Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Such a question arose. Has anyone in the thread already done a full review of all the references and easter eggs to pop culture? With a detailed description of the moments when it happened? I see references at every turn (maybe not all of course) and the idea came up to make a big post on them.
From what I can recall...

Yes.

And Annie's swords in Ion are the YoRHa swords from Nier: Automata.

And the Exit Portals are Nia's Chakrams from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

And the Praetorian's gun from Ion is the Sunshot from Destiny 2.

And Luna's costume in Red Herring is Triss Merigold's outfit from The Witcher 3

And the Aliens from Andromeda are the Xenomorph and Facehugger from Alien franchise.

And Luna's summons are Pyramid Head from Silent Hill and The Twins from Atomic Heart.

And the monster statue in the Collector's house is the Demogorgon from Stranger Things.
Add Clonk is actually Pascal from Nier: Automata and one of the items displayed at the Collector's house was the Portal 2 gun I suppose.

Logical explanation is that since these are modded assets that already exist in HS2, Cari just did the economical thing and repurposed said assets in his story to save time and patreon funds that he could use elsewhere (i.e. commissioning modders to make custom maps, port stuff from Daz3D to HS2, or create non-HS2 mod assets that would still be useful to the story (i.e. Nova's manga, Slide art for Caly's backstory)).

From a story/lore perspective...well, the Andromeda tapes in 0.4 mentioned that the creator/s of Alien got their idea from a dream, yes? And that one of the running theories is that Eternum is akin to or IS the Astral Plane (hence the fact why otherworldly beings and spirits and dreamers are found there), yes? Well if the latter is true, then a plausible explanation is that the assets that we see in Eternum are likely the original concepts or ideas of the stuff that we see in the real world, and that they were brought into the real world by their respective creators who dreamnt of them in a dream. So it's basically a subversion of "Ready Player One" (or, god forbid, "Fortnite") where instead of all these IP from various sources being plonked into this vast VRMMO, it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Ellyx

Apr 9, 2022
Actually this is Honey Select 2, big improvement over the original,if i'm not mistaken, Caribdis's first game Once In A Lifetime used HS1.
The difference between it and Eternum is night and day.
Even with HS1 you can achieve very good animations, just like Jestur does with his game (Ripples) but overall HS2 is still an improvement (y).

Thanks for your reply. Honestly, i have no negative review about animations (sex or non sex), it even get better than before (especially the 'the main dish'). And i must admit, story telling about Calypso's origin at Blackridge (wild west server) is actually a brand new, yet very good approach that Cari gave to us. i appreciated that. And the rest, well, i stay on my opinion. But hey, thanks again(y).
To each their own I guess :),I will never force anyone to think like me.

Still better than what I would ever be able to do with the same tools.
Still made me laugh to see how it is easy to transform Alex into someone uglier than Ruth :ROFLMAO:(from Oialt)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TemIIx and Elhemeer

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
Actually this is Honey Select 2, big improvement over the original,if i'm not mistaken, Caribdis's first game Once In A Lifetime used HS1.
The difference between it and Eternum is night and day.
When I saw OIAL, i though HOTTEST GIRLS EVER (MC was meh, but whatever).

Then Eternum came...

Honestly, I don't know how Caribdis keeps outdoing him/her self every time :oops:

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
Aye I'm just new here in Eternum, I say this is one of the best game here!!! Can't wait for 0.7!
While you're waiting, you might want to check out Carbdis's older, completed get Once In a Lifetime

The storytelling is stellar, (shorter than Eternum though), and in my own opinion, the visuals are the hottest ever for the honeyselect-type games (sans eternum, of course)

• Red Heart
Reactions: chamillionaire

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
*Elf in Cowboy hat and dress get-up*

HNNNNGGG------

--------------------------------------------------------------

I know Alex was the sick one but when Eva had realized she'd met MC and he had to talk about how they met, this man was sweating bullets more than the butter it takes for a flapjack...

Last edited:

Mr.Winter

Mar 30, 2022
This game is probably in my Top 2 being on par with superhuman, the Fantasy aspect is definitely peak, the way he writes the story is honestly so satisfying and the mini games like the horror map (burned factory) or the "murdered" collector murder mystery. I don't know how he does it but honestly this gotta be one of the best VN on this si- no just out there in general tbh. {This scene was funny too think winter, THINK.PNG }

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Dorfnutter I got a concept for you that you might just percolate on...

What if Eva has some ties to the Syndicate?
Did you get that one from Discord? I seem to recall seeing that theory there the other day...XD

Anyway, could work. But personally I'm trying to grasp how a seemingly fuck-it-I'll-do-what-I-want-let's-see-what-happens kind of girl would mesh with a bunch of ghost-like entities who're creepy and cryptic as fuck. But hey, if an ex-convict with a heart of gold can somehow become President of the US of A in this universe, I suppose anything can happen. /shrugs

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Did you get that one from Discord? I seem to recall seeing that theory there the other day...XD

Anyway, could work. But personally I'm trying to grasp how a seemingly fuck-it-I'll-do-what-I-want-let's-see-what-happens kind of girl would mesh with a bunch of ghost-like entities who're creepy and cryptic as fuck. But hey, if an ex-convict with a heart of gold can somehow become President of the US of A in this universe, I suppose anything can happen. /shrugs
Nope, just thought of it while I'm playing honestly. I'm not on the Discord at all. Reason I'm thinking she's on the Syndicate take is that she continues to bump into MC despite whatever else. I suddenly thought about the envelope. I think there's a plausible thought she may come up again as a connection to the Syndicate OR a human group we know since she's busy doing her own thing. She's still a wild card but I just can't help shake the feeling she'll be important right along with Annie.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Dorfnutter

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Nope, just thought of it while I'm playing honestly. I'm not on the Discord at all. Reason I'm thinking she's on the Syndicate take is that she continues to bump into MC despite whatever else. I suddenly thought about the envelope. I think there's a plausible thought she may come up again as a connection to the Syndicate OR a human group we know since she's busy doing her own thing. She's still a wild card but I just can't help shake the feeling she'll be important right along with Annie.
Well if that's the case then I suppose you're not the only person thinking of that possibility, though in the case of the theorist/s at Discord they thought having a prostitute/hooker that's revealed to be an agent either playing for the side of right (Syndicate) or wrong (Ulysses) is a textbook Cyberpunk trope. And we all know Cari has a thing for tropes (lol).

Then again, I seem to recall some people mentioning that they do not like the idea of a missable side girl being elevated into the plot (thus retconning her character as a must-meet character in the first chapter).

Like I said though, stranger things* have happened so we'll see.

*Brain: /starts playing the Stranger Things theme song in my head

Me: /tries to swat it away since I'm already sick of hearing 80's-esque music thanks to that show DX

Edit: Added some stuff and edited wording in first paragraph. Made me look like I was dismissing or downplaying your theory when that was not my intent DX

Last edited:

Mfka5

Oct 4, 2022
Dang what a great way to finish update.
This should be mandatory in every game update and not depart us blue balled lol.

Reactions: Tulrek

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
From what I can recall...

Add Clonk is actually Pascal from Nier: Automata and one of the items displayed at the Collector's house was the Portal 2 gun I suppose.

Logical explanation is that since these are modded assets that already exist in HS2, Cari just did the economical thing and repurposed said assets in his story to save time and patreon funds that he could use elsewhere (i.e. commissioning modders to make custom maps, port stuff from Daz3D to HS2, or create non-HS2 mod assets that would still be useful to the story (i.e. Nova's manga, Slide art for Caly's backstory)).

From a story/lore perspective...well, the Andromeda tapes in 0.4 mentioned that the creator/s of Alien got their idea from a dream, yes? And that one of the running theories is that Eternum is akin to or IS the Astral Plane (hence the fact why otherworldly beings and spirits and dreamers are found there), yes? Well if the latter is true, then a plausible explanation is that the assets that we see in Eternum are likely the original concepts or ideas of the stuff that we see in the real world, and that they were brought into the real world by their respective creators who dreamnt of them in a dream. So it's basically a subversion of "Ready Player One" (or, god forbid, "Fortnite") where instead of all these IP from various sources being plonked into this vast VRMMO, it's the other way around.
Running through the game again, now I'm on chapter 1 and already discovered :

1. I don’t know if this can be considered a reference, but these buildings are very similar to the destroyed WTC towers:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2. First Miсaela appearance. Hello Dark Souls

3. The song that MC often hears in his nightmares is a lullaby reworked for Dark Space, and it's really creepy.

4. When Nancy asks MC to clean up, he refers to Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars, whose line "It's a trap" has become a meme.
hqdefault.jpg

5. A reference to the MCU and Cap's line.
This is not all of course, there are many more.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
1. I don’t know if this can be considered a reference, but these buildings are very similar to the destroyed WTC towers:
Likely unintentional, given that some of the maps used for Eternum has also been used in other HS1/HS2 VNs (i.e. the place where Orion meets Nancy for the first time also exists in "Fates Collide," which is set in another city in another universe (and no, the Chang cameo in FC doesn't count)).

3. The song that MC often hears in his nightmares is a lullaby reworked for Dark Space, and it's really creepy.
Yeah I know. Likely used because of the "star" reference (there's been a lot of that in the game, likely due to "Orion" and all). Also one of my crackpot theories is that the true ending might play the lullaby version of that just to signify that the danger is past and the story is finally over-

/starts getting strangled by brain for sharing another ending theory which it doesn't want me sharing just yet

/taps brain saying "it was just one minor part of the theory, IT WAS JUST ONE MINOR PART-"

4. When Nancy asks MC to clean up, he refers to Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars, whose line "It's a trap" has become a meme.
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

5. A reference to the MCU and Cap's line.
This is not all of course, there are many more.
All of that is likely just pop-culture reference quotes for the sake of humor and such. Not likely gonna age well, but I suppose that's just how Cari rolls, I suppose.

/glances at OIAL's dialogue and constant referencing of TV/Netflix shows in the first chapter

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 918 Votes