how I felt when I played through that VN)? Also helps that it gives more spotlight to the LIs and allow them to become integrated to the plot (compare that to OIAL where it felt like Judie and Lauren were the only ones that remained consistently part of the main plot while the others feel like filler or cruelly sidelined once their part in the plot was done. Like you could just basically take a hatchet and remove every other LI save for Aiko and the story would practically still be the same) so that's hitting two birds with one stone.

So yeah, from a storytelling perspective, I get why it's done that way. VRMMO game design wise tho...yeah I'm gonna stick to my guns on that one lol.
Yeah, that expresses better what I wanted to say. I agree that the onboarding experience would have sucked if Eternum was a real game. I just meant I'm okay with the explanations for the sake of immersion and storytelling.

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes