3.80 star(s) 63 Votes

funog1

Modder
Mar 2, 2017

omegabox

Jan 3, 2018
It just seems like a weird way to enforce some sort of DRM and convince some people to buy the game to access all of the content the game has to offer.
But did they think about what would happen if the multiplayer was dead on arrival? How many people would actually want to play the multiplayer of such a game? What if you just happen to find out about this game much later? What happens if most of the community gets bored, leaves and the multiplayer is dead a year later? All that work on the animations and models exclusive to the multiplayer will have been a waste of time because there will be nobody to play with.
Considering that their patron number has doubled after announcing of a multiplayer mode, i'd say it's not quite likely. At least it has been a rather successful move to convert stalkers into customers and there's no hint that the growth trend will end soon.

Reactions: Dagod1166

grunt_pepper

Aug 8, 2017
It just seems like a weird way to enforce some sort of DRM and convince some people to buy the game to access all of the content the game has to offer.
But did they think about what would happen if the multiplayer was dead on arrival? How many people would actually want to play the multiplayer of such a game? What if you just happen to find out about this game much later? What happens if most of the community gets bored, leaves and the multiplayer is dead a year later? All that work on the animations and models exclusive to the multiplayer will have been a waste of time because there will be nobody to play with.
Seems to me they're going full retard if the newest update is anything to go by. Quoting from their Patreon:

As a solution Operation Lovecraft will be separated into two moieties upon official launch, and the two parts will be treated as two separate games:

Operation Lovecraft: Campaign, featuring all the safe for work part of the game: strategy, combat and story.

Operation Lovecraft: Paralogue, including nsfw gameplay only. While the campaign is safe for work, your progress in the campaign will be reflected in the nsfw playthrough of the Paralogue.
So not only will the vast majority of the content people were interesting in be relegated to a multiplayer mode that is dead-on-arrival (let's not kid ourselves, the percentage of guys that are going to be interested in masturbating each other off is minuscule), but now they've even removed the adult stuff from the game proper and relegated it to a wholly separate program.

grunt_pepper

Aug 8, 2017
Considering that their patron number has doubled after announcing of a multiplayer mode
It's questionable if that had to do with the multiplayer, or simply with the project as a whole gaining more popularity.

And that's still not an excuse for taking a big, fat shit on the other 50% of people that supported the project from the beginning, which isn't even the first time they've pulled a similar stunt either, since they threw the guys that paid for the non-monster first iteration of the game under the bus when they switched development over to the Lovecraft one.

Just as a reminder, the devs themselves basically stated that the MP would be dead without forced content exclusivity. My only hope for this dumpster fire now is that the devs see reason post-release and reintegrate both the NSFW and MP-exclusive content into one game, but that's unlikely to happen.

Oh, and this is just the cherry-on-top:

We will convert all your historically pledged tiers into Likes (the currency in Harem Mode) when the Paralogue goes online to give you a head start, and active Patron supporters will continue receiving bonus every month such as pose packs and vouchers. Although none of these rewards are paywalled in the game, we hope this can be a meaningful way to show how grateful we are for your heartwarming love and support. [Emphasis mine]
Well, now I know why they're pushing the MP so hard - they're trying to monetize the shit out of it. And yes, they do say "none will be paywalled", but nothing is paywalled in War Thunder either, you're just incentivized to hand over money so you don't have to grind. At least War Thunder doesn't ask you to pay upfront for the privilege of doing so.

Last edited:

Echo82

Aug 6, 2018
You all really should wait and complain when you see how it turns out when the multiplayer is live. For all you know, they may have the 2nd "player's" automated until someone joins the scene. Some people might like to enjoy the scenes for more than awhile and others pump it twice and then they are done. Complaining now is just pointless because none of us know what multiplayer will actually be like.

Reactions: MaestreOfChaos

grunt_pepper

Aug 8, 2017
That's a fair point - but the warning signs are all there.

Content exclusivity, in-game currency used to purchase even more MP-exclusive content, the original scope of the game being whittled away with every update.

This just reeks of developers getting greedy and thinking they can replicate the success of the big boys in gaming and their monetization schemes.

If the MP was going to have a bot system, they'd have announced it already to quell the obvious displeasure of people that were upset about the MP-exclusive content, but they've made it pretty clear that this is not how the MP will work. I'm more than ready to be corrected by someone else, but from what I gathered the MP will take place in big rooms featuring many users, and there is no possibility of creating invite-only instances.

Last edited:

clickandboom

Jun 20, 2020
It's questionable if that had to do with the multiplayer, or simply with the project as a whole gaining more popularity.

And that's still not an excuse for taking a big, fat shit on the other 50% of people that supported the project from the beginning, which isn't even the first time they've pulled a similar stunt either, since they threw the guys that paid for the non-monster first iteration of the game under the bus when they switched development over to the Lovecraft one.
To be fair, I wouldn't have pledged on their Patreon if the multiplayer exclusive stuff (especially galatea) is not there.

At least that looks like to be the only effective way to squeeze money from hardcore pirates like me. Dirty but effective, I'd give them that.

grunt_pepper

Aug 8, 2017
At least that looks like to be the only effective way to squeeze money from hardcore pirates like me. Dirty but effective, I'd give them that.
I'd have been willing to pay full price for the final product if it had been what they initially promised. The fact all the good stuff is going to be multiplayer only pretty much killed any interest I had for this game.

And there were plenty of other ways they could have guaranteed only legit costumers were going to get access to the content - yet they went at it in the most greedy and underhanded way possible.

I'll be frank, I genuinely doubt the game will gain enough traction in terms of multiplayer users to justify keeping the servers up for very long. Not unless they really push users to keep paying. If you want to see how niche projects like these price their stuff, just take a look at hardcore wargaming titles ala Combat Force or simulations like DCS and their prices.

clickandboom

Jun 20, 2020
I'd have been willing to pay full price for the final product if it had been what they initially promised. The fact all the good stuff is going to be multiplayer only pretty much killed any interest I had for this game.

And there were plenty of other ways they could have guaranteed only legit costumers were going to get access to the content - yet they went at it in the most greedy and underhanded way possible.

I'll be frank, I genuinely doubt the game will gain enough traction in terms of multiplayer users to justify keeping the servers up for very long. Not unless they really push users to keep paying. If you want to see how niche projects like these price their stuff, just take a look at hardcore wargaming titles ala Combat Force or simulations like DCS and their prices.
Guess what, if you put it comparatively, their biz model doesn't seem unacceptable. Illusion games are priced roughly $130+ for every title without DLCs upon launch (Just checked, AI Syoujyo was 13800 yen back then and 9800 yen now ) and that pricing strategy is what you call a plain joke.

Last edited:

grunt_pepper

Aug 8, 2017
If you put it comparatively, I don't really think their current model is unacceptable. Illusion games are priced roughly $130+ for every title without DLCs upon launch (Just checked, AI Syoujyo was 13800 yen back then and 9800 yen now ) and that pricing strategy is what you call a plain joke.
Yeah, but keep in mind their goal is to sell you DLC (or force you to buy in-game currency).

At least with Illusion games and the like, what you pay is what you get, and there's no threat that all your investments are gonna go down the drain when the developers decide to pull the plug on the servers - and that decision is wholly dependant on how many people use the multiplayer and pay for in-game currency and DLC.

The fact the project has already changed directions and scope so many times, and they're not even a third through development doesn't exactly fill me with all that much confidence, nor does their constant stream of excuses as to why the multiplayer is so essential to their success, or why the singleplayer and multiplayer can't be given equal attention.

Also, there's the simple fact I have trouble envisioning how the multiplayer will be engaging beyond a quick fap. At best it's going to be a glorified pose viewer with more than two participants (something that could have been done in SP as well), where two or more people control a bunch of sliders for speed and ejaculation.

And since the whole thing involves enforced anonymity, not even the ERP crowd gets what they want.

clickandboom

Jun 20, 2020
Yeah, but keep in mind their goal is to sell you DLC (or force you to buy in-game currency).

At least with Illusion games and the like, what you pay is what you get, and there's no threat that all your investments are gonna go down the drain when the developers decide to pull the plug on the servers - and that decision is wholly dependant on how many people use the multiplayer and pay for in-game currency and DLC.
Well, you will have to wait and see how it turns out upon release. It's their hard earned reputation at stack and if I were them I wouldn't risk it. We all know what happened to 2077.

I'm pretty sure the publisher is forcing their hands or swayed them in a way, come to think of it. All the fancy ideas about harem mode popped up after PH declared that they received Yostar and dlsite's support.

ipaxylog87

Jan 9, 2021
This just reeks of developers getting greedy
They've had a $295 "aristocrat" tier on their patreon for as long as I remember I don't think they just started getting greedy they've always been. Look at VaM in comparison the highest patreon tier is $8 and there's no bullshit DRM.
I remember back when Paralogue didn't exist they were teasing story mode stuff for the original Fallen Doll that never came to be. They then went on to make a whole new game from scratch it's almost like they don't want the developement to ever end cause they know they can make more money this way.

boobasnoopa

Nov 4, 2017
It's sad to see that game's creampie options are still pretty much non-existent with no pull out animations and after sex cum drip animations whatsoever. This is the same for the original game aswell.

Suit

May 11, 2019
One guy's take on the changes, which I also agree with:

Patreon User said:
This is the final nail in the coffin for me. I've been an on and off supporter with yourselves for a while, but that's it now as you continue to go down this route. The whole premise of this game was sold as an Adult game, and now you've relegated that to it's own programme to be a glorified flash gallery.

Then there's the whole multiplayer debacle, we all know you're only pushing this angle because you want to monetise online in some way. You've already stated how patreons will get some sort of currency for use in that mode, why is there even a currency to begin with? Not to even mention online only content, which you have also admitted that without which online would be dead. Nobody wants to play some online jerk-off simulator. This isn't what I put my money towards supporting.

I was sold on a full game with nsfw elements, not this blatant online money grab.

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
It's sad to see that game's creampie options are still pretty much non-existent with no pull out animations and after sex cum drip animations whatsoever. This is the same for the original game aswell.
Yeah. The original game as least have visible cum on the girl body if you choose to cum outside. In this game the cum fluid is barely visible
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: dzrealnuts
3.80 star(s) 63 Votes