Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
So trying out the game and I just gotta ask is there no map or anything to know where you are at in the game? Cause at the moment once I leave the library the left part of the screen is just black with me able to pick directions to walk in but I have no idea if I am walking into a dead end or not and sometimes I just seemingly walk in circles cause I can't remember what way I went / came from earlier xD
If you go to the Zephyr building at the beginning and pick up the ZPC you can enable a little GPS map on the right pane. You'll still have to key in (or click) the directions, but it's still a pretty handy guide.

Reactions: ixcez

ixcez

Nov 26, 2018
If you go to the Zephyr building at the beginning and pick up the ZPC you can enable a little GPS map on the right pane. You'll still have to key in (or click) the directions, but it's still a pretty handy guide.
Thanks for the tip it feels like night and day having the ZPC and not having it, only problem with it is that it seems that once your in an area that has pictures attached to it the ZPC dissapears everytime you enter such an area so you have to keep turning it on and off if you want it to display at all time. I also have to say the game overall seems kind of weird since I have no idea what most of the stuff I do have for impact.

Tried to look at the wiki but it seems mostly focused around the multiplayer part and not so much the single player and with the wiki saying that the fun part is to explore and find stuff.

For instance the first area I got to was the Urban forest then I got offered to join the kobolds and I was like sure why not?

Turned into a Kobold and then shortly after I got told to pick one of 8 classes, each of which had special introductions on what the classes does but once I picked one nothing seemed to have changed far as I could tell, tried lvling up some but that didn't seem to do much outside of giving me an extra stat point and some bonus hp after lvling up some.

To some degree I am guessing that this is unfinished content at the moment but it does feel weird to have the game tell me your now XXXX class lvl 1 to lvl up you need to finish missions. Then nothing seems to happen and I can't find any changes about this in game far as I could tell. But I did look up the gildwing kobold event on github cause I got curious and far as I can tell this is it but it feels weird I have to check the whole event out in github to even learn more about this...

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
For instance the first area I got to was the Urban forest then I got offered to join the kobolds and I was like sure why not?

Turned into a Kobold and then shortly after I got told to pick one of 8 classes, each of which had special introductions on what the classes does but once I picked one nothing seemed to have changed far as I could tell, tried lvling up some but that didn't seem to do much outside of giving me an extra stat point and some bonus hp after lvling up some.

To some degree I am guessing that this is unfinished content at the moment but it does feel weird to have the game tell me your now XXXX class lvl 1 to lvl up you need to finish missions. Then nothing seems to happen and I can't find any changes about this in game far as I could tell. But I did look up the gildwing kobold event on github cause I got curious and far as I can tell this is it but it feels weird I have to check the whole event out in github to even learn more about this...
Yeah, this game unfortunately has a bunch of incomplete content scattered around the world. There are a ton of different writers and I imagine there's a bunch of half-baked content in there by people who either lost interest or didn't have time to finish it.

Another thing that doesn't help is that it's based on the classic interactive fiction model, so most of the game's UI is straight out of the 80s with little bits of quality of life (images, hyperlinks…) sprinkled in. The system they're using (Inform 7) also wasn't intended for a project of this size, so building the game is an extremely slow and error prone process. That probably slowed down or dissuaded some contributors as well. They're in the process of switching over to a new engine, but I imagine that's going to take a while.

For what it's worth, there is still a ton of content on offer here. It's a shame one of your first experiences with the game was running into a dead end. :/

It's a shame the wiki fell off like it did. It's pretty useful for some of the somewhat older content (from maybe 2-3 years ago and older) but even the multiplayer pages aren't seeing much in the way of updates lately.

Reactions: ixcez

MangaKing

Oct 16, 2017
Yeah, this game unfortunately has a bunch of incomplete content scattered around the world. There are a ton of different writers and I imagine there's a bunch of half-baked content in there by people who either lost interest or didn't have time to finish it.

Another thing that doesn't help is that it's based on the classic interactive fiction model, so most of the game's UI is straight out of the 80s with little bits of quality of life (images, hyperlinks…) sprinkled in. The system they're using (Inform 7) also wasn't intended for a project of this size, so building the game is an extremely slow and error prone process. That probably slowed down or dissuaded some contributors as well. They're in the process of switching over to a new engine, but I imagine that's going to take a while.

For what it's worth, there is still a ton of content on offer here. It's a shame one of your first experiences with the game was running into a dead end. :/

It's a shame the wiki fell off like it did. It's pretty useful for some of the somewhat older content (from maybe 2-3 years ago and older) but even the multiplayer pages aren't seeing much in the way of updates lately.
I imagine more people would edit the wiki if they made it easier to register, like not being forced having a multiplayer account to edit, if you only play single player

Reactions: Sarkath

ixcez

Nov 26, 2018

Well my overall experience wasn't bad so to speak it was more of a what the hell should I do? Then when you slowly stat learning how the game works and find stuff it just went nowhere. Then when you read the wiki it goes all the point of the game is to explore and find stuff out on your own!

But then if you start certain stuff it goes nowhere and you can't know it goes nowhere since there isn't a quest log or anything far as I can tell, since interacting with the journal only seemed to restore humanity to me, so you have no idea if the stuff is finished or not. But at the same time all the content is seemingly up on github but it feels tedious and clunky to have the player need to go on github scroll through all the events content and read a bunch of text to see if it's going anywhere.

A huge QoL improvement in a huge and ambitious game like this one would be a simple quest log or something similar that would tell the player firstly even have a quest, mission, direction to go at or something then if their making progress or have a note saying this is end of current content or something. Instead the wiki makes an illusion of that the player has to look around on their own to find out what to do.

It reminds me of the old Myst games where you had to keep notes of your own that my dad used to play cause there were no game guides or such back then and the puzzles in the game were really hard and there were close to no hints on how to proceed in the game. So while this kind of game content works it requires the game to either be finished or to somehow tell the player that this is where it ends for now.

Instead of as you mention having someone hit a dead end and then you have no idea you've hit a dead end with how the game is made and presented. I personally am someone who likes to write a lot which is why I've worked on some wiki sites and done some short guides on some of the games on here without them but I can understand that a wiki to a game like this where pretty much only the content creators should be the one's adding wiki pages to their own stuff makes sense. Unless a player finds each content and then matches it to their info on github to then write on the wiki. Which would be a lot of work in my mind.

Still getting longwinded, thanks for the response and the game does have promise, a lot of it actually but as you mentioned the chosen game engine and in my opinion some lack of QoL features makes the game a bit of a chore / tedious in my opinion to play right now.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
I imagine more people would edit the wiki if they made it easier to register, like not being forced having a multiplayer account to edit, if you only play single player
Good point. To be fair, I completely understand why it's like that. Wikis are heavily targeted by spambots, and they're targeted in a way that makes it difficult to keep up with the mess (especially for a volunteer project like this).

Well my overall experience wasn't bad so to speak it was more of a what the hell should I do? Then when you slowly stat learning how the game works and find stuff it just went nowhere. Then when you read the wiki it goes all the point of the game is to explore and find stuff out on your own!
Yeah, there's a bit of a learning curve if you don't have experience with interactive fiction titles. You're kinda stuck learning an archaic user interface while trying to figure out what the point of all this is.

It doesn't help that FS has been in development for over a decade, and some of the older content doesn't really make use of the new features. Like, the game actually does have a quest tracker, but it isn't used by a whole lot of quests. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed during the rewrite.

It reminds me of the old Myst games where you had to keep notes of your own that my dad used to play cause there were no game guides or such back then and the puzzles in the game were really hard and there were close to no hints on how to proceed in the game. So while this kind of game content works it requires the game to either be finished or to somehow tell the player that this is where it ends for now.
Yep, exactly! There is actually a way to take freeform notes in-game, but the commands for it are forgettable and cumbersome enough that I just keep a text editor open.

The problem is that FS is inconsistent. I seem to remember things being a lot easier to keep track of when the game was still in its early days. I'm not sure whether it's because there was less content, the content that was added just grew increasingly complex, or (more likely) a healthy mixture of both.

Instead of as you mention having someone hit a dead end and then you have no idea you've hit a dead end with how the game is made and presented. I personally am someone who likes to write a lot which is why I've worked on some wiki sites and done some short guides on some of the games on here without them but I can understand that a wiki to a game like this where pretty much only the content creators should be the one's adding wiki pages to their own stuff makes sense. Unless a player finds each content and then matches it to their info on github to then write on the wiki. Which would be a lot of work in my mind.
The wiki is mostly community run, but as MangaKing mentioned above you need to create a character in the multiplayer in order to register a wiki account. I suspect that has to do with spam protection.

Considering how often I've dug into the sources to answer questions that occasionally pop up here, I'm honestly considering it. I don't really have much interest in the multiplayer version, but I'd love to help more people find their way around the single player version.

I'm also (very slowly) putting together a cheat guide as well, since that tends to be a source of frequently asked questions here. If all else fails, maybe I can extend that to be a full game guide.

Still getting longwinded, thanks for the response and the game does have promise, a lot of it actually but as you mentioned the chosen game engine and in my opinion some lack of QoL features makes the game a bit of a chore / tedious in my opinion to play right now.
Unfortunately the choice of engine makes adding additional QoL kind of difficult. If you check out the inventory screen you can tell that they tried to make it as simple as possible, but it ends up turning into hyperlink soup very quickly.

I really hope they can get the Godot port off the ground pretty quickly. I'd love to be able to openly recommend this game to people, but having to add in that giant asterisk every time kinda hurts, haha.

Jan 28, 2020

Updates
Alpha: The hybrid offspring of the Thought Eater now has some neat new artwork to his name, showing off his full tentacled body. [Wahn]
Challenge Of The Alphas: This outside event has been reworked. Now the player may choose to intervene, stay and watch, or simply leave. Upon intervening, the player will have to actually fight either the wolf or the husky. Winning results in fairly the same outcome as before with some slight edits, but losing leads to an entirely new sex scene. Choosing to watch leads to a shorter steamy scene between the two. The event is now also open for future expansions along a possible event chain. [Gherod]
Cleo: Should you impregnate 'Good' Alexandra, she can now give birth to a daughter. As she grows up you may witness her develop in twelve scenes along with Alexandra coming to grips with being a mother for the first time. [Prometheus]
Damien: His draconic devil variant now has 5 new sex scenes (currently 6 in total) that can happen randomly upon choosing to be with him in the Hellfire Club. Two of them, along with his already existing foot worship scene, are singular scenes, while the remaining three are part of a branching one. Be warned that this is extreme submissive-oriented content and no amount of domineering attitude can change that! [Gherod]
Dark Tyrant/Fallen King: A high enough value of hunger will now make a special "feeding" scene available upon prompting your dark gooey companion for sex. If you are an "Automatic Survival" player, worry not, as for those cases, the scene will always be available. [Gherod]
Dino Pack: Now those who find themselves consistently losing to these creatures can embrace their role as prey, and find themselves trapped with a pack that grows ever more powerful. This takes the form of an extended playable bad end with no escape. [Qazarar]
Dreams: An event in the park can unlock the ability to purposefully dream, and fill your sleep with fantasies. Current dream options are found through accessing the new magic drake content, but more will arrive soon. [Qazarar]
Gender Pronouns: The pronouns your character uses have been added to the top status bar, to be shown directly after your name. You can click that to switch between automatic pronouns depending on your genitals, or specifically picked pronouns that will not change despite what your character does or does not have in their pants. [Wahn]
Magic Drake: Players who have been changed by the magic drake may now have a chance to find themselves seeing a familiar face when returning to the library, leading to a variety of new interactions. [Qazarar]
Satyr Frat 1 - Introduction: The initial event (Free Drink) leading to the satyr frat party has been rebuilt and expanded, making it more straightforward and opening up the fun for everyone. You now have a row of options straight from the get-go, without any need to drink satyr wine yourself if you just want to go to the party. Well, or you can try go mug the satyrs and take their barrel from them... [Wahn]
Satyr Frat 2 - Kerr & Talov: The two satyrs that are starting all the fun in the PAN fraternity now have a dual NPC to their name, and you can talk with them to learn who they are, why they chose to come to the fraternity, where the satyr wine barrel came from, and more! [Wahn]
Satyr Frat 3 - Frat House: The frat house of the PAN frat is now a fully navigable location with its own set of maps for a three story building, plus basement. This includes variable room descriptions for days/nights (normal/party mode) as well as the progression of satyr-infection in the frat. [Wahn]
Satyr Frat 4 - Richard Artwork: New and shiny artwork for Richard has been completed, allowing you to feast your eyes on the dude in his human and satyr form. (Note: Richard's content during the party has not been updated yet, only what happens with him during the initial scene with the satyrs is newly polished. More to come.) [Wahn]

Bugfixes & Balance Patches
Alexandra ('Good'): Fixed some errant mentions of locations.
Blanche: Fixed number of children born in initial litters to better reflect existing scenes.
Challenge Of The Alphas: None of the outcomes reward the player with a charisma stat increase any longer.
Dark Tyrant/Fallen King: Fixed some typos on his sex scenes.
Korvin: The talk option about his past that leads to the Trucker Bar event has been adjust to make clearer that there are two options for where it might be - the High Rise District, or the Warehouse District (as the bar is somewhere near the border between them).
Trickster: Code has been updated to use the most recent fight outcome definitions. The fights against the male Feral Wolves and Alpha Wolf should now behave properly.
Trickster: Player no longer gets infected if they choose to flee combat.

Upcoming/In the Works
These are projects and commissions that our writers are committed to, something for you to look forward for the future.
Alexandra ('Good'):
Continuation of her storyline bring the two of you into direct conflict with the Overmind in a five-floor 'dungeon' in similar style to the Bouncy Castle, though with a different theme. [Prometheus]
Blanche & Family: Blanche's family is quick to expand, each with their own way of helping each other in addition to the scavenging that they all take part in. You may have already met Sturm, but her many other children are much more enthusiastic to meet the one who rescued their mother. Also, further development of a certain person from her past... [Prometheus & Lost Directions]
Carl Rework: After the soldier squad has been completed in its more detailed and darker, Carl will be updated to gain more depth and fit the content before. [Wahn]
Direwolf: Further interactions with the primordial beast, including taking home a new direwolf pet... though who's really in charge? [Qazarar]
Dragon NPC: In a not at all suspicious manner, a stranger gifts you with a dragon egg. You will be able to influence its appearance including sex, form, and colouration. The aim is that you will also be able to influence its personality too by the way that you interact with it and others after it hatches. [Prometheus]
Fang: Should you want to, you can request that Fang instead of becoming your Beta, that he become your Alpha instead. With the lessons learnt along the way, he will be a gentler leader than he would if he established his dominance through other means. (Both for Male and Female Fang) [Prometheus]
Library Additions: Adding more areas for the Grey abbey to make it feel more like an abbey, said areas being created; courtyard additions, a chapel wing, workshop wing, reception area, with more to come. [Lost Directions]
New Bull Character: A new bulky male bull character will be added to the game, with whom it will be possible to have some fun with. He is a friend of Cherry's. [Gherod]
Satyr Frat - Frat Members: A group npc for some core members of the PAN fraternity will be set up in their hangout spot on the second floor, allowing for one or two bits of sexy fun to be had for a start. [Wahn]
Satyr Frat - Richard: In an upcoming expansion, Richard's role in the PAN fraternity will be able to be expanded, with your being able to arrange things for him to assume a (at first temporary) leadership position. [Wahn]
Soldier Squad Rewrite Completion: The gritty reboot for the soldier squad will continue, bringing further developments in the tale of Allen's betrayal of his subordinates. [Wahn]
Wyvern Patriarch: More ways to have fun with the big wyvern will be added. [Gherod]

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
SO...anyone've tried out the new "Godot WIP Version"?
It definitely doesn't feel like an improved version from the player's end ... not even as good as "quest" - and that one is already quite cult like...

Wolfkins

Apr 10, 2020
I've searched this thread post but haven't found the info I'm looking for, I have a feme herm MC which I'm trying to get impregnated but it doesn't seem to be taking. Also when I try searching for a specific locale I'm told I should train my perception, where & how exactly can I do such?

ZaxarMillion

Jul 13, 2017
I can't seem to get access to the Wolfman Lair after beating Septus several times and he says to go hunt for the "entrance" in the "warehouse" disctrict, so I go to the warehouse district and hunt for "Entrance" / "Entrance to the lair" , but it never appears all I get on the first search is the "Milking Facility Entrance" Is the Wolfman Lair level gated or something?

IEatCereal

Jun 9, 2017
I can't seem to get access to the Wolfman Lair after beating Septus several times and he says to go hunt for the "entrance" in the "warehouse" disctrict, so I go to the warehouse district and hunt for "Entrance" / "Entrance to the lair" , but it never appears all I get on the first search is the "Milking Facility Entrance" Is the Wolfman Lair level gated or something?
I think I got their in the past via outside exploration/ hunt wolfman lair. By outside exploration I mean go to the abby and either go west until you exit and then hunt or just start hunting in the central area of the ground floor.

ZaxarMillion

Jul 13, 2017
I think I got their in the past via outside exploration/ hunt wolfman lair. By outside exploration I mean go to the abby and either go west until you exit and then hunt or just start hunting in the central area of the ground floor.
Sadly didn't work, I appreciate the attempt though!

RNPA1

Dec 11, 2021
SO...anyone've tried out the new "Godot WIP Version"?
It definitely doesn't feel like an improved version from the player's end ... not even as good as "quest" - and that one is already quite cult like...
I can't even try it because it crashes my pc.

KrallElite

Oct 13, 2021
Is the new magic drake content just the story/lore bits you get after going back to the bunker? Not complaining, just want to make sure i'm not missing anything else.

iball

Aug 4, 2017
Is it possible to change the background color of the stat menu (top bar)? I am aware I can change the color of the text and hyperlinks, but I still hate looking at the bright white box.

Reactions: oroboros941

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Is it possible to change the background color of the stat menu (top bar)? I am aware I can change the color of the text and hyperlinks, but I still hate looking at the bright white box.
The stat bar is just inverted text, so for that bar your text color will be the background and vice versa. Unfortunately, that behavior can't be changed directly.

The best you can do is lower the contrast a bit. For example, I changed the text color to (224, 224, 224), which makes it a bit less harsh (both the background of the stat bar and the story text). Still kinda bright, but noticeably less so.

I believe this is an engine limitation, so I don't think it's something they'll be able to easily fix.

iball

Aug 4, 2017
The stat bar is just inverted text, so for that bar your text color will be the background and vice versa. Unfortunately, that behavior can't be changed directly.

The best you can do is lower the contrast a bit. For example, I changed the text color to (224, 224, 224), which makes it a bit less harsh (both the background of the stat bar and the story text). Still kinda bright, but noticeably less so.

I believe this is an engine limitation, so I don't think it's something they'll be able to easily fix.
Thanks, I played with the colors to get it to be more tolerable.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of rachel and the mental mice storyline?

ZilBorb

Jul 5, 2019
Is it just me, or does github no longer show any search results from the FS repo for some reason

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 13 Votes