mimusstudios

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
Now that's one hell of a way to fluff up "RNG" :ROFLMAO:
Haha for sure, I mainly mean I'm simulating the economy using various stochastic differential equations, which is just a type of RNG of course. I'm currently using just a regular geometric brownian motion for equities and an OU-process for commodities with drifts. If you're curious you can talk to Lia at the Trade Union and she'll give a breakdown lmao.

Reactions: Aikosan

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
Well, I don't mind the grind to raise trust so much, but I hope there's going to be some way to raise stats like int and dex without depending on critical rolls.

Oh, and the delay between menu selections is killing me. The delay after an Influence choice in particular.

Reactions: Arkady

mimusstudios

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
Well, I don't mind the grind to raise trust so much, but I hope there's going to be some way to raise stats like int and dex without depending on critical rolls.

Oh, and the delay between menu selections is killing me. The delay after an Influence choice in particular.
If you mean the text speed you can adjust that in the settings menu. Or just click through it using left click to speed up the text. If you mean delay between passage it’s because I need to simulate an entire economy every time time passes in the background along with decaying traits of every character. I’ll find a way to optimize that later on.

You can currently increase dex at the barracks and intelligence in the library (library is not done though). Mosr stats can be increased but I’m constantly adding more opportunities to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: docclox

x666

Dec 10, 2017
this looks really interesting, I'll definitely will be watching this! Good on you dev

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
Due to medical issues, I have difficulty reading. Is there a way of enabling copying text so my TTS could work? Thx.

jekno

Jul 23, 2021
Can't save game to disk, getting this error:

Code:
An error has occurred. You may be able to continue, but some parts may not work properly.

Error: locations.get(...) is null.

Stack Trace:
@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html line 24132 > eval:11:23
_marshal/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:280254
_marshal@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:280225
value@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:284990
uiBuildSaves/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:307299
onClickFnWrapper/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:45634
dispatch@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:57:43064
add/v.handle@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:57:41048
($PathToGame's value was the correct path)

sarin555

Jul 3, 2017
Don't suppose you can make it optional to turn all character images off. Some people like to use imagination.

In any event, looking forward to this.

Reactions: Ethernetwork

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
FC i think is a game that caters n indulge player's power fantasy... while this game's concept seems to be the exact opposite (i'm a bit alarmed by phase 1 plan to be grind monotonous phase as slave, that doesn't sound like it's gonna leave a good first impression)

The catharsis from the rise of power has to be really satisfying if you want players to forgive being subjected to those early grinds

But, if the game is intended to reach other niches (not the typical FC fans, those who want to play as slave), then ignore my comments lol

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
Well. This has my interest. I really loved Free Cities. Till a couple years ago, when the modders turned what was a good game into a circle jerk over spreadsheets. Tried to retry it a month ago and couldn't even be assed to make it through the creation start-up. Hope this doesn't replicate what the modders turned FC into. *watched*

mimusstudios

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
Can't save game to disk, getting this error:

Code:
An error has occurred. You may be able to continue, but some parts may not work properly.

Error: locations.get(...) is null.

Stack Trace:
@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html line 24132 > eval:11:23
_marshal/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:280254
_marshal@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:280225
value@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:284990
uiBuildSaves/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:307299
onClickFnWrapper/<@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:24132:45634
dispatch@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:57:43064
add/v.handle@file:///$PathToGame/FCO%20V0.0.1/FCO.html:57:41048
($PathToGame's value was the correct path)
This is a known error and fixed in the next version which I might just release by today. You should save by using the save hotkey 'S' rather than the save menu.

• Red Heart
Reactions: jekno

taler

Oct 5, 2017
FreeCities is a power fantasy so starting out as a slave pretty much means you're not exactly capturing the original audience, I guess this is a decision based on what the author wanted to write and not really a market-fit approach. Why not just make a separate VN instead of shoehorning a VN into a sandbox framework like FC?

In regards to a modern update to FC IMO the most important thing to build into your engine is dynamic 3D character generation. You should stop everything else and do this first if you're ever planning on making it happen. Making the right decisions around it is key as it's 2022 and this is easily doable and will save a ton of work down the road vs creating manual characters.

mimusstudios

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
FreeCities is a power fantasy so starting out as a slave pretty much means you're not exactly capturing the original audience, I guess this is a decision based on what the author wanted to write and not really a market-fit approach. Why not just make a separate VN instead of shoehorning a VN into a sandbox framework like FC?

In regards to a modern update to FC IMO the most important thing to build into your engine is dynamic 3D character generation. You should stop everything else and do this first if you're ever planning on making it happen. Making the right decisions around it is key as it's 2022 and this is easily doable and will save a ton of work down the road vs creating manual characters.
As for the autogeneration, I couldn't agree more, this is the largest piece on my docket right now after getting all the engines to work. As for capturing the right audience, you are 100% correct, but the powertrip that FC players are used to is something I'm going to try to capture by the late stages of the game. The reason why I wanted to expand FC was that I loved the premise but was always disappointed at the lack of MC interactions.

3.90 star(s) 17 Votes