Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Forgot to say...

...Man, at this rate I don't even care if there will be sex scenes or not.

Just...just give me plot, Caribdis.

It's only been a few months and I'm already having withdrawals.

I've played Artemis, got through the latest Ripples update, and have Pale in my backlog...

...but they're just not the same (no offense to digiB or Jestur btw, your works are awesome and I'm sure MnJ's Pale is gonna rock too but my brain craves the kind of theorycrafting shenanigans that stories like that of Eternum could only provide, the kind where my stock knowledge on mythology and mysticism gets to be put to good use).

Just...just give me plot. Lore. A sliver of what comes next in the story. Hell, release a preview of a portion of the script and lock it in some high tier or something and I'll try to scrape some cash for it just to get a morsel of the story.

Just give me plot please.

Just...just give...give...ploooot...

View attachment 2573107
Alas, poor Ori: we didn't know you half as well as we should like and I liked you less than half as well as you deserved.

Last edited:

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
It was a pleasure knowing you. I doubt you will live longer then 17.05.2123...
Sigh..... Farewell my friend.... I'm so sad now that I know the date of my departure...I will elevate a preach to my Goddess to accompany me in my voyage in the afterlife now....
Let's hope I will be boinked by her sacred pan there, I need to repent and wash away my sins in order to be worthy of a place in her heaven...
worship.gif
nova-mhm-mhm.gif

buff

May 29, 2017
If you want purely more fun slice of life hanging out with your happy harem, harem hotel does that very well.
That's a great way to describe the way HH started out, and why I started pledging it. Unfortunately, about 50-60% of the development effort in the last year or so has been chasing the "GUYS GUYS WHAT IF RACISM BUT ELVES!?!?!!?" plotline. It's not really _bad_, it's just not what I'm playing the game for. It's rich worldbuilding but does surprisingly little to actually develop any of the characters, and when a game pushes "want to own a stable of hot elven sex-slaves?" and then tries to make me feel bad for it my eyes start rolling pretty hard.

....which is totally on on-topic comment because I'd like to point out that, in contrast Caribdis is pretty good about staying focused on the actual characters in his game, even though he has a very rich background world as well.

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
...Man, at this rate I don't even care if there will be sex scenes or not.

Just...just give me plot, Caribdis.
Well, as much I love game story, imo I don't want to risk plot due possible spoilers. Not to mention we already know one part of final plot:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But yeah, I understand what you mean. It is Caribdis fault to make the player so engaged into the storyline. Please nerf Caribdis storytelling skills, way too OP.

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
Well, as much I love game story, imo I don't want to risk plot due possible spoilers. Not to mention we already know one part of final plot:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But yeah, I understand what you mean. It is Caribdis fault to make the player so engaged into the storyline. Please nerf Caribdis storytelling skills, way too OP.
What would happen if Caribdis after Eternum creates a 3rd project? That will certainly be very interesting to see in the future.

sageproduct

Mar 16, 2021
If there is a single (harem) route the writing can be much more consistent, but an indy developer is generally not going to tweak every bit of narration for every possible combination of flags-- it is just too much work.
DPC does. By himself.

The best ones show you, not tell you. They flesh out drama naturally based on the characters created rather than build a collection of disjointed fetishes by committee. Many of them are tAkInG tOo lOnG.
This is one attribute in which Caribdis' work is truly world-class. Not just among visual novels, but in all of storytelling itself.

I wasn't able to really conceptualize this until the most recent update.

Orion was looking at himself in the mirror while changing. I suddenly realized that, even though we were spending time on a completely inconsequential activity as changing clothes, I had complete and total faith in every frame of that scene being substantial and significant. Because that's how the whole work has been.

Eternum doesn't have transitions. It has a continuity. The cuts are impeccably placed and spaced. SO much is shown, while using the minimal amount of words, while also avoiding unnecessarily cryptic dialogue.

Ripples and Being a DIK (my other two favorite works), aren't necessarily worse in this regard. But its execution in Eternum is just singularly more impressive due to its massive scale.

I'm spoiled now to where I can hardly get through any other visual novels I try. It sticks out glaringly. Idle conversation, unnecessary frames and scenes, they're like the boring "So what do you do for a living?" idle chatter of real life. It's there only out of necessity and doesn't do much more.

In just the first few hours of Eternum, we meet our best friends, bond with our host family, confront a school bully, win a quiz contest, go to Eternum for the first time, and witness a murder.

When was the last time you read a visual novel that did even 1/5 of that in its first chapter? Only a select few achieve the same artistic polish in showing exactly what we need in the moment, and showing it beautifully.

Zod666

Nov 1, 2020
Nooooooo, i just started update 5 and what happened to Nancy's hair?! It was perfect before, now she looks basic as fuck, another 20y/o *MILF*. What a let down.

Jan 21, 2023
Nooooooo, i just started update 5 and what happened to Nancy's hair?! It was perfect before, now she looks basic as fuck, another 20y/o *MILF*. What a let down.
Hairstyles change in this game for each scene. It is not permanent or anything. Nancy has like 4 so far and based on previews she is going to have a different hairstyle next update as well. I am sure we will return to previous hairstyles as well.

I really like this approach. Tweaking the characters a little bit with different outfits and hair keeps things new and interesting.

Cherubin25

Nov 7, 2020
I mean, Nancy looked quite young from the beginning. Mainly because she is really not that old. IMO when you are looking for characters which are older, Eternum is not really the correct game (unless you are into Getrude, but then you have bigger problems than hairstyles).

It is quite common in this game that characters change their style, whether it is clothes or hairstyle. I mean, just look at the gallery and you will see that they are not the same each time.

Which is totally fine and adds immersion.

Reactions: Frowster

Zod666

Nov 1, 2020
I know right? Next thing you know AVN characters will actually wear different clothes each day.
Now that's an exaggeration. I love that there are plenty of outfits and that girls have different hairstyles, but Nancy's default style was just perfect imo, made her stand out and look a bit more mature, she can still have other styles inside Eternum.

pranabray

Jan 3, 2021
Why do the Android version of these games require the mandatory permission of 'allow management of all files' in order to run/open the app?
How are we supposed to trust an unknown app without any given credibility of the creator?

4.80 star(s) 910 Votes