NightTrain

May 27, 2017
okay found the problem by reading the sh and comparing it to other games that crash in wine (sunshine love for example crashes instantly in wine because of the intro cinematic)
your linux executables (in the /lib folders) are compiled but shipped without execute permissions, so obviously the shell found the correct library but wasnt able to execute the file and shut down

running a chmod over them fixed that
Thanks for the feedback! I uncompressed the zip file produced by the renpy developer tool, and then re-zipped them, probably wiping out all the Linux permissions along the way. I'll have to avoid doing that next time I post a build.

How do you identify which files in the /lib folders needed chmod +x, or are they all executables?

seadart123

Oct 16, 2019
Is there a way to edit the inventory of a character, or at least force an event to register as completed? I'm stuck at giving Laura the double dildo because I accidentally gave it to her before the actual event triggered. I looked at the variable viewer in the developer menu and I can't see anything that might work.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
judging by what i found out by digging for permissions, im pretty sure most devs just went the lazy way and did a "chmod -r 755 MAINFOLDER" to be honest

also keep in mind you are just giving out execution permissions, nothing more, you are not trying to execute anything by doing that
so as long as noone tries to exec those files nothing bad happens anyways ... and if something in your code tries to exec them then they probably should have the permission anyways

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
I'm not sure when or why but the name change at the beginning didn't stick. After a while I was being called Pedro. I installed the event packs after I played some of the base game and continued from that save. Maybe the event pack content still has me as Pedro, on the next patch could you add a name change option in the preferences menu so the MC name can be changed at will? Thanks either way, really enjoying the game.
I'll bet the name change did stick, but you'll be disappointed you even have the option to pick your name. Andrey (or whatever you pick) Ivanov is your real name, but everyone calls you by your nickname, Pedro (Pedro Perestrello). So, you'll be called 'Pedro' by everyone. I think the only exception is Caprice, who sometimes calls you by your real name. I really don't know why the original developer set things up that why (why even ask for a name when everybody is going to call you something else).

But (not that it makes much difference), if you want to check your real name, go to the developer console (SHIFT-0) and enter
persistent.MCname​
If it's still Andrey, you can change it to whatever your want with
persisstent.MCname = 'Donho78'​
Type in 'exit' to get out of the developer console.

Reactions: Donho78

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
judging by what i found out by digging for permissions, im pretty sure most devs just went the lazy way and did a "chmod -r 755 MAINFOLDER" to be honest

also keep in mind you are just giving out execution permissions, nothing more, you are not trying to execute anything by doing that
so as long as noone tries to exec those files nothing bad happens anyways ... and if something in your code tries to exec them then they probably should have the permission anyways
Good idea. The folders themselves need execute permissions as well anyway, so like you said - nothing bad. I'll probably put chmod -r +x . in the FamilyLife.sh script, just in case 755 screws up write permission on some hidden log file or save file.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
Good idea. The folders themselves need execute permissions as well anyway, so like you said - nothing bad. I'll probably put chmod -r +x . in the FamilyLife.sh script, just in case 755 screws up write permission on some hidden log file or save file.
would probably be a good idea to check how they come out of the dev tool. renpy should compile just fine for linux and i dont believe every dev goes through their permission flags after every build. im not doing renpy, but i know we are a lazy bunch
oh and the shell script in the main folder is a 100% duplicate for other games (except for the file name ofc) so i dont think any1 has put a chmod in there either

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
Is there a way to edit the inventory of a character, or at least force an event to register as completed? I'm stuck at giving Laura the double dildo because I accidentally gave it to her before the actual event triggered. I looked at the variable viewer in the developer menu and I can't see anything that might work.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and I'll look into ways to prevent other player for running into this problem with Laura.

For you, the easiest way to get back-on-track, is to remove the item from Laura's inventory. You'll have to use the developer console (SHIFT-0), and enter
Laura.gifts.remove('doubledildo')​
Then you can buy another one to give to her.

Reactions: BeastMaster59

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
would probably be a good idea to check how they come out of the dev tool. renpy should compile just fine for linux and i dont believe every dev goes through their permission flags after every build. im not doing renpy, but i know we are a lazy bunch
oh and the shell script in the main folder is a 100% duplicate for other games (except for the file name ofc) so i dont think any1 has put a chmod in there either
Yes, I'm hoping that the problem occurred when I unzipped and then rezipped the file. Unfortunately, I'm stuck using Windows, and it's not easy to see what the file permissions are in the zip file (I can only see how Windows interprets the file permissions, which is probably different from everyone else, because windows doesn't have the concept of execute permission like linux does). I think I have a Raspberry Pi lying around that I can copy the zip file to and unzip it there to check the permssions, before I start modifying the shell script.

Anyway, thanks for you help with this.

seadart123

Oct 16, 2019
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and I'll look into ways to prevent other player for running into this problem with Laura.

For you, the easiest way to get back-on-track, is to remove the item from Laura's inventory. You'll have to use the developer console (SHIFT-0), and enter
Laura.gifts.remove('doubledildo')​
Then you can buy another one to give to her.
Okay, I figured it out. I just edited the save and set threads > lauraMFF > num to 1. The same thing can be done for any other event.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
setting up a small VM for different OS versions might come handy anyways thb
you can find alot of premade linux distributions for virtualbox for example

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
Okay, I figured it out. I just edited the save and set threads > lauraMFF > num to 1. The same thing can be done for any other event.
You should probably also add threads['lauraMFF'].done[0] = True (it may not matter in this case, but could in others).

Sazhm

Apr 29, 2018
I can't figure out how to progress foxyPhoto10, the hint says it's just talking to her at any point but I've tried different times and different places with no luck. Anyone know what's up?
I've done all the threads above Photo and can still progress the Wakeup thread.

EDIT: I was progressing other stuff and it seems to have proceeded on its own, maybe due to the babysitter photo thread?

Last edited:
Reactions: NightTrain

azureHeyHOO

May 9, 2020
Another user notified me earlier today that he couldn't play any Ren'Py games made with Ren'Py 7.4 or later (I'm using 7.4.2) and asked if I could redo the game using Ren'Py 7.3.5. Then your message came in, talking about issues with GL, and that reminded me that Ren'Py changed the minimum system requirements with Ren'Py 7.4, and only computer systems that support OpenGL 2.2 or DirectX 9.0c (and a few others) graphic systems will work now.

Anyway, I'm glad the version of the game generated with Ren'Py 7.3.5 works for you. You can download the other event packs from the OP, since they (hopefully) don't depend on the Ren'Py version. But, you may run into this same problem with other new Ren'Py games.
So far, it was only this game that it had this issue. Hopefully is the only one. Thanks again!

aghostis

Jun 8, 2017
This is one of the few renpy games that does not suffer from horrible code. Especially the green event notifiers are amazing!

NightTrain would you be willing to document your event system and provide a kind of framework? I really hope that this could improve future games.

The only change I made was:
in events.rpy

Code:
return (numDay >= evt_numDay + delta);
to

Code:
return (numDay >= evt_numDay + delta - 1);
and add a time back button.

so I don't have to wait a day for the next event in the chain.

Reactions: NightTrain

finndem

Aug 13, 2020
I can't figure out how to progress foxyPhoto10, the hint says it's just talking to her at any point but I've tried different times and different places with no luck. Anyone know what's up?
I've done all the threads above Photo and can still progress the Wakeup thread.

EDIT: I was progressing other stuff and it seems to have proceeded on its own, maybe due to the babysitter photo thread?
I've run into a bunch of things like that, honestly. Also, events that won't trigger when the conditions are met because other events have taken some sort of precedence, despite not being listed as prereqs.

Also, the nanny story reset thing also reset my gym membership. Not a huge deal with cheats enabled, but if someone is trying to play a non-cheat run, it could be a hit. Another thing w/ the nanny: the nannyPeek series doesn't trigger the event guide colored choices, so I've just been kinda stumbling into them.

Another, small thing: Was in the mall on Friday at 1400, went to buy something, noticed the green "go back to the mall" text. Went back, green text wasn't on Exit, but when I went to the map, it showed up again on Home.

Last edited:

ChaosDancer

Jun 22, 2017
Sorry, the johnnyLola thread is one that I forgot to include on the thread board, and left out of the hint system because it was too annoying. To complete the johnnyLola thread you'll need to drink with Johnny at the strip club (20:00-22:59 on Tuesday-Friday, Main floor) five or six times until a scene with Lola is triggered.

I'm working on adding the missing threads to the thread board, but need to figure out how to maintain old save files while making this change.
A question when i go to speak to him in the strip club i get the response "Johnny is busy right now.I shouldn't disturb him"

Any help?

Kein_NOD

Jul 22, 2017
Can anyone help me, how to activate "grey" events? In description written to be available must be completed another events. I've completed all available, but everything is still "grey". Two times I went with Laura (wife) to Adams family. I choose "spend time with girls" and after that still nothing also.

Sazhm

Apr 29, 2018
Can anyone help me, how to activate "grey" events? In description written to be available must be completed another events. I've completed all available, but everything is still "grey". Two times I went with Laura (wife) to Adams family. I choose "spend time with girls" and after that still nothing also.
If you hover over the grey thread name (i.e. Share in the first picture) it should tell you what it needs to be unlocked.

Kein_NOD

Jul 22, 2017
If you hover over the grey thread name (i.e. Share in the first picture) it should tell you what it needs to be unlocked.
Yes. But it looks like blocked. When event is available it has white color, like at this screenshot

Claudio83

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
I'm in the main hall at 21 but don't happen anything… what is missing to go ahead in the share route?

4.00 star(s) 21 Votes