VN Ren'Py Abandoned Family Man...? [v9.1] [MoleMan]

3.50 star(s) 30 Votes

buff

May 29, 2017
Why do people need their hand to be held?
Not so much that, as wanting to make sure you don't miss any content. (For me, anyway. Maybe I am a bit of a completionist.) If a game is complete I like to playthrough once without a walkthrough, then again with one so as to ensure I hit evertyhing. Especially true if I spent money on the thing, i want to see all those boobies I paid for.

• Haha
Reactions: MMstudios

buff

May 29, 2017
Not to mention, I doubt that the devs of any of those games are working with just one computer, by themselves, while going to work full-time, and raising a kid--again, by themselves.
SunsetRiders7 is really good about releasing monthly.

Well, he was. Unfortunately he shifted to a bimonthly schedule; software amateurs typically think that fewer releases per year means more productivity (it intuitively makes sense... Less overheard, right?), but it almost always means the opposite for various reasons. Now he only releases six times a year and no longer hits the first of the month, although he does still pretty much guarantee a "window" (i.e. he won't be more than a week or two late).

buff

May 29, 2017
I like the update, but like others have mentioned it's pretty slim given the time since the last.

I fully understand you have other obligations - but that doesn't change facts.
As the storyline starts branching, this is more of a problem in games. One reason I don't really mind "illusion of choice" in one-man games is because you get more playable content. Once a game has 2-4 branches that all have multi-render H-scenes in each update, you can sometimes find yourself waiting a couple months for an update and find that the track you are on has 2 minutes of playable content. :-( If you want to see everything you are paying for you need to (a) have multiple trains of savegames, which is a PITA in RenPy, especially since most games do not let you put comments on your saves and it is hard to remember that sort of detail for months when you play a lot of these games, (b) have a walkthrough that keeps you on the maximum-content harem path, or (c) be playing a game where the content does little or no meaningful branching.

That's just life. Developer time is the limiting factor on most indy games. If the story line branches N ways, it moves forward 1/N times as fast. In this case, the relatively minor branch of how you are handling the secretary caused a lot of content to be hidden or not hidden, so the playthrough seemed relatively short considering how much actual stuff was shipping with it.

Reactions: Freezer14

buff

May 29, 2017
So normally you can skip already seen text (or in this case) you can skip already see. Text on a path you have explored. So at anytime if holding CTRL doesn’t skip, it means you are on a new path. For this update however, a lot of the earlier paths don’t believe you have been on them yes as I made so many changes to them.
I've noticed this as well. My understanding is that RenPy should recognize that we've seen a screen before, even on a different playthrough, unless you actually pasted the same dialogue code into the game twice. If you can use if/else logic and variables to control the flow instead so the actual dialogue is only in the game once, it would be a bit better in a few ways:

* if you make a change you only have to do it in one place
* you can see the flow of the program by looking at it, without having to go crazy jumping around your .rpy files
* file size is a little smaller and code executes a little faster
* Most importantly to the player, when players play an alternate path, they can hold down ctrl and zoom through the stuff common between paths, but it automatically stops at the parts that are different. This is a huge feature of RenPy's VN engine since it lets you explore choices in an intuititive way and easily see what changes as a result of your decisions. If you are going to make a branching game, you really should consider trying to take advantage of it; it's very nice for the player and people used to RenPy VNs are expecting it to work.

MMstudios

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2018
I've noticed this as well. My understanding is that RenPy should recognize that we've seen a screen before, even on a different playthrough, unless you actually pasted the same dialogue code into the game twice. If you can use if/else logic and variables to control the flow instead so the actual dialogue is only in the game once, it would be a bit better in a few ways:

* if you make a change you only have to do it in one place
* you can see the flow of the program by looking at it, without having to go crazy jumping around your .rpy files
* file size is a little smaller and code executes a little faster
* Most importantly to the player, when players play an alternate path, they can hold down ctrl and zoom through the stuff common between paths, but it automatically stops at the parts that are different. This is a huge feature of RenPy's VN engine since it lets you explore choices in an intuititive way and easily see what changes as a result of your decisions. If you are going to make a branching game, you really should consider trying to take advantage of it; it's very nice for the player and people used to RenPy VNs are expecting it to work.
Yes buff, unfortunately I discovered that about halfway through v6.0 so I had already established a format for my code and got comfortable with it.

Size wise it actually doesn’t make much of a difference as my script file (as crazy long as it is) is still under 1Mb.

I’m thinking this game is going to go similar to DMD where there will be separate sections (like he has chap 1,2 and 3 that are separate DLs). Mine would likely have 2 for the full story.

Also, to reinforce your point about size in relation to multiple paths. When I said this was my largest update, that was solely based on number of renders, which this one had 267 (or thereabouts). Not any one path contains all 267 so the paths are of various lengths with the “husband route” being the shortest.

On a different note, topped 100 patrons last night, so only 2-300 more and I can quit my job and make this my full time gig! Hahahaha!

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
Heh. She is legit not as hot as most 90% 98% of the H-game princesses out tehre, that's true. But honestly, if she was a girl you knew IRL, you'd think she was "pretty cute", maybe kind of a butterface (rockin' body, kind of a meh face), and be OK with that. I actually like that she looks a little different.

Besides, I have a theory here. Bear in mind she's jailbait right now, guys. And MM has already confirmed there will be a time jump. (Please, please, PLEASE, do not let it be tied to non-avoidable pregnancy fetish. I can't handle another good game being wrecked by that shit.) Given the well known H-game phenomenon of teenaged females being mysteriously biologically delayed by a few years, I suspect that between 17 and 18 she'll have the sort of "blossoming" years that most girls get between 14 and 16, and she'll come out of the time jump with a noticeably prettier face.
H-games?

Darkmetal

Jul 6, 2019
Just played this game for the first time and found it really enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing how it goes
...but bro, you really got to work on smoothing out those tit-bounce anims a bit :D!

Cheers (y)

MMstudios

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2018
Just played this game for the first time and found it really enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing how it goes
...but bro, you really got to work on smoothing out those tit-bounce anims a bit :D!

Cheers (y)
Glad you enjoyed and they aren’t animations, just a series of renders that ren’py flips through fast, so that’s why they are choppy lol. When I can afford a new machine, I will go even better than what I have so I can start doing full animations which will obviously greatly improve the quality.

Reactions: Darkmetal

rick87

Jul 16, 2017
Mr.Dots at this point has a pretty large team, hardly the same league as most devs anymore same for those making Haley's Story, they are multi dev teams.

Project Hot Wife has yet to have an update worth a shit, Time Loop Hunter is okay but updates are minimal. Good Girl Gone Bad same, it's good but still minimal updates. Secret Fever has pretty basic updates.

Good games but hardly anything ground breaking when it comes to updates.

Now take devs like DPC, Philly, Knobbs, OMVN, Notty, Domiek, Runey and Cheeky that have quite large updates of incredibly high quality when they launch and take their time to do so. Most of which have well over an hours worth of content.

There is a massive gap in quality between the ones you listed and those that take their time.
i like how you chose to leave out of your comments on the games i listed Adventures of Willy D, game that is totally animated, has 3 to 5 sex scenes per update and still takes just 3 weeks for a new update. the quality there is on par with DPC and Philly and well above OMVN and Notty.

btw i don't see how you can call Times Loop Hunter updates minimal, unless you cheat to jump from scene to scene it takes about 1 hour to complete an update and that if you follow a walkthrough, if you play on your own solving each puzzle it'll take two times that, just about the same quantity of content you can get from Domiek and Runey.

also, with Heavy 5ive, i don't really know there what great quality you're praising, in that game up to now there was only one animated sex scenes and the quality was extremely poor, even the renders there are nowhere on par with those from the other devs you listed. maybe you were praising the story, and even if that is the case i don't see any massive gap in quality from that and let's say GGGB, that one has a way bigger plot and alternative paths, like 3 times bigger, and i would know since i was making the walkthrough for Heavy 5ive.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
i like how you chose to leave out of your comments on the games i listed Adventures of Willy D, game that is totally animated, has 3 to 5 sex scenes per update and still takes just 3 weeks for a new update
I've never played it. I won't comment on what I haven't played.

rick87 Avaron1974 please continue by PM
I know you're a mod and all that jazzies so i'll be totally respectful but i'd rather not have random folk pm'ing me. I'm not looking for an in depth chat about shit i'm not all that interested in.

I'll drop it now.

Rude Roy

May 20, 2019
Glad you enjoyed and they aren’t animations, just a series of renders that ren’py flips through fast, so that’s why they are choppy lol. When I can afford a new machine, I will go even better than what I have so I can start doing full animations which will obviously greatly improve the quality.
You ever going to fix the face on the younger daughter? All the rest of the women are at least decent looking, but she looks like a down's syndrome oompa loompa

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
You ever going to fix the face on the younger daughter? All the rest of the women are at least decent looking, but she looks like a down's syndrome oompa loompa
You don't go outside much do you? It's nice when variety and diversity is reflected in games as well. Life ain't picture perfect. And your preference and beauty standards is not necessary shared by everyone else's.

3.50 star(s) 30 Votes