derpy0815

May 2, 2017
while i would love to see this succeed, it simply keeps crashing at way too many events for me to keep playing it on a linux machine.
starting with linux version: crashes instantly
starting with wine: crashes at several crucial events (eg. meeting the neighbours) making whole routes unreachable

Donho78

Dec 16, 2017
Anyone know how to active the ginaLola thread? Guide says the johnnyLola thread needs to be finished. I can't find that thread.

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
That fixed for me! :D
Thanks for the fast response and fix. I did notice there wasn't the "uguu" file on the version you send it, which was auto-generating the functions? The 1.1 version had that, this one doesn't. I'm not a guru tech, but there was something fishy on there...
Another user notified me earlier today that he couldn't play any Ren'Py games made with Ren'Py 7.4 or later (I'm using 7.4.2) and asked if I could redo the game using Ren'Py 7.3.5. Then your message came in, talking about issues with GL, and that reminded me that Ren'Py changed the minimum system requirements with Ren'Py 7.4, and only computer systems that support OpenGL 2.2 or DirectX 9.0c (and a few others) graphic systems will work now.

Anyway, I'm glad the version of the game generated with Ren'Py 7.3.5 works for you. You can download the other event packs from the OP, since they (hopefully) don't depend on the Ren'Py version. But, you may run into this same problem with other new Ren'Py games.

Reactions: azureHeyHOO

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
got an error on Tamara Bachelorette party:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/sexTamara.rpy", line 650, in script
    jump expression location
ScriptError: could not find label 'guestroom'.
OK, first of all, how the hell did you get that far into the game in 24 hours? Do you not sleep?

Secondly, sorry about the bug. I'll post a patch for it, but since I don't want to be posting patches every few hours, I'll save up the bug fixes and post them every few days.

In the meantime, you can fix this bug yourself. Using your favorite text editor (or Notepad), you can open the file sexTamara.rpy in the 'game' folder, go to line 641, and change 'guestroom' to 'guest_room'. Make the same change on line 648. Then you should be able to continue playing.

And thanks for bringing this bug to my attention.

Reactions: kinghell

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
Anyone know how to active the ginaLola thread? Guide says the johnnyLola thread needs to be finished. I can't find that thread.
Sorry, the johnnyLola thread is one that I forgot to include on the thread board, and left out of the hint system because it was too annoying. To complete the johnnyLola thread you'll need to drink with Johnny at the strip club (20:00-22:59 on Tuesday-Friday, Main floor) five or six times until a scene with Lola is triggered.

I'm working on adding the missing threads to the thread board, but need to figure out how to maintain old save files while making this change.

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
while i would love to see this succeed, it simply keeps crashing at way too many events for me to keep playing it on a linux machine.
starting with linux version: crashes instantly
starting with wine: crashes at several crucial events (eg. meeting the neighbours) making whole routes unreachable
Unfortunately, there's not much I can do to support the linux version, since I can't test/debug anything myself. If you have the time and interest, you could try the version I included in this post, as the crash may be an issue with incompatible graphics systems.

Regarding the crashes in wine, if you can send me a save from before the crash (the most recent auto-save will do) and the crash report, I may be able to figure out how to get it working.

fadez

Oct 22, 2019
I'm stuck on ginaSeduce2. Not sure how to make the time 6-9 it skips from 4 to 10.

I'm patched with the latest version.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
Unfortunately, there's not much I can do to support the linux version, since I can't test/debug anything myself. If you have the time and interest, you could try the version I included in this post, as the crash may be an issue with incompatible graphics systems.
Tested this version a bit. The .sh doesnt start either, but running the .exe in wine works fine. Couldnt get it to crash yet.

Regarding the crashes in wine, if you can send me a save from before the crash (the most recent auto-save will do) and the crash report, I may be able to figure out how to get it working.
No savefile needed, just press start. Earliest crash is in the intro during the shoe store frame (images/intro/Laura3.webm). Only got arround that before by just skipping the intro.
Other Crash happens in the frame with (images/event0/Johnny/Meet/0/Family.webm OR insertion-15.webm), cant tell them apart in the image folder - which btw is missing from the newer version.
Both crashes do NOT happen with the older version you linked. There were quite a few more but i dont recall exactly when and dont have save files anymore.

Last edited:

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
I'm stuck on ginaSeduce2. Not sure how to make the time 6-9 it skips from 4 to 10.

I'm patched with the latest version.
Dude, you should try going to bed sometime reasonable, instead of wandering around aimlessly until you drop from exhaustion and end up sleeping until late in the morning! ;)

Head to the guest room (or bedroom if you've already made up with your wife) around 23:00 and go to sleep.

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
Tested this version a bit. The .sh doesnt start either, but running the .exe in wine works fine. Couldnt get it to crash yet.

No savefile needed, just press start. Earliest crash is in the intro during the shoe store frame (images/intro/Laura3.webm). Only got arround that before by just skipping the intro.
Other Crash happens in the frame with (images/event0/Johnny/Meet/0/Family.webm OR insertion-15.webm), cant tell them apart in the image folder - which btw is missing from the newer version.
Both crashes do NOT happen with the older version you linked. There were quite a few more but i dont recall exactly when and dont have save files anymore.

Attached the wine crashlog from the intro crash. Game Version was the basic 0.1.1+Event0 package from the front post plus the 0.1.2 patch added ontop.
Just for clarification, is it the version in the OP that fails (it fails to load at all in Linux, and crashes frequently in wine), and the version from the post above (in FamilyLife-renpy7.3.5.zip) fails when run directly in Linux, but seems to work in wine?

Looking at where the crashes occur, it seems the problem is with the video files (.webm) but the images are displayed properly (when using wine with the version in the OP). This makes sense because the makers of Ren'Py recently changed the way it handles videos, and as a result newer renpy games won't work on older windows systems (and that probably includes wine and other emulators) and some older linux systems. Don't ask me what they changed, or how to fix it, because I really don't know. But, the version in FamilyLife-renpy7.3.5.zip is made with an older version of renpy, which uses the old method of handling videos, and should work on more computers (but less efficiently, apparently).

Anyway, if the version in FamilyLife-renpy7.3.5.zip works well enough for now, I'd stick with that. If not, I'll need to do some experiments with a Linux box, to figure out what I can do to get the version running directly on Linux. Or maybe somebody else will be able to get the game running on Linux and can help us out.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
Just for clarification, is it the version in the OP that fails (it fails to load at all in Linux, and crashes frequently in wine), and the version from the post above (in FamilyLife-renpy7.3.5.zip) fails when run directly in Linux, but seems to work in wine?
yep thats correct so far. noticed that problem with wine crashes alot more recently (i guess the change in renpy explains that) but so far running them in linux always worked (running the shell script both directly or in terminal to be exact). the shell script usually checks the platform and loads the necessary libraries but somehow that doesnt work either on this game

Last edited:

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
yep thats correct so far. noticed that problem with wine crashes alot more recently (i guess the change in renpy explains that) but so far running them in linux always worked (running the shell script both directly or in terminal to be exact). the shell script usually checks the platform and loads the necessary libraries but somehow that doesnt work either on this game
Well, that's good news (you can at least play the game) and bad news. I would imagine that wine is more limited in what it can handle, but I'd expect everything to work in Linux. Mostly likely I screwed up when creating the package (both versions) in the renpy developer. It would be nice to get the Linux version (without wine) working. Did you got any error messages when running from the terminal, that may give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong?

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
Well, that's good news (you can at least play the game) and bad news. I would imagine that wine is more limited in what it can handle, but I'd expect everything to work in Linux. Mostly likely I screwed up when creating the package (both versions) in the renpy developer. It would be nice to get the Linux version (without wine) working. Did you got any error messages when running from the terminal, that may give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong?
okay found the problem by reading the sh and comparing it to other games that crash in wine (sunshine love for example crashes instantly in wine because of the intro cinematic)
your linux executables (in the /lib folders) are compiled but shipped without execute permissions, so obviously the shell found the correct library but wasnt able to execute the file and shut down

running a chmod over them fixed that

Last edited:

Donho78

Dec 16, 2017
I'm not sure when or why but the name change at the beginning didn't stick. After a while I was being called Pedro. I installed the event packs after I played some of the base game and continued from that save. Maybe the event pack content still has me as Pedro, on the next patch could you add a name change option in the preferences menu so the MC name can be changed at will? Thanks either way, really enjoying the game.

derpy0815

May 2, 2017
just doublechecked again to make sure it wasnt something i fucked up while testing xD
after unzipping your libs all have rw- rw- r-- permissions
while pretty much every other game ships with rwx r-x r-x

4.00 star(s) 21 Votes