Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
The same could be said when the protagonist goes to the ruins of the Fink house to get Anne's picture (the little girl at the Red Herring). Poor young lad was screaming at the top of his lungs before Luna opened the door. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Oooh yeah that was epic, playing scaredy "cat" Orion was too fun and scary at the same time!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
P.S. Luckily I live alone, if I still were with my parents I wonder what my mother would have thought of me, I already think my neighbors suspects I'm not exactly a "sane" person......:sneaky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
Poor Annie too..... :eek:
Her experience at the Andromeda server would've been quite the work to give voice to. From feeling dreamy about her date (and her not too successful attempt at rapping), tearing up at the movie theatre, having a sexy time, and then being plunged into a horror sequence with aliens that had her cornered in fear before she was rescued. :)

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Instead of quoting everyone, my perspective on voice acting in VNs:

Don't add it to an established VN. Most people have already given a voice to the various characters and adding in voices later, especially if the voices don't jibe with the voices inside the player's head (no, not THOSE voices, the character voices), it can take away from the experience. A VN I got into a few months back added voices late in the game and I had to mute them - they just didn't work for me and they didn't seem to fit the characters - the landlady/mom voice used was much younger than the roommate/sister voice, so it just took away from the whole experience.

If a Dev is going to voice a VN (other than vocalizations during lewd scenes, and even those can be really bad if not done properly), then it really should be from the beginning - that way the voice is the voice and the player expectations won't be as negatively impacted. There may still be a perceived mismatch between the character on the screen and the voice emitting, but it won't be because the player established a voice over the course of several updates and was now being given a new voice for a familiar character.

Last edited:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Oooh yeah that was epic, playing scaredy "cat" Orion was too fun and scary at the same time!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
P.S. Luckily I live alone, if I still were with my parents I wonder what my mother would have thought of me, I already think my neighbors suspects I'm not exactly a "sane" person......:sneaky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Have you ever been accused of being sane? I don't think anyone here has EVER made that accusation of you. ;)

Ellyx

Apr 9, 2022
Her experience at the Andromeda server would've been quite the work to give voice to. From feeling dreamy about her date (and her not too successful attempt at rapping), tearing up at the movie theatre, having a sexy time, and then being plunged into a horror sequence with aliens that had her cornered in fear before she was rescued. :)
Hey at least this time she had a sexy time before the Horror and not after ;) . Poor girl is as useful during the horror scenes as Jerry was throughout his eternum's adventure.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Poor girl is as useful during the horror scenes as Jerry was throughout his eternum's adventure.
Don't go dissin' Annie. :cautious:

She was on a server where she didn't have her arms and had no expectation of needing them, not that they would have helped against xenomorphs. Put her in her element, or allow her to be otherwise prepared, and she'll kick ass - Jerry's included, every day of the week. ;)

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Instead of quoting everyone, my perspective on voice acting in VNs:

Don't add it to an established VN. Most people have already given a voice to the various characters and adding in voices later, especially if the voices don't jibe with the voices inside the player's head (no, not THOSE voices, the character voices), it can take away from the experience. A VN I got into a few months back added voices late in the game and I had to mute them - they just didn't work for me and they didn't seem to fit the characters - the landlady/mom voice used was much younger than the roommate/sister voice, so it just took away from the whole experience.

If a Dev is going to voice a VN (other than vocalizations during lewd scenes, and even those can be really bad if not done properly), then it really should be from the beginning - that way the voice is the voice and the player expectations won't be as negatively impacted. There may still be a perceived mismatch between the character on the screen and the voice emitting, but it won't be because the player established a voice over the course of several updates and was now being given a new voice for a familiar character.
You can still mute the voices, no drawback for the players. For the dev though, not sure if it's worth budgeting it.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Agreed. And, I see you've changed again. How often should we expect a DorfMorph, and if you let me know in advance, I can update your string board. ;):ROFLMAO:
Was actually looking for a face to reflect my growing insanity from waiting on 0.6. Will either keep it or change back to my old one once the update releases.

Edit: NVM, seems like I found my new semi-permanent avvy.

HeyHeyDorf.jpg

Last edited:

Ellyx

Apr 9, 2022
Don't go dissin' Annie. :cautious:

She was on a server where she didn't have her arms and had no expectation of needing them, not that they would have helped against xenomorphs. Put her in her element, or allow her to be otherwise prepared, and she'll kick ass - Jerry's included, every day of the week. ;)
Yeah I know she can kick ass ;), she's my favourite LI in Eternum for many reasons and her behavior during the horror scenes is one of them :whistle:. As for Jerry the real question is not who can kill him but who can't kill him :Kappa:

Last edited:

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Have you ever been accused of being sane? I don't think anyone here has EVER made that accusation of you. ;)
Eeeeeh.. Now that you're saying it.. Oh my Goddess Nova.... I'm an insane person!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh well, there are worse fates I suppose... And I can always refer to my Goddess to seek happiness, thanks man!!!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
I'm (apparently) an oddity in that I don't hear voices in my head when I read dialogue. Text is silent for me.*

* Edit: one exception is when I am reading something that is written in dialect, e.g. Trainspotting. But even there, while I hear it, I don't hear distinct voices for different characters. What I hear is the oral pronunciation of the dialect in a kind of narrator's voice. And I'm not sure "hear" is the right word. Difficult to explain.

Nonetheless, voice acting needs to be done very well to be worth the time. This may have changed, but in the 90s a lot of anime had voices that all sounded the same, and without proper feeling and cadence matching the full detail of what was being said and the action on screen. They had a limited emotional range that was reused without variation across similar scenes and across multiple completely different stories. The ones which had experienced actors who knew how to embody a role and tailor their voice acting to the character and story really stood out. They also no doubt cost a lot more to dub.

What voice acting I've heard on AVNs so far has been as plastic sounding as many Daz models look. This was fitting for the first AVN in which I heard voice acting, because the characters all looked like plastic dolls and had little personality, so the plastic voices were an accurate representation ;).

Caribdis will need better than that for his characters. Not necessarily famous actors, but people with a talent for character voices. I have no doubt they are out there (I worked for a while with someone who did voice acting as a side gig) but to get them committed to an extended project that will probably take at least a few years to complete could be difficult.

That said, if Caribdis can pull it off, adding voice to each chapter before it is released, I'm for it. Speaking as someone who would love to hear how the creator of the story imagines their characters should sound.

Last edited:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
If someone already suggested this and I missed it previously then apologies. The following thought popped into my head in the middle of the night:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:unsure: Interesting, but doesn't really fit with her previous experiences. Would imply an eternal loop for everyone except the MC.
Was actually looking for a face to reflect my growing insanity from waiting on 0.6. Will either keep it or change back to my old one once the update releases.
:ROFLMAO: But which one?
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

Lilybelle

Jan 22, 2023
:unsure: Interesting, but doesn't really fit with her previous experiences. Would imply an eternal loop for everyone except the MC.

:ROFLMAO: But which one?
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*
But that's exactly what I'm suggesting: Virtually (hehe, virtually) everyone but MC is in an eternal loop.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Elhemeer

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
The interesting thing about betting on the next coin toss is that – while the coin technically always has an exactly 50% chance of coming up either side – what came before is not entirely irrelevant. The number of times the coin has been tossed, and the appearance of a streaks and its size, can inform how to place your bet, because the chance of a streak of length X at some point in the process is affected by the number of total flips. The more times you flip, the larger the chance of a streak of a given length, that length increasing the more you flip. That is, if you flip enough times, you create a significant chance of the coin coming up the same side a certain number of times in a row. Probability is weird.

I didn't know that at the time I experienced this part of the story, or I would have known that 99 times the same with only one flip left rendered it effectively impossible for the streak to continue to 100. Actually, 99 out of 99 already has a 0% chance. This would have made me suspicious of the question, which I dismissed as Idriel playing metaphysical games of no practical concern (oh foolish me). A streak of at least 5 heads has a 0.8% chance in 100 flips. 10 goes down to 0.044%. By the time you get to a streak of at least 25 heads, the chances are nearing zero, so close that a bet against it is an almost sure thing. At 54 the chance becomes indistinguishable from zero and so can be treated as impossible.

If you're curious about this (as opposed to bored or going WTF is he on about?) you can check out a calculator here:

By the way, I tried to find out how many flips you'd need to have a non-zero chance of a streak of 99, and the response was "Wow, that's a lot of flips! Our calculator can't do that without breaking your computer. Why don't we try something smaller?" I was only trying 10,000! But even 1,000 flips won't give you a non-zero chance of 54 heads in a row. (They're probably joking about breaking the computer, and no doubt calculating up to much higher numbers is possible, but the higher you go the longer it takes and they decided that was a reasonable place to stop).

At the college party, Idriel hints that Orion is missing something when the problem is presented again – most likely that the coin toss was being manipulated, or rather that the circumstances represented by the metaphor of the coin toss were being manipulated. I originally guessed heads, and because she was asking again now realised it must be important so changed to tails, and her response was something like "You're beginning to understand."

4.80 star(s) 929 Votes