VN Ren'Py Abandoned Eye of the Storm [Ch. 1-12] [Mr. Rigg]

3.30 star(s) 18 Votes

PPE2RedDucks

Oct 3, 2018
I thought he was named after one of those little 3-wheel pick-up vans ...

Like, the way he always has three legs ... left, right and middle leg ...

And keeps picking up the girls ... and transporting them all ...

The classic, horny old "any port in a STORM!" excuse, for shagging one girl after another ...

With his special little EYE constantly peeking out of his pants ... looking to get back on the road ... ogling them all ...

The rogue ... *sigh*

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Penfold Mole

RoadWulf

Engaged Member
Nov 18, 2018
So I'm disappointed obviously with the way this started.
It doesn't make me want to subscribe, it makes me want to stop playing the game. His current patrons should be pissed because they gave him money and he still did this.

It's like blackmail. "You aren't giving me enough money, so you don't get your version of the game until I get more."

Money and resources. The money and resources he has would be enough over longer time in order to put out a full update. You explain why, you put out posts in forums like this asking for help with money, but you don't punish the people already paying by saying they aren't giving enough to get the full version of an update.

It's really a dick move honestly.
If you can't put out a full version, don't put out a version.

Zonal12

Oct 7, 2017
It doesn't make me want to subscribe, it makes me want to stop playing the game. His current patrons should be pissed because they gave him money and he still did this.

It's like blackmail. "You aren't giving me enough money, so you don't get your version of the game until I get more."

Money and resources. The money and resources he has would be enough over longer time in order to put out a full update. You explain why, you put out posts in forums like this asking for help with money, but you don't punish the people already paying by saying they aren't giving enough to get the full version of an update.

That is very true, it's not like there's a hard must meet deadline for releases. It's not like blackmail, it's just that straight up. If you don't have the resources to get it done, just take longer to do it, but at least put out a decent release. Plus he could make a few of the paths combine to make things less demanding.

He's taking this route and railroading all of us players because it would p1ss the most number of people off. How he thinks it equates to more donations is beyond me, if anything, I fully expect him to lose patrons after this.

Reactions: jish55

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017

I'm not a Patron so I can not really speak for anybody on supporting this project.

However, I can not agree with your statement about taking longer to put out a full update.

Some devs get shit for not putting out a monthly update. And a lot of people will rather see something small then the promise of something big that never arrives. At least everyone knows the project is still alive.

I agree with that his message did not land well, but I think he was being truthful at least.
It's a lot of effort to dev all the paths in the game, and a few more Patreons would make it easier for him to spend more time developing the game. I do not think it is a good strategy, as there is already a backlash from this, but I can see where he is coming from.

duach

Apr 25, 2018
I'm not a Patron so I can not really speak for anybody on supporting this project.

However, I can not agree with your statement about taking longer to put out a full update.

Some devs get shit for not putting out a monthly update. And a lot of people will rather see something small then the promise of something big that never arrives. At least everyone knows the project is still alive.

I agree with that his message did not land well, but I think he was being truthful at least.
It's a lot of effort to dev all the paths in the game, and a few more Patreons would make it easier for him to spend more time developing the game. I do not think it is a good strategy, as there is already a backlash from this, but I can see where he is coming from.
There is a difference between taking time to develope the update, making sure that the contents quality is good and rushing the update without polishing the content wich... do I have to say more? I'd rather wait and get the good stuff. Yes i agree waiting suck big time but in the end it will be worth it!!!

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
What kind of name is Ape?
a shitty one, you can change it by opening script in the game folder and replacing "Ape" with whatever you want, remember to turn on case sensitive or some sentances will be screwed. i think there is like one instance of him spelling ape without the capital A but other than that it works flawlessly

jish55

Nov 23, 2017
So after having time to cool off from that disappointing ending and think on it more, I'm still pissed with how the creator is handling things, especially since the reason behind it is him demanding more money for more content. Now like I said before, it is work, and I agree he should be paid more, but this is also an adult game with okay renders, and a story that cannot compete with some other games, so we have that issue.

As someone pointed out earlier, because of how many paths he laid out, it does become a lot harder to keep up with all those, but that also means if it was becoming so difficult, he should have merged multiple paths together, probably through this update where he can streamline it and focus on the 3 girls (would still be disappointing, but at least it wouldn't have felt so out of place for those who didn't take the specific path he's now forcing us to take).

I guess what I'm saying is the way he's handling this is poorly done and isn't going to help him down the road if he wants to create another game (probably not since the last 2 updates are forcing people to go a specific way).

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Yeah it was kind of building up to something like that though, in previous chapters even if you make every choice to favor a relationship with Hildy (which I did, since she is the only one I would be interested in - well OK maybe Mrs. H if she demanded I get on my knees :sneaky:) she goes off and does stuff with G. That kind of sucked and I thought the dev was going to take away any option of being with her, so at least we got a chance with her in this update if you make sure to choose taking Mrs. H to the gas station first.
I actually had the choice of getting intimate with Hildy as well, but I went back to McDouchebag's place instead of the gas station.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
So after having time to cool off from that disappointing ending and think on it more, I'm still pissed with how the creator is handling things, especially since the reason behind it is him demanding more money for more content. Now like I said before, it is work, and I agree he should be paid more, but this is also an adult game with okay renders, and a story that cannot compete with some other games, so we have that issue.

As someone pointed out earlier, because of how many paths he laid out, it does become a lot harder to keep up with all those, but that also means if it was becoming so difficult, he should have merged multiple paths together, probably through this update where he can streamline it and focus on the 3 girls (would still be disappointing, but at least it wouldn't have felt so out of place for those who didn't take the specific path he's now forcing us to take).

I guess what I'm saying is the way he's handling this is poorly done and isn't going to help him down the road if he wants to create another game (probably not since the last 2 updates are forcing people to go a specific way).
I think the biggest problem is that he opened too many branches in the story as he went along. He should have limited the branches (maybe to 3, like you suggest) and fully developed those first. Do the full story, allowing for only 3 paths: let's say Lena, Haley, and Zenny, like he has most recently shown he really wants to do. All other characters currently with choices would have been only dialogue and otherwise would only be more minor characters in the story.

Once that's finished, go back and edit code to give choices to a single additional character. Continue adding until that character's path is finished, including making changes to other characters' reactions because of your cheating on them, etc. Rinse and repeat for however many additional characters you plan to make romanceable within the game.

It would be a fair amount of work overall, but that's basically what he was creating for himself in the first place. At least in the process I propose he'd have the story follow a logical, more satisfactory path to its conclusion. The additions of other characters' choices could then be bonuses, sort of like some post-completion stuff done with My Cute Roommate or whatever. This would also be far less likely to piss people off, and his patron base would probably continue to grow over time.

Reactions: botc76

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Can you have sex with Clara yet?
It's implied at the end of this chapter, which means you get a giant dick-tease that will never come to fruition. At the beginning of Chapter 12, Mr Rigg will tell you, "I'm a whining little child who didn't get my way with how much money I expected this game to bring in. As a result, although Clara came on to you, you leave her and go dry-hump G because I'm a lazy prick who likes to jerk my patrons around."

Keldar

Jul 23, 2018
I saw the start of this shit storm when I made my review for episode 9. I saw how choice started to mean less and less over time and saw how the quality of the story dropped. It doesn't now surprise me that over episodes 10 & 11 all pretense of choice is ended. I have some sympathy with the dev on this as branching choices are not additive but exponential in how fast they balloon. Just 2 choices per episode results in 2048 possible combinations in just 11 episodes and that is you 2 options per episode so you can see how quickly this can get out of hand especially with multiple girls and the plot line story developments.

Where my sympathies end is the way the developer is handling the issue. This ransom tactic also feels very questionable to me.

As I see things the dev made an honest mistake about how difficult endless branching choices gets (which is why most games don't have them) but he 1) is trying to ransom the game over the problem he created 2) his choice to eliminate all choice is creating a story arc that makes the MC very unlikable to people (at least according to a review i read as I stop playing the game ep9) 3) people are realising all their investment be it time and/or money may well be lost if the game ends with no pay off with the characters you wanted to pursue. All this makes for a lot of anger which all could have been avoided if the dev bothered to map out the story and the choice map. But he likely thought he was a genius who didn't need to do something as boring as an outline cuz he'd work it out as he went.

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah I stopped with the game, bc where is the point of forcing a path in a non kinetic VN?

Especially because I tried to avoid Zenny as much as possible bc I dont like her at all.

As others pointed out, he should have narrowed down the pathes to a manageable size instead of this solution.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Steinchen

Mar 3, 2017
hey dev what the fuck is that with this update???

i have never seen such a update since i begun to play this kind of games!!!
with this update you have just might stabbed your own project to death.
that was simply the stupiest idea i have ever seen to try to get more patreons and money (n) (n) (n) (n)
it do not work like that you now that right???
if you are making such updates you will NEVER get more Pantreons and more money.

Last edited:

sergesan

Aug 3, 2018
I realy dont understand the flow of the whole story!? the MC jumps from one direction to another without any meaning, tells storys to people who noone else in the world would trust...is there realy any story behind? it lets me only confused thinking what the hell are u doing APE ?? the people who have to know whats going on ,know nothing and the crzy ones become firsthand storytelling from APE

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Damn, this was actually one of my favourite games for a while, but last update already was bad, being unable to say no to cheating on Lena, now from what I read, I'm not even sure I want to play this update.

I don't get why the dev destroys his own game, yes he wants more money, perfectly understandable, but the way he turns it from choosing which girl to pursue to a kinetic novel, how's that not gonna piss off even his patrons?

Reactions: Abhai and Mormont

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
Damn, this was actually one of my favourite games for a while, but last update already was bad, being unable to say no to cheating on Lena, now from what I read, I'm not even sure I want to play this update.
I know a lot of people weren't keen on being with Lena but for me, she was my favorite and this is quite possibly one of the worst choices the dev could have gone for talk about shooting yourself in the foot :oops:

3.30 star(s) 18 Votes