Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
I'll do the honours

Hey guys! Sorry for the late report. I started writing this yesterday but realised I wasn’t sure what I wanted to say.
I’d prefer it if I could always report fast progress. But last week was a total fucking grind, and I covered less ground than I expected to. I’ve been feeling stressed out because it’s not in the place it should be. Things that should be quick are going slow. Yesterday I was just feeling dejected and inadequate to the task.

“No, they don’t [get easier to write], and the reason is that your expectations seem to always race ahead of your abilities…I’m sure I’m a better writer today than I was 10 years ago. But your expectations keep going a little bit faster. You’re always in competition with yourself.”
– TOM CLANCY
I’ve been struggling with a scene that (a) is really good, and came about 100% through conversations with female Female Agent fans about their own experiences of girls’ nights out – I’d never have imagined it on my own. But also (b) it’s not actually a sex scene, so I feel anxious about spending much dev time on it.
It was filled with placeholder text that I expected to just blast through. But instead, everything I tried to do turned to shit and the more I tried to speed up, the worse it got. I imagine the Wehrmacht felt like this at Stalingrad, only this was much worse than Stalingrad because it was happening to me. The struggle was undermining my confidence and amping up my stress/fear levels because this isn’t even a sex scene, it’s just a setup and why is it taking me so fucking long?!
I realised last night that these negative thoughts aren’t speeding me up. If anything they’re slowing me down. Part of me feels like I should be feeling guilty and miserable when the game is behind schedule. But not if that slows down production, right?
Today I made a conscious effort to stop worrying about where it should be, and just work on where it is. Stop trying to finish it fast, just try to finish it. Trust that, for reasons I don’t fully understand, I need to spend more time on this scene than I expected, and the results will be worth it.
That’s right: my inner monologue started sounding like a filthy hippy. But I was desperate, so I tried it...and it actually fucking worked. Everything that was wrong with the scene was easy to fix once I committed to giving the characters (including the heroine) enough room to talk and breathe and think.
It’s hard to say more without dropping spoilers, but I feel like this situation is now unfucked and this week will be better than last week. I’ll push as hard as I can and report progress Soon™.
I'm sorry this is moving so slowly, guys. I just want it to be done and out so I can move on to the next episodes. I promise I'm working as hard as I can and doing my best.

Apr 3, 2019
Writing is so hard. You guys don't get it. Writing is the hardest job ever. Forbes even made an article called "Writers - Worst Job Conditions Ever". It's really fucking hard. The hardest. Even the scientists came by and confirmed that it was the hardest job they've seen. It's just the hardest, it never gets easier.

Also, insert crab hands joke.

• Haha
Reactions: okfairenough

applesnacks1111

Aug 15, 2021
Does anyone have that schedule Crush posted about his release plan for the next few months? I have a feeling, with how delayed the very first release in that schedule is turning out to be, that he might miss the next one, too.

Kristof29

Aug 6, 2016
Oh boy, he will miss it.
What do you mean will miss? He already has missed it. The delayed updated was supposed to come out at the end of last month. The public version of that update should have been released right about now by his own schedule.

I used to look forward to updates but most devs follow the same pattern as this one. Good quality content but there is so little of it after so long it doesnt really satisfy.

Jun 21, 2021
What do you mean will miss? He already has missed it. The delayed updated was supposed to come out at the end of last month. The public version of that update should have been released right about now by his own schedule.

I used to look forward to updates but most devs follow the same pattern as this one. Good quality content but there is so little of it after so long it doesnt really satisfy.
Trust in the process one delayed update is normal.

Hardor

May 29, 2020
You could chose more than one kink in some of the older versions. If you've got a copy of 1.15 you can create a character with both kinks and progress from there.
You can also use the save editor and add like hundred times the missing trait(s). It's slow, but quite easily doable.

okokok

Aug 19, 2016
Another treading water update

[Ep 1.17 “Girls’ Night Out”] Head down, ass up
Hey guys! Not much to report this week, except that I’m still working hard on a difficult episode.
Some people say that it’s a good sign when something’s difficult – eat your frog, the obstacle is the way, yada yada – let’s hope they’re right and this episode proves worth the agony.
Right now I feel like I'm not sure if anybody is going to like the next episode. But I remember feeling the same way just before the previous episode was released, and many people thought that was the best episode so far. So I don't know what to think ‍♂ I'll just keep pushing in the direction that feels right, and hope it works out.
Thanks very much for all the supportive comments, here, on Discord, and in DMs. They say everyone is their own worst critic, and I felt like every encouraging message was a signal for me to keep pushing on despite all the doubts and fears that swirl in my head when the going gets tough. Thank you all, your support helps more than you realise.
Okay, that’s it for this sitrep. I'm just going to keep pushing through, and you guys can tell me if it's good or if it sucks Soon™.

3.50 star(s) 117 Votes