Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not sure what game you've been playing but why put choices in a game if they don't affect the outcome? That's just bad. I've always games with a great story, so I roll my eyes whenever game developers create a game with potentially branching choices that lead to the same outcome, that's just bad storytelling. It'd be completely different if they had several different story arcs planned and just focused on them one at a time.
The game is maybe 1/5 finished, so complaining that the "choices.... don't affect the outcome" seems a wee bit premature. Right now the choices impact how Monica experiences the story (except in the cases where you get the happy endings, which seem to contradict your idea that choices don't affect the outcome) but the story delivers you to pretty much the same spot regardless of your choices (again, happy endings excepted) because that's the most efficient way to get to the interesting part of the story. How Monica gets into trouble isn't nearly as interesting as "if and how" she gets out of it. If there aren't meaningful choices in episodes 3 and onward, then your arguments will have some weight.

Hercule_Poirot

Aug 22, 2016
Look, I'm not saying that she doesn't need to end up in trouble. What I'm saying is that people don't react according to her personality, she can be polite all she wants, but nothing seems to matter beyond a shallow remark such as "oh, thank you Ms. ASDF". She could get out of her awful predicament waaaay faster by being polite instead of being bitchy (I'm talking about little things, such as the housing problems, because...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Why? Simply because people will WANT to help her, so it doesn't make sense whatsoever if you've helped several people or treated them well, because they don't help you whatsoever, they just turn a blind eye to your problems, and that'ts it. I'm not asking for a magical solution, it's just that people in the game who can actually help you by doing little favors, like you've already done for them, do nothing to help you whatsoever. Another fact that is somewhat annoying is that sometimes you can only be bitchy, or bitchier.

I'm aware that this is just the first chapter,but that's not the problem. Would it make sense for people who turned their back on you to help you in the second chapter? Will they suddenly grow a conscience? or a pair of balls?(if they fear punishment from someone who has power over them)

PS: My opinion is about the content currently available, which is Episode 1 v0.5. The fact that multiple aspects of the game might change in future episodes doesn't contradict the fact that at the moment Episode 1 is not only linear, but also absurd from a decision making POV.

Ragnaroekr

Apr 26, 2017
Just played your game @DecentMonkey .... I am mind blown... The renders are fantastic. I like slow pace because lot of game creators just rush through the story by having dicks flying and banging everything which spoils the entire fun....
I also got teary eyed for the bad end....I mean although she was a bitch most of the times, seeing her struggling with no money and sleeping at random places made me sad.

I am just curious ....What daz model is Monica? She looks amazing.... especially her long legs.
As far as I know, Monica is DecentMonkey own creation. ;)

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Look, I'm not saying that she doesn't need to end up in trouble. What I'm saying is that people don't react according to her personality, she can be polite all she wants, but nothing seems to matter beyond a shallow remark such as "oh, thank you Ms. ASDF". She could get out of her awful predicament waaaay faster by being polite instead of being bitchy (I'm talking about little things, such as the housing problems, because...
Why? Simply because people will WANT to help her, so it doesn't make sense whatsoever if you've helped several people or treated them well, because they don't help you whatsoever, they just turn a blind eye to your problems, and that'ts it. I'm not asking for a magical solution, it's just that people in the game who can actually help you by doing little favors, as as you've already done, do nothing to help you whatsoever.
If you believe this, then you haven't had Monica be nice enough to Dick. If Mocia is nice to Dick, he does exactly as you suggest and

Another fact that is somewhat annoying is that sometimes you can only be bitchy, or bitchier.
This is true, but, again, probably necessary to keep the game path simple enough to model. If this were absolutely freeform, we presumably wouldn't play Monica so clueless and careless that all of her problems could pile up like they do in the game, and there would be no game.

I'm aware that this is just the first chapter,but that's not the problem. Would it make sense for people who turned their back on you to help you in the second chapter? Will they suddenly grow a conscience? or a pair of balls?(if they fear punishment from someone who has power over them)
I don't expect many people to come out of the woodwork to help Monica in Chapter 2, no matter how she treated them. Her most charitable attitude is condescension, which doesn't inspire love.

PS: My opinion is about the content currently available, which is Episode 1 v0.5. The fact that multiple aspects of the game might change in future episodes doesn't contradict the fact that at the moment Episode 1 is not only linear, but also absurd from a decision making POV.
I don't find the decision-making absurd at all. I have played the game as a "bitch" and as a "shy girl" and found that, while the story ended in the same place, Monica's experiences differed, sometimes substantially.

Hercule_Poirot

Aug 22, 2016
I actually did finish the episode and got that same scene you mentioned with Dick, but...

Look, I'm not asking the dev to make a game completely open to several scenarios, but she should at least have a little more leeway regarding her personality and perspective. As simple-minded as you expect this game to be, she should be able to think logically and to at least do anything other than being bitchy and condescending, and by the way, if those are the only personality traits available for her, that'd fall under the dev's responsibility.

Nowadays, more often than not, people actually help each other, that's human nature, doing otherwise would be counter-intuitive.

So she could either end up being treated awful or even worse, yay for such a wide variety of options. With that in mind, this game doesn't benefit of the sandbox style. Maybe this episode could work better as a visual novel. (only this episode, next episodes could work better as a sandbox, who knows...)

You might consider putting very specific parts of your answer in a spoiler tag.

Ragnaroekr

Apr 26, 2017
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere in the post.

I had a quick question, see spoiler tags below:

Ep1 is a prologue of the story, so there are h-scenes, but besides the bj none with Monica yet. These are planned in Ep2, wich will be released in 15-20 days... version 0.1 of course ;)

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
New German version
Police station
Monica
sentence untranslated (russian)

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/00_Functions/scene_controller.rpy", line 86, in script call
    pause
  File "game/00_Functions/objects.rpy", line 216, in script call
    call expression func_name pass (name, inventory[idx], inventory_data, data) from _call_expression_2
  File "game/tl/german/Inventory/default_actions_refuse.rpy", line 7, in script
    "[item_descriptiont] und? Ich kann das nicht benutzen!"
  File "game/00_Functions/01_init_python.rpy", line 95, in saywrapper_execute
    renpy.say(who, what)
KeyError: u'item_descriptiont'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    pause
    call expression func_name pass (name, inventory[idx], inventory_data, data) from _call_expression_2
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1828, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1816, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 177, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
    renpy.say(who, what)
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1199, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1003, in __call__
    what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=translate))
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\character.py", line 985, in sub
    return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\substitutions.py", line 242, in substitute
    s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
 EP1COMPLETED720p
Mon Oct 29 10:27:24 2018

Ragnaroekr

Apr 26, 2017
Code:

While running game code:
    pause
    renpy.say(who, what)

Full traceback:
    pause
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1828, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1816, in call
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 177, in call
    renpy.say(who, what)
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1199, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1003, in __call__
    what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=translate))
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\character.py", line 985, in sub
    return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
  File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\substitutions.py", line 242, in substitute
    s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
 EP1COMPLETED720p
Mon Oct 29 10:27:24 2018
oO
I suggest, write DecentMonkey a pm...

Rasmussen

Sep 19, 2018
I actually did finish the episode and got that same scene you mentioned with Dick, but...

Look, I'm not asking the dev to make a game completely open to several scenarios, but she should at least have a little more leeway regarding her personality and perspective. As simple-minded as you expect this game to be, she should be able to think logically and to at least do anything other than being bitchy and condescending, and by the way, if those are the only personality traits available for her, that'd fall under the dev's responsibility.

Nowadays, more often than not, people actually help each other, that's human nature, doing otherwise would be counter-intuitive.

So she could either end up being treated awful or even worse, yay for such a wide variety of options. With that in mind, this game doesn't benefit of the sandbox style. Maybe this episode could work better as a visual novel. (only this episode, next episodes could work better as a sandbox, who knows...)

You might consider putting very specific parts of your answer in a spoiler tag.
Funny thing is I actually agree with everything you said so far in your posts and said similar in previous posts. The game for episode 1 is linear and is more of a VN that doesn't take advantage of the foundation/mechanics set for the games model.

I think at this point either peoples' interpretation is "X" criticism is because they haven't played it (which is untrue) or they interpret it as the need for branching which no one is saying it is a necessity (although it does lend to the games structure and a few paths added isn't "terrible" like people seem to portray it as). There are plenty of things you can do to create variance by dead ends or stat implications that have outcomes without adding multiple story branches. I think my whole gist of it was at least have it play like a game since you are building it like one. Take advantage of the empty space you have created.

The game as a whole feels hollow/empty atm though (at least for this to be a first "completed" episode). I'm hoping the praise being heaped in some posts isn't overshadowing what could be credible constructive criticisms thus leading to an adjunct episode 2. :FeelsBadMan:

I honestly like the foundation and what has been set so far, but it needs more "oomph" and more things that add to it playing like an actual game. I think if that happens it can probably be one of the most popular games here.

Maybe I just don't get it though and that is the reason why this is being hashed out in "episodes" not just "updates". My question(s) in all of this is was the intent to make this a game or a VN? If it is a VN what is the point of the intricate systems/setup for play style? If it is a game then why isn't the system setup being taken advantage of to the potential that is there? :FeelsBadMan:

Ragnaroekr

Apr 26, 2017
Maybe I just don't get it though and that is the reason why this is being hashed out in "episodes" not just "updates". My question(s) in all of this is was the intent to make this a game or a VN? If it is a VN what is the point of the intricate systems/setup for play style? If it is a game then why isn't the system setup being taken advantage of to the potential that is there? :FeelsBadMan:
Well, the intention of the dev was and is that Ep1 is a prologue. You learn about Monica, her life and circumstances and why she is where she is now. The choices you made in Ep1 do have an impact on the following Ep's. As far as I know, DecentMonkey has a script up to Ep3. The "game character" should be more visible in Ep2, which first version will be released in 15-20 days.
I understand the people who complain about too less visible results of their choises they made. But I just can give you the hint to wait what comes next. Though Ep1 is finished, the game itself isn't by far.

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
bugs

New
German version
clothing store
after awakening
russian word untranslated

German version
in the time when you must wait for Dick
sport studio
first sentence German after this all untranslated in russian

German version
clothing store
after clerk masturbate

While running game code:
pause
File "game/00_Functions/scene_controller.rpy", line 139, in script call
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
File "game/00_Functions/scene_controller.rpy", line 81, in script call
call expression autorunFunc from _call_expression_7
File "game/tl/german/Quests/Hostel/Hostel_AfterJail.rpy", line 915, in script
"Vor Dick sollte ich zu 100% hübsch sein."
renpy.say(who, what)
ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xfc) at index 29

Full traceback:
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
self.call("execute")
renpy.say(who, what)
File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1188, in say
what = what % tag_quoting_dict

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
EP1COMPLETED720p
Mon Oct 29 12:45:41 2018

Rasmussen

Sep 19, 2018
Well, the intention of the dev was and is that Ep1 is a prologue. You learn about Monica, her life and circumstances and why she is where she is now. The choices you made in Ep1 do have an impact on the following Ep's. As far as I know, DecentMonkey has a script up to Ep3. The "game character" should be more visible in Ep2, which first version will be released in 15-20 days.
I understand the people who complain about too less visible results of their choises they made. But I just can give you the hint to wait what comes next. Though Ep1 is finished, the game itself isn't by far.
There is already enough content to play through here though where the decisions should mean "something" and I can pinpoint several areas where the game sets that expectation and does not deliver. Loads of the areas have not been utilized at all, but for mere stepping stones in a story line where likelihood of returning to those areas is very slim if at all (quite simply put the story set/told doesn't lend to it or presents point in it from a logical sense). If the dev gets board and decides to bread crumb it back to those areas to force meaning out of them "maybe", but there is already advantage/setup there to be had for returns had there just been outcome in the decisions. That is probably why I or others may feel that saying those decisions mean something in episode 2 seems unlikely or that it could have meant something now where it just wasn't utilized. Previous RPGM versions didn't lose anything from lack of decisions because it subsidizes it with tedious game play that is already built into that system (which most people hate and is the deterrent for using it). Now that you are on a different vehicle that removes all of that you have to then build in actual game play and give it meaning which episode 1 is lacking in (and it needs to be there especially for an erotic game you are building in ren'py). Typically most games I've seen here have gone from RPGM to Ren'py remake of the same content to DOA because there was just never that adjustment made and the drought from lack of new content.

Example:

Also stating it is a "prologue" isn't accurate. That may have been the intent, but it was clearly labeled "episode 1" and with the amount of content to play through should mean it has function following introduction. I also don't like the idea of piece milling it and dissecting it into "episodes" as well because in that manner again it lends to the idea of "VN" not "game" thus contributing to the confusion when game play is lacking. You are playing this out like chapters in a book or episodes in a TV series not a game. Right now it has been version updates of an episode where you are expecting something to be playable only to realize you're just really reading a story because there isn't anything to play (no purpose nor outcome).

I also think those statements lends to the interpretation that the intent is to string me along by hopes on future episodes instead of beliefs that the next episode is actually going to be even better. If that is the case then that leads to a bigger disappointment or letdown if it doesn't meet that expectation (even likelihood I may not touch it again). I think too many game devs produce that feeling out of the audience they cater to which leads to argumentative threads about them or needless bashing rather than the contrast of excited banter you may find on threads like Summertime Saga. They already know the game so far is good they can't wait for the next update and are willing to wait months for it. They aren't pinned on because they are "hoping" for it to go somewhere or be good. For a newer game you should look to set that feeling out of the gate. It prevents underwhelming updates from being a shutdown/deathblow to it and more of a feeling just not all specific expectations were met. From the iterations of episode 1 to me it has felt like a slow decline so far (yes I played the RPGM version to the "thank god it is finally ren'py" versions till now).

More than any of the above I think there is always room for constructive criticism on any game for future improvement. The statements I or some others have made weren't implicitly made to put down the current work. It was quite the contrary, and were to portray potential means to make this a play more like a game or make it better. I overall like the foundation set (said that many times), but there are clear holes in it so far that need to be filled. Often times that leads to more work/time spent to fill them while already under constrained resources (DM needs more support for his work). I kind of hope what good criticisms people offer here aren't drowned out or undermined so that something already pretty good is made great for everyone to enjoy and the dev to truly be proud of. It doesn't always feel that way though when you read "XYZ User" heaping praise and stating "don't listen to them you're doing fine" especially when some people go out of their way to write it in a very well intended and professional manner. :FeelsBadMan:

TL;DR I'm going to "hope" though right now and wait for episode 2 at the end of the day. I just also hope though that when it comes around something already pretty good isn't squandered because what was said was taken the wrong way or pushed to be back of the bus because others felt it was an attack on something they enjoy. I really do like what is here so far because it was crafted to be a very glossy good game just right now it doesn't play like one at all.

EDIT: Sorry I got wordy in my response. :FeelsBadMan:

Ragnaroekr

Apr 26, 2017
bugs

New
German version
clothing store
after awakening

German version
in the time when you must wait for Dick
sport studio
first sentence German after this all untranslated in russian

German version
clothing store
after clerk masturbate

While running game code:
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
renpy.say(who, what)

Full traceback:
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
pause
label call_save():
self.call("execute")
renpy.say(who, what)
File "D:\Downloads\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\FashionBusiness-EP1COMPLETED720p-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1188, in say
what = what % tag_quoting_dict

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
EP1COMPLETED720p
Mon Oct 29 12:45:41 2018
Many thanks for your report. I wrote the dev about your error. Also checked the german translation file. I found some mistakes, but none you mentioned. They are correctly translated. I guess the problem is the transcription from the translation file in the game by implementing it. The dev will also check that.

3.50 star(s) 222 Votes