yoloman12

Oct 8, 2017
I won't defend him because It's definitely a lot of cash, and he is delivering not nearly enough for it, but I think you have miscalculated it. He still needs to pay taxes. Considering he keeps a decent amount for himself, and also considering he isn't some crappy employer who pays minimum wage, his Patreon income isn't really that much.
even if he has to pay 3000 on taxes then he still earns more than the average person that has a normal job.
and if he earns to little to pay wages for workers. then he needs to work harder because if this is the amount of updates what is equal to 3 months of payments from patreon(or more)than i find it a scam but that is just an opinion of a guy that really works 60 hours a week.

Apr 3, 2019
Because he is self-employed. So depending on where you live that can make a big difference in a lot of terms compared to someone just being employed at a company.
Yeah, and depending on his personal life (married, children, disability, properties he owns and an obnoxious amount of conditions) or if he's using a company to pay himself he may have to pay even less taxes or significantly more. It doesn't change the fact that every job needs to pay taxes, and that, when someone says "I get paid 72k every year" we all know you don't end up with 72k in your bank account.

Breezerr

Dec 16, 2017
even if he has to pay 3000 on taxes then he still earns more than the average person that has a normal job.
and if he earns to little to pay wages for workers. then he needs to work harder because if this is the amount of updates what is equal to 3 months of payments from patreon(or more)than i find it a scam but that is just an opinion of a guy that really works 60 hours a week.
But that wasn't my point. I explicitly stated that he earns a lot of money and that his work isn't enough. My only point was, that your quoted statement about 2 full time employees isn't reasonable.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
But that wasn't my point. I explicitly stated that he earns a lot of money and that his work isn't enough. My only point was, that your quoted statement about 2 full time employees isn't reasonable.
I mean...he technically earns the money he earns. Patreon is in some ways the purest form of capitalism and people can pay him as long and as much as they think his work is worth to them. And while you might think it takes him too much time (and I would actually agree with that assessment) others apparently don't.

Reactions: I-No

Derrida

Jan 30, 2019
People can spend their money however they like, of course. But I can also be amused by the mass self-delusion of the faithful on his discord who find it creditable that crush is really staring at one sentence for hours on end -- which his stated hours and eventual word count would imply. He's so obviously lying (and perhaps lying to himself in the process) about the amount of work he does. Just the merest contact with the real world and the amount of writing, some of it of very high quality, that writers produce for columns, novels, newsletters and substacks, often on a weekly basis, reveals the simple truth: the work arrives at this pace because he wants it to, he very obviously gets something out of it, which is a decent sum of money per month for work he can interminably stretch out because he is paid either way, whether he releases something or not. His weekly updates read to me like an attempt to massage the gap in the minds of his patreons between the fantasy crush, editing away for grueling 11hr day after day, and the real crush who dawdles and dallies and does whatever he feels like on many days.

FromLv

May 8, 2019
People can spend their money however they like, of course. But I can also be amused by the mass self-delusion of the faithful on his discord who find it creditable that crush is really staring at one sentence for hours on end -- which his stated hours and eventual word count would imply. He's so obviously lying (and perhaps lying to himself in the process) about the amount of work he does. Just the merest contact with the real world and the amount of writing, some of it of very high quality, that writers produce for columns, novels, newsletters and substacks, often on a weekly basis, reveals the simple truth: the work arrives at this pace because he wants it to, he very obviously gets something out of it, which is a decent sum of money per month for work he can interminably stretch out because he is paid either way, whether he releases something or not. His weekly updates read to me like an attempt to massage the gap in the minds of his patreons between the fantasy crush, editing away for grueling 11hr day after day, and the real crush who dawdles and dallies and does whatever he feels like on many days.
You can actually watch crush working on FA in real time (If you are high enough patreon) at least while he is working on slides in google doc. And let me tell you the man can work on single pasage for hours like changing words around writing and rewriting a single sentence till he is satisfied with it apparently. Ofc there are long pauses between the edits most likely he is mulling over it. So yeah i don't find it difficult to believe that it is taking him so long to fine tune some of the scenes its just the way he creates. As far as I am concerned as long as he provides top quality content time is not an issue and so far he has not disapointed me so I keep supporting him.

Reactions: SikaNauta

MrAnarchy

Aug 22, 2022
His discord is nothing but sycophantic enablers who continue to coddle him and refuse to hold any accountability or complaint.

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
People can spend their money however they like, of course. But I can also be amused by the mass self-delusion of the faithful on his discord who find it creditable that crush is really staring at one sentence for hours on end -- which his stated hours and eventual word count would imply.
I don't want to be too much of a fatalist, but if gullibility is to blame, then paying for an adult game is probably one of the least harmful ways to be that gullible. There are definitely worse outlets for such money.

Reactions: SikaNauta

Vengeance_11

May 14, 2019
I’m 90% certain that he’s going to push out an unfinished update (with some story about how hard it was for him) despite all the work he’s apparently putting in because he’s done this exact thing before.

It was 1.13 or something where he delayed it for nearly a month to supposedly fill in placeholder text, but the final release was full of placeholders and unfinished coding because he “ran out of time” despite his “best efforts.”
3 weeks of extra dev time and he barely made a scratch in what he said he would do.

Of note is that he schedules updates for the end of a given month, but always finds a reason (big or small) to delay it and push the update over the threshold for him to claim another month’s worth of donations first. Make what you will of that.

Lurker1001

Oct 8, 2020
I wouldn't even pay a good dev monthly money for a game. Maybe when I can afford A/C and a BMW I'll have money to throw at people. Even if this site didn't exist I wouldn't pay. I am not a customer. Also there's complaining because you're an entitled shit head, and then offering constructive criticism and just being realistic about a situation. The update can come out next year, but the reason the update is delayed is actually an interesting subject. If you want me to prove it, I won't even play this update and wait for the next one. Doesn't phase me at all.
To be fair... a lot of the criticism here is far from constructive and just reeks of personal attacks against the dev. It's some of the worst criticism I've seen on this site. it's honestly pretty toxic. At that point if someone has never paid a cent towards the dev and they still do this... what is the point? It just comes off as spite for the sake of spite.

Derrida

Jan 30, 2019
So are any of you guys who are bitterly complaining about this guy actually Paying him anything or have you ever paid him anything?
I've paid for multiple previous releases and when he releases the finished product in 2029 I will pay that for as well. I'm not bitter about either crush or his patreons. I don't typically support month by month but I do buy releases from many, many devs that I've found here because that seems fair to me.

Constructive criticism begins, can only begin, with accurately assessing the problem -- that won't ever happen with crush, at least not yet, because large numbers of people seem willing to support what is clearly a broken working process, riddled, I would contend, with bad faith and self-deceit. Again, totally their prerogative to do so, just as it's mine to point out reality.

vicaddict

Sep 29, 2019
a few things need to happen if he wants people to be happy.
No. Nothing needs to happen. The only people he needs to care about are his patrons and they are content. As long as they pay him, praise him and let him work the way that he does, they can be considered happy. Whether you, I or any other person disagrees with that, doesn't have to bother him.

Why are you under the assumption that things need to change? They haven't changed in years. If anything, I'd say he has been fairly consistent over the last two, three years or so. The output of content may be little, but again, that is only for his patrons to judge and the majority of them seem to be quite happy with the way things go. The money must flow and flow it does.

So, no. NOTHING needs to change.

Could he be more efficient? Transparent? Forthright? Faster? Sure. Nobody can dispute that and it would make a lot of his critics happy. Would it, though? Then again, they are not the people that pay him and would they acknowledge it anyway? Crush has been keeping a steady, but rather slow pace for years now. He hasn't rebooted the game in three or four years. Yet, his critics still bring that up. So why should he do anything to appease them? He doesn't have to. And from his point of view: neither should he.

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
No. Nothing needs to happen. The only people he needs to care about are his patrons and they are content. As long as they pay him, praise him and let him work the way that he does, they can be considered happy. Whether you, I or any other person disagrees with that, doesn't have to bother him.

Why are you under the assumption that things need to change? They haven't changed in years. If anything, I'd say he has been fairly consistent over the last two, three years or so. The output of content may be little, but again, that is only for his patrons to judge and the majority of them seem to be quite happy with the way things go. The money must flow and flow it does.

So, no. NOTHING needs to change.

Could he be more efficient? Transparent? Forthright? Faster? Sure. Nobody can dispute that and it would make a lot of his critics happy. Would it, though? Then again, they are not the people that pay him and would they acknowledge it anyway? Crush has been keeping a steady, but rather slow pace for years now. He hasn't rebooted the game in three or four years. Yet, his critics still bring that up. So why should he do anything to appease them? He doesn't have to. And from his point of view: neither should he.
Could not agree more. This is a sentiment that I'm pretty sure most of us here share. We all know that there is no need/want/reason to change, because we are not the target audience. If the patrons are happy and willing to pay for this kind of development standard, Crush will continue to give them the slop they want.

At the end of the day, we are all just screaming into a void. This is really no different for me from laughing at a lolcow. I once supported this game, pre-rework, and at this point I'm just here for the violence memes. It's a win-win scenario for me: either the game is eventually released and is great, which I will appreciate; or I will continue to have grade-A seethe and cope and excuses to laugh at.

I am thankful for Crush (as well as many other low-effort HTML game devs) as he taught me how a little bit of community engagement, parasocial relationship building, and pity farming goes a long way to trap paypigs. I'm going to start working on my writing skills and set this up as my retirement plan - Set up a text based game with basic mechanics and a decent hook, then drip-feed updates to keep patrons in a money trap. It's free passive income baby!

Apr 23, 2017
Actually, if crush wants people to be happy he needs consistent update times. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact about development. And in fact it's a fact about life, people absolutely do not like the unknown and unpredictable. If he does 2 months late release every time more patreons will stop paying. Also, your whole point is based on something unproven. That patreons are paying and content. I am sure he lost some patreons already.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Marlin Brandy
3.50 star(s) 117 Votes