3.80 star(s) 63 Votes

eva-unit01

Dec 12, 2018
Would you happen to have those quotes about skills/AI to hand?

I'd be shocked if Helius really has been working on single player of any kind given how they've started removing tags like or from the store, they've also been quoted saying the SFW spin off is dead as no one wanted it. The below is from Pasix but there are other quotes from Helius on this:

I believe they also originally made some claims about outsourcing this? It's hard to keep track though.

Anyway given that they were working on single player in various forms for so long without ever really showing anything I genuinely just think it's beyond them. Which seems like a fair bet given what their battlepass design looks like. I imagine any gameplay loop designed by these guys would be a Kafkaesque monstrosity, if they could even get it working in the first place.

Unless it comes hand in hand with rock solid and tangible evidence I'd personally assume anything Helius shows off or talks about is complete bullshit designed to try and keep the Patreon going.
Sure, here you go, and there more of it
1678992275673.png
1678992401475.png
1678992433902.png

There's even freakin' GDocs explaining them
1678992603601.png

Aug 13, 2020
Sure, here you go, and there more of it
-
I remember those, but considering Scamlius record, I remained skeptical until actual footage would be shown (none was).

Those lists are more like the stuff planned to work on. Sure, thats part of the work, but just the starting point.

VengefulKron

Aug 17, 2018
Nah they didn't spent a year working on it, if you do some research, you'll quickly see what happened.
If you go through Helius' history on the discord server, you'll see him talk (around july~october)about stuff like AI, skillset......stuff that cleary doesn't fit in the multiplayer thing they're selling.

IMO, this is what happened last year :
They release the multiplayer game mid/late january which is a buggy mess and barely "playable"
They started working on their "rebuild" late february and stopped around june.
Then radio silence about this rebuild (no news, no gameplay footage, screenshots) until late december when people started to get mad at Helius who resumed the developpement (and looking at the state this rebuild was at release 13 months after its announcement, yeah this was totally rushed)

What happened during those 6 months is that Helius, instead of working on the damn update, put everything on standby to start developping the "solo rogue-lite deck building tactical rpg" he's been talking about 2 years ago. Some proof of that is the flood of concept art stuff + news about skillsets/skill icon we got instead of rebuild footage.

Unlike what their moderators say, the issue isn't about Helius' perfectionnism or anything like that
The issue is that the guy just doesn't care about what he's making and people seem ok with that because he still have 15k+ subs on Patreon
I think by "perfectionism", they mean that Helius legit has an aversion to optimization. I remember a while back Helius said that he wasn't going to add any LOD meshes, because they look bad. Like... bruh, there's a reason LOD meshes are needed, you can't just not include them because they "look bad". I knew the moment he said that, harem mode was going to run like shit.

That same line of thinking is probably why the harem mode manages texture memory so poorly. Helius probably has every single character model using 8k textures no matter how far they are from the camera.

I have the game on Steam, but I haven't even bothered trying the update, considering they're apparently still having server issues (with less than 500 players), haven't improved performance by any meaningful amount, and implemented invasive new DRM. I don't have a problem with Denuvo on AAA titles, but considering how shady Helius is, that new Denuvo protection could be hiding something malicious in the executable. I ain't risking that.

eva-unit01

Dec 12, 2018
But why is this game multiplayer? Why make it weird? Is this a personal information theft scam?
It's multiplayer because they don't want filthy pirates playing their game for free

Yes it is weird knowing that there will be some guys fapping to the game while looking what you're doing

And it is probably already a patreon scam to milk money anyways, info theft would be the cherry on the cake

Reactions: cooldude33

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
And it is probably already a patreon scam to milk money anyways, info theft would be the cherry on the cake
I assumed it was an outright scam for a while but Helius paying for Denuvo suggests otherwise, that is not cheap (or popular with gamers) so he really seems to think he has something worth dumping $10-25k per month into protecting. Similarly the online only requirement doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd do if it was a pure Patreon scam where they conduct the bare minimum work and pander to subscribers to keep the money coming in.

I suppose the one caveat to that is that he may have convinced Denuvo not to charge until the game is "released," which would be in line with their standard terms:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If he never actually plans on releasing the game on Steam then perhaps it's all just a charade, but I think that explanation is hellishly convoluted.

The simpler explanation by far is that he's just an idiot that lied about his experience when starting the project and is essentially trying to put a full game together with a team of modders with no chain of command and nobody with any project management experience to take the reins. That would explain why they flip flop all over the place in terms of scope and direction, do alright with assets and animations but can't implement any even moderately complicated gameplay system or design ux worth a damn etc.

Hilarious project either way though. Almost worth the $36 just to watch it unravel in slow motion over the years.

benisfug

Aug 18, 2018
But why is this game multiplayer? Why make it weird? Is this a personal information theft scam?
Original answer was that they had some big hosting company invest in the game with the stipulation that it must be online multiplayer. Then it was because Helius deeply cares about the player experience and he thinks adding online grinding elements will stop players from burning through all the content too quickly and give them a sense of pride and accomplishment. The official answer has changed several times.

It's just an excuse for always online DRM and fomo.

sirretinee

Jul 17, 2018
Another day, another shitty excuse. It's almost as if the update was never tested because he wasn't working on it for an entire year and just rushed to shit it out last minute. But there's no way...right? Helius is an honest man and friend of the people.

View attachment 2476025
You know, I have this feeling, call it a hunch, but I think Pasix is going to be getting reaaaal familiar with God in a bit.

Zyro

May 27, 2017
Its almost as if they panic released an update to keep Patreon sub retention amirite. Lets spend money on paying for Denuvo instead of a decent server on a "multiplayer" game. This guy is an absolute fucking shitshow.

"God keep me". Yeah keep you in denial I guess. Helius has been using this guy for so long it makes me thinking if he's really doing this for free or if he's in a deep sunk cost fallacy.

Foost

May 16, 2020
Oh poor them, random anons being mean to them on the internets while they are doing their best to keep the community informed.

Meanwhile... tons of confused posts on Patreon on Steam, wondering why the game has not worked for two weeks. And not a single official notice about the downtime on the platforms where they collect money and distribute the "game".

NNikola

Aug 20, 2018
I am not for death threats to developers for not making game on time or meet some deadline, i am not for death threats to anyone, but also did he show proof that some on threats him ? this is same as CDPR saying we got a lot of death threats and never show any proof of it.

Developers/menagment is responsible for maintaineing hype for their game, and should make sure hype don't go overboard.

Reactions: MaestreOfChaos

Foost

May 16, 2020
I would not be surprised if they really received a lot of nasty messages. People are idiots and Internet anonymity does not help that. But they should just block them and move on. Instead they spend a lot of time writing whiney posts to collect Internet pity points, while not bothering to do their actual job.

3.80 star(s) 63 Votes